Thinking Of Buying A Centurion

22 replies to this topic

Poll: Thinking Of Buying A Centurion (63 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Centurions have you piloted?

1. A (46 votes [29.49%])

Percentage of vote: 29.49%

2. AL (44 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

3. D (29 votes [18.59%])

Percentage of vote: 18.59%

4. Wang (30 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

5. AH (7 votes [4.49%])

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

I can't decide between A and AL, I like to have balistics but a dual ppc build with backup weapons seems nice. I've made a pros/cons list for the two variants:

A pros:
Better heat efficiency
Can Equip Balistics
Has an extra missile slot

A cons:
Can't equip PPCs
Only two energy hardpoints
Depends on ammo for main weapons

AL pros:
Can hold PPCs
Has 2 extra energy hardpoints
Doesn't depend on ammo for main weapons

AL cons:
Can't hold balistics
Has one less missile slot
Would run hot with my intended set up

Could you guys who have used the centurion say what you liked and disliked about each and tell me of any big issues you had while piloting it? Also I don't plan on buying the D unless I decide to get to elite, the D is a bit too expensive for me.

#2 Sasha Volkova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 449 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Personally I loved my A model... My favorite though was the Wang :b but at the moment the Wang is mostly missile-fodder :b

A major issue with the A and with any centurion is the fact that its a medium mech and has limited weight to play around with...

Then again they can be made fast and effective if you really want to play them :b an issue though is that its tough to pull off.

Edited by 0okami, 21 March 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#3 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

I enjoyed using the hunchback and the trial cicada and treb. Thats why I'm hoping to learn more about the Centurion.

#4 Alexanderwolf

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

I love my A model with a AC/10 3 srm2 streaks and 2 medium lazer beams, through in a 260 xl engine and its a beast. But again the D model is just as good and faster with the 300xl and if you get it elited you move at 106kph, but you do lose one SSRM2.

#5 Marik Steele

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

If you have or plan on buying a Yen-Lo-Wang, be advised its maximum allowable engine rating was recently upped to 300. That means you can rip the included engine out of a CN9-D and put it in the YLW, which was the biggest reason the CN9-D was my next mech purchase after the YLW.

I've been running both all-LRM and all-SRM builds in both the CN9-D and CN9-A with varying success. Bad rounds 100 to 125 mech xp, good rounds 600 to 1000+. Running all LRMs I've had any and all kinds of the lightest mechs tear me apart, but as long as they don't find me, or they think I'm running LRMs when I'm really running SRMs...

Edited by Marik Steele, 21 March 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#6 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

The A's claim to fame is its 3 missile slots. It makes it a very dangerous hit and run striker. Don't even bother with a ballistic on the right arm. Paint it white and call it "White Zombie".

The AL is a great variant, arguably the most flexible of the lot. Next to the Wang, it is my favorite Centurion.

I recommend you get them all. They're all pretty good, and unbelievably hard to kill.

#7 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Currently I am leaning towards the A, hit and run raids sound pretty good, or I could set it up as a sniper.

#8 Duncan Longwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

I prefer the A. You get the 3 missile hard-points and can run a 2Mlas, 3SRM6 combo with/without Artemis depending on desired armor and ammo, and max standard engine for zombie fun. You can tweak the same build with a max XL engine and add an AC2 for some added effectiveness at range... and dakka dakka. I don't like counting on keeping my arms through a whole match though. :huh:

#9 loliza

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

dont buy a centurion its not worth it anymore since srm nerf you cant go hard brawler style anymore and there isnt anything that any other mech cant do better now take a hunch instead

#10 Iscariott

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'll take the wang over a 4g any day of the week thank you very much.

The cent is one durable mech, even with an XL engine(I run a XL300 in my wang). If you are observant and keep in mind how much damage you are likely to take in various situations, and obviously stay out of the situations where you cannot survive the incomming damage, you can blast fools left and right with most of the cent models.

The ac20 2mlas xl300 wang w/ ams is a beast. See internals? Kill mech in one well placed shot. Brawlin'? Brought a shield arm. In too deep? fast mechs die last. If you DONT like ac20s then its not the mech for you. No other build is worth while.

#11 Kaylos Thex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

I have all 4 Centurions. It was my first mech.

Of all the types, I find the AL to be the most versatile.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1cc7584bf72adb8

This was the first setup that I found that I was finally able to get some success it.

The ER PPC allows you to use the weapon indiscriminately without fear of ammo. The TAG kinda works a lot like a under barrel laser sight on a real firearm so you know when to fire the PPC (ER so you can also use it at close range). Plus it cuts out alot of the ECM jamming up your LRM/Streak.

Lot's of people go for larger engines for more speed, but I never found the 300XL on the D model to be that much of an advantage.

I had a tough time with the Wang, since the arm gets shot off a lot.
The D model has a second ballistic slot, but to be honest its very tough to find the weight to use it. I found the A to be better than the D.

Edited by Kaylos Thex, 21 March 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#12 Sonofgod

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

D with XL355, full armor, 2x6srm, 2xML, runs 126 kph speed tweaked. Unexpectedly fast, can take lotts of punnishment before goes down.

#13 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

Posted Image

Check the build sheet and discussion here: CN9-A Grimm Variant (XL Config)

Edited by Mason Grimm, 21 March 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#14 Tekadept

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

I like the 9A with lb10x 2medlasers and 2SRM6 1 SRM4 quite fun build to get lights with. just make sure you open the missile doors first :mellow:

#15 Tharin Ward

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

I have run the D, the A and the AL variant. I prefer personally the A model. I had a heck of a time working through the basic and elite skills with the AL, it was constintly overheating on me. Might have been my builds, as I was fairly new to the game when I was doing them...my first mech 3 mechs were the cents. I have settled on using the A model. Currently, I have an xl engine, 3 lrm 5's 2 ml and a uac/5. I either use the lrm's or srm 6's. 4's if I decide to use artemis again. Now, the A model has as you can see, some fairly wide possible loadouts for a 50 ton machine.

The biggest thing to remember, xl or not, you are NOT a heavy or assualt class mech, try to never get caught in a brawl with anything bigger then you are. Keeping moving is the number one key to using a medium mech. Vary your speed. Use the torso swivel to put the left arm in the way of as many incoming rounds as you can before it dies. Of course, there is one thing that everyone here has in common. We all have our opinions on which loadout or variant is best. Take advise great, just rememeber, its YOUR mech, YOUR game. Do what YOU enjoy. Good luck and welcome to the ranks of the Centurion!!

#16 PapajIGC

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

CN9-D

TBT-7M

They're basically the same mech only one can jump jet around being a huge annoyance whilst pelting you with SRMs and Lasers while the other just annoys opponents ear drums but remains heat neutral except on Caustic and Tourmaline. Figured I'd throw in the Treb build just because.

I never played any Cent but the D (mainly a heavy/assault pilot so I speed leveled via GXP the other variants minus the Yen-Lo - did the same for the Trebuchets to play with that 7M) but I can't say I'm disappointed with my decision. I always was curious about "what if" on that 3rd SRM6 but ultimately the speed is what gets you kills, so I went for the larger engine capacity because nothing except a light/Cicada or a brawler Trebuchet will keep up/be able to run away from you.

Edited by PapajIGC, 21 March 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#17 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:30 AM

i definately love the wang - ac/20 packs a punch...but is not always easy to pilot as everyone will be going for your arm like it was free candy xD
good zombie mech and i like the cbill bonus of course

AL is probably my most preferred cent, because i like ppc's...i use it with a ppc, tag, lrm 15(could be lrm 10, not sure about that right now) and 2 mlas...works very well!
to be honest i don't know any downsides to this build/variant...it performs quite effectively, runs maybe a little hot, but its a good support mech

i bought the A just for mastering the centurion...
the only ballistics i like are mgs and ac/20s...therefore i leave the arms empty most times and go for a 1 mlas, tag, 3 lrm 10 build
it's not necessarily fun, only effective from time to time, a bit cheesy...but you have to grind the xp somehow...

personally i would recommend the YLW - and the AL only if you like energy weapons
if you prefer ballistics i'd go for the A and D

#18 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

I play the

9A with 2 LRM15+ Atremis, Tag, 1 MedLaser, AMS, 200XL 71.3 Kmph

the

9AL with 3 LPLaser, AMS. 275 XL 98 Kmph

and the

9D with 2x AC2, 2 MedLaser, 1SRM4, AMS, XL300 106.0 KMPH

All are making Fun for me. ;)

Edited by Revorn, 22 March 2013 - 03:45 AM.

#19 loliza

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:44 AM

if anything take the A first its cheap(both engine and weapons) and has the "core" build also dont take an xl engine you will have survivability as an atlas (almost) if u keep away from the xl engine and torso twist properly, i have been in brawls on my A with multiple mechs and came out on top, it is not uncommon to make around 800 dmg in a round with atleast a few kills and assists to show for it

your loadout should be something along wth: dhs, endo-steel std 260 engine 3xsrm6 2x ml 300 srm ammo and max armor and throw in an ams for the lulz

The A runs VERY VERY cool allowing you to alpha on every cooldown atleast 7-10 times in a row

Edited by loliza, 22 March 2013 - 03:45 AM.

#20 BrokenDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMiddlesex(UK)

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

I like my Centurions. (A+AL)
They are not fast> (To XL or not to XL. 'tis nobler by far . . . . what tosh!)
I have never topped the score board and I'm not likely to.
I enjoy playingwith the CN9s!
Play the mech the way you like it and change it to suit.
The only rule of the Centurion is "put weapons in the CT!"
I even like my Centurion when it is still alive at the end of a game with no arms, one leg and still fighting!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users