Ask The Devs 34 - Answers

102 replies to this topic

#61 Alilua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

Glad to see a community feedback with actual feedback.
I might even buy mc come 4 months.

#62 Marj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

House Jurai has members spread all over the planet. Splitting us up into different regions will not go down well.

No TDM? One of the reasons there's so few 8 mans is the base capping BS. I can understand not putting it in for pugs, but it's almost required for team competition. It's not difficult to code...so why not try it?

#63 Terror Teddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

A: We don’t have a standard conversion rule of thumb. We ***** each weapon, how it’s being used, what the desired role we want for MWO, and tune it accordingly. With each new `Mech we add, or new feature, we have to reevaluate the performance of every weapon.

Well, you really should re-evaluate the MG for lighter mechs with multiple ballistic points.

As a crit seeking assistant weapon to a larger gun on heavier mechs it might work but only there - it becomes useless on lighter mechs more dependant on ballistics.

#64 Mokou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 417 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:45 AM

Oh, my science-physical question have been ignored. ; Д;

>We would like players to be able to create and test builds before buying them.
Liek it.

#65 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

View PostFupDup, on 22 March 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

:)

View PostBryan Ekman, on 22 March 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

Butane9000: Why has no new mechs/content been announced since December?

A: Plenty of content has been announced since then. We are holding back `Mech announcements to create space for some upcoming <redacted>.

Pando: Will we ever see "Longbow" coupled with "Arrow IV?"

A: Hmm Unseen. No comment.

Well, one can hope, can one not?

#66 Psydotek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 745 posts
  • LocationClan 'Mechs? Everywhere? GOOD!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostComassion, on 22 March 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

Also, as the group play experience is far superior to the pug play experience, the game may have reached a point where pug-only guys are really getting bored of it, and either seek out groups or quit the game.

I'm in the latter group. Well, I haven't quit, I just haven't played for the last few months as I wait it out for content and balancing that appeals to me.

Irvine: HI, any ETA on integrated comms? Haven't heard alot about it in a while.

A: I would hope to see it around Community Warfare. However, we find most players still prefer to use their own VOIP solutions.

I think that's only because there is no integrated VOIP to use...

Edited by Psydotek, 23 March 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#67 ExAstris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostPsydotek, on 23 March 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

I'm in the latter group. Well, I haven't quit, I just haven't played for the last few months as I wait it out for content and balancing that appeals to me.

Same, I pug 95% of my games. I'd be interested to see what exactly constitutes the majority of players playing in groups. Because I play in groups... 5% of the time. If they're counting me, then thats a pretty meaningless statistic. But if they actually mean that over 50% of all the players actually playing at any given time are in a group at that moment, then it might be significant. Still, I'm pretty sure the number of players who prefer pugging, plus those that pug in their spare time when their regular team isn't around, would prefer MWO to have some more pug friendly attributes.

The biggest factor in that is that proper team construction parameters are utterly dependent on ECM, but its mal-effects extend far beyond punishing puggers who cannot check their team ECM counts before dropping.

But even beyond pet-peeves that have kept me from enjoying the game, the pugger experience is precisely what new players are going to have to deal with. Thus, building the game in such a way that it doesn't punish solo players should always be on the short-list of design goals.

#68 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Can we please <for the love of Bob and the 9 million threads dedicated to it...> get film grain removed or at least have the toggle for it?

This is a standard option on every game that implements film grain and HDR/Bloom.
The film grain is ugly, it hurts my feeling. <I have only one feeling, and only one nerve, sorry>
Use of SweetFX is discouraged, editing of User.cfg is discouraged.

This has been an ongoing issue longer than the introduction of Starwars, and it really is a very simple thing to do that will NOT destabilize the client, netcode, or LRMS/SRMS nor will it cause an anomoly or paradox thereby causeing the instant loss of MC sales or destruction of the metaverse as we know it.

And yes... Everybody has got time fo dat.

#69 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostHavok1978, on 23 March 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Can we please &lt;for the love of Bob and the 9 million threads dedicated to it...&gt; get film grain removed or at least have the toggle for it?

This is a standard option on every game that implements film grain and HDR/Bloom.
The film grain is ugly, it hurts my feeling. &lt;I have only one feeling, and only one nerve, sorry&gt;
Use of SweetFX is discouraged, editing of User.cfg is discouraged.

This has been an ongoing issue longer than the introduction of Starwars, and it really is a very simple thing to do that will NOT destabilize the client, netcode, or LRMS/SRMS nor will it cause an anomoly or paradox thereby causeing the instant loss of MC sales or destruction of the metaverse as we know it.

And yes... Everybody has got time fo dat.
yes!!!! We need at least the option to turn it off!

#70 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

I also love how I have asked the same question in the past 2 ask the DEVS and its went unanswered. And I was the 2nd person to ask a question in this ask the DEVS so it can't be said that my question didn't get read or noticed lol. I guess it was to hard of a question to answer lol.

#71 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 23 March 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

yes!!!! We need at least the option to turn it off!

Or in the case of Mass Effect 3, turn it on! I'm still annoyed they removed it. :)

#72 Mortenson

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

SgtKinCaiD: Can we have a command chair post that explain CLEARLY your statement on the regional server matter ?

A: Sure, when we have a final direction. For now it’s pretty straightforward. Each region will have their own MWO server(s). Most players can create accounts on each server. Some regions will be locked and only available to players located in said region. There will most likely be no central account concept, where you are able to select the region you want to play in. That’s the super quick high level.

I have beem playing MWO since it entered open beta, and like a lot of people here I have made friends I drop with who live in the US. I live in NZ. I really like the idea of a regional server, but I would also like to play with my US friends without having to grind a second set of mechs etc.

However you impliment the regional servers, please consider doing so in a way that alows people to connect with different servers off their one account so they can continue to play with their friends in different regions.

Thanks.

#73 BrkDncr

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

I'm very disappointed in what is sounding like the pushing back of integrated comms. Comms makes the game easier for Pick-up groups to play. Pick up groups will likely be your best method of selling the game to people, as I don't think it's common for a group of people to suddenly buy and install a game at the same time, then play and pay often.

I also think the mute option should be reconsidered. Muting a person is almost a necessity when working with a MMO, and will be a requirement if comms doesn't get shuttered.

#74 Critical Fumble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

View PostBrkDncr, on 23 March 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

I'm very disappointed in what is sounding like the pushing back of integrated comms. Comms makes the game easier for Pick-up groups to play. Pick up groups will likely be your best method of selling the game to people, as I don't think it's common for a group of people to suddenly buy and install a game at the same time, then play and pay often.

I also think the mute option should be reconsidered. Muting a person is almost a necessity when working with a MMO, and will be a requirement if comms doesn't get shuttered.

Agreed, stalling on things like this is stunting the game's growth.

There's absolute bare-bones minimum player training, and no real support for social functions in-game. The new players can easily lose interest if they can't get a hold on the game (and by extension, get some satisfaction) and even if they slog through, they can lose interest from poor social implementation.

The logical progression, players should go: total newb -> basic skill -> advanced skill + social involvement -> system mastery + player org member. There aren't any systems that support that yet, though.

#75 Hellboy561

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, United Kingdom

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

Thank you Devs, i apologise for the comment i left in the AtD for this month, but apparently it got you guys to pull your finger out as I am seeing alot less copy and pasted answers!!! So all is good!!

Keep up the good work

#76 TK42Kahn

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

Irvine: HI, any ETA on integrated comms? Haven't heard alot about it in a while.

A: I would hope to see it around Community Warfare. However, we find most players still prefer to use their own VOIP solutions.

Ok no offense...but seriously with this?

Of course we still prefer our own VOIP...YOU DONT HAVE ANY!

We dont actually have a choice in the matter. Either we use third party VOIP or we just dont communicate.
Maybe if you had your own VOIP, people wouldnt have to go to their third party programs to communicate. Then maybe there would be less cheese filled mechanic exploitation like sync dropping 8-mans.

In-Game VOIP would add a HUGE amount of new-player experience. Allowing new folks to catch on rather quickly how to play instead of having to dig through months of convoluted, rage-filled, game-hate inducing forums to even get an idea of what they are supposed to be doing.

#77 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

Interesting answers.

#78 Zynk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

When will you be adding guild functions?

#79 Mordynak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 374 posts
  • LocationThe United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostTK42Kahn, on 24 March 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

Ok no offense...but seriously with this?

Of course we still prefer our own VOIP...YOU DONT HAVE ANY!

We dont actually have a choice in the matter. Either we use third party VOIP or we just dont communicate.
Maybe if you had your own VOIP, people wouldnt have to go to their third party programs to communicate. Then maybe there would be less cheese filled mechanic exploitation like sync dropping 8-mans.

In-Game VOIP would add a HUGE amount of new-player experience. Allowing new folks to catch on rather quickly how to play instead of having to dig through months of convoluted, rage-filled, game-hate inducing forums to even get an idea of what they are supposed to be doing.

They said they are planning to add it in about 2 months with CW. What the hell more do you want. He said, yes, they are adding it, even though people prefer their own. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU RANTING ABOUT?!?

Zynk are you blind? Read the answers...

Just curious, does anyone know if the new "UI 2.0" will be scalable? As in work well with low and high resolutions. It shouldnt be too much of a problem seeing as they are using scaleform. I like having the mechlab in a window but it would be nice if we could resize and maximize it.

Edited by Mordynak, 25 March 2013 - 07:36 AM.

#80 Onyx Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, EARTH MK II

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Oy of MidWorld: Are there any plans for an optional real Team DeathMatch gamemode, without basecapping or resource collection?

A: We’re toyed around with the idea for a while. At this point we do not feel it adds enough value and will segment the user base further.

I don't agree with this...put it in the rotation at least. I hear a lot of complaints about assault matches that end with capping...give the killers their mode. The cappers have their chance in both modes as it is.

Fooooo: Have you guys made much progress on the speed cap issues at all ? (removing / raising the artificial speed limit)

A: We continue to improve the performance of MWO. The game is already extremely fast and we are concerned about upping the limits at this point.

Are you kidding me? If you mean Performance it has gotten better, but still a lot of room for improvement.

If you mean mech speed/pace of combat it is like watching turtles F^*% right now. JJ take off is way to slow, duration is way to short, recovery is way to long but i suppose that is ok FOR NOW since light mechs still don't take damage as they should. I like slow mech combat but its to slow right now IMO.

I swear there was some kinda stealth speed nerf a few months ago, that makes 70kph feel like 50kph used to or something. I feel like I'm going slower then I used to when my speedometer says it is the same speed...Maybe my imagination, but either way I still feel slow as hell at 75kph-100kph and I don't play lights that much so I'm not suffering from being used to their speed then switching back to heavier mechs that are slower.

I remember trying jenners, and watching jenner pilots and they seemed so frenetic at 130kph+...but now they seem slow...again imagination or not...the effect is real...that the mechs/pace of combat in the game feels entirely to slow

Edited by Onyx Rain, 25 March 2013 - 01:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users