#41 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostLyteros, on 25 March 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

I really liked the part where the board was talking about publishers runing a game and when brian / russ were grabbing the microphone in response, the IGP domina was lashing her whip out at them, yelling "RUSS AND BRIAN DON'T ANSWER THAT".

Probably tells a lot why things are going like they are.

If you want to enjoy it too, its on 25:35 roughly.

lol I thought you were joking, she really did tell them not to answer

#42 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 25 March 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

lol I thought you were joking, she really did tell them not to answer

Really? I mean, ****. Really?

Moderator asks question concerning "the warm embrace of a publisher," referring to large publishers like activision who act as the video game industry's sugar daddies.

"Russ and Brian, don't answer that"

*everyone laughs...Russ and Brian proceed to answer the question.*

Next day: Forums think PGI is squirming.

#43 Chemie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

comment from Brian that peacock items not selling well. I guess this is why we now see consumables? and why they will do 3rd person? because why do you paint your mech when you do not even get to see it in game?
Did they think that hula girls and dice was gonna pay for this? I would take this comment to mean that for them to make money, we will see more and more "almost" P2W showing up, and if that doesn;t work, then straigth P2W.

$60,000 for a mech;
$250,000 for a map

They originally said 1 mech and 1 map per month. I seriously doubt we will see one map per month based on that!

Edited by Chemie, 25 March 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#44 Windies

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostChemie, on 25 March 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

comment from Brian that peacock items not selling well. I guess this is why we now see consumables? and why they will do 3rd person? because why do you paint your mech when you do not even get to see it in game?
Did they think that hula girls and dice was gonna pay for this? I would take this comment to mean that for them to make money, we will see more and more "almost" P2W showing up, and if that doesn;t work, then straigth P2W.

$60,000 for a mech;
$250,000 for a map

They originally said 1 mech and 1 map per month. I seriously doubt we will see one map per month based on that!

in Mechs and maps alone they've probably spent all the founders cash given those estimates. Personally I don't buy it. If it costs them that much per mech and map, there are some serious issue's going on. They have to be pulling in 150,000 a month at least just to support those estimates, and that's not even considering running costs and staffing or server costs which probably equal about that much in a 3 month period.

#45 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

$60,000 for a mech;
$250,000 for a map

I am honestly intrigued at the cost here. I work in a moderate sized development/IT department that would probably rival PGI in size and if it costed us this much to do these items we would all be out of the job ...

#46 irony1999

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 25 March 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

I mean, could we get achievements with big c-bill bonuses or something? That would be really cool... for me at least that would add a huge amount of fun to the game.... the point shouldn't always be to win and it obviously isn't since you can earn way more money by wrecking a team than by capping a base and damage nobody.
It's easy to imagine them. Why can't we?

Oh you mean things like, TOP DAMAGE, TOP KILLER, MOST ASSISTS, LEAST DAMAGE TAKEN, FASTEST MECH, SLOWEST MECH, LONGEST SHOT, LONGEST AIRTIME, etc?

Yeah, they're coming... they're coming...

#47 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

$60,000 for a mech;
$250,000 for a map

I think it's more that most people get one paint scheme/job/cockpit item and stick with it. Or clan colors. I don't think many people are like my wonderful wife who has painted everyone of my mechs different colors.

Edited by hammerreborn, 25 March 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#48 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostZanathan, on 25 March 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

I am honestly intrigued at the cost here. I work in a moderate sized development/IT department that would probably rival PGI in size and if it costed us this much to do these items we would all be out of the job ...

Have you ever tried to develop a map for a game? It's not easy unless you don't mind it looking like crap.

I've tried to build a couple maps for CS:S before. I'm no pro, so I'm sure it was taking me longer than someone that is experienced, but it still took a couple weeks to make a map the size of a small office suite (I'm talking 15 offices small, on one floor). And all that really got me was something that had the approximate layout. The details were just not there - no items anywhere, and all the furniture was just box shaped. Most of the office didn't even have lighting or textures to it. And even once that was done, there was weeks of playtesting, trying to find all the places that a person could get stuck, or somehow glitch and fall through the floor. So when I run through a map like Tourmaline, and they say it is expensive and time consuming to make it, I believe them.

#49 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Nice to put a face to the ...nevermind

Edited by Viper69, 25 March 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#50 CiaoTime

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

Quick note in that this video only contains the first 37 minutes of a panel that ran over an hour long. Some of the questions and criticism that've been posted in this thread so far had already been answered at the real show, so here's to hoping that someone comes out and posts the full video soon. The last half was entertaining. 'Specially some of Chris Roberts' responses.

#51 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostJetfire, on 25 March 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

PGI has me on edge, but cautiously optimistic.

Indeed. I like MWO at its core, it has the fundamentals down for the most part. I may gripe on these forums about the game balance itself and lack of really immersive game modes (like many others), which definitely need work and attention, but the game has potential down the road. It may take a while though. I invested quite a lot in this game, and I'd rather that not go to waste.

Edited by General Taskeen, 25 March 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#52 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 25 March 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

Have you ever tried to develop a map for a game? It's not easy unless you don't mind it looking like crap.

I've tried to build a couple maps for CS:S before. I'm no pro, so I'm sure it was taking me longer than someone that is experienced, but it still took a couple weeks to make a map the size of a small office suite (I'm talking 15 offices small, on one floor). And all that really got me was something that had the approximate layout. The details were just not there - no items anywhere, and all the furniture was just box shaped. Most of the office didn't even have lighting or textures to it. And even once that was done, there was weeks of playtesting, trying to find all the places that a person could get stuck, or somehow glitch and fall through the floor. So when I run through a map like Tourmaline, and they say it is expensive and time consuming to make it, I believe them.

LOL HOW MUCH DID PGI PAY YOU TO SAY THAT!!!!????!! I'M SO COOL AND EDGY!!!!

Seriously, as someone with literally no background in coding or anything like that, I can only imagine how labor-intensive it would be.

#53 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostJackson Jax Teller, on 25 March 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

really?? I mean ******* really? You cant read sarcasm on the internet??
I got it, Sheldon

Go check K-town.

#54 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostZanathan, on 25 March 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

Did you also have the original code from MechWarrior 4 from Activision and then when you figured out that the old code you had wouldn't have worked on the CryEngine realize that you'd have to write all NEW code from scratch and dump everything given to them because it wouldn't work?

You see I was around at the near beginning when they told us that and new once they announced that they would have to do everything from scratch with an all new engine. I remember the first couple of weeks with the constant problems of games dropping every couple of games and if we could go at least 4 games without the game crashing that was on a GOOD DAY. Since then it's taken them a long time to correct those bugs. And then on top of that, they added new content weekly, along with the bug fixes. Problems with speed issues aka going over 140kph. Mechs causing memory leaks and crashes. Weapons not working right. Does anyone here remember flamers being OP? I do.

I can see why at first it's take so much money for them at first because of the constant roadblocks and problems they've had in the past. It hasn't been easy for them but so far, they're doing alright for the 98 pound weakling trying to take on the 800 pound gorillas in the room.

Now can they do better? Yes. But I think they know this and I'm still game to see how well they do.

Edited by Tice Daurus, 25 March 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#55 mekabuser

• Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

got about halfway, b4 vid crapped out, but will try again..
Chris Roberts... Seems to be one smart ****.. Kinda reminds me of classic bill clinton.

#56 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 25 March 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

Wait, I'm confused. You have no professional training whatsoever in game design and yet, because you struggled to make a map that automatically means it must be hard to make video games and that PGI is justified in blowing all that money on mediocre maps and taking months to do it? Wow.... next you will tell us all that the world is flat and the sun is the center of the universe.

#57 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostLonestar1771, on 25 March 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

Wow.... next you will tell us all that the world is flat and the sun is the center of the universe.

No, the Earth is the center of the universe you silly goose! :)

#58 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostJackson Jax Teller, on 25 March 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

HELL no screw Goons

Protip: There was a thread that got K-town'd that was basically decrying this exact thing, seriously, with an extended bit about how PGI was "Squirming", and various other ridiculousness.

Once again, **** /vg/ believes.

#59 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostWingbreaker, on 25 March 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Protip: There was a thread that got K-town'd that was basically decrying this exact thing, seriously, with an extended bit about how PGI was "Squirming", and various other ridiculousness.

Once again, **** /vg/ believes.

I think the mods are mostly asleep on weekends

#60 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

tl;dw.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users