Has Anything Severely Bad Ever Happened To House Davion?

45 replies to this topic

#21 Syllogy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

JJ Abrams happened....

#22 ThunderHorse

• PipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 83 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

View Postkiltymonroe, on 27 March 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Michael A. Stackpole happened.

Lol. Hey, they haven't implemented Stackpoling critical engine explosions yet. A "miniature sun" or somesuch nonsense, if I remember correctly.

The worst part about it is that Mr. Stackpole's books are still the most gripping reads, even if I must endure "blinding cerulean/crimson spears of energy/light" and tons of armor melting off mechs. Cheesy as it is, I still remember his take on mech combat ;)

#23 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

lets see

kentares was a nuts kuritan who was pissed about a davion sniper shooting his father.

really can't say that particularly affected the davies

as much the davies fault as the kuritans

davies brought that on themselves

davies brought that on themselves

View Postwhiteknight, on 27 March 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

Well lets see:

The Kentares Massacre
The Second Succession War
The Wars of Davion Succession
Operation Guerrero
The War of 3039...

#24 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

View Postdal10, on 27 March 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

actually the way the dark ages are heading, liao is shaping up to invade the davions (though they still make us the bad guys again...)

um.. :lol:Liao are the bad guys! (well and Marik with the Wobbies)

#25 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostBlane, on 27 March 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

only due to Micheal "Davion Fanboy" Stackpole

#26 Star Captain Obvious Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 500 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:45 AM

Dark Age Davion is pretty firmly their turn in the doghouse. The First Prince is a paranoid schizophrenic.

Course shortly after the davions put a nutcase on the throne the books moved towards the Balkanized free-worlds league, and the plot coherence took a serious nose-dive.

#27 Psyctooth

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 33 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostEldragon, on 28 March 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

Dark Age Davion is pretty firmly their turn in the doghouse. The First Prince is a paranoid schizophrenic.

Course shortly after the davions put a nutcase on the throne the books moved towards the Balkanized free-worlds league, and the plot coherence took a serious nose-dive.

Hold the horses a Davion fanboy is in the thread...

Yes throw rubbish and plushy Atlas dolls at me... ok now that is over with, let's move onto the topic on hand.

All of you have fair points which are relatively correct. I think with Dark Age, it is suspiciously pointed towards "oh no our favorite house is in the dirt, we better switch topics..." In all honestly it is a lot better to just change the topic rather than completely re-write history and **** off fanbois in the process to prevent the Apocalypse like Games Workshop did to well... both their games. Well if you are stupid enough to write your lore as if to say the world will end in that universe in a couple of years based on the direction and time that elapses per year in real time, you are just setting yourself up to shoot yourself in the foot now aren't you?

Back on topic; The thing is as to why the FedCom civil war fills an entire chapter in the history of the game universe comes simply down to how Battletech was released and how FASA then and later Catalyst games approached the release scheduled of miniatures and editions of the game, rather than anything else, the lore was simply tacked onto it (something most fans today wouldn't remember because their first experience with Battletech was Mechwarrior 2 despite how much they pretend they are true nerds of the franchise). A secondary reason, this time to do with lore is that the fedcom civil war was to that universe as the first world war is to our reality, yes in the short run it was a colossal waste of life and stupid. But it is significant in the fact the ripple effects of the event lead to the following 92 years of history playing out. Same can be said in Battletech, however I'd say the fedcom conflict although it did disrupt and effect the Chaos March, the Hand of Blake wouldn't of been able to rise so easily if it had not have happened those few years before hand... would it of effected them much... honestly not really sure, but it sure made it easier for them to take over.

Edited by Psyctooth, 28 March 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#28 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostPsyctooth, on 28 March 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

Yes throw rubbish and plushy Atlas dolls at me... ok now that is over with, let's move onto the topic on hand.

I want an Atlas plushy doll... :D

#29 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Yes.

They've had their fair share; read the house handbooks and house source books.

I can't name the players off hand or the wars off hand, but they've suffered mightily in the past.

Heck, I think they even got the snot kicked out of them by the capellans!

#30 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostPht, on 28 March 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

Yes.

They've had their fair share; read the house handbooks and house source books.

I can't name the players off hand or the wars off hand, but they've suffered mightily in the past.

Heck, I think they even got the snot kicked out of them by the capellans!

twice

#31 Righ

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

View PostWardenWolf, on 27 March 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

One name: Katrina Steiner (originally Katherine Steiner-Davion)

Well, one name... and all the damage / destruction / loss of life she caused (both directly and indirectly).

lmfao this was my first thought when I read the title of the thread.

#32 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Well without straying too much in too spoiler territory the DA novels started out with a very promising outlook on the leadership front only to end with a very poor outlook, would love to see where that story line is going.

Edited by Fiachdubh, 31 March 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#33 Kell Commander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 537 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

Kurita gave it to them hard in the War of 3039, granted they didn't take much territory but stopped their advance cold.

#34 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostKell Commander, on 31 March 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Kurita gave it to them hard in the War of 3039, granted they didn't take much territory but stopped their advance cold.

Kurita "Giving it to them hard" in the war of 3039 is a bit of a stretch, as ComStar meddled in that little sissy slap fight that got labeled a "war" by giving Star League tech to Kurita.

Still... it was nice to see the spoiled child faction of the universe get stopped in their tracks for a change.

Also it was totally Kai who put a stop to Katrina steam rolling her brother in the FedCom civil war by slapping that nancy boy Victor around to get him out of his "Oh woe is me, my sister had my love assassinated" funk and actually do something. Typical Davion, riding on the coat tails of others and claiming it was their work.

View PostBlane, on 27 March 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

Arguable.

"Bad guys" is a rather relative term that can vary depending on who's lens you view the words from.

Victor is a "bad guy" from Marik's point of view as he replaced the recently deceased Joshua Marik with a double in order to keep receiving aid from the Free World's League in return for "treating" Joshua's cancer on New Avalon. Side note: This lovely little incident is actually what lead to the FedCom Civil War, as it allowed Katrina to use a little know clause in the FedCom treaty to secede the Lyran half of the alliance and let the Federated Sun's half deal with the combined invasion of Marik and Liao on their own. Huh, look at that Davions the greatest enemy comes from within!

As for the Blakists: Good lord, one sect of your organization goes and does something drastic like using orbital bombardment in order to lay down the law on a bunch of whiny little children (i.e. all of the "Great" Houses) in order to get them to stop bickering among themselves and the entire organization gets labeled as "bad guys". ****, they only advanced the technology level of the entire Inner Sphere in something like 20 years more than the Clans could in 200 years of isolation.

Edited by Evinthal, 31 March 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#35 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

Well, the new 3145 book doesn't look to be shaping things up very well for our classy neighbours. ^_^

#36 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

I've never understood the venom that comes out of Liao fans. I can't tell if they're joking or serious.

#37 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostEscef, on 07 April 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

I've never understood the venom that comes out of Liao fans. I can't tell if they're joking or serious.

Mostly in character.

We were mocked around for QUITE a while by them both in-universe and IRL and as such, not liking Davions is to be expected and not only that, it is also how we should act if we want to do some RP, which is also pretty fun.

#38 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

What you mean Space-Mary-Sue-ville? All their citizens are gallant, smart, witty, funny, and overcome great obstacles to be prince!

Edited by Aym, 08 April 2013 - 07:23 AM.

#39 Abrissbirne

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostEvinthal, on 31 March 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

Also it was totally Kai who put a stop to Katrina steam rolling her brother in the FedCom civil war by slapping that nancy boy Victor around to get him out of his "Oh woe is me, my sister had my love assassinated" funk and actually do something. Typical Davion, riding on the coat tails of others and claiming it was their work.

With friendly help from Isis Marik, who forced him out of his hidey-hole and do his job as First Prince. Would you kindly not forget that.

#40 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostAdridos, on 06 April 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Well, the new 3145 book doesn't look to be shaping things up very well for our classy neighbours. :rolleyes:

Era Report 3145 is hilarious. Makes 3062-3067 look like a cake walk for Davion and Steiner.

Honestly it is about time you Capellans took the Davions behind the wood shed and beat them for a change. Though it is just too bad the Dracs already had them there and you had to join in. :D

Steiner is getting their butts kicked a lot too, but I guess it was time for them to have it happen.

What happens to the Nova Cats, I found hilarious since I hate them with a the fires of a billion suns since the Dark Age clicks game made them like the uber faction with long and stable dials, good heat dials (even most of their stuff was heavily energy based...) and seeming to be the pet faction of the designers for that game.

The Wolf Empire was an interesting development.

Jade Falcon is lead by a crazy ***** (no suprise there) though this one seems to be on another level compared to most. Hazen will you kindly stop killing anyone who you think has slighted you...especially by crashing war ships into them. :S

Now I'm dying to hear what the Fortress Republic Wall actually is, though I think that will be the OTHER great mystery for this Era. I am betting it is some crazy *** Blakist Tech they found on Terra after it's liberation.

View PostAbrissbirne, on 08 April 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

With friendly help from Isis Marik, who forced him out of his hidey-hole and do his job as First Prince. Would you kindly not forget that.

Okay that is true too, but I'd rather mr. white knight can do no wrong stayed in his hidey hole. :angry:

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users