Has Anyone Else Noticed Ppcs Pinging Off Mechs For 0 Damage?

53 replies to this topic

#21 M1N3CRAF7

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

i agree ive noticed this aswell. i have a dual erppc in the torsos phract and sometimes ill hit a target ded center and i get no hit registration. and its been happening 3 times as mush after the newest patch

Edited by M1N3CRAF7, 28 March 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#22 hashinshin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

Yeah, I just shot a powered down cataphract twice with a PPC, once when it was powered down and again when it was powering up, for 0 damage each time. Not even a hit register.

#23 Asami

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

View Posthashinshin, on 28 March 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

And I thought it was just lag or other until a mech with its leg broken moving maybe 15kph got slammed dead center with a PPC... for 0 damage.

Now I know it isn't just lag (and I long suspected that because my gauss rifle builds have no such problems) and the PPC is in fact just shooting for 0 damage very often. Not even a red cursor for hit confirmed.

I've seen this a lot too. On a side note, did you use to play a druid in WoW?

#24 Teralitha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

I have noticed some odd hit/miss in my recent games also. But... I just also recently added the SweetFX mod. It could be interfering with the game.... Or it might have something to do with having to reinstall the game lately too. I think this is the first time ive had to reinstall the game since the first time I DLed it in closed beta.

Edited by Teralitha, 28 March 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#25 hashinshin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

View PostTeralitha, on 28 March 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

I have noticed some odd hit/miss in my recent games also. But... I just also recently added the SweetFX mod. It could be interfering with the game.... Or it might have something to do with having to reinstall the game lately too. I think this is the first time ive had to reinstall the game since the first time I DLed it in closed beta.

I'm pretty sure that there are too many issues at play to pin this down on something random....

Especially considering I've not downloaded the mod nor reinstalled since beta.

#26 Hellen Wheels

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

View Posthashinshin, on 28 March 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

And I thought it was just lag or other until a mech with its leg broken moving maybe 15kph got slammed dead center with a PPC... for 0 damage.

Now I know it isn't just lag (and I long suspected that because my gauss rifle builds have no such problems) and the PPC is in fact just shooting for 0 damage very often. Not even a red cursor for hit confirmed.

I've seen that happen....when I'm behind a building and some dip is auto-shooting PPC's at whatever signature he sees through the building.

The guy just kept shooting PPC's, over and over, hitting that building. It was HILARIOUS.

#27 xenoglyph

• 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

Happens to me, but it's always happened with PPCs unfortunately.

#28 Gristle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationN. E. Kentucky

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

View Posthashinshin, on 28 March 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

I don' t think you understand.

I've been spamming PPCs on every mech I've owned since the buff. As a connoisseur of PPCs I can tell you something very real has changed, and PPCs are hitting unmoving targets dead center for 0 damage (and obviously doing 0 damage at other points too.)

It doesn't happen enough to notice it UNLESS you're playing as much as I am with PPCs and you see as many shots as I do slam in to targets that in no way could've missed and take 0 damage.

Yet the second I pop back in to my 2x gauss Jagermech-S instead of my 3x PPC Cataphract-1x all of the sudden no more issues. Both have the weapons in their arms. Both shoot at about the same projectile speed. Both are used for long range sniping.

There are two possible things that have changed.

A. I've started to use arm lock on my Cataphract so as to avoid the arm ballistics bug, but I really doubt that can be an issue.
B. PPC hit detection got bugged out by some other systems change and now it's on the fritz.

I've been seeing this with PPC's for a long time. I firmly believe PGI's armor and or damage model is seriously borked and that the devs really don't fully understand how its all working.

#29 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

I wouldn't be all that surprised if it turns out that in those cases, the ppc blasts are actually HELPING the targets.

#30 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostVividos, on 28 March 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

...except PPCs dont do 1 damage at 10m...they do 0 damage.
derp

:D
Quit licking the screen.

On topic, I've had this happen while being shot at. I've always assumed it was due to the lag effect, since I've seen it both ways and with other weapons (my client thinks it hit, serve says they missed completely, or vice versa). Been playing with PPCs quite a bit since heat reduction and haven't noticed the problem, myself, any more than I have with ballistics. I think it's an issue to be set aside and revisited post-ballistic HSR.

#31 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

View Posthashinshin, on 28 March 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that there are too many issues at play to pin this down on something random....

Especially considering I've not downloaded the mod nor reinstalled since beta.

its the netcoding then

#32 riverslq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

View Posthashinshin, on 28 March 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

I don' t think you understand.

I've been spamming PPCs on every mech I've owned since the buff. As a connoisseur of PPCs I can tell you something very real has changed, and PPCs are hitting unmoving targets dead center for 0 damage (and obviously doing 0 damage at other points too.)

It doesn't happen enough to notice it UNLESS you're playing as much as I am with PPCs and you see as many shots as I do slam in to targets that in no way could've missed and take 0 damage.

Yet the second I pop back in to my 2x gauss Jagermech-S instead of my 3x PPC Cataphract-1x all of the sudden no more issues. Both have the weapons in their arms. Both shoot at about the same projectile speed. Both are used for long range sniping.

There are two possible things that have changed.

A. I've started to use arm lock on my Cataphract so as to avoid the arm ballistics bug, but I really doubt that can be an issue.
B. PPC hit detection got bugged out by some other systems change and now it's on the fritz.

2 erppc shots followed by 2 more erppc shots to the front of a slow if not stopped raven one night on river city thermal.
no damage.
I've seen it too.

#33 Nordhammer

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Its not just PPC's I've fired off dual AC 20's dead center for no DMG quite a few times an no they were'nt moving so it was'nt lag.

#34 Smk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

I've seen it happen but only when they go out past their maximum range. It was kind of weird being rocked by ppcs and nothing happening.

#35 TOGSolid

• 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostVividos, on 28 March 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

...except PPCs dont do 1 damage at 10m...they do 0 damage.
derp

edit: and the same thing DOES happen with ballstics. AND missles. cant tell you how many point blank shots with my srms have hit dead center and do no damage, no red reticule. it all started after they fixed lasers. go figure. (the say ballistics / missles were untouched but it was the same patch that borked them)

Yup, I was definitely seeing it on an AC20 Hunchback yesterday. I hit a mech square in the center, got a red cursor, and did zero damage.

#36 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Yep annoying but I deal.

#37 Protection

• 1,754 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

Posted Image

#38 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

I've had it happen with my ERPPCs (I don't use regular PPC) as well.

#39 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

It's been happening since they changed the impact point value from 0 to 0.25. I've been running dual ERPPC and a Guass Gun in my Atlas since before they opend the Founders only floodgate for Closed Beta... I'm 100% sure this problem started when the point of impact was expanded and PPCs and ERPPCs started to impact on multiple hitboxes.

If I recall right this was done to reduce headcapping(which was pretty rife at the time) but now that many head htboxes have been tweaked it could be a good time to revisit the point of impact value 0 and see if it fixes the issue?

Edited by Sam Slade, 28 March 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#40 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Oh, ok after further investigation I figured out the cause of these no damage "failed to register damage" hits with PPCs, AC20s, and the like

Spoiler

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users