Ppc's Not Following Arm Reticle?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Tr 8r

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:39 AM

Hey I have an arm mounted er ppc on my right arm, I also have a medium lazer and while the lazer seems to track just fine the ppc will often shoot off at some crazy angle. Has anyone else experienced this? It usally only happens while taking extreme turns at high speeds, I can clearly see the reticle on the enemy mech and the lazer mounted on the same arm will be hitting the mech just fine but the ppc will miss. This is always at close range and yes it is an ER ppc.

#2 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:44 AM

Arm mounted PPCs, ER PPCs, and ballistic weapons in general like to go OMGWTFLOLNOTWHEREYOUAIMED.

This has been so since the beginning of time, and ever shall remain so, for reasons best left unrevealed.

The secrets would tear away at our minds like the contents of the Necronomicon.

#3 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

View PostSephlock, on 29 March 2013 - 01:44 AM, said:

Arm mounted PPCs, ER PPCs, and ballistic weapons in general like to go OMGWTFLOLNOTWHEREYOUAIMED.

This has been so since the beginning of time, and ever shall remain so, for reasons best left unrevealed.

The secrets would tear away at our minds like the contents of the Necronomicon.

He is right.

I've noticed with practice they do go where you aim...it is just a matter of aiming properly :o

#4 Terror Teddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:00 AM

All ballistics and PPC weapons go where you aim - you just have to aim where the bullets WANT to go - not where YOU want them to go.

Think of them as undiciplined children.

#5 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 29 March 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

He is right.

I've noticed with practice they do go where you aim...it is just a matter of aiming properly :o

This is a half-truth. Practice certainly helps however sometimes shooting near a wall will cause the shot to go wildly off to the side, and when turning/circle strafing they simply will go where you were aiming a second or two ago.

#6 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:56 AM

and they say pinpoint weapon convergence helps too much!! :o

#7 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 29 March 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

He is right.

It happens a lot when the enemy is circle strafing you, so you end up having to lead the enemy. Thing is, at the range you are circle strafing, you shouldn't have to lead at all.

Edited by Belorion, 29 March 2013 - 03:52 AM.

#8 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

This is why i sold my dragon, my arm mounter balisics were going nuts but it's a masterable thing since i see many dragon pilots kicking ***.

Edited by M0rpHeu5, 29 March 2013 - 03:59 AM.

#9 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

• You cannot hit properly when you are turning (A/D). You have to release A/D to get anywhere near a reliable shot.
  • Lag might be a factor. You'll have to wait for around 1 second sometimes just so your arm weapon is actually aiming where you are aiming. Normally I fire a laser when it's done, I fire the ballistic.
  • Nothing can be done about it right now. Either switch to a laser or move it to your torso.

#10 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

it's a combination of fire delay, flight time and convergence. Flight time and convergence will always be an issue, though hopefully they can one day make convergence work right so shots don't randomly shoot off at weird angles. The fire delay will hopefully be fixed when they introduce Host State Rewind for Ballistics. Or, if the sadistic ******** decide to leave it in, it should at least be consistent.

Basically, it's just a matter of learning to compensate, but since the fire delay (and convergence) often seems random, it's pretty much just making an educated guess.

#11 Kaldor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

Ballistic Convergence

This would fix this problem. Anytime you're locked on a target the convergence would be set at the range of that target so you can properly lead your target. Its been shot down, but is one of the things that would really bring AC's and PPCs up to snuff IMO.

#12 Incredible Slug

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 35 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:49 AM

I agree, convergence should be locked at whatever your target range is when you have en enemy mech targeted. Not on an invisible wall near your mech, or a mountain in the distance.

#13 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

Everybody needs a dream, right?

#14 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:05 AM

convergence on whatever mech you have locked would solve the problem you say?

kekeke bring on the ECM..trollololololawl

#15 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:13 AM

You all need to try the founders hunchback. The arm weapons fly way left of the arm crosshair. Try it in the training grounds. Load up two PPC or any two arm weapons and try hitting things at 800m. I reported this bug last patch and it is not yet fixed as of last night. The founder hunchback is the only hunchback I own but it may be a problem on all hunchies for all I know. I am 100% certain though the founders is way off.

So before telling someone their aim is off, we should find out which mech he/she is driving first.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:18 AM

Convergence.

Some weapons, notably PPC and Gauss seem to have more trouble than others. When you shift aim fast, particularly if one was sniping, then to deal with a close threat, bam, PPC goes all wonky, usually in the general direction of where your reticle was sitting, before your sudden aimshift.

I've found if I shift aim, then wait a heartbeat, my PPC shoots to the reticle everytime

#17 Orion ji

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

I dunno what you guys are talking about because my ppcs or gauss go where I was aiming 100% of the time. Maybe you're not leading your targets?

#18 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

It's like a fighter pilot just at slow speeds. You have to lead with ballistics depending on how fast they're moving to the side. I'm not sure if this is intended or if they'll change it so the aimer auto calculates it. Personally I'd rather it stay this way, takes more skill.

#19 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostBelorion, on 29 March 2013 - 03:52 AM, said:

It happens a lot when the enemy is circle strafing you, so you end up having to lead the enemy. Thing is, at the range you are circle strafing, you shouldn't have to lead at all.

try locking arms to torso. wierd things happen in close with convergence on ppc/ballistics but using the lock feature will allow this to be overcome.

#20 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 29 March 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

try locking arms to torso. wierd things happen in close with convergence on ppc/ballistics but using the lock feature will allow this to be overcome.

Hmm...Since I only have these issues in close combat (within 50 meters or so) does it affect my hunchback? Locking arms to torso seems useless since my main gun is on my shoulder and kinda fixed.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users