Clan OmniMechs with SLDF Tech, can it be done? (Yes, sort of)

28 replies to this topic

#21 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

View PostJonas, on 04 June 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Why would you use SLDF weapons when the Clans have better. I mean the Clans come and Kick our ***es for a while then we kick theirs in the end its a balancing act. I have no problems with the Clans and there Omni- Mechs and all there advancements.

Yes the Clan ride rough shot over the Inner Sphere with only the Best Unit actually able to either hold their ground or give back as much at they got. Remeber in 3050 the IS is working with 3025 Tech.

Now PGI is giving us Lost Tech and we will give you about 6 to 9 months to practice with it.

But, remember the Player will most likely be representing those IS force I stated earlier. You may hold your position, but, the other IS forces on your flanks will be getting over run.

Edited by Skylarr, 04 June 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#22 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

View PostCaveMan, on 02 June 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

So, one of the best suggestions for handling the Clans in MWO has been to give them Star League technology rather than Clan-grade equipment. The major complaint about doing this is that it wouldn't be possible to recreate the classic weapon loadouts of Clan 'Mechs that we've all come to expect.

But is this true?

As a hypothetical, I decided to see if the original 16 Clan Omnimechs from TRO 3050 could work in their canon configurations without hyper-advanced Clan weaponry. Now, given that the Clans have had a few hundred years to develop their technology, I opted to give them a few improvements over SLDF technology, but none that would give them more damage or significant weight savings.

Specifically, I permitted the Clans to retain their more compact versions of XL engines, Endo Steel structure and Ferro-Fibrous armor, as well as Clan-grade CASE and targeting computers (this last one was decided after realizing the Warhawk wouldn't work at all with an IS TC). I feel like these items are not game-breaking, since 1) they're restricted to the chassis itself and with the exception of the targeting computer, can't be transferred to IS 'Mechs and 2) they only permit advanced technologies to be used in combination. Several Clan 'Mechs are already under-armored, and with heavier IS weaponry, preventing them from using ferro-f would be a death sentence.

MASC and Double Heat Sinks remain IS-grade versions (Clan DHS in particular are almost as unfair as Clan weapons, being so compact)

Second, I permitted the use of Clan Intermediate weapons (as per Operation Klondike). These are "primitive" versions of weapons like the LB-2X and ER Medium Laser that didn't exist in TRO 2750 but were created by the Clans. Their dimensions and stats are identical to the Inner Sphere versions of these weapons developed during the 3050s. Thus, I was able to keep weapon configurations nearly the same, but the Clan 'Mechs don't end up being any more powerful on a ton-for-ton basis than their SLDF counterparts.

Now, the big question is, how well did it work? To answer that, I present the first six of the "sweet sixteen" 3050 OmniMechs in their downgraded configurations.

Interesting concept.

As an alternative, though, have you considered having the Clan equipment retain its physical properties (weight and volume/criticals) while having performance (damage, heat production/dissipation, range, etc) mirror the comparable SLDF/IS weapons?

The end effect would be that the Clan weapons and equipment still has the advantage of being lighter and/or more compact to allow for more potential firepower on any given 'Mech (also, no actual changes to the physical configurations would be necessary), but the performance of those same weapons and equipment would be scaled back, so as to render the weapons still superior but not as overwhelmingly and near-universally superior as has traditionally been the case.

Also, of interest is Randall Bills' statement in the interview conducted by PGI:

MWO: Is there any part of MechWarrior you’d love to just take straight out of canon?

RB: I’ve said many times over the years that if I’d been there the game mechanics of the Clan weaponry would be very different. It’s not just how powerful those weapons are, but that it seemed from the get go to violate the story aesthetics as presented.

Here were these great, in-your-face warriors and yet they had weapons that allowed a player, in game to simply walk backwards and fire at crazy distances to down your enemy. When we introduced the Clan Heavy Lasers years ago those were more along the lines of what I thought the Clans should’ve had all along…really dangerous and powerful weapons, but shortish range, where the Clanner would be in his element, able to take down 3 and 4 enemy BattleMechs in a whirling dervish of expert maneuvering and markmanship.

Evidently, even some of those who are charged with establishing and maintaining the BT/MW canon are of the opinion that at least some of the game mechanics of Clan weapons could use some changes.

Your thoughts?

#23 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Much of the reason Clan weapons are so OP is because they're so compact.

Think about it, Clan missile launchers weigh half what their IS counterparts do. Large lasers and autocannon are about a third lighter. In terms of critical slots, there are significant size reductions as well. Even if the damage and range were the same as the IS versions, Clan 'Mechs would still be about 20% more powerful than their IS counterparts on a ton-for-ton basis.

It should be noted that this was as much of an exercise in "Can this even be made to work?" as "Would this balance the game?".

Every single one of us who plays TT has at some point taken an IS 'Mech and made a IIC version of it, and watched a mediocre machine become a walking nightmare. Doing the opposite by trying to make IS versions of Clan 'Mechs that still work is sort of the ultimate 'Mech design challenge.

#24 Cik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

you guys do realize that without a ton of optional rules and refinements, and exactly the right type of terrain that clans get slaughtered without exception rite? is this common knowledge here? oh yeah, they look great and everything, and they are. except you'll be 2:1 at all times, and the IS even has more directed firepower than you do considering they'll have a gausswall double the size of yours. your premier assaults are sitting around 4k, and half of your omnis are so overcosted as to be completely worthless. look at the poor black lanner for instance, what is it, 3k even without a clan pilot? i dare you to tell me that the black lanner can take 3500+ of IS machines. nah, it'll get torn apart by half it's BV. just toss something at it with pulse lasers and it'll evaporate in seconds. even with all of the tech advantage, any fight where the clansman doesn't munchkin to high hell is going to be a close game. (and honestly, the munchkinners are exiles even in our community)

#25 Daneiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 490 posts
  • LocationSheridan

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

Lets give the clans only sticks and rocks !!!! The battlemechs is given easy modify otion with mechlab and they started to look more like omnimechs and now i read that you want to remove the clan tech. Funny i want to see what will be next , maybe even sticks and rocks are too much for them .

#26 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

View Postdaneiel varna, on 05 June 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

Lets give the clans only sticks and rocks !!!! The battlemechs is given easy modify otion with mechlab and they started to look more like omnimechs and now i read that you want to remove the clan tech. Funny i want to see what will be next , maybe even sticks and rocks are too much for them .

Dude. If you're gonna play Clan, you don't complain about sticks and rocks. You take your stick and jam the enemy's leg actuator with it, and bash the pilot's head in with the rock whilst screaming insults about his inferior genetics.

#27 Cik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

View PostCaveMan, on 05 June 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

Dude. If you're gonna play Clan, you don't complain about sticks and rocks. You take your stick and jam the enemy's leg actuator with it, and bash the pilot's head in with the rock whilst screaming insults about his inferior genetics.

clan smoke jaguar.gif

#28 Knights0fNi

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostAaron DeChavilier, on 04 June 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

Of course you don’t, you enjoy it as do all other clan players here and why would a player faction willingly give up such in-game power? Oh and for most non-clan players, fighting them won’t be ‘scary,’ fighting them will be annoying. Only a story, setting, and character-driven levels would make clans ‘scary.’ And none of those are in MW:O. Also ‘interesting’ and ‘fun’ are relative, mainly to those who aren’t an IS player on the receiving end of said tech. Problem is, we’ll never have a way to prove if clan players are in it for the tech or not, because there’s never been and never will be a viable mechwarrior game that doesn’t have clan tech, so forgive me if I don’t believe you or anyone else here who claims to be here for the lore only.</p>

Well 1. I said I don't intend to play clan, and 2. I don't claim to be here just for the lore. I just don't see why simply outnumbering the clan 2 to 1 isn't good enough? It works pretty well in TT I'm lead to believe and MWO is following the TT damage values etc. They get mechs that are quantifiable about twice as good but half as many on the field. Because of the quality and numbers difference the two sides will develop different play-styles and successful strategies which keeps things interesting.

A battle between a technologically superior force and a numerically Superior force has a different feel than a battle between identical forces, and that's interesting and valuable in my opinion.

#29 Wolfman0503

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

Do i hear a Daishi in the backgorund?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users