Third Person View Dividing Community

69 replies to this topic

#1 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

How are you going to run a game as a competitive venture when you are splitting the community with a feature only about 5 percent of the community seem to actually want? maybe if little to no people use the 3rd person view qeue they will just let it die?

the problem is if they make 3rd person DEFAULT VIEW people will get a completely wrong idea of the experience and fun of mechwarrior.

What will official tournaments or events use?

Edited by FrupertApricot, 22 March 2013 - 05:57 AM.

#2 PainGod30

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:04 AM

I agree 100% with you but you need to post it in the new "heat sink" sub forum. Bryan, the guy in charge of 3rd person view, actually reads that.

#3 Gregory Owen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

i completely agree also,

http://mwomercs.com/...12#entry2104012

this thread makes it pretty clear, Brian does not care what the community wants and still thinks 3rd person should be added even at the cost of dividing the player base.

he completely dismissed the poll, that when i saw had 900+ votes against 3rd person and under 100 for it.

#4 Tabrias07

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

Someone on twitter said they would play if 3rd person was added.

#5 Kaldor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

3rd person is fine providing it provides no advantage over 1st person view. In other words, 3rd person sees the same thing as the 1st person. Its not that freaking hard. Honestly for some builds, 3rd person is going to suck.

Stop knee jerking, and let the devs do their thing. We need to build player base. If this does it, fine. The mass outcry reminds me alot of all the complaining about having to go change a setting when they added the lock for the targeting reticule, and throttle decay. Stop the crying.

#6 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

Well, if the can double or triple the population by adding a 3rd person view to the game, splitting the community in half is not that terrible.

But if they gain only what they lose by adding 3rd person... Well, that would be suboptimal.
They probably hope for the former happening, rather than the latter. I might not be so optimistic like that, but I was never good at reading tea leaves.

#7 mike29tw

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

I prefer this game stays in first person. That being said, I can totally understand why PIG wants to implement 3rd person view. F2P games rely on a huge player base and a low entry barrier. Currently MWO has neither.

If PGI really has to make 3rd person available, I hope they tweak the camera position so that 3rd person view doesn't grant you any significant advantage over first person player. If you have to do it, do it right and do it fairly. Don't split the community.

#8 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

To be fair with all the in fighting on the forums the community (if you'd call it that) is already divided as it is

#9 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

As I understand it, 3rd person is a choice and not mandatory. Therefore, just select "First Person Only" and carry on as usual. Whether or not the majority of regular players want 3rd person should be clearly evident. Nothing to worry too much about imo.

#10 Tabrias07

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostNRP, on 22 March 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

As I understand it, 3rd person is a choice and not mandatory. Therefore, just select "First Person Only" and carry on as usual. Whether or not the majority of regular players want 3rd person should be clearly evident. Nothing to worry too much about imo.

The issue is it segments the already small playerbase even further.

#11 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostPainGod30, on 22 March 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

I agree 100% with you but you need to post it in the new "heat sink" sub forum. Bryan, the guy in charge of 3rd person view, actually reads that.

So the guy in charge of third person view is going to look at the posts of the community and decide fairly that he is not needed and fire himself?

I do not think so.

#12 Radical FX

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

Not sure why people do not read these announcements and updates that are put out. Third Person View will be a choice you can make before entering into a game so that you will only be up against others who also choose Third Person View. So as long as you select First Person Only then you will only ever go up against others in First Person View.

That being said most people who play at the moment enjoy and will always enjoy First Person View. So any new people who come to the game for the Third Person Only view will really have no effect on the game play we currently have at the moment. It may also even give it a boost as people will probably find First Person View to be much more enjoyable.

Edited by Radical FX, 22 March 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#13 Dishevel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 762 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostNRP, on 22 March 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

How is that going to work when we have CW?
Will 3rd person people be ********* of CW?
Will they have a fully separated CW with 3rd person only?
Will they separate the skirmishes and merge the CW?

None of these makes sense to me.

This will ruin the game for many of us. For many of us we are not playing the game that is. We are playing waiting for what was promised. 3rd person is going to ruin CW. No CW no me.

#14 zverofaust

• 2,093 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

Unfortunately some people are just irrational and prone to over-reacting. If the addition of a 3rd person view is enough to send you into a blind rage, and splits the community, you really have only yourselves to blame. It's not that big a friggin' deal. That you're making it out to be much, much more than it is is YOUR fault, not theirs.

#15 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

View PostDishevel, on 22 March 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

How is that going to work when we have CW?

3rd person view is much more important for the devs. They have not even considered the implications of stinker-view in CW. They say so in the 3rd view thread they started. Even saying good point or something like that to one player that brought it up.

The future development of this game is going to be one hilarious ride to watch. Not going to spend any more cash though.
That would be madness.

View Postzverofaust, on 22 March 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

It's not that big a friggin' deal.

Hey! should you not be on the internal test server instead of posting nonsense here?. Try to break the PPC's or something?

#16 Hedonism Robot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSpace Pirate

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

While I don't feel 3rd person would be that catastrophic, there are much better ways to get new players into the game.

The following features will add more players than 3rd person could hope:
  • Tutorial Mission
  • Co-op Vs AI (easy)
  • Co-op Vs AI (medium)
  • Hold out vs waves of AI (hard more designed for existing players to compete for survival scores)
I've introduced the game to around 8 people now who have said they were going to wait for bots to be added so they can learn the controls slowly / stress free and not get stomped. These players would naturally migrate to PvP once they felt comfortable with their mechs (especially if you were given more cbills for fighting players than bots).

#17 zverofaust

• 2,093 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostIlwrath, on 22 March 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

3rd person view is much more important for the devs. They have not even considered the implications of stinker-view in CW. They say so in the 3rd view thread they started. Even saying good point or something like that to one player that brought it up.

The future development of this game is going to be one hilarious ride to watch. Not going to spend any more cash though.
That would be madness.

Hey! should you not be on the internal test server instead of posting nonsense here?. Try to break the PPC's or something?

"Oh **** guys he doesn't completely agree with my hyperbolic overreaction he must totally be a government shill being paid to propagandize their hidden agenda!!~~~"

#18 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostHedonism Robot, on 22 March 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

While I don't feel 3rd person would be that catastrophic, there are much better ways to get new players into the game.

Like focus on good game play and less on dingdongs for the cockpit. Yeah that would work.

View Postzverofaust, on 22 March 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

"Oh **** guys he doesn't completely agree with my hyperbolic overreaction he must totally be a government shill being paid to propagandize their hidden agenda!!~~~"

Are you an internal tester?

#19 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

View Postzverofaust, on 22 March 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

It's not that big a friggin' deal.

That's exactly the point. It's not a big deal so don't waste so much time and effort first argumenting with your community about it and then implementing it in the way it is planned with seperated queues. Just stick to your initial plan and keep it first person. Use the resources to make a better CW.

#20 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostTabrias07, on 22 March 2013 - 06:25 AM, said:

Someone on twitter said they would play if 3rd person was added.

I give them 10 matches before they rage-quit after 10 successive rambo deaths.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users