#1 Liam Neeson

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

ISN NEWS FLASH

by Inner Sphere News in [ Inner Sphere News ] on,Mar 30, 2013 9:00 AM PDT

Sat. March 30th, 3050: Solaris Arms established on Solaris VII; the small start-up firm vows to place a new ’Mech in the arenas within a year.

Anyone else excited? Cuz I am!

#2 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

If it actually happens and they don't make everyone pay for it then yeah.

#3 MentalPatient

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

There is no actual arena right? It's just a figure of speech. But yeah, they don't seem to make any of the mechs I grew up with. Hopefully there might be some new favourites.

#4 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostMentalPatient, on 31 March 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

There is no actual arena right? It's just a figure of speech. But yeah, they don't seem to make any of the mechs I grew up with. Hopefully there might be some new favourites.

There are actual arenas and mech stables. The entire planet was pretty much purposed with the intent to host mech combat competitions and the gambling associated with such. The planet is basically a UN of all the factions which each control a sector of the capital city and host their own arena for the major competitions.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Solaris

Whats of more interest is the reference to Solaris Arms and the mechs they produce:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Solaris_Arms

Though just to give a point in case how inaccurate Sarna can be:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Copperhead
Manufactured in 3054 with reflective armor.

http://www.sarna.net...eflective_Armor
reflective armor not invented until 3058.

Apparently the Copperhead can travel back in time or they didn't post the original variant that lacked it. Even though it says 3054 listed with the armor.

You see this again with the Thunderbolt 15:

http://www.sarna.net.../Thunderbolt_15

Made in the early 3050s but not available until 3072?

Edited by SixStringSamurai, 01 April 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#5 MentalPatient

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

Thanks for the info, I have recently discovered sarna.net. That thunderbolt actually looks pretty cool, most of the others I saw like the copperhead aren't really my style. I like more traditional looking ones. But hey, I'm sure there will be some fans of whatever they decide to produce.

#6 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

View PostSixStringSamurai, on 31 March 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

There are actual arenas and mech stables. The entire planet was pretty much purposed with the intent to host mech combat competitions and the gambling associated with such. The planet is basically a UN of all the factions which each control a sector of the capital city and host their own arena for the major competitions.

Whats of more interest is the reference to Solaris Arms and the mechs they produce:

Apparently the Copperhead can travel back in time or they didn't post the original variant that lacked it. Even though it says 3054 listed with the armor.

Solaris is where they test experimental tech, much less risk than actual battlefields. It's also why you see so much flashy/ expensive/ rare weaponry and equipment.

CPR-HD-002 is the 3054 model, the Reflective armor CPR-HD-003 came later.

Edited by Stingz, 01 April 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#7 Roach

• PipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 22 posts
  • Locationlurking in the shadows

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

Any news on this? Would awesome to fight in the Arena again! :D

#8 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

View PostRoach, on 09 January 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

Any news on this? Would awesome to fight in the Arena again! :D

A solaris mode with 1v1's or 12 mech Free for all for Cbill prizes and maybe spectator gambling would be incredible.

#9 BAD BOB

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

It's my quick thought that the solaris option would bring in a continuous flow of increased MC spending, fans, and wonderful advertising for MWO in total. To elaborate, unofficial matches should be available all the time for mechwarriors to practice, have fun, and earn c-bills. However, what would be an ultimate thriller is to have an official solaris season, held best in the off-season of actual national sports. Say players to be allowed entering these would need to have won several unofficial matches and then actually pay a MC fee to enter. In gritty detail, have players opt in for scheduled events when they are applicable and say top 16 with most previous wins or collective score that arrive are selected to compete. Those that arrive but are not selected to play should get to observe as MVP fans in control of their own areal cameras. The cameras can be in several layouts: visible dev cameras to make the official recording, and invisible fan perspectives. Of course there should also be the standard spectator mode to see as the combatant sees as regular and in Nascar. Over all, be there top 3 prizes and goal to qualify for grand finale. For the MC earnings, as the final arranged video would be free for advertising, give fans the MC entry price allowing them to each see the match live from their own original perspective. Don't forget Duncan Fisher. Someone also mentioned gambling? Plus special cockpit items purchasable to say a player observed or fought in an official match. Of course all of this can be developed as pace allows, but there is my general thought.
On another note, I have been shooting at incoming lrms since the beginning and would really like to see some of them blow up by the time solaris arrives.
Also the console beneath the radar could be purchased with c-bills in the upgrade section to be a rear-view-camera to look down at with free look.
A fan since MW2 and Heavy Gear, this game is doing quite well.

Edited by BAD BOB, 21 September 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#10 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:09 PM

View PostBAD BOB, on 21 September 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

It's my quick thought that the solaris option would bring in a continuous flow of increased MC spending, fans, and wonderful advertising for MWO in total. To elaborate, unofficial matches should be available all the time for mechwarriors to practice, have fun, and earn c-bills. However, what would be an ultimate thriller is to have an official solaris season, held best in the off-season of actual national sports. Say players to be allowed entering these would need to have won several unofficial matches and then actually pay a MC fee to enter. In gritty detail, have players opt in for scheduled events when they are applicable and say top 16 with most previous wins or collective score that arrive are selected to compete. Those that arrive but are not selected to play should get to observe as MVP fans in control of their own areal cameras. The cameras can be in several layouts: visible dev cameras to make the official recording, and invisible fan perspectives. Of course there should also be the standard spectator mode to see as the combatant sees as regular and in Nascar. Over all, be there top 3 prizes and goal to qualify for grand finale. For the MC earnings, as the final arranged video would be free for advertising, give fans the MC entry price allowing them to each see the match live from their own original perspective. Don't forget Duncan Fisher. Someone also mentioned gambling? Plus special cockpit items purchasable to say a player observed or fought in an official match. Of course all of this can be developed as pace allows, but there is my general thought.
On another note, I have been shooting at incoming lrms since the beginning and would really like to see some of them blow up by the time solaris arrives.
Also the console beneath the radar could be purchased with c-bills in the upgrade section to be a rear-view-camera to look down at with free look.
A fan since MW2 and Heavy Gear, this game is doing quite well.

A Solaris mode with seasons and tournaments would be awesome and a good source of revenue for the game.

My only concern is that in a competitive, 1v1 environment certain "top tier" mechs and builds will show up that aren't "top tier" in the team environment. This will lead to bitching and moaning about "balance" and "seeing the same optimized builds over and over" and if you start making changes for the sake of 1v1 then those will not translate well to CW or 12v12.

#11 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 24 September 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

A Solaris mode with seasons and tournaments would be awesome and a good source of revenue for the game.

My only concern is that in a competitive, 1v1 environment certain "top tier" mechs and builds will show up that aren't "top tier" in the team environment. This will lead to bitching and moaning about "balance" and "seeing the same optimized builds over and over" and if you start making changes for the sake of 1v1 then those will not translate well to CW or 12v12.

I actually build my 1v1 mechs entirely different from my meta platforms.

Skip to about 4:10 to see what I mean. It's through my opponents eyes and sadly the sound glitched out.

#12 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

It must be the juggernaut, with 16 machine guns, 4 SPLs, 3 MPLs, and 3 LPLs.

#13 Time Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

Why is this not a thing? I've been talking about this the last couple days *didn't even know there was a thread about it*

#14 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:52 AM

When this goes in I can see myself spending a lot of time in the arena.

#15 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:43 AM

View PostSixStringSamurai, on 31 March 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

A lot of highly experimental stuff got its start on Solaris, so the Reflective Armor thing might not be a mistake. In the adventure Unbound, there was a mech with a direct neural interface that allowed incredibly fast reaction times (also drove the user insane). So it's not unheard of that Solaris would be a testing ground for weird stuff.

All that said? Having Solaris, and the associated maps (which were really cool and diverse) as arenas, would be a blast. Hope MWO does it.

#16 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:01 AM

That would be fantastic to see. With a full spectator mode, it could make for some epic viewing. In a perfect world they could even hire Duncan Fisher to do the commentary.

Having actual MC prizes would be great, but even cbill prizes would be fun. Spectator gambling (even for just cbills) would be tricky. Even with just cbills (you can buy cbills with MC, so someone could be wagering real money) they would have to do some legal wrangling. My guess is that PGI will choose to steer clear of that whole mess.

#17 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostSixStringSamurai, on 24 September 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

I actually build my 1v1 mechs entirely different from my meta platforms.

Skip to about 4:10 to see what I mean. It's through my opponents eyes and sadly the sound glitched out.

1v1 'mechs SHOULD be different and that is the point of my post. Certain builds would eventually emerge that dominate--leading to cries for nerfs. Said nerfs would then have consequences on the team game, rendering builds that were not overpowered or were simply complementary into uselessness.

People who ***** and complain instead of improvising, adapting, and overcoming (my Heartbreak Ridge quote of the day) will always bring down online games with an active community. Sadly it is the way that gaming is these days.

#18 BAD BOB

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:45 PM

So to keep all the top tier mechs from becoming an identical standard, in arenas and in arenas only, why not prevent the standard spectator mode from inside the cockpit and leave weapon loadouts a mystery of speculation? That would make good commentary. Of course each weapon has its own signatures to the pros, but the middle class given a rotating drone view as in MW4 Mercenaries might have to think harder on it and accidentally even be a bit original.

Edited by BAD BOB, 25 September 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#19 BAD BOB

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:49 AM

It's been a while since I've posted. I'll keep this short.

Solaris would initiate a major profit margin.
Practice quick matches free and earn varying C-bill rewards for placement.
-Make the yearly season a reality with MC entry fee.
Set times for daily matches of each weight category.
Free to spectate from floating maneuverable camera 1st & 3rd perspective.
-Discount starting entry fee for quick auctions so present spectators can fill any no-show competitor slots.
-Make you tube sessions showing the best of the official matches with commentary, as well as advertising with emphasis the best in depth qualities of the game/techniques. Season a year on the game channel I heard of once?

Make LRMs able to be shot down, to some degree, with lasers of high enough power. (anything in this manner would be thrilling)

Consider joint shots of enough power to lock components in place before destroying them?
A stalker shot in the waist? Posted Image Better just slightly slow its twist with a grinding sound...
Arms get fused to torso?
Make them slim, hard to hit spots.

FOR FACTION WARFARE:
If we could initiate or join the wait for a match, while still being able to tinker in the mechlab/all other tabs, ect... more players would invest their time into the faction combat option.
When match gets full and initiates the countdown, player gets pop up with same count down to save/discard whatever they were working on and return to the lobby clicking READY in the pop up.

Waiting in a lobby not full without any option to do anything else has always been participatory downfall, so I believe.

Cheers and thanks for boulders rolling down a hill,
BAD BOB

"Remember, Be Here Now"
-Ram Dass

#20 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:53 AM

Still pining to run a SA-JG again.

2 user(s) are reading this topic