70 replies to this topic

#21 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

1st, M18x is a laptop, just to clear that up :)
2. Can of compressed air, clear out the heatsinks (many laptops have panels at fans on bottom to help with that).
3. Running on AC, not battery (should go without saying but........it happens).
4. Set Nvidia settings to run at best performance. May need to setup profile for MWO.
5. Do this one last, disabling Turbo boost. Set to 98% or 97% and not the suggested 99% as per this article. Do this one last.

Disabling Intel Turbo Boost - Tautvidas Sipavičius

Can of compressed air. clear out the heat sinks (do this on at least a monthly basis). Consider taking apart every few months if dust clean up access not optimal.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 June 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#22 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

I just returned to the game to see if anything had been fixed, and my 580 GTX was hitting 97C in match... I was like WTH, So I turn on Vsync cuz it had gotten turned off. 94C in match. That is WAY TO HIGH. I never had those temperatures before in this game. I can play any other game and my temps do not get this high and it is not my case either. I have 3 200mm fans (2 top 1 side) 3 120mm fans (side/back) and a 140mm fan in the front of my NZXT Phantom case.

Even at High settings it hits 91-92C in match. I have to run it at medium in order to not cook my video card.

As for the rest: I7-2600K@4.2ghz, 16 gigs DDR3 ram, etc, etc. It's not top of the line system but it is no slouch by any means. Something that's happened recently... has really screwed me over.

And yeah I clean the dust out of it to.

Edited by Christopher Dayson, 19 June 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#23 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

@Christopher Dayson
Sounds to me that u got an issue with u 580. Try changing the TIM its likely its gone of.
Also check ur GPU fan profile see if u can maybe up the fan speeds(EVGA precisionX can help with that). Case fans will have little effect if the GPU fans are not ramping up when needed.
Remember software wont be the root cause of overheating, it can just show up a existing issue.

Edited by ArmageddonKnight, 19 June 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#24 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

I have my fan speeds tuned in Afterburner they go to max once it hits 80c (And that is noisy as hell on a 580 GTX, I know when it hits that temp). I can run /every other game/ just fine without heat issues. Just not MWO. Software can indeed cause overheating especially in beta's, I've seen it happen before to other people who had their video cards cooked by a bad beta load and otherwise like with StarCraft II (Which my computer had no issues running either). I play FFXIV Beta with everything maxxed and the temperatures don't get this hot. Nothing has changed inside the system since I put it together, no added hardware, just clean it out every month. If it was overheating in other games, then sure, I could see it maybe being my hardware but it's not.

EDIT: TOR, TSW, WoW, FFXIV, EQ2, all of these on max settings do not kill my gpu like MWO does. MWO didn't kill my GPU in the past like it does now.

Edited by Christopher Dayson, 19 June 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#25 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

It sounds about right. I started with an Sapphire HD 6570 Ultimate (Passive) and it would hit 90 C but still be playable on Medium settings. I realised that this was too much for the GPU so used the Overclock program to detune the card; by doing this I managed to get the temperature down to 80 C most of the time, however performance suffered. the next stage was to cut a hole in the side of the matx tower directly in line with the heat pipes and add a 120mm case fan; this provided the most dramatic improvement dropping the temperature down to 58 C; it gave me the option of taking the GPU clock speed back up and giving me a better frame rate.

My CPU is a Core I5 2400 and I have 4GB DDR3 RAM. Its all fitted to a genuine Intel H61 board.

#26 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

Yea my temperature is now almost always 84-85 Celius while i am in mechlab

I minimize Mech-Lab and my temperature drops from 85-78(or below) in 1 minute and a half

My rig used to run Dawn of war 2 retribution/crysis/metro 2033(okay i got 30-ish frames on max) on max without problems

what im saying is that my rig is more than capable of running Mechwarrior online at all low settings (i tried medium settings and got worse performance)

It seems its age and the amount of gaming i have put in most likely hurt it ;)
I also need to clean the dust out BUT MECHLAB is giving me abnormal temperatures

One time Mechwarrior online Raised my CPU (or was it GPU) Temperature to 112 Celius
no other game has come close to overheating it like that except Mechwarrior online

Spoiler

Edited by kesuga7, 11 July 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#27 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

What is the FPS (F9) in mechlab and while in combat?

And do you play in Full screen or windowed mode (combat)?

Using whatever program to monitor temps, does it also show you both the CPU usage (individual cores?) and the GPU usage?

#28 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

This is fairly normal (lol) for MWO. And generally speaking can be resolved with fan profiles.

For example my GTX Titan sat at mechlab will gain 1 Degree C every 10 seconds with auto fan profile turned off and the fan at it's lowest setting (30%) up untill around 65d when it gained heat slower, but still continued to climb.
It began at 35d and over time heated up to 72d before i got bored of testing.

During this time it was using 66% of it's power target, the GPU clock was consistent at 650/670mhz and the Vram at 3000-3060mhz , just for mechlab at 60FPS.

Turn my fan profile back on, and within seconds the temperature is reduced and held stable in the low 40's (fan speed by this point had reduced itself down to just under 50%).

There is just something about an active mechlab window that is aggressive on GPU's without a suitable fan profile.

#29 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Try it without the side of the case on, go into the utility and change the settings so that the fan speeds up sooner and reaches full speed before 90c, then report back.

Also just to verify, you only have the one card right?

BTW I have a ASUS HD7870 in my older LGA775 X48 ASUS Rampage Extreme, so older board with newer GPU not a problem.

#30 Chiyeko Kuramochi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationSecond star to the right.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Basics for GPU cooling:

download MSI afterburner.
Create a custom fan profile do nothing until 20c, climb to about 50-60% fan speed at 50C and max (100%) at 69C (Like to keep mine below 70, but high works to, but lower always better.)

Secondly buy one of those cans with liquid gasses (called air for some weird reason) turn off your PC, take out the plug and than your GPU and blast it clean dust likes to get in those heatsinks. Once done put it back in, but wait for about 5min to make sure it is all save and the gasses are gone (open the window to, stuff goes boom). Repeat this every 2-3 months ;)

And now good luck you will be cooler, but by the sound of it MWO is just bad bad bad when it comes to optimization :/

O and check airflow, I recently flipped the top back fan on my case around to push air into the case, worked really well as I was actually drawing a vacuum, now my GPU down below has more air and my H100 cools quite a bit better to :(

#31 rgreat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 851 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

Arctic Cooling Accelero Hybrid
http://mdata.yandex....74831293041.jpg
http://mdata.yandex....35227830467.jpg

#32 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

@Chiyeko ASUS GPU Tweak, not MSI Afterburner.

#33 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 11 July 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

@Chiyeko ASUS GPU Tweak, not MSI Afterburner.

You mean sapphire trixx

I just got a single fanned 7950... the card eats ~225W... I did a bios mod for undervolting, (not necessary, sapphire trixx can do it too) and got two premium 12cm fans, and my HDD is the loudest part while I play.

#34 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 11 July 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

What is the FPS (F9) in mechlab and while in combat?

And do you play in Full screen or windowed mode (combat)?

Using whatever program to monitor temps, does it also show you both the CPU usage (individual cores?) and the GPU usage?

was going to respond but i see my gpu usage or frames per second isn't the core problem
I was going to suggest it was fan issues because it was at 30% in mechlab but Mckenna cleared that up

So i gotta figure out where to turn on my auto fan profile from amd catalyst

Im thinking about drilling holes in my case because this is the case i got right now

do you guys think this would be a good idea coupled with me cleaning out the dust with a fan blowing at all times into it (more efficiently )

Airflow sucks *** Posted Image

Spoiler

**** man i bought this for 600$ back in 2010

now its 179$ on some website i never heard about :P :angry:

http://toolsapplianc...750g_p1262.html

but tanks you for the responses guys!

Edited by kesuga7, 11 July 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#35 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

View Postkesuga7, on 11 July 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

So i gotta figure out where to turn on my auto fan profile from amd catalyst

Download MSI Afterburner, you can set up a custom fan profile in this.

#36 Desouz

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

I also had problems with high temperature in the mechlab
the solution is to add 'sys_MaxFPS = 60' in the config.cfg file
located in the game folder.

#37 Benden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

View Postkesuga7, on 11 July 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

Yea my temperature is now almost always 84-85 Celius while i am in mechlab

I minimize Mech-Lab and my temperature drops from 85-78(or below) in 1 minute and a half

My rig used to run Dawn of war 2 retribution/crysis/metro 2033(okay i got 30-ish frames on max) on max without problems

what im saying is that my rig is more than capable of running Mechwarrior online at all low settings (i tried medium settings and got worse performance)

It seems its age and the amount of gaming i have put in most likely hurt it :D
I also need to clean the dust out BUT MECHLAB is giving me abnormal temperatures

One time Mechwarrior online Raised my CPU (or was it GPU) Temperature to 112 Celius
no other game has come close to overheating it like that except Mechwarrior online

Spoiler

I've the same problem. My rig is low end but MWO is the only game running my video card that hot (Metro Lastlight ran fine and mostly cool : 75° C max) With MWO, I can reach 82°C or more.
The most funny thing is that If I stay in mechlab, on the "Home" page with no 3D scene rendered, and MINIMIZED : I could hear my fans running like hell and temp reaching 82° as if it was on full load ! (happens after a match, if I minimize the mechlab and browse the web for instance).
Must be some nasty bug or lack of optimisation.

#38 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

Piece of advice.

While I do not advocate playing any game on a Laptop, I understand that one uses what one has.

However, if you are playing on a laptop, you'd better be using a cooling pad.

With the stock cooler, my GTX 760 tops out at 62 deg C playing MW:O on the highest setting (vsync on but no AA) - I'm putting an Arctic Cooling Accelero III on the card this week.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 29 July 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#39 Benden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostDesouz, on 21 July 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

I also had problems with high temperature in the mechlab
the solution is to add 'sys_MaxFPS = 60' in the config.cfg file
located in the game folder.

I did this tweak : it lowered my GPU overheating to "normal" temperatures while in mechlab. Thanks !
edit : i've set the maxfps to 50. Also I think doing this or activating the synch to vertical refresh is about the same. My vert. refresh is set to 75Hz so this tweak is much better -_-
I'm just wondering why the hell devs did not anything about this yet.

Edited by Benden, 30 July 2013 - 07:31 AM.

#40 CG Chicken Kn

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines, Ontario

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Wow at some of the temps people are reporting from their gpu's.
Makes me very glad I chose the card I did.
http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16814125418

Gigabyte 7870 OC Windforce. 3 fans on it. Heatsink fins 12.5 inches long.
Currently OC'd above even the factory OC to 1150 core, 1400 memory.
And it won't break 50 C unless I run Furmark. 56 C max on 15 minute Furmark run.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users