Severe Temperature Issues.

70 replies to this topic

#41 Leafia Barrett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

On minimum settings and a custom user.cfg to lower the quality further, MWO makes my laptop run at anywhere from 85-95°C... with an external cooling fan. It quickly gets uncomfortable and sometimes pretty painful, as my laptop's CPU/GPU is no more than an inch below my keyboard. And I still only manage 6-12 FPS because Intel's integrated graphics cards are god-awful.

Posted Image

Edited by Leafia Barrett, 04 August 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#42 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

Maybe a new cooler is needed

Zalman makes some pretty good ones

NC2000

NC3500

#43 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostDesouz, on 21 July 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

I also had problems with high temperature in the mechlab
the solution is to add 'sys_MaxFPS = 60' in the config.cfg file
located in the game folder.

thank you for this and spread this tip around if you can

possibly to a developer because it would be a such a easy fix for a patch

but i just copy paste that into my config folder in any place or just remove the one thats there?

#44 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about your temps there. AFAIK, the danger-zone for GPUs is considered to be 85°+. As long as you're getting around 35° at idle and stay under 85° under heavy/full load, you should be good. And from what I understand, full load is usually not even achieved in games but only in load-stress tests.

What you can do (in case you haven't done it yet) is to use some kind of monitoring/tweaking tool that lets you set the fan speed control to "software controlled". Seems to be reacting more aggressively to temperature rises - at least in my system/graphics card.

I'm using EVGA Precision, which is also a pretty nifty OCing and monitoring tool.

I also have a pretty good airflow going in my case (front lower in, sidepanel in, rear panel out), so I'm fairly certain that my numbers are fairly normal/nothing to worry about.

Did a few tests with GFX-fans software control enabled, cause I was wondering why I never heard my GFX-card's fans kicking in.. :)

System at idle:
Posted Image

MVONL at idle (in the Mechlab after 5 mins or so). Graph in the middle is interactive and lets you set how aggressively the cooler will react to temperature rises.

Posted Image

Right after exiting an online match on Terra Therma:
Posted Image

Note the "71" in the lower right monitoring window. That's the maximum attained during the timeframe shown by the window.

I also think it's interesting to note that even sitting in the lobby seems to tax the CPU quite a bit. As you'll see in my second pic, I got CPU temps of 69 on core 0. Yesterday I ran a stress-load test of my PC (EVEREST) which only managed to achieve 74° C on core 0 after 20 mins of non-stop testing. I thought it could be because Everest only stresses the CPU, but I don't think that core temperaturs should be getting influenced by higher overall temperatures within the case due to heat generated by a hard working GPU. *shrug*

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 10 August 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#45 DOTSGEMINI

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

get an h60 cooler from corsair. 60$ to keep your CPU really cold and it is quiet as can be

#46 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

get an h60 cooler from corsair. 60$ to keep your CPU really cold and it is quiet as can be

Make sure to get the revised version of it though ("2.0" IIRC). The store I'm looking to buy in seems still to be selling the old version. It's only €5 more expensive than the 55, but from what I've read, it's not better than the 55 in V1-form.

Plus there are alternatives:

3 entry level liquid systems comparison

I *think* I'm gonna go with the 55.

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 08 August 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#47 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

A really easy band-aid for this that PGI can do until it figures out a way (if even needed) to reduce usage in the lab, is to add an option to turn off 3D rendering in the mechlab and just use images. That said, I don't pass 40c on my EVGA 670 until after the shooting starts.

Just my 2c.

#48 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

]I also had problems with high temperature in the mechlab

Could someone please clarify on how to add this?

Because i can't find that config file anywhere - where is it exactly ;)

i only see "omnicron" but i don't think thats it

Edited by kesuga7, 09 August 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#49 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:08 AM

The file's not there by default (AFAIK).

Just go to your MWONL install folder (the one that has the "Omicron"-file in there) and create a new, empty txt file. Paste the max FPS command in there.

Plus you might want to also use the "cl_fov = 80" command (without the "") or whatever value you prefer. Hit Enter to create a new line and paste that command in there. FOV of 70 is default IIRC - 80 works so much better for me.

Then save the whole thing as "user.cfg" (again: without the ""). Make sure it's not saved as "user.cfg.txt" - you might have to disable the "hide extensions for known filetypes"-crap in Windows.

And you're done.

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 10 August 2013 - 05:21 AM.

#50 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

Many danke man!

Edit: 300th post!

Edited by kesuga7, 10 August 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#51 unreal icarus

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

Hi,

i also have critical heat issues with my laptop and this game. I have quit good hardware with an i7 2670qm processor and a radeon 6850m graphics card, also 8gb ram and displaying everything at medium to high quality is no problem at all. BUT the heat produces is a problem. I couldnt play one single match till my laptop automatically shut down to prevent heat damage. Now i use a Coolermaster cooling pad with 3 extra fans at max speed and a fan tweak tool. This enables me to play ONE match. Afterwards i have to wait till my cores and the gpu reach 63°C. I always hit way more than 90°C at the end of every match! This really sucks! I don't have problems with other games too and i can also cook my hardware just with staying in the mech bay. This should really be addressed by the developers.

#52 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

View Postunreal icarus, on 10 August 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

Hi,

i also have critical heat issues with my laptop and this game. I have quit good hardware with an i7 2670qm processor and a radeon 6850m graphics card, also 8gb ram and displaying everything at medium to high quality is no problem at all. BUT the heat produces is a problem. I couldnt play one single match till my laptop automatically shut down to prevent heat damage. Now i use a Coolermaster cooling pad with 3 extra fans at max speed and a fan tweak tool. This enables me to play ONE match. Afterwards i have to wait till my cores and the gpu reach 63°C. I always hit way more than 90°C at the end of every match! This really sucks! I don't have problems with other games too and i can also cook my hardware just with staying in the mech bay. This should really be addressed by the developers.

Sorry but I have to ask, did you read any of these posts?

0. Laptop - check
1. Setting game to Full Windowed mode instead of Full Screen mode
2. Cooling pad - check
3. heat sinks - blown out to clear dust build up? - unknown
4. Do you hear the fans kicking in? - Unknown
5. Using any programs to monitor and control fans - unknown
6. Prevent Turbo Boost from kicking it, setting Processor power management to around 98% instead of the listed 99%
Disabling Intel Turbo Boost - Tautvidas Sipavičius

#53 unreal icarus

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

0. Laptop - check
1. Setting game to Full Windowed mode instead of Full Screen mode - Check
2. Cooling pad - check
3. heat sinks - clean, check
4. Do you hear the fans kicking in? - Check
5. Using any programs to monitor and control fans - SpeedFan Check
6. Prevent Turbo Boost from kicking it, setting around 98%, Check

--> Still 88-90°C after every match

#54 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:27 AM

View PostEdward Steiner, on 05 April 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

Otherwise, your case probably has poor airflow, you need a fan in the front, pulling air in and one in the back pulling aire out; a fan on top of the case, pulling air out is good too.

Actually, what you want is "positive" airflow, meaning you have more fans sucking *into* the case than ones blowing out.

A lot of the newer cases come set up like that. I just got my new Enermax Ostrog GT and it has 2x140 fans sucking in at the front and just a single 120mm fan at the rear blowing out.

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 13 August 2013 - 01:28 AM.

#55 FluffyBunbunKittens

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

View PostDesouz, on 21 July 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

I also had problems with high temperature in the mechlab

Holy crap, this was it.

Mechlab by itself made my system go crazy, while no other game does it.

This helped, thanks. Now I can have a quiet machine once again.

#56 Ridersofdoom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

since 12 vs 12 i have the same problem, CPUs hot, ill try de user.cfg cure.

Edited by Ridersofdoom, 13 August 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#57 LunaSol

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

Okay so let me get this straight since the first two pages are mostly idiots repeating information and derailing the thread:
  • This issue is that the MechLab has no limits on system resources (or something similar) and requests more than it needs from the hardware
  • Side effects are that the GPUs are overheating on machines without good enough cooling to deal with said issue
  • It can be fixed by the setting "sys_MaxFPS = 60"
Correct? Close?

#58 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

It can be fixed by the setting "sys_MaxFPS = 60"

I can only speak for my system, but even with the max FPS thing in place, I'm still getting significantly higher temps than at system idle.

And it's not just the MechLab IMO.

Got MWONL open in the background right now without even being logged in (it's sitting at the login-screen) and my GPU is at 61° C, which is more than 20° C more than what I get at system idle. Core0 is also hotter than at idle at 70°C and the MoBo-controlled CPU-fan keeps kicking into high-ish gear. All that for displaying a splash-screen? I think not. There must be something fishy going in the software.

Try the "fix" (it certainly won't do any harm), do some temp monitoring and see what happens on your rig.

And just in case and because it's good practice, you also might want to check your case's airflow and don't forget to clean out the dust every few weeks. I'm a lazy ba$tard and just dusted out my case for the first time in months. Temps did go down a bit after that in all conditions. I also set my Asus MoBo's fan controller ("Q-Fan") from "normal" to "turbo".. which makes the rig noticably louder but also cooler.

S.

#59 TostitoBandito

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

A game causing your GPU to overheat is never the game's fault. It is your fault for not having enough cooling so your GPU can run at sustained 100% load at reasonable temperatures. You will have the same issue with benchmark tools or anything else that pegs your GPU. It is not MWO.

Things you can do to fix this:

- If you have a desktop, invest in better ventilation solutions for your case, or consider water cooling.

- If you have a laptop (as I do), first step is to open up your chassis and blow all the dust out. Second step is to repaste your GPU die/heatsink joint with quality thermal compound if you haven't already (this alone can be over a 10C difference in 100% load temps). Third step is to use an elevated stand so there is airflow under the laptop for the air intakes.

Run a stress test tool like FurMark to see how your card performs under full load. Guaranteed that whatever temps you see in FurMark will be as high or higher than any game can manage, so it's the best worst-case test.

All this applies to CPU's just the same. You can use Prime95 to stress test them. It will max out all your cores.

Edited by TostitoBandito, 13 August 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#60 unreal icarus

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

Did you read my post tostitoBandito?
Of course its the fault of MWO. If the programming isn't effective and bakes the users hardware it is the developers fault. Since many users have issues including me (and i really did everything possible) ou can't blame users. Again, i don't have any heat issues with other graphic intense games...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users