Raven 2X And 4X Need A Buff

102 replies to this topic

Poll: Do the Raven 2x and 4x need a small buff? (235 member(s) have cast votes)

Do the Raven 2x and 4x need a small buff?

1. Yes (104 votes [44.26%])

Percentage of vote: 44.26%

2. No (67 votes [28.51%])

Percentage of vote: 28.51%

3. I hate Ravens (48 votes [20.43%])

Percentage of vote: 20.43%

4. This topic is dead to me (16 votes [6.81%])

Percentage of vote: 6.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Raven Hero would be way too awesome to need ECM.....how about a 4x with 8 ballistic hard points, 4 in each arm, and 4 energy hard points, 2 in each torso. To go along with a nice MG buff too of course :(

#42 Xendojo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationThe Frequencies

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

I disagree about the 4X. I am very effective in my RVN-4X and really enjoy being underestimated just because of my variant selection.

But the 2X....well the 4X can do almost everything the 2X can do, but with JJ.

So i guess give the 2X JJ.

#43 XSerjo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostWolf87535, on 03 April 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

I still think an additional missile hardpoint where the SRM6 is would go a long way without making the 2x or 4x overpowered. 2 SRM6 would fire in 2 volleys, so its not exactly a gargantuan buff.

With current mechanics it would fire in one giant volley: SRM12. We already have SRM8 Jenner, SRM18 Centurion, SRM36 Cat... Additional hardpoint on combat light should be awesome, but not with current missile-tube system.

#44 PhaedrusBE

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

Spider jockey here. I hate Ravens too. Hate the even more if you think they need a buff before the 5V or the 5K

#45 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostXSerjo, on 03 April 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

With current mechanics it would fire in one giant volley: SRM12. We already have SRM8 Jenner, SRM18 Centurion, SRM36 Cat... Additional hardpoint on combat light should be awesome, but not with current missile-tube system.

You are probably right, but that will be fixed (at some point) I am sure.

#46 FrostCollar

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostWolf87535, on 03 April 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Raven Hero would be way too awesome to need ECM.....how about a 4x with 8 ballistic hard points, 4 in each arm, and 4 energy hard points, 2 in each torso. To go along with a nice MG buff too of course :(

"RVN-SR - This variant is a field upgrade made by Capellan March forces who captured many Ravens during Operation Sovereign Justice. This modification of the -3L replaces the lasers and TAG with four Machine Guns linked to a Machine Gun Array to protect it from the infantry assaults that resulted in the capture of the 'Mechs to begin with. BV (1.0) = ??, BV (2.0) = 601[11]"
ALL MACHINE GUNS (and a missile hardpoint I suppose).

View PostGarth Erlam, on 03 April 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Wolf87535, I think you will be happy in a patch or two. :(

View PostDeathlike, on 03 April 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

This either means there's a Raven Hero next, or an ECM nerf.

Sounds like both, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Nah, it sounds like Raven variant quirks to me. Maybe the other two things as well, but probably quirks.

Edited by FrostCollar, 03 April 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#47 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 03 April 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Wolf87535, I think you will be happy in a patch or two. :(

Soo... You're finally buffing the MG's damage?

#48 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostFrostCollar, on 03 April 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

Nah, it sounds like Raven variant quirks to me. Maybe the other two things as well, but probably quirks.

Probably... at best it would torso twist slower than a Jenner to compensate.

#49 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostStoicblitzer, on 03 April 2013 - 06:37 AM, said:

the 3L needs a nerf not the other way around.

wrong...while the raven 3L is ridiculously easy to play, i agree there, the other 2 ravens are ridiculously slow... they are the slowest lights (113 w/o tweak?) and thus more or less cannon fodder... i wouldn´t mind a SLIGHTLY increased engine rating for the non-ecm ravens... and a speednerf for the ecm lights

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 03 April 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#50 Neveda

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

hmm... I thought the 2x felt about the same as a Jenner-K with weird hardpoint locations. Looking back on my time playing it, I probably should have done a ASRM-6.... my issue with the 2x is that there are very few things that it can do that a jenner-k (or, of course, the D) does better. It came down to larger missile weapons, and I don't really like LRMs on my light 'mechs, so really it was just that ASRM-6. Which wasn't any good back when I played the 2x. I'm not sure how I'd buff it, maybe give it some favorable quirks or something, but I don't quite think it needs another hardpoint.

As for the 4x, I loved the 'mech. But... I kinda have a thing for ballistic lights, which is really only even kind of doable with 35 tonners. I still keep my 4x around (even though I only have 4 'mechbays) just because I like the AC/20 raven so much. I had some good runs with it with an AC/10 as well, mounted JJs so as to make my lower speed less gimping, what with jump turning and all. I've wanted to try some other ones too, but I've seen how bad the double AC/2 variation is (in my opinion. It's got decent DPS and range DPS I suppose, but the AC/2 REALLY is not my sort of weapon). Maybe a UAC/5 and some other stuff with the tonnage I save with the smaller weapon than what I usually have on there...

3L? Needs a nerf. I'm not sure why it was thought it was a good idea. It's not so bad as far as hardpoints go (though the possibility of double streaks with ECM is a little much, it's not so bad with the recent nerfs). It has the same number of hardpoints as the other two ravens (something a lot of the other chassis can't really say within their own varients), but it also has the advantage of both ECM, a significantly faster max engine size, and an additional module slot. While this might have been partially mitigated by the fact that one of the missile hardpoints has to shoot through a measly NARC tube, this isn't really a problem as the favored weapon for this build isn't much affected by this limitation.

I'm can't really provide a good explanation for how this can be rectified. The 2x pales in comparison to jenners, and I think it needs something to bring it up to at least their standards. Maybe a set of really good quirks, or perhaps better maximum armor. The 4x as I said I've never had a problem with, but I'd certainly enjoy a buff on it, but as I've not had a problem with the variant I can't really say what it needs. 3L? I'd say reduce it down to one or two module slots (though, with the increasing usefulness of modules (still needs to increase further, methinks), wouldn't it be interesting if ECM also occupied a module slot, on top of it's current limitations), and perhaps reduce it's maximum armor values. Other negative quirks could be good too. Actually... wouldn't it be nice if the 2x and the 3L swapped max engine sizes and module slots? I dunno. It'd be something, I guess.

Edit: I seem a little more whiny in this post than what I'm usually comfortable with, and my grammar is a little shoddy. I have to do work at the moment, but I'll clean it up in a bit.

Edited by Neveda, 03 April 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#51 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

switch max engine rating between 2X/4X with 3L.... and we´re getting there

#52 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Honestly Ravens are in every sense inferior to other lights, Less firepower than a jenner, and without the small profile of the Spider and Commando. Giving the other Raven variants better engines would be perfect.

I really enjoy the Ravens and have now been given hope about using my non-ecm variants. I was just about to sell my 4X... and now I won't have to!

#53 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Do the Raven 2x and 4x need a small buff?

Hell no! They need to be destroyed on sight. I don't normally waste AC20x2 ammo on lights when I drive my Jager but I sure will blow ALL my ammo in hope of killing those ******* Judas-mechs.

#54 Teenage Mutant Ninja Kerensky

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

Finally going to fix ECM and give it to every mech?

#55 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

View PostWolf87535, on 03 April 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

The only reason the 3L is ridiculously op is because of ECM/SSRM combo. Before that, everyone complained about how op Jenners were....

I do not see any Light OP when I am in swyback or stalker with enough amount of lasers...but in balistic mech(jagermech) or missile mech(catapult) its another story...

#56 Arcadinal

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Once agin, the 3L is not OP (certainly no more then the Jenner model), it's just ECM is too unbalancing as it is currently implemented. Non ECM lights have a hard time competing. Not saying they can't, but it's defenitely harder. A lot of this could be remedied by dialing down ECM and/or allowing ECM to be mounted on the othe light chassis and variants. As it stands, there isn't much reason to play the 4x or 2x over the 3L, and that has less to do with the 3L's loadout and much more to do with ECM.

Edited by Arcadinal, 03 April 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#57 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostArcadinal, on 03 April 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Once agin, the 3L is not OP (certainly no more then the Jenner model)

yeah, in no way the 3L could be OP compared to a jenner.... since the jenner is a giant walking center torso without ecm AND has one more energy slot 8[

good jenner pilots might be a pain in the *** and even have chances to be match winners... but get a good jenner pilot into a 3L Raven with common loadout and you will have someone to laugh about almost every enemy.... it´s true.
and it´s just little because of ecm... it´s the nice hitbox of the raven, allowing it to spread damage all over

#58 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostWolf87535, on 03 April 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

The raven 2x and 4x really need a buff of some sort. Slower than other light mechs, less hard points than a Jenner, at least the Spiders have good jumping and a small profile! So what do these two Raven variants do? Die mostly.

If the 4X gets a buff I will go back to getting 6+ kills per match... instead of just 5.

View PostAdrienne Vorton, on 03 April 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

wrong...while the raven 3L is ridiculously easy to play, i agree there, the other 2 ravens are ridiculously slow... they are the slowest lights (113 w/o tweak?) and thus more or less cannon fodder...

I guess that makes me one of the best players alive, since I can score 5 kills and most damage on the winning team in a mech that is more or less cannon fodder.

Edited by xhrit, 03 April 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#59 Redwo1f

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMaple Ridge, B.C. , Canada

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

A real big factor is how you play with it - you simply cannot play the 4x and 2x like Jenners, imho (which I think joe average player tries to do). Don't make yourself the center of attention and instead give skirmish support to the big guys and you will do just fine and score well too - and you may even get thanked by an assault mech piloting teammate in the process.

Edited by Redwo1f, 03 April 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#60 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostRedwo1f, on 03 April 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

A real big factor is how you play with it - you simply cannot play the 4x and 2x like Jenners, imho (which I think joe average player tries to do). Don't make yourself the center of attention and instead give skirmish support to the big guys and you will do just fine and score well too - and you may even get thanked by an assault mech piloting teammate in the process.

That is technically what they are for. They don't need the incredible top speeds that the faster lights have... but need to be a nuisance/distraction that they are meant to be.

I would consider them like the fast Cent-D or Dragon or Bucket-3C... but a little differently. The other mechs are fast enough to be a semi-light chaser, but suffer with weapons due to spending tonnage through its engine. The Raven 2X/4X are supposed to be the more brawler-like light mech, that is not quite the traditional scout that we associate with.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users