Open Beta Explained

101 replies to this topic

#1 Aim-Bot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

I never thought that this would be nessecary at any point.
But it seems like that alot people hardly understand whats happening right now.

Whats a closed beta?

A closed beta is a closed testrun for an upcoming idea of a game wich is tested with some trustable or paying or picked players.

Whats an open beta?

An open beta is no finished product its just the extension of a closed beta when the developers thinking their game idea is ready for the public.
We still dont have a "core product" there will always be plateau phases where just nothing happens wich we realize because the work is spend for things that are not ready for implementation. For example UI 2.0, Comunity warfare, The clans.
While this important things happening in the backround we wont see alot game improvements because the mentioned parts are parts of the core product wich will be released late summer.
The open beta step is a part of the way we go together. they need to test and need our feedback about bugs.

Leaving open beta.

As soon as everything of the " core product " is implemented and tested wich means that it runs as bug free as possible the developers have something to work with and can focus on stuff that we all wish to see.

I hope this post stays up a long time because if this is always present in your mind we shall not see any complains about a game thats not working correct because it cant work correct as long as its not finished.

thx for listening and see you on the battlefield Mechwarriors.

Edited by KuritaGuard, 03 April 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#2 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostKuritaGuard, on 03 April 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

Leaving open beta.

As soon as everything of the " core product " is implemented and tested wich means that it runs bug free the developers have something to work with and can focus on stuff that we all wish to see.

I hope this post stays up a long time because if this is always present in your mind we shall not see any complains about a game thats not working correct because it cant work correct as long as its not finished.

I Hope you're ready to eat those words at this "summer" release.

#3 Aim-Bot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

I am

The only reason why this project could fail is because the comunity let pgi fall because of things are bugged atm.
In any case i often have the feeling that people often dont know what they want.
At first everyone was happy about the highlander now where the heavy metal is out and it cant mount 3 ppc and 1 gauss+ jumpjets people are angry and dissapointed.
But i swear if it could mount 3 ppc+1 gauss+ jumpjets people would sream : OVERPOWERED!

Edited by KuritaGuard, 03 April 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#4 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

What you were talking about was features/core functions not content, content will always have people wine about it in any game.

I would be very very very surprised if all of a sudden a UI 2.0 came out (version 2 in beta makes little sense) and lots of old bugs where fixed in the process.

#5 Magic Murder Bag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Naraka and Shinkoku

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Oh hey I remember fighting alongside ya a few matches ago (I was the dude with the pink cicida). On topic, nice to see that someone actually get what a game in beta actually meant, especially since most F2Ps use it as an excuse nowadays [many games were technically finished but had the beta tag stapled on, at least MWO is truly incomplete and feels like an actual beta complete with the QQ fests and game breakin bugs, not sure how the paying parts fits into this though...]. As for the ragefests and threats, well, who can truly understand the mind of an individual nowadays?

Edited by Magic Murder Bag, 03 April 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#6 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

View Postmatux, on 03 April 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

I Hope you're ready to eat those words at this "summer" release.

Which Year?

#7 Prathios

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

The one caveat I would say to what you put forth here, is that pgi has made this "beta" very much like a finished product. We are already paying for it, and the "timeline" has already started moving. If this were truly a beta, I would not expect to have already dumped over 200 dollars at it. So PGI itself has fudged the lines a bit. Overall though it's a valid post.

#8 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 03 April 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Which Year?

Soon

#9 Phaesphoros

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostKuritaGuard, on 03 April 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

As soon as everything of the " core product " is implemented and tested wich means that it runs bug free the developers have something to work with and can focus on stuff that we all wish to see.

A common misunderstanding is that a beta contains bugs whereas a released program (/whatever) is bug-free. That is not the case.

On top of that, as this is a F2P title, it will always have to provide new content and change.

I'd like to see what the devs themselves say about this, but I'd rather guess this is a decision of the publisher or management.

Edited by Phaesphoros, 03 April 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#10 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Yep, This is definately a Beta. Yesterdays patch shows PGi still has alot of stuff to smooth over. Although, I really wish They fixed Mgs and LBX instead of adding cockpit items.

#11 Elandyll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostKuritaGuard, on 03 April 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

I am

The only reason why this project could fail is because the comunity let pgi fall because of things are bugged atm.
In any case i often have the feeling that people often dont know what they want.
At first everyone was happy about the highlander now where the heavy metal is out and it cant mount 3 ppc and 1 gauss+ jumpjets people are angry and dissapointed.
But i swear if it could mount 3 ppc+1 gauss+ jumpjets people would sream : OVERPOWERED!

It is downright sad to see this level of abject apologism coming from so many players, all wrapped up in their feelings of self superiority and snottyness,

On one hand, they tell you continually that "It's Beta" -LOL-, and on the other hand they tell you continually that

1- You HAVE to give money whatever the state of the project (other words used: "Of course they need to make money!, they are a company and need to make a profit!" - I thought It was beta and there was a founding program?), so that it continues, Beta title be damned
2- If you dare criticize/ provide negative feedback then you are not supportive of the project, in spite of it being supposedly in BETA -LOL- which is intended to be criticized and receive corrective feedback so that changes can be made before the (lol) actual release (like it hasn't already happened - the release)

Bunch of self rigtheous hypocrits is what you are. And yes, I am actually being polite.

Edited by Elandyll, 04 April 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#12 Aim-Bot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostPrathios, on 03 April 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

The one caveat I would say to what you put forth here, is that pgi has made this "beta" very much like a finished product. We are already paying for it, and the "timeline" has already started moving. If this were truly a beta, I would not expect to have already dumped over 200 dollars at it. So PGI itself has fudged the lines a bit. Overall though it's a valid post.

paying for a product i trust in even if its not finished is totally fine for me.That we can choose to pay for this game dont mean that its finished.
IMO all my mc purchases are more a donate for a product that i want to see improved. PGI have to get the money somewhere and i am willing to give them some of my money per month.

View PostPhaesphoros, on 03 April 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

A common misunderstanding is that a beta contains bugs whereas a released program (/whatever) is bug-free. That is not the case.

On top of that, as this is a F2P title, it will always have to provide new content and change.

I'd like to see what the devs themselves say about this, but I'd rather guess this is a decision of the publisher or management.

But its always the aim. sure a product wich left beta phase cant promise to be bugfree but to be honest...no game can make this promise. what i meant was that it should be as bugfree as possible at this stage

#13 Magic Murder Bag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Naraka and Shinkoku

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

somethin' tells me this thread is gonna get ugly in a few posts [*grabs a hazmat suit and flamethrower*].

Edited by Magic Murder Bag, 03 April 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#14 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostTehSBGX, on 03 April 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Yep, This is definately a Beta. Yesterdays patch shows PGi still has alot of stuff to smooth over. Although, I really wish They fixed Mgs and LBX instead of adding cockpit items.

Exactly, Its this adding of content while at the same time introducing major bugs that disrupt or make game play impossible, that play that rub me the wrong way, F2P or not... It makes you question what their actual development time is spent on and how much QA testing is done in house before release.

Edited by matux, 03 April 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#15 Aim-Bot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostMagic Murder Bag, on 03 April 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

Oh hey I remember fighting alongside ya a few matches ago (I was the dude with the pink cicida). On topic, nice to see that someone actually get what a game in beta actually meant, especially since most F2Ps use it as an excuse nowadays [many games were technically finished but had the beta tag stapled on, at least MWO is truly incomplete and feels like an actual beta complete with the QQ fests and game breakin bugs, not sure how the paying parts fits into this though...]. As for the ragefests and threats, well, who can truly understand the mind of an individual nowadays?

yes i do rember your name. if we ever meet again on the battlefield please dont make my head spin by running around me :) and i agree to your words

View Postmatux, on 03 April 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Exactly, Its this adding of content while at the same time introducing major bugs that disrupt to make game play impossible to play that rub me the wrong way, F2P or not... It makes you question what their actual development time is spent on and how much QA testing is done in house before release.

simple answer is the link to the new creative director update

http://mwomercs.com/...irector-update/

Edited by KuritaGuard, 03 April 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#16 Prathios

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostKuritaGuard, on 03 April 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

paying for a product i trust in even if its not finished is totally fine for me.That we can choose to pay for this game dont mean that its finished.
IMO all my mc purchases are more a donate for a product that i want to see improved. PGI have to get the money somewhere and i am willing to give them some of my money per month.

Saying that it's totally fine for you does not make it a good business practice. That you are tolerant of a poor return on your investment is fine for you, but I'm not a fan of it. Currently I think it is akin to highway robbery that mechs are as expensive as they are. Let me put this in context. If you pay for an MMO, you pay about 15 U.S. dollars a month to gain access to virtually everything the game has to offer. In comparison, MWO requires you to spend at least this amount for every hero mech they have in addition to purchasing time. I understand that this is a mechanic to make up for a large number of players paying nothing, but it does mean that those of us who do want to be patrons of the game have to pay an outrageous amount. At its current beta stage, the price points and return on investment is very poor.

#17 Fishbulb333

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

The definition of beta has changed greatly over the years.. To keep this brief I'll try and make just one point..

At the start of closed beta players could buy anything and test it, safe in the knowledge that there would be a reset soon and if they didn't like what they'd bought, well, no big deal. Actual testing took place without players having to pay for it.

After the final reset and start of open beta we're still "testing" things, but now if we want to try something new, in general we need to pay. There are no more resets, nor is there any sort of try before you buy mechanic. (yes, there's 4 trial mechs a month, and yes time served players generally have enough cbills to outright buy any and all new non hero mechs, but you get my point..?)

#18 matux

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostKuritaGuard, on 03 April 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

simple answer is the link to the new creative director update
http://mwomercs.com/...irector-update/

So your saying its OK for them to make major errors month to month as long as they provide content to sell me?

Otherwise I'm unsure of what the link was meant to provide seeing as it mentions nothing about fixing game crashes introduced for those with a high ping, which is over half the people i play with and have organised 8 man games with.

Edited by matux, 03 April 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#19 Aim-Bot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostPrathios, on 03 April 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Saying that it's totally fine for you does not make it a good business practice. That you are tolerant of a poor return on your investment is fine for you, but I'm not a fan of it. Currently I think it is akin to highway robbery that mechs are as expensive as they are. Let me put this in context. If you pay for an MMO, you pay about 15 U.S. dollars a month to gain access to virtually everything the game has to offer. In comparison, MWO requires you to spend at least this amount for every hero mech they have in addition to purchasing time. I understand that this is a mechanic to make up for a large number of players paying nothing, but it does mean that those of us who do want to be patrons of the game have to pay an outrageous amount. At its current beta stage, the price points and return on investment is very poor.

The only problem that i see is if they would lower the prices drasticly the already paying part of the comunity would be very angry cause they already baught the content wich you can get now for not even half of even less the price as it was before.

View PostFishbulb333, on 03 April 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

The definition of beta has changed greatly over the years.. To keep this brief I'll try and make just one point..

At the start of closed beta players could buy anything and test it, safe in the knowledge that there would be a reset soon and if they didn't like what they'd bought, well, no big deal. Actual testing took place without players having to pay for it.

After the final reset and start of open beta we're still "testing" things, but now if we want to try something new, in general we need to pay. There are no more resets, nor is there any sort of try before you buy mechanic. (yes, there's 4 trial mechs a month, and yes time served players generally have enough cbills to outright buy any and all new non hero mechs, but you get my point..?)

There are already plans for a "test it before buy it" function but i dont know if this includes MC purchased content.

Edited by KuritaGuard, 03 April 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#20 Prathios

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

See, all the problems you are encountering in your logic with this thread are rooted in this not being a real beta. I've done beta for a lot of things and this is not one. We are playing a full release that is called a beta. The truth is I'm not receiving anything from "beta testing" for PGI. They don't give me mc to try things, or refund items. (They did this in closed for us but that was a real beta.) At this point, you are paying PGI to beta test their game. Guess what that means... It's not a beta.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users