still getting minimap bug and no hud bug on average once every 3 matches

#44 AnubiteGroove

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

"Working as intended. Bugs are features."

Where is Dale Gribble when you need him?

#45 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostKataris, on 05 April 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

Right, but with each iteration we see a bug or two swept under the rug, but then 4 new ones emerge. My frustration stems from the fact that these HUD bugs have persisted in builds since I started playing. It reminds me of a project I did in college where each developer has their own version of the code and implements changes on that version. Then when they have to merge the changes, they are unable to maintain the fixes and old bugs reappear. I understand these bugs appear intermittently and are difficult to reproduce in the lab, but sometimes I wish the guys at PGI would play the game on live servers more frequently and in longer intervals so that they too can experience how unstable the client is.

The thing about hud bugs though is that they're probably a product of memory leaks. These can be caused by stuff total outside the MWO build itself even; driver issues, things directly associated with your system. The game certainly has bugs that need squashed but for some reason it's the hud bugs that crop up from memory leaks. That doesn't make the client 'unstable', any and every software product (even an OS) grows more unstable the longer it runs. A graphics and processor intensive product (this game or otherwise) that can go 6 hours solid is pretty incredible these days.

Needs work but I wouldn't say MWO is out of scale with everything else on the market.

#46 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Not promising that the... Screen suddenly turns into rainbow colored triangles and you can't see crap mid fight bug isn't addressed in the technical issues post. Often (I'm noticing) when I get hit by missiles. And I need to alt+tab out and back in to fix it. Which doesn't help much when I'm in the middle of a firefight! Possibly dead by then!

It's pretty much an unplayable game for me now, so much for saving for Highlanders!

#47 Snailio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 06 April 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

The thing about hud bugs though is that they're probably a product of memory leaks. These can be caused by stuff total outside the MWO build itself even; driver issues, things directly associated with your system. The game certainly has bugs that need squashed but for some reason it's the hud bugs that crop up from memory leaks. That doesn't make the client 'unstable', any and every software product (even an OS) grows more unstable the longer it runs. A graphics and processor intensive product (this game or otherwise) that can go 6 hours solid is pretty incredible these days.

Needs work but I wouldn't say MWO is out of scale with everything else on the market.

Is this a troll post?

1. "hud bugs though is that they're probably a product of memory leaks" - Memory leaks created by the games code. Memory leaks are a severe problem in terms of creating proper stability. And HUD bugs are game breaking, because it encompasses many different types of problems seen, such as: no minimap, no IFF, no paper doll updates, etc. Each of these are absolutely detrimental to a player and/or team. If you cannot tell friend from foe then how are you expected to play? That is inherently a stability issue.

2. "That doesn't make the client 'unstable', any and every software product (even an OS) grows more unstable the longer it runs." - Previous iterations of this game provided a 2 hour stable period (mostly), and if you did not restart your client prior to that 2 hour mark, you would inevitably crash to desktop. That 2 hour stable period is largely gone, and now it is purely random. After the "hot fix" patch this past Friday, I crashed to desktop on the third drop.

3. " A graphics and processor intensive product (this game or otherwise) that can go 6 hours solid is pretty incredible these days." - If 6 hours is your idea of stable, then we probably don't have anything more to discuss. It is amazing how far expectations have dropped for some people. Furthermore, having MWO run for 6 hours stable is laughable. None of the 30 people I consistently with can play even an hour without seeing multiple gamebreaking bugs.

#48 Kataris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 06 April 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

I agree with you that memory leaks are a serious concern and can be game breaking. A lot of the other games I play (pretty much all of them) do not have memory leaks like this.

#49 Stoicblitzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Posted Image

#50 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Maybe they should just disable the HUD for everyone until they can fix it. Pretty rough matches tonight.

#51 Kataris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostSagamore, on 07 April 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Maybe they should just disable the HUD for everyone until they can fix it. Pretty rough matches tonight.

No doubt, had a horrible time last night getting a stable match. Still no official word on stable release ETA.

#52 Forlorn Wongraven

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

Every couple games I get the FRead error, after that only reinstalling helps. If the patching mechanism wouldn't be as painful as it is right now (like a latest version installer exe) it wouldn't really bother me. Otherwise the game is working for me.

#53 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostSnailio, on 07 April 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

Is this a troll post?

1. "hud bugs though is that they're probably a product of memory leaks" - Memory leaks created by the games code. Memory leaks are a severe problem in terms of creating proper stability. And HUD bugs are game breaking, because it encompasses many different types of problems seen, such as: no minimap, no IFF, no paper doll updates, etc. Each of these are absolutely detrimental to a player and/or team. If you cannot tell friend from foe then how are you expected to play? That is inherently a stability issue.

2. "That doesn't make the client 'unstable', any and every software product (even an OS) grows more unstable the longer it runs." - Previous iterations of this game provided a 2 hour stable period (mostly), and if you did not restart your client prior to that 2 hour mark, you would inevitably crash to desktop. That 2 hour stable period is largely gone, and now it is purely random. After the "hot fix" patch this past Friday, I crashed to desktop on the third drop.

3. " A graphics and processor intensive product (this game or otherwise) that can go 6 hours solid is pretty incredible these days." - If 6 hours is your idea of stable, then we probably don't have anything more to discuss. It is amazing how far expectations have dropped for some people. Furthermore, having MWO run for 6 hours stable is laughable. None of the 30 people I consistently with can play even an hour without seeing multiple gamebreaking bugs.

Here's the thing. I have hud bugs one drop in 20 or 30. It's annoying I agree completely. I'm eager to see it go away but I did decide to play a game in beta with all that entails instead of waiting so this is part of the price you pay. It sounds like you're having worse issues than most but you're also operating under what's called 'confirmation bias'. You're inclined to be involved in discussions that agree with your bias so you're seeing it more. Of the 20 or so people I play with only 2 of them are having 'regular issues' with the hud. None are crashing. So, my anecdotal experience is better than yours? Yours than mine? That you're having an issue isn't being debated here. The idea that it's a universal problem is.

As to 6 hours solid without stability issues, what game released in the last 24 months that's a heavy graphics intensive game have you been playing? Last 3 years? 5? Crysis? Crysis 2? Crysis 3? Skyrim? Any of the Battlefield series? Witcher 2? Come on, throw me a bone here. Give me an example of a graphics-heavy game released even vaguely recently that runs consistently for everyone for 6 hours or more without a crash or graphics issue from time to time. I'd love to look at their forums, it's probably the envy of the internet. Because every game I've played in the last half decade has a forum full of people talking about crashing, freezing, glitching and graphics issues.

You get everyone to run the same brand of graphics card, the same family of drivers, or how about just get everyone into 64 bit operating systems and we can have a reasonable conversation about the expectations of software product stability.

View PostKataris, on 07 April 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

I agree with you that memory leaks are a serious concern and can be game breaking. A lot of the other games I play (pretty much all of them) do not have memory leaks like this.

Like what? I'm curious as to what games I've been missing. Something this graphics heavy. I don't have issues with Torchlight 2 but I wouldn't say it's quite in the same spectrum for visuals.

#54 Kataris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostCYBRN4CR, on 08 April 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

The next stable release IS release (Late July/Early August) and should be stable from then out. If you don't expect things to be buggy even wildly so in a Beta then you're delusional.

I don't expect it to be bug free, I just expect to see progress of bugs getting fixed over time. So far none of that, the frequency and number of bugs are increasing.

#55 Snailio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 08 April 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

Here's the thing. I have hud bugs one drop in 20 or 30. It's annoying I agree completely. I'm eager to see it go away but I did decide to play a game in beta with all that entails instead of waiting so this is part of the price you pay. It sounds like you're having worse issues than most but you're also operating under what's called 'confirmation bias'. You're inclined to be involved in discussions that agree with your bias so you're seeing it more. Of the 20 or so people I play with only 2 of them are having 'regular issues' with the hud. None are crashing. So, my anecdotal experience is better than yours? Yours than mine? That you're having an issue isn't being debated here. The idea that it's a universal problem is.

As to 6 hours solid without stability issues, what game released in the last 24 months that's a heavy graphics intensive game have you been playing? Last 3 years? 5? Crysis? Crysis 2? Crysis 3? Skyrim? Any of the Battlefield series? Witcher 2? Come on, throw me a bone here. Give me an example of a graphics-heavy game released even vaguely recently that runs consistently for everyone for 6 hours or more without a crash or graphics issue from time to time. I'd love to look at their forums, it's probably the envy of the internet. Because every game I've played in the last half decade has a forum full of people talking about crashing, freezing, glitching and graphics issues.

You get everyone to run the same brand of graphics card, the same family of drivers, or how about just get everyone into 64 bit operating systems and we can have a reasonable conversation about the expectations of software product stability.

Like what? I'm curious as to what games I've been missing. Something this graphics heavy. I don't have issues with Torchlight 2 but I wouldn't say it's quite in the same spectrum for visuals.

Do you play in 8 mans? The reason I ask is because the 8 man drops, for whatever reason, seem to be vastly worse in the appearance of bugs. Even the guys I play with confirm that they don't have nearly as many problems when they aren't in the 8 man queue. As soon as we enter the 8 man queue you can bet your house on at least 2 of our 8 guys having problems. This has been the case since the most recent patch. Of course, before that, we experienced bugs, but nowhere near the frequency as post patch.

In regards to your graphics question.. While MWO is built upon Cryengine3, it is in no way close to the visual pleasing graphics of some of those other games you listed. MWO has no DX11 (beauty), and no Crossfire/SLI (power) support in this game. Regardless, I have played Path of Exile for over 12 hours stable, and it only went to open beta in February (several months after MWO). Furthermore I have had zero UI bugs, "HUD" bugs, or CTDs in Path of Exile. The stability shown in that game is utterly impressive. The amount of bugs in MWO compared to PoE, on the other hand, is mind blowing and frustrating after experiencing a beta like PoE. When you take into consideration the amount of content PoE has compared to MWO, it is even more shocking. If you have not played PoE, it can get quite intensive regarding graphics when you have six players with AoE spells fighting tons of mobs.

Edited by Snailio, 09 April 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#56 Texas Merc

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Shortly after Launch

#57 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Don't worry guys, I'm gonna sacrifice as many goats as possible to Odin for MWO stability. That's gonna work right?

#58 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostTehSBGX, on 09 April 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

Don't worry guys, I'm gonna sacrifice as many goats as possible to Odin for MWO stability. That's gonna work right?

Actually, you need to sacrifice them to the MODs

There is a whole cult growing around it

in K Town

#59 Texas Merc

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Im coming for you on Monday RB so you better be at MMM (even my crap fps post patch wont stop me ) I will try and coax agent to show as well

Edited by Texas Merc, 09 April 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#60 Elfman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

If all these HUD problems are memory leaks then its a serious leak as I quiet often get them first drop after launching game and dropping straight away.

16gb of system ram 4gb graphics card a memory leak within 30 seconds should not happen

Edited by Elfman, 09 April 2013 - 03:40 PM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users