I Use A Joystick In My Left Hand And A Mouse In My Right. People Say It "gimps" Me... How?

74 replies to this topic

#21 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:04 AM

View Postslimebucket, on 04 April 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

I posted asking about why a joystick may gimp, and if it doesn't then a simple "joystick doesn't gimp in my opinion, there is just a lot of trolls everyone on the net u lunk head! You should know this by now, no matter where on the net you go, you cannot escape the troll!" would survice.

That is basically what we ARE saying!

#22 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

View Postslimebucket, on 04 April 2013 - 03:34 AM, said:

But the fact is, many people are saying "Joystick in the left hand gimps you" and I don't understand how.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say anything about using joysticks and driving in the under hive besides using a joystick in lieu of an actual mouse. :shrug:

It usually goes like this, mouse is better for aiming than a joystick. /discussion.

Edited by Ghogiel, 04 April 2013 - 04:08 AM.

#23 slimebucket

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationVernon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

View PostApheX, on 04 April 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

Don't listen to them dude. If your setup works for you, then thats all that matters. If they can't understand and use it as an excuse to have a go at you, then ignore them. Why does it matter to them how you play the game control wise. idiots.

They could make a course in University trying to understand the troll aspect of peoples minds. I honestly believe EVERYONE is a troll, and that is why the internet is so full of them. There is a part of everyone's subconscious that is a troll, and that enjoys putting someone they believe to be dumb, or of needing to be put into place, put into place. Everyone I feel has times where they troll others, and they do not even realize it. To them, they are arguing a good arguement, when in reality, they are being a trolling jerk.

#24 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

Trolling is an art form and a science, so would we get a BA and a BSc?

#25 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

Whatever works for you.

Though I don't think there was a need to tell people about your setup. It's like posting on facetube and telling people you like cookies.

#26 IguanaBlue

Rookie

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMemphis

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:11 AM

i use pretty much the same set up except i use a 3dpro that was sitting around until they added analog turning and since then i mapped the legs to the handle twist also and Get THIS i use my GT driving force pedals for thottle up and down.Its not typical but it works for me

#27 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:12 AM

View Postslimebucket, on 04 April 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

man you eccho the exact reason I had in my head of why I thought joystick for torso twisting would be better!

Normally the mouse controls arm + torso movement, I don't know if it's even possible to separate the two.

If you meant "joystick for turning (the legs)" I'm with you though. That should be analog with a joystick, and therefore objectively better than the digital turning you're relegated to with a keyboard.

#28 slimebucket

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationVernon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

View PostJames DeGriz, on 04 April 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

That is basically what we ARE saying!

I see. Thank you!

Many people have confirmed my thoughts.

Thank you to the non e-therap ists! (LOL it censors the word because of r apists!)

Some times when lots of idiots accuse you of something you have to do a reality check and make sure who is the dumb a$s.

Edited by slimebucket, 04 April 2013 - 04:21 AM.

#29 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

As far as I am concerned, joystick + mouse is the true way to play a mechwarrior game. I got so used to it in MW2 that I used the setup in FPS games as well and it's really good in those games that support the incremental movement. Sadly, those games are really rare these days and I usually settle for keyboard due to increasing lack of even basic stick support, but moving on.

To me, using the Y-axis for throttle is natural and doesn't strain my wrist at all. Not using the handle twist might have something to do with it. I have learned from my over a decade of playing FPS with a stick that constantly holding it forward may eventually break the stick's centering, though. Therefore, I tend to compromise. I use the keypad throttle when moving from point A to point B and stick Y-axis throttle when in actual combat.

I agree that the gimp comments are either trolling or come from the assumption that you use the stick to aim from those who don't bother to read your post. I do plan to try 2 stick combo one of these days just to see how it's like, but I don't expect aiming with stick to be very good.

Edited by Kissamies, 04 April 2013 - 04:18 AM.

#30 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:19 AM

OK, just for the record: Using a joystick as a throttle/kb replacement does NOT gimp you, as you use the mouse to aim. Using a joystick to aim, however, does as it takes a while to walk the reticule onto the target, where a mouse user can just flick the reticule onto the target.

Your set up should actually be close to ideal.

Try pasting this in your user.cfg to give you a throttle that stops in the middle, pulls back to reverse, and pushes forward to accelerate. Very good way of driving a mech
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1
(I have not played for a bit, so this may have been deprecated. Use at your own risk, yadda yadda yadda. If this does not work in user.cfg it may have been moved to options in the client.)

#31 Low351

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:25 AM

Any way you play better can't be bad. Thanks to the OP for making me think about how I'm playing. With all these new keys coming in for the new features I'm starting to get muddled.

I was hitting "F" the other night wondering why my coolant flush wasn't happening. Duh! it's default mapping is the "Delete" key. Someone mentionned that may be retained muscle memory from MW2 in my case.

Anywho, after reading your post I wondered if I should get a dedicated periperhal for my left hand, after all I bought a 6-button gaming mouse for my right.

I like the look of the Razor Nostromo. Is anyone using that with MWO? It appears to have enough keys to map to things like coolant flush and air strike etc. If I can configure them to my liking I might manage to use the features when I need them rather than fumble.

Posted Image

#32 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:27 AM

The big disadvantage to using a joystick is aiming. So if you are using the mouse to aim, then that overrides the joysticks weakness.

In fact I would say that a joystick in the left, and mouse on the right is a superior way to pilot your mech, over the keyboard.

I use a G13 with my left hand, movement bound to the thumbstick, which is essentially using a joystick with my left hand.

G13:

Posted Image

#33 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:28 AM

I don't see a problem with this setup. In the last month i have started using a razer nostromo
Posted Image

I still have the wasd and r keys on the keypad but the joystick/dpad is left/right a/d and up/down is max throttle and full stop, the silver button is my jumpjets, the scroll weel is up for 10% speed increase and down for -10% speed, the button below the dpad is ctrl so I can peek out the sides of my mechs cockpit.

View PostLow351, on 04 April 2013 - 04:25 AM, said:

I like the look of the Razor Nostromo. Is anyone using that with MWO? It appears to have enough keys to map to things like coolant flush and air strike etc. If I can configure them to my liking I might manage to use the features when I need them rather than fumble.

now that all the extra control features are in from one of the last patches the nostromo is more useful, all the different throttle controls are great.

Edited by MonkeyCheese, 04 April 2013 - 04:31 AM.

#34 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

View PostcyberFluke, on 04 April 2013 - 03:15 AM, said:

I use one of these in my left hand: Posted Image Do yourself a favour and make the forward/backward motion control your throttle, this gives you far more responsive control of your mech's speed. Secondly, ignore the clueless tools that say you're gimping yourself, they're wrong, just plain wrong.

I _so_ want! Very, very jealous. :D

#35 Funkadelic Mayhem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:42 AM

gamepad in the left and a mouse in the right. I would not have it any other way.

#36 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

I agree that with more controls coming in things like the G 13 gameboard and similar peripherals are going to be a lot more useful in future and are now slowly but surely becoming worth a look.

#37 MentalPatient

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:45 AM

I personally use the throttle from my logitech g940, mouse for aiming, and a set of pedals for turning the mech. It is a brilliant setup. You have the precision of the mouse for aiming your arms and torso, with the comfort and sheer button brilliance of a throttle with multiple buttons and hat switches with shift modes as well, giving literally hundreds of different functions to my left hand alone, and the pedals just make turning the mech so smooth, independent from everything else, it feels so natural and gives me that little bit more of an edge when trying to precisely aim.

Whatever works for you I say.

#38 Lucy Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 282 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

I was curious if Razer was going to produce this:
Posted Image

http://www.razerzone...artemis/concept

It looked interesting, but still has the aiming limitation.

#39 Oni Ralas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 762 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

From time to time, I will use my hotas throttle on the left side. Remap the triggers to left/right, and the throttle as normal. Makes ducking in and out of urban areas much more fun, although I've used WSAD so damn long (on my nostromo) that I have almost the same feel.

Joystick for targeting is just too rough. I used it when I was LRM boating, and it was a blast...but no longer.

#40 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

I've run into this. I use a Belkin Nostromo on my left and Logitech Extreme 3D Pro on my right

I was discussing on TS once about the frustrations (at the time) of no real JS support in the game. The conversation evolved into why i use a JS, and it boiled down to my being left handed and LONG ago, this became my default setup for playing Mechwarrior (and a few other games) as it felt natural and didn't involve remapping every keybinding in a game because WASD just doesn't work when your mouse is on the left.

Well at some point in the conversation, it became 1 hour of me being lectured on how I need a new mouse and to retrain my body from 15 years of gaming for WASD play.

Some people just don't realize that there are more options in the world than what THEY feel is right. And they will argue with their dying breath that their way is the only way.

Edited by Roadbeer, 04 April 2013 - 06:49 AM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users