I Use A Joystick In My Left Hand And A Mouse In My Right. People Say It "gimps" Me... How?

74 replies to this topic

#41 F lan Ker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArctic Circle

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

S!

I use solely a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS setup with CH ProPedals to play this game and fare OK. Do not feel gimping myself the slightest. Sure you can swing the reticule around the screen at idiotical speeds with the mouse, but the torso itself does not move any faster than programmed. I have got so used to the joystick as used it since Closed Beta. And of course flight simming has made the use of it a 2nd nature in a way.

PGI has improved the peripheral support and hopefully refines it more in the future. This way you can cater to the both ends of the spectrum, m/kb to full HOTAS users and those in between. A true win win for all of us. No reason to loudmouth anyone for their style of playing.

#42 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

If I understand your setup correctly, wouldn't it be uncomfortable to turn and switch vision modes at the same time?

#43 F lan Ker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArctic Circle

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

S!

I do not have any problems with that as using pedals to turn the Mech :) Every button needed is mapped to the throttle and joystick, even the TS PTT, so rarely need to even touch keyboard. Unless writing to chat or something.

#44 Eric darkstar Marr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

I use my HOTAS throttle and mouse all the time now if I am feeling SIM I will go with the Stick and pedals but I only do that in PUGs.

I find a HOTAS throttle is by far superior then a keyboard.

Reference I use a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X.

#45 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 04 April 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

Some people just don't realize that there are more options in the world than what THEY feel is right. And they will argue with their dying breath that their way is the only way.

This is applicable to basically all human endeavours. People just assume that they are the measure of the world, and have a really hard time seeing there might be other ways of doing things - some of which may actually be both smarter, easier, and more rewarding.

#46 Stygian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationohio

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

View Postslimebucket, on 04 April 2013 - 03:21 AM, said:

this is a beta.

So some times bugs arise.

So I make a post about my problem. My problem only happens on my joystick, NOT ON the keyboard.

So I HAVE to say its my joystick.

So then the post gets filled with people bashing me about how I suck. 3 pages of insults so I tell them how lame they are being insulting me.. I made 1 post that wasn't even rude, or used any swears or was directed at any one person and my thread gets locked.

I just want to submit bugs, or figure out how to get my game working, not deal with getting insulted and having to be fearful of telling people I use a joystick.

Also I am not concerned with criticism at all. If it improves me I WELCOME IT.

My point is, people tell me it sucks and gimps me, but THEY DO NOT EVER SAY WHY. Thats why I am asking.

this is also mechwarrior, im pretty sure the reason this IP hasnt been picked up in 10 years is directly because of those people also throw in the fact that the internet, not beer, brings out peoples real personality free on the consequences of being punched in the mouth for being little punks

#47 TheFuzzyBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

Posted Image

I use the throttle in my left hand, mouse in the right. Joystick sits behind my monitor. Work well for me.

#48 Noonan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 153 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

I am with you slimebucket. I am a lefty, so I use a joystick in the right hand and aim with a mouse in the left hand. Every once in a while I will try to play a game with joystick only, but I invariably start using the mouse after accepting that the difference is huge.

#49 sj mausgmr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

There's nothing wrong with a joystick for Movement. Some of the best players I know have used such setups.

#50 Monkeystador

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

Posted Image

My left hand stick. Have some footpedals as well. I use the a mouse for aiming though.

#51 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Um, no if people are telling you it gimps you, they are wrong.

The Left Hand Joystick + Mouse Aim is the best setup if you are attempting to use a Joystick while playing a Mech Warrior game. It gives you the precision aim capability.

http://www.mechwarri.../trm/Config.htm

Steering is less precise than aiming. So aiming should always be left to the mouse if you want to be the best shooter in the galaxy, or if you are pro at PC FPS games.

#52 NitroBurst

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 69 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

OP, that is a flippin great idea!! OMG! But what I'll do is get a joystick with more buttons for the thumb in order to have other operations at the flick of the thumb. Don't listen to ppl who criticize it. They are either jealous b/c they didn't think of it first, are elitists who believe that the only way to win is their way, or they just want to troll you lol. I don't know if it could be done but I want to see if you can have both the gas pedal way and the numbered set way to set your speed. This way I can switch between using each one as situations arise. Idk if they have a "Cruise Control" button, but if not that would be a cool idea to pair up with the gas throttle option. Good stuff either way.

PS: Now imagine a two joystick setup... :ph34r: :D

#53 Lazydrones541

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

I might need to borrow my dad's flight sim set up. Seems like it might be kinda fun...

#54 GRay111111

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

I use this modded Saitek x45 throttle with a Leo Bodnar USB joystick board wired in (same as x35 throttle).
Works a dream, the rudder control (analogue) is perfect for steering a mech.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 NinetyProof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostGRay111111, on 04 April 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

I use this modded Saitek x45 throttle with a Leo Bodnar USB joystick board wired in (same as x35 throttle).
Works a dream, the rudder control (analogue) is perfect for steering a mech.

Don't know ... that's just the throttle right? where is the *left/right* controls?

I am starting to not like the keyboard for piloting the mech so I have been giving this some thought lately. In the old Mech Warrior games (and I mean really old) you just used the joystick, and that was fine ... back then. Now I am so used to using a mouse, I would not want to change that ... so mouse = aim with basic firing attributes.

So that leaves movement. What I used to like about the joystick was "torso twist" ... but that is now under the control of the mouse. What I don't like about the JS is throttle decay when returned to center. So that really doesn't leave much for the JS to do ... so I guess JS is out for me.

So if a keyboard is out, and a JS is out, what does that leave? a Gaming Pad with a HAT? The idea of a hat switch for left / right I think would work ... as well as forward / back being on the hat as well.

I really miss having keys/buttons for 1/3 and 2/3'rd speed settings ... as well as full throttle / full reverse keys / buttons and a good PAD with programmable keys could possibly take care of that? Is there a way to program in 33% throttle / 66% throttle?

#56 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

What if I told you, I too use a joystick?

I'd love to see people tell me that I've gimped myself. (yeah, I'm pulling the I'm better than you at 80's stompy robuts and I know it card)

#57 Utilyan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Buncha stupid control setups...... No wonder you guys are so horrible. Look at this bad boy I got... :D

See below the lights......I got each weapon group right there........All I gotta do is pull the switch.....easy. :ph34r:

Posted Image

#58 slimebucket

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 60 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationVernon

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostKissamies, on 04 April 2013 - 04:16 AM, said:

As far as I am concerned, joystick + mouse is the true way to play a mechwarrior game. I got so used to it in MW2 that I used the setup in FPS games as well and it's really good in those games that support the incremental movement. Sadly, those games are really rare these days and I usually settle for keyboard due to increasing lack of even basic stick support, but moving on.

To me, using the Y-axis for throttle is natural and doesn't strain my wrist at all. Not using the handle twist might have something to do with it. I have learned from my over a decade of playing FPS with a stick that constantly holding it forward may eventually break the stick's centering, though. Therefore, I tend to compromise. I use the keypad throttle when moving from point A to point B and stick Y-axis throttle when in actual combat.

I agree that the gimp comments are either trolling or come from the assumption that you use the stick to aim from those who don't bother to read your post. I do plan to try 2 stick combo one of these days just to see how it's like, but I don't expect aiming with stick to be very good.

I tried ....aiming with a stick is so frustrating if you do not own a really expensive stick that has a really high DPI(not sure if this is the term) it honestly feels like playing using a console controller but worse. Aim left.. too far, back right, too far, back left, too far... yeah, it's fun sure, but incredibly frustrating.

#59 von Pilsner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

Joystick support is still not that great (esp. compared to many flight sims, ie: RoF and the old IL-2), but it is fun to use one.

NOTE: The mouse is awfully close to the right stick - makes sniping a bit quicker and easier... (again better JS support in-game would be nice).

Posted Image

#60 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

I know of those that use the P990 Saitek (gamepad) sitting in front of them for movement, throttle, about four other commands, and the mouse for aiming firing, multi function programmed buttons, and they do quite well...

Gimping "NO", best of both worlds without having to use a flight stick..?? YUP

Edited by Odins Fist, 04 April 2013 - 02:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users