• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 221 posts
  • LocationWhy, East of Eden

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

Got a reply from PGI

Hello XXXX,

For the PPC, this is as intended. The weapon is mounted on your shoulder, so it fires a bit off center, but it hits its target. (Your video shows the PPC centering on its crosshairs)

For the Large Lasers, this is due to what you're aiming at.
In your video, the range finder on your reticle shows 416m
The Mech you're "aiming" at is at 402m
Basically you're firing at the ground behind the Mech, but because the Mech is sort of visually there, the reticle and laser alignment gets messed up a bit.

That being said, we'll keep an eye out for more reports like this.

Regards,XXX
Senior GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

Yeah, I understand, but a newb won't bother to look for an explanation. He will just think "I was aiming for this location and my big shiny lazzors fired off reticle." This is low prio but it will need a fix some day soon...

#23 hammerreborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

AFAIK pilot skills do not work in the training grounds

#24 armyof1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

View PostMild Monkey, on 06 April 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

Got a reply from PGI

Hello XXXX,

For the PPC, this is as intended. The weapon is mounted on your shoulder, so it fires a bit off center, but it hits its target. (Your video shows the PPC centering on its crosshairs)

Basically you're firing at the ground behind the Mech, but because the Mech is sort of visually there, the reticle and laser alignment gets messed up a bit.

Regards,XXX
Senior GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

Yeah, I understand, but a newb won't bother to look for an explanation. He will just think "I was aiming for this location and my big shiny lazzors fired off reticle." This is low prio but it will need a fix some day soon...

Frankly it still doesn't make sense, when the laser hits it should always hit in the center of the reticle, unless the distance of the object you're pointing at is handled incorrectly. I did some tests with the medium lasers on the arms of my 4SP and when you have your torso twisted to the extreme left/right, the lasers will be a bit off center. Extreme right torso twist, the lasers will be off-center to the left and vice versa.

#25 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

Convergence has been broken for ages. :)

Edited by Budor, 06 April 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#26 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

u should ask y do all the other mechs with T mounted weps, aim right then:P K2, prats, the lists goes on. BUT hunchy and atlas are different. thats right working as intended....

Edited by keith, 06 April 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#27 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostMild Monkey, on 06 April 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

Got a reply from PGI

Hello XXXX,

For the PPC, this is as intended. The weapon is mounted on your shoulder, so it fires a bit off center, but it hits its target. (Your video shows the PPC centering on its crosshairs).

Regards,XXX
Senior GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

********. Weapons fire at the center of the screen, but your crosshairs are not centered. If you look closer you will notice that it's moved to the right. If you change your torso twist your crosshairs will change its placement on screen. Actuall aimpoint (for the weapons and rangefinder) is still on the center of the screen though.

I've submitted a ticket about this some time ago. I thought it's related to the changes in Twist X skill and having lower arm actuator, but it looks like it is one of the Hunchback features (that made me sell my Hunchbacks).

Blue box shows where's the screen center:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit: actually croshairs are off center for all mechs, but for 1-2 pixels only and it seems not to change when you twist left and right (or the change is so small I can't notice it). Hunchback are different however for some reason.

Edited by Krzysztof z Bagien, 06 April 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#28 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

All Hunchbacks currently have very off-center reticules. This ****** me off not only because I pilot them but because the Devs have known about this issue for months now.

#29 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

They could fix it whenever they modify the Hunchback so weapon changes appear on the mesh properly like the Jager now.

#30 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

View PostMerchant, on 06 April 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

They could fix it whenever they modify the Hunchback so weapon changes appear on the mesh properly like the Jager now.

It's not related. It's purely HUD bug/feature/whatever you call it.

#31 Mild Monkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

View PostKrzysztof z Bagien, on 06 April 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

********. Weapons fire at the center of the screen, but your crosshairs are not centered. If you look closer you will notice that it's moved to the right. If you change your torso twist your crosshairs will change its placement on screen. Actuall aimpoint (for the weapons and rangefinder) is still on the center of the screen though.

I've submitted a ticket about this some time ago. I thought it's related to the changes in Twist X skill and having lower arm actuator, but it looks like it is one of the Hunchback features (that made me sell my Hunchbacks).

Blue box shows where's the screen center:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit: actually croshairs are off center for all mechs, but for 1-2 pixels only and it seems not to change when you twist left and right (or the change is so small I can't notice it). Hunchback are different however for some reason.

Dziękuję bardzo! To dobre wytłumaczenie i dobry przykład. (Yes, I do speak your language, not a native speaker though, go figure...)
Back to the issue: while Krzystof's explanation is even more enlightening than the reply of PGI, the main problem remains: how are the noobs going to react when they've just bought their very affordable and otherwise quite effective Hunch only to see that the thing is basically not fit for long range engagement?

#32 Mild Monkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Basically you're firing at the ground behind the Mech, but because the Mech is sort of visually there, the reticle and laser alignent gets messed up a bit.
How is anybody supposed to figure that out when in battle? "Ah wait, yeah, here's my range finder and this is my reticle. Now I see how I am going to place my shot. Just a sec, target, please don't you move...Oh wait, now I'm dead because I spent 10 seconds to calculate this. NVM..."

Edited by Mild Monkey, 06 April 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#33 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

View PostBudor, on 06 April 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

Convergence has been broken for ages. B)

I guess my expectations of having lag issues at 130-150 ping has masked this problem from me, and my preference to just shoot center mass also due to the lag. It's pretty amazing though that an FPS would have these aiming issues for a long time and not fixing it.

#34 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

I notice a similar thing with the 4J with either 3 Large Lasers or 3 PPC's mounted in the torso. Every match the weapons would focus an a different point slightly off from the cross hair.

#35 Media

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

I just looked into this on my HBK-4G(F). The reticles center point changes based on the facing of your 'Mech.

If you face directly north, 0 degrees, the reticle will be accurate. If you turn right 90 degrees, either torso twisting or actually turning your 'Mech the crosshair will shift to the left. At ~171 degrees it centers rear. At 270 degrees the crosshair will be to the right, mirroring how it was at 90.

I'm not explaining myself well:

Posted Image

Basically the crosshair is shifting depending on your facing.

It's weird.

I would certainly not think it is intended behavior.

Edit: You can actually watch the reticle shift left and right slowly if you turn your 'Mech in circles while standing still.

And as a comparison I got in my Jenner and the reticle stays dead center no matter the facing. I'm not sure if this effects any other 'Mechs, but I've only really noticed it on my Hunchbacks. It's always been like that.

Edited by Media, 06 April 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#36 Mild Monkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

View PostMedia, on 06 April 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

I just looked into this on my HBK-4G(F). The reticles center point changes based on the facing of your 'Mech.

If you face directly north, 0 degrees, the reticle will be accurate. If you turn right 90 degrees, either torso twisting or actually turning your 'Mech the crosshair will shift to the left. At ~171 degrees it centers rear. At 270 degrees the crosshair will be to the right, mirroring how it was at 90.

I'm not explaining myself well:

Posted Image

Basically the crosshair is shifting depending on your facing.

It's weird.

I would certainly not think it is intended behavior.

Edit: You can actually watch the reticle shift left and right slowly if you turn your 'Mech in circles while standing still.

And as a comparison I got in my Jenner and the reticle stays dead center no matter the facing. I'm not sure if this effects any other 'Mechs, but I've only really noticed it on my Hunchbacks. It's always been like that.

Very neat observation. The guy at PGI's who replied to my ticket said they will track this (Altough it's a longstanding issue) and wait for similar reports. so I implore you to send them a bug report with your findings.

#37 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:17 AM

from my experience you have to aim a little "in" especially with ppc´s and ac´s... means if you fire a right torso mounted ppc, aim slightly "inside" to the left, just a notch, otherwise it misses a thumb broad... at least i often had that happening...

#38 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

View PostMild Monkey, on 06 April 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Dziękuję bardzo! To dobre wytłumaczenie i dobry przykład. (Yes, I do speak your language, not a native speaker though, go figure...)
Back to the issue: while Krzystof's explanation is even more enlightening than the reply of PGI, the main problem remains: how are the noobs going to react when they've just bought their very affordable and otherwise quite effective Hunch only to see that the thing is basically not fit for long range engagement?

Nice! :P

I've seen a guy yesterday that tried to hit me with (ER?)PPCs mounted on Hunchback. He didn't hit me even once and I was standing still sniping his teammates.

#39 Mild Monkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostKrzysztof z Bagien, on 07 April 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

Nice! :P

I've seen a guy yesterday that tried to hit me with (ER?)PPCs mounted on Hunchback. He didn't hit me even once and I was standing still sniping his teammates.

Could have been just general incompetence and a twitchy mouse resolution, could also have been this issue as well. Hard to tell...

#40 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

I've noticed the Hunchy has an arm laser convergence problem, but its not extreme.

29 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 29 guests, 0 anonymous users