20 replies to this topic

#1 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:01 AM

I haven't used the unlocked version of Fraps, or any of the other pay for video recordings, but I have tried using some of the trial versions and I wasn't really perfectly happy with them.

MSI Afterburner is what I eventually ended up using since it would record pretty high quality without messing with the quality of my game.

There were some things about it I didn't like though. There is a little pink circle in the upper right hand corner (not sure if this was something that could be disabled before), and more importantly I could either record my voice, or all of the other sounds.

With MSI Afterburner 2.3.1 both of these are remedied. There is a setting that keeps the pink circle from being recorded on the video (may have been in an earlier release, but I found it on my recent download), and they have finally given the option for two audio inputs, so you can record yourself along with game sounds and people in Teamspeak/Vent/Mumble.

#2 AnnoyingCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Locationcat planet for cats

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

Seems ligit

#3 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:52 AM

i use bandicam now, and its great not only for games :D

as for the sound recording: bandicam can record microphone and stereomix seperately into 2 different wave files, that´s nice for editing later, you dont have to extract them

the main reason i use it over fraps now is: fraps only allows a few seconds of recording, bandicam free version allows 10 minutes.,plus the bandicam files are like a 1/10 in size and quality is good... i like it that much, i´m thinking about getting the full version :lol:

Edited by Alex Warden, 07 April 2013 - 05:57 AM.

#4 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:05 AM

You should check out MSI Afterburner before buying bandicam. I tried the trial of that one, and like MSI Afterburner a little better. Plus... its free.

I think it may be able to record the tracks independently. There is a toggle called: Mix Multiple Audio Tracks.

EDIT: Yes, that's what the tooltip says that checkbox is for.

Edited by Belorion, 07 April 2013 - 06:06 AM.

#5 Franchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • Locationplaying something else.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

View PostBelorion, on 07 April 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

You should check out MSI Afterburner before buying bandicam. I tried the trial of that one, and like MSI Afterburner a little better. Plus... its free.

I think it may be able to record the tracks independently. There is a toggle called: Mix Multiple Audio Tracks.

EDIT: Yes, that's what the tooltip says that checkbox is for.

I really like afterburner, problem is it will not recognize shift as a push to talk key, so i either have no voice from me, or I have my creepy breathing recorded.

#6 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

Odd... I use ` for my push to talk which I have bound to a foot pedal, since it isn't a key that is really used for anything else.
So I am not getting that problem.

Edited by Belorion, 07 April 2013 - 06:35 AM.

#7 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

I've been using playclaw4. It also has the advantage of letting you set up overlays for things like VOIP services (TS can be unreliable with MWO), FPS, CPU/GPU stats. The videos have a watermark unless you pay $7US or more, but the free version is nice.

#8 TheMagician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

You can use dxtory, and if you can get it to work, adobe has an app that is supposed to be pretty good.

You can also use open broadcaster software, and just save it to file, instead of streaming.

MSI Afterburner works well for some. Though I've had a few people tell me that it isn't always reliable.

#9 JimSuperBleeder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 473 posts
  • LocationZimbabwe

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

I have been using fraps but I can't ever seem to get the quality right. I'll have to try some of these. Voice recording isn't important to me, unless you want to hear me yelling at my teammates that can't hear me.

#10 Zero Neutral

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

I don't know what this is, can you make any sense of it?

#11 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

I've used Bandicam since last October and its worked out great! Tried MSI and even though I use an MSI laptop, I haven't gotten it to work correctly and nearly as well as the ease in which Bandicam can function.

-k

#12 Nonsense

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

dxtory is awesome.

#13 Bogus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 487 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

Based on who makes it I'm gonna assume that MSI Afterburner is only an option if you're using an MSI graphics card?

#14 BigJim

• 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

View PostAlex Warden, on 07 April 2013 - 05:52 AM, said:

i use bandicam now, and its great not only for games :P

as for the sound recording: bandicam can record microphone and stereomix seperately into 2 different wave files, that´s nice for editing later, you dont have to extract them

+1. It's well worth it mate.

I began using Fraps, but have since moved on to Bandicam, as it's way better in 2 distinct ways.

# It takes way less of a hit upon my overall system while playing, a lose a few frames, instead of a good 20-30 like Fraps did.
This means I can now record at full-size, rather than the bitty-wee half-size I was forced to use with Fraps.

# The raw output files are way smaller, like apx 700mb for a match, instead of like 4gb for Fraps' output.

Just a couple of Q's; I'm using the full version, Bandi v1.7.5.166.

1) Can you elaborate a bit more on how you split your own Mic input from the overall audio stream? This would be helpful as sometimes I could do with bumping the levels a bit post-recording.

2) Secondly, I'm looking to create a project, where I'll be recording a single 8v8 match using Bandicam, and integrating multiple points of view, from other people recording the same match on their machines (using a mix of Bandi, Fraps, and MSI).
This way I hope to get a full match, but with real-time switches to other player's PoV.
(like the way a motor-race can swap to car-cams during the race and cut back to the main camera, all in realtime)

Therefore I'll be using Teamspeak's own .WAV recorder to actually record the comms to get a single, editable audio-stream of the comms, and I want bandicam to only record the game's audio, not the overall stero-mix which would include Teamspeak and any random computer-beeps, etc...
Are you aware exactly which setting to use to achive this?

Edited by BigJim, 07 April 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#15 Funkadelic Mayhem

• Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

razer game booster
It’s free
it frees up unneeded resources
unlimited recording (as long as you have the space)

Edited by Funkadelic Mayhem, 07 April 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#16 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Open Broadcaster Software (OBS): http://obsproject.com/

Edited by Zyllos, 07 April 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#17 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

View PostBigJim, on 07 April 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

+1. It's well worth it mate.

I began using Fraps, but have since moved on to Bandicam, as it's way better in 2 distinct ways.

# It takes way less of a hit upon my overall system while playing, a lose a few frames, instead of a good 20-30 like Fraps did.
This means I can now record at full-size, rather than the bitty-wee half-size I was forced to use with Fraps.

# The raw output files are way smaller, like apx 700mb for a match, instead of like 4gb for Fraps' output.

Just a couple of Q's; I'm using the full version, Bandi v1.7.5.166.

1) Can you elaborate a bit more on how you split your own Mic input from the overall audio stream? This would be helpful as sometimes I could do with bumping the levels a bit post-recording.

2) Secondly, I'm looking to create a project, where I'll be recording a single 8v8 match using Bandicam, and integrating multiple points of view, from other people recording the same match on their machines (using a mix of Bandi, Fraps, and MSI).
This way I hope to get a full match, but with real-time switches to other player's PoV.
(like the way a motor-race can swap to car-cams during the race and cut back to the main camera, all in realtime)

Therefore I'll be using Teamspeak's own .WAV recorder to actually record the comms to get a single, editable audio-stream of the comms, and I want bandicam to only record the game's audio, not the overall stero-mix which would include Teamspeak and any random computer-beeps, etc...
Are you aware exactly which setting to use to achive this?

1. to record seperate audio files you go to "video" tab, open "settings" (the left one in the recording box)... enable the first 2 checkboxes ("record secondary" and "save wav. file") ...then you set "primary audio device" or "win7 sound" as primary source, and "microfone" as secondary...

what it does is recording the wave mix IN the video file, and seperately the stereo mix and the microfone sound in 2 additional wave files (so basically you have 2 wavemixes, the one in the video itself and the one seperately recorded, plus one file with only your mic... )

2. sry, but i think its not possible to seperate teamspeak from the recording, since the wavemix contains of ALL sounds that are processed by the soundcard, excluding only external (microphone) sources... so it records the game, TS, if you have winamp running even that...thats a problem with all recording software, not limited tobandicam or other screen capture softwares... if there is a way, lemme know :P

Edited by Alex Warden, 07 April 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#18 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostBogus, on 07 April 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

Based on who makes it I'm gonna assume that MSI Afterburner is only an option if you're using an MSI graphics card?

You can use it with any graphics card.

Here is a video I recorded with it:

#19 Bogus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 487 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hm, interesting, might have to check it out. I don't make a lot of videos and when I do I use Fraps, but since Fraps kicks out .avi files it's a massive disk space hog. Of course the flip side of that is that you get lossless recording.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, has anyone got suggestions of what software to use for editing and generating video files? I played around with Adobe some years back but the video quality was utterly atrocious.

#20 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostBogus, on 07 April 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

At the risk of hijacking the thread, has anyone got suggestions of what software to use for editing and generating video files? I played around with Adobe some years back but the video quality was utterly atrocious.

there are quite alot video editing sw´s out there, depending howprofessional your work shoud be... easy and currently freeware (i think^^) is ulead video studio, has some nice features but i am not sure about win7 support... bestestes ever, but a bit complicated for a "newcomer" is sony vegas. to get a general feel for anything producing: magix. but theirproducts reach their limits pretty quick the more you get into it...

try what ever you find...as i said, there are just too many programs...

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users