Rear View Camera

16 replies to this topic

#1 Psyradis

Rookie

• Stone Cold
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

I would really like to hve a rear view camera. Just a small screen on teh console showing what is directly being me.

#2 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

I believe the Devs said it was something they are looking into. I wouldn't expect it anytime soon though.

#3 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Its on the to-do list. Until then, fully torso-twist to one side and then use your Left Ctrl (Free Look) to continue to look behind you. Not pretty but it works.

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Cry Engine 3 has problems when it comes to PiP, thus if we are ever going to see it, it would have to by made by Cry Tek which is in no short supply of CoD-esque FPSs that don't require that feature...

#5 Noonan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 153 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

Perhaps you could just use your mouse and look behind you? Works for me pretty consistently.

#6 Byk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

I wish they would have worked on this instead of third person.

#7 GODzillaGSPB

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

View PostPsyradis, on 07 April 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

I would really like to hve a rear view camera. Just a small screen on teh console showing what is directly being me.

I would like my mech to be stronger, tougher and faster, invisible and able to fly and see through walls.

But seriously, there is a simply reason why the game does not have it: So that you are forced to put a little effort into guarding your backside. Look around from time to time, even turn. Use different vision modes to find light mechs close to you. Watch your comrades backs, too.

Too difficult? Maybe, at the start, but you'll get better.

#8 Mongoose Trueborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostPsyradis, on 07 April 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

Picture in picture doesn't work well on this engine so we probably won't see that anytime soon.

#9 AnnoyingCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Locationcat planet for cats

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

NO! because i'm behind you...

#10 Aeolus Drift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostGODzillaGSPB, on 07 April 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

I would like my mech to be stronger, tougher and faster, invisible and able to fly and see through walls.

But seriously, there is a simply reason why the game does not have it: So that you are forced to put a little effort into guarding your backside. Look around from time to time, even turn. Use different vision modes to find light mechs close to you. Watch your comrades backs, too.

Too difficult? Maybe, at the start, but you'll get better.

You do realize that a lot of mechs in the MechWarrior/BattleTech universe were designed to be compatible with rear firing weapons, often by utilizing 1-2 medium lasers. Among such designs were the Atlas, the Dragon, the Centurion, and the Cataphract (particularly the 3D variant). the reason why PGI moved their rear firing lasers to the front was because they had no method of viewing the rear of the 'mech, so trying accurately aiming a weapon at your backside at a target behind you would be difficult, and assuming you have hit the little ****** wouldn't be very practical approach to combat.

#11 Hawkwings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

In lore, mechwarriors have a 360 degree field of view in their holographic viewscreens, which is compressed down to 180 degrees or so. Meaning that they do have a rearview camera - it's just their normal camera.

#12 GODzillaGSPB

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

View PostInterceptor12, on 07 April 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

You do realize that a lot of mechs in the MechWarrior/BattleTech universe were designed to be compatible with rear firing weapons, often by utilizing 1-2 medium lasers. Among such designs were the Atlas, the Dragon, the Centurion, and the Cataphract (particularly the 3D variant). the reason why PGI moved their rear firing lasers to the front was because they had no method of viewing the rear of the 'mech, so trying accurately aiming a weapon at your backside at a target behind you would be difficult, and assuming you have hit the little ****** wouldn't be very practical approach to combat.

What I also realize is that PGI had to also satisfy the light mech users and I bet they wouldn't be too eager to just scout and then go away. So that's why no mech can look behind or shoot behind his back, to give light and lighter mechs a fighting chance against heavy and assault, which are THE go to chassis in BattleTech lore. But in MWO, there is somerthing called balance and PGI at least has to try to achieve it.

#13 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

View PostMongoose Trueborn, on 07 April 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Picture in picture doesn't work well on this engine so we probably won't see that anytime soon.

ya this idea they should just scrap its not worth the trouble I know will come with it, better off putting a buzzer telling you yes that's your rear armour is being hit edit: bah changed my mind because of the following post, it IS the friendlies you have to worry about! lol

Edited by DCLXVI, 08 April 2013 - 01:43 AM.

#14 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

I'd really like to have a rear view camera. I'd not however use it to spot enemies getting behind me (that would be a secondary matter), but to avoid getting stuck on scenery or silly team mates crowding my rear whenever I crest a ridge.

Whenever I see any pug behind me, I'd already know that I'd never be able to successfully backpedal into cover.. avoiding to crest.

Edited by John MatriX82, 08 April 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#15 Karazyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

its not like its against the lore so im all for it, i meen in the lore you can see 360 degrees around you but we cant do that :P

on a side note as a centurion pilot please please please! allow us to bend a little i dont like it when jenners hug my legs and i cant see them to shoot em >.> atlas pilots you get what i mean right?

#16 Aeolus Drift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

View PostGODzillaGSPB, on 08 April 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

What I also realize is that PGI had to also satisfy the light mech users and I bet they wouldn't be too eager to just scout and then go away. So that's why no mech can look behind or shoot behind his back, to give light and lighter mechs a fighting chance against heavy and assault, which are THE go to chassis in BattleTech lore. But in MWO, there is somerthing called balance and PGI at least has to try to achieve it.

well yes and no. sure going behind a mech has slightly higher risks than before, but moving in front of the mech won't be as deadly a maneuver either. in addition those rear-firing lasers would be locked to the torso's rotation, so even if say an Atlas was equipped with rear firing lasers, they maybe more likely to ward off some rearward attacks from a medium like the centurion, but a light mech would probably outpace the atlas's twisting capabilities. besides firing rearward lasers would mean breaking concentration from your mech's front, which could lead to your front armor getting evaporated very quickly if your not in cover.

#17 Marcus Cvellus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Well, i dont mind 360 degree view compressed to 180. As long as assault and heavy mech turn and twist speed is nerfed to the ground.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users