Ask The Devs 35 - Answers!

234 replies to this topic

#181 Redoxin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

KinLuu: What is the rationale for hiding the players elo?
A: It’s not a statistic that players need access to.

What kind of answer is that? Of course we dont "need" it. We also dont "need" access to any other statistic. We also dont "need" to play this game.
The issue is many of us want to know it. So I am still wondering, what is the reason for denying it to us? Its like we are small children that can not be trusted with having such highly precarious information. Its ridiculous.

#182 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

Asaru: Will we be seeing the return soon of the ability to drop in premade groups of various sizes and have pugs fill out the remainder of the team like it was in closed beta? Or has there been a conscious decision to not bring this back at all?
A: This is conscious to help balance out matches. The max team size in a public match is 4 and we continue to improve the matchmaker to create a more balanced experience. When 12 v 12 rolls out, 8 player teams will be replaced by 12 player teams.

This is crap.

If I want to play Wold of Tanks, I would have just downloaded that stupid game.

So our options with 12 people are going to 1-4 and 12.

So tell me, how many people actually get an 8 man going at before 9am PST? I'll tell you not bloody many every time I have tried...

failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match failed to find match

Edited by Yokaiko, 09 April 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#183 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Am I misinterpreting his statement. Will all maps be made into 12 v 12? River City, Frozen City and Forest Colony are cramped enough as is.

#184 Destroyer69

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Dev team,

When can we expect a real assault mode? No captures allowed. We need a mode that is fighting only .. We already have capture mode.

Mechwarrior was originally clans going to the surface to fight, lets have a mode like that again.

Thanks for your time.

Destroyer69

#185 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 08 April 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Viper69: Why the 180 on the 3rd person view topic? You stated to us last year you were not going that route but decided to go there any way. Why the change and were you ultimately planning to do it anyway from the start and were not straight with us from jump street?
A: At the outset we had no intention to support 3rd Person. However as with all design choices, it became clear we were limiting our audience and needed to explore ways to retain the core experience, while making the game more accessible.

Appreciate the answer and thank you for taking the time to do so.

#186 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostEitherWay, on 08 April 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

After launch? This is not what I wanted to hear.

we need to find out exactly wtf they have planned for this.. In pgi talk this means at least .................SEVEN months more of tbh nonsense battle . Pffth.. mech combat without collisions is worse than a racing game without drafting.. its insane..

Unless they have the most amazing set of features wip for collisions, im actually annoyed..
About as annoyed as brian seems while providing his uber terse answers.

Its like Im listening to my wife b i t ch on her very bad days..

tbh.. there was almost nothing good in that whole post.

#187 Critical Fumble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 810 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 09 April 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Am I misinterpreting his statement. Will all maps be made into 12 v 12? River City, Frozen City and Forest Colony are cramped enough as is.

Or it might be hilarious, ever been on a shooter server where they bring the player cap up to 150% or more of the designers' intent? Comedy gold, I tell you. Of course. . . collisions :ph34r:

#188 Krondor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

meh.. seems like the same non-commital, "maybe", "we're looking at it", "it's a possibility", "no details yet" BS PGI's been giving since CB. Not impressed.

Also love the BS about looking at community trends and then tweaking or fixing. We see how well that went over with ECM.

#189 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

Indeed since I have never seen anyone that liked ECM outside of a few forum trolls.

We were dealing with it just secure in the knowledge that something that ludicrous would be nerfed. There we go thinking again.

#190 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

CCQ 3: Why is Machine Gun damage so low?
A: Partly due to the nature of how MGs work in the TT rules, partially due to how we chose to make it useful. When equipping a MG, keep in mind that it is not meant to burn through armor but is very useful for tearing up internals (crits). Bumping MG damage will turn it into a laser that can be kept on with no heat penalty until it runs out of ammo. Now imagine the devastating effect that a 6 MG spider could do to the back of an Atlas! We are still investigating balance of the MG but don’t expect any significant increase in damage.

Oh yeah, a spider with the equivalent of 6 small lasers, with jump jets, that would just be crazy. It would be almost as crazy as a Jenner with 6 small lasers, jump jets and 68% cooling effiency or more. So... good point, Bryan. :ph34r:

You say that you're interested in trends rather than specific discussion. Has anyone at PGI noticed a trend in player feedback regarding the MG? I have. I'm just waiting for the beta testers to have a say in the matter.

#191 AlexEss

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Not to be that guy... But... I was right

CMGrendel: In ask the devs 33 answers you confirmed you will need 2 accounts to play on 2 different regional servers. Why not a global account you can use to log in on every server?
A: Certain regional partners may require this.

Apart form this it sounds like we have a lot to look forward too. I am very optimistic.

#192 Booran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to answer my question, I wasn't sure it would be noticed in the noise of all the other (more interesting) inquiries.
And a positive answer to boot :(

#193 Spirit of the Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 455 posts
  • LocationEarth... I think. (Hey, you don't know if you're in the matrix either, do you?)

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Yay, my question was answered.
Too bad it was a question I purposely made as ambiguous as possible so they'd be more likely to pick it.

Oh well, at least it was answered.

#194 Esplodin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 494 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostKoniving, on 08 April 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

I should also mention that speed is not everything. A fast Spider can't aim, can't focus its fire, can't do anything without stopping first.

Speed is everything, stopping is death. You sir have no clue about driving a light based on this bit of foolishness, and have wasted forum space with hand waving and walls of text trying to theory-craft a use for machine guns.

Just a few recent screenies in the spoiler. Max engine w/ speed tweak, 2 MPL, 1ML - and full throttle. Notice they are all on the 5D - the only spider that have any kind of useful alpha/DPS. If MG were worth a spit in any capacity, the chassis variant below would be a 5K hands flipping down. However, since I occasionally pug and half the team that can't even manage to breach the other teams armor, MG are a liability to me AND my team. Given the current state, I can't think of any reason why I'd load them over using that tonnage for a LPL or ERLL.

Spoiler

TL;DR: Seems like you are another scared heavy/assault pilot that does not want more useful light mechs by passing off a clown horn as a clarinet.

#195 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostEsplodin, on 09 April 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Speed is everything, stopping is death. You sir have no clue about driving a light based on this bit of foolishness, and have wasted forum space with hand waving and walls of text trying to theory-craft a use for machine guns.

Just a few recent screenies in the spoiler. Max engine w/ speed tweak, 2 MPL, 1ML - and full throttle. Notice they are all on the 5D - the only spider that have any kind of useful alpha/DPS. If MG were worth a spit in any capacity, the chassis variant below would be a 5K hands flipping down. However, since I occasionally pug and half the team that can't even manage to breach the other teams armor, MG are a liability to me AND my team. Given the current state, I can't think of any reason why I'd load them over using that tonnage for a LPL or ERLL.

Spoiler

TL;DR: Seems like you are another scared heavy/assault pilot that does not want more useful light mechs by passing off a clown horn as a clarinet.

You seem a little mistaken. Speed helps, but other than exploiting poor netcode, it is not everything. It just helps you survive.

I, on the other hand, thrive on slower builds.

Frying Spiders as a 70 kph Raven 4x. No missiles. This slow Raven even has an XL in every vid.
http://www.youtube.c...XKRP4Czg#t=292s

Flamer Commando trolls mechs. Spends a lot of time walking slow.

Jenner with flamers and std engine. (During time of knockdowns!)

Jenner kills two Atlas with flamers and std engine. (One was afk, the other was not. During time of knockdowns!)

Raven 3-L takes multiple Gauss Rifles to the face while stationary, receives no damage.

Pack of Raven 3-Ls.

--------------------------------

This is what happens to fast mechs.

And this is what it'll be very soon.

At the time they were slow. But just you wait. We'll see 3-L's running into each other and I'll be more than happy to step on you as I walk by.

#196 Aesthir

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

CCQ 3: Why is Machine Gun damage so low?
A: Partly due to the nature of how MGs work in the TT rules, partially due to how we chose to make it useful. When equipping a MG, keep in mind that it is not meant to burn through armor but is very useful for tearing up internals (crits). Bumping MG damage will turn it into a laser that can be kept on with no heat penalty until it runs out of ammo. Now imagine the devastating effect that a 6 MG spider could do to the back of an Atlas! We are still investigating balance of the MG but don’t expect any significant increase in damage.

This answer doesn't make a lot of sense.

Firstly, while I completely understand the idea of niche weapons, having a weapon that does better against unarmored targets would only make sense if all the other weapons did worse when the armor was gone. The general scenario goes that you would use your weapons to strip the armor and then switch to the machine gun for the kill. But why would you switch? Even against unarmored sections, the MG barely does barely more damage than a small laser and only has a slightly better chance of causing a critical hit. Combine that with a pitiful effective range and I can't see why anyone would choose to do that rather than just continuing to blast away with their normal weapons.

Saying that "bumping MG damage will turn it into a no-heat laser that can be kept on until it runs out of ammo" as a reason not to do something also doesn't make sense. That's the entire point of ballistic weapons. You could also say that an AC5 is like a medium laser with better range and more crit slots that you can keep shooting until the ammo runs out. That's how weapons in Mechwarrior work: they do damage, and have some drawback. Lasers generate heat, Ballistics are huge and have ammo, Missles have ammo and shoot in clusters.

As for your "6MG Spider", an entirely fictitious mech since the largest number of ballistics that can be mounted on any Spider chassis is 4, generally what people are asking for is for Machine Gun damage to be brought up to the level of the Small Laser i.e. the energy weapon of similar weight class and range. How can you be worried about a 6MG light shredding an Atlas when you could just as easily make a 6 Small Laser Jenner? In fact, there are 8 Light Mech variants capable of mounting 3 or more Small Lasers. By your logic, all of these mechs are vastly overpowered, especially considering that they could easily mount *gasp* Medium Lasers instead.

What it comes down to is you're telling us that MG's work. We're telling you that they don't. We're overwhelmingly of the opinion that machine guns are a waste of hardpoints and tonnage. This is the whole point of having beta testers: to find out what works and what doesn't.

Yes, I get that the "MG is a crit weapon, don't expect balance" is the official line. The problem is that line Doesn't. Make. Sense. So people are going to keep talking about it and keep asking until one of two things happen: 1) you give a reason that DOES make sense or 2) Machine Guns get changed to be a viable weapon that someone would actually want to mount and use.

#197 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 08 April 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

That t hey have 10 hit points is just consistent with all the other items. That the explosion chance is only 10 %... less so. But hey, I am fine with it, I suspect that if they made them more explosive, people would just stop using missiles and ballistics.

The Table Top game had way too many random, unpredictable deaths by through armour criticals and ammo hits. This might work for some people in a table top game, but I don't think it will work in a Mechwarrior title.

Kinda feels like it.

They love their ECM. They love their critical hit system. The Machine Gun being this "ultra-cool" crit-seeker is naturally an idea to fall in love with, even if it's impractical/irrelevant in actual play.

See, that is a problem.

10 HP is not consistent with the TT.

The reason why is because a single slot item is MUCH harder to kill than a 3 slot item with 10 HP. Where on the TT, a 1 slot item is not that hard to get compared to the 3 slot item.

This has to do with the fact that killing an item makes other items easier to destroy. But if items are already extremely hard to kill, especially with critical seekers, then it makes critical seekers pointless.

It's also dirt in the face when these heavy guns also get the 10% chance to kill ammo bins for destroying the section. Your penalized for critical seeking instead of just blowing up a section, which is MUCH easier, and get rewarded with a 10% chance to destroy ammo.

Edited by Zyllos, 09 April 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#198 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostAesthir, on 09 April 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

This answer doesn't make a lot of sense.

Take 4 MGs. Go into testing grounds. Find an Atlas. Tear off its right torso armor. Spray into the right torso with MGs only for 3 seconds. See AC-20 destroyed. Tear off any other weapon-containing limb. Spray MG. Watch weapons be destroyed without having to go all the way through the body part.

Think about the future use of this.

Ideally, you'd use this mechanic to destroy things like actuators (prevents their arms from twisting), damage gyros (makes the mech easier to knock over), destroy the engine (it only has 3 health), quickly destroy gauss rifles (it has 1 health, MGs firing will destroy it in no more than 2 seconds in the worst case scenario). The current purpose of the MG is to blow up the ammo on LRM, SRM, and Ballistic boats. Tearing off the armor of a leg and blasting into it should just about guarantee a kill if the ammo explodes as all the damage goes to center torso. But now we have a problem.

Bryan Ekman just explained that ammo has a 10% chance of exploding when destroyed. That isn't so bad but that makes the MG's job harder. Worse... 1 ton of ammo has 10 health. In comparison a cockpit without armor has 9 health. Volatile ammunition has more health than a cockpit? Isn't ammo more likely to explode? I mean I realize there's a concern with the fleshy pilot, but still. I would think ammo is a bit less stable than that. Or maybe that missiles would be more likely to explode? I don't know.

But back to the point. MGs do up to 0.12 damage on internal components with dice roll chances of 0.04, 0.08, and 0.12 per bullet. Note you pump out about 10 bullets per second according to smurfy. At 50 bullets or "5 seconds with one MG" according to Smurfy which takes its data from the game... You'd deal between 2 and 6 damage to internal components. At 8 seconds for one gun or 80 bullets you'd deal between 3.2 and 9.6 damage. So that's 8 seconds that you have to concentrate your fire to destroy an unarmored cockpit. But you'd have to go to 90 bullets to destroy 1 ton of ammo. Problem is even if you could hold your fire on target, that damage gets spread among the heatsinks, the weapons, the "padding" of useless gauss ammo to protect their important stuff, so it takes even longer!

Meanwhile the engine which won't have much to 'pad' and protect them would only take a minimum of 25 MG bullets and a maximum of 75 MG bullets to destroy it. This will create a huge balance concern and lots of outcries with the current "WEAK" MGs being "Overpowered" once engine crits come online. We need the ammo health taken down a few notches.

Gauss has 1 health.
AC-20 has a maximum possibility of 3.6 health (assuming every single bullet triple crits from our tests, which we know they don't).
Engine which is the Most important piece of a mech has 3 health but is not enabled to be destroyed by crits just yet.
Heatsinks have 1 to 3 health.
Gyros and actuators have ? health.
But all ammo has 10 health?

That's why MGs feel useless with Bryan's plan for them. The main goal for getting damage is to hammer in and blow up ammo. But it's health is so strong we might as well use MGs to try and tear through armor instead.

I'm the Jagermech. 4 flamers, 2 MGs, 2 AC-10s to strip armor.
Posted Image

Honestly my quest to blow up ammo has been less than efficient, so I've found other uses for the MGs until they enable engine crits. Once they do I'll put them in something smaller than a medium (like my Trollbuchet.) Til then, you'll mainly see MGs in my Atlas and my Jager.

This Atlas is covered in white yogurt. Damage markers not properly loading. And here, he's died. His triple SRM-6 and AC-20 with Large Lasers didn't save him. Strangely though he never got to fire his missiles since they were so rapidly destroyed after the armor was stripped off. Hm... Surely it had nothing to do with the MGs.
Posted Image
-----------------
Me and Fudop had a long debate about MGs earlier. We both had our solutions.
  • His/hers would make it useful all the time against armor and structure with a higher damage rating but make it useless against destroying internals (by removing the critical space damaging setup).
  • Mine would keep the Dev's system, but fix what makes it feel weak, as well as simultaneously fixing flamers and LB-10s as well. While it'd still be weak to useless against armor, once you go through the armor your damage would increase exponentially especially against LRM boats and other ballistic nuts like AC-20 nutbags.
The debate started around this point of the thread (Click here) if you'd care to read. But please, either like or move on to the next response. I'm not debating the same point over again. I'd like to play the game some more. Don't quote. Not looking to be drawn back here for that debate.

-----------------

Speaking of yogurt from the screenshots. Lordred took this shot of me when the yogurt actually loaded as damage decals.

Personally I think PGI is doing good so far, but we need to fix these bugs. I always see yogurt. I want to see damage!

Posted Image

Edited by Koniving, 09 April 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#199 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostThontor, on 09 April 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

The MG does insane damage against items once the armor is gone.

Some facts about crits and weapons:
* A regular weapon has a 42% chance of scoring a crit (25% single crit, 14% double crit, 3% triple crit). This goes for every weapon in the game except the "crit weapons".
* The "crit weapons", e.g. the MG, has a 67% chance of scoring a crit (39% single crit, 22% double crit, 6% triple crit).
* The MG has a huge crit damage modifier; 12.5. This means a single crit does 0.04 x 12.5 = 0.5 damage. A double crit does 1 damage, and a triple crit 1.5 damage.
* If you do the math, it works out to an average DPS of 5.281 against internal components (not internal structure), so a single MG would need 2 seconds to destroy a regular 10-health internal component (for argument's sake let's just have one component in the section - if there's more, crits are randomly distributed and things get worse for the MG).

So that's the MG: 0.4 DPS vs armour and internal structure, 5.281 DPS vs internal components, and 25% increased crit chance compared to other weapons.

Against internal components, the MG looks quite powerful. But please read on.

Now take any non-missile weapon but the crit weapons, the Small Laser, or the AC/2. They all have a damage of 5 or greater, meaning they have a 17% chance of destroying a solitary internal component instantly (14% chance of a double crit for 10+ damage plus 3% chance for triple crit for 15+ damage).

The Small Laser cannot destroy an internal component in a single hit, it will need at least two hits (3 seconds). It does, on the other hand, do meaningful damage to internal structure, which is an advantage the MG lacks.

The AC/2 also needs a few hits, but it fires twice per second so in the end it'll also remove an internal component rather quickly. If none of its projectiles crit, it takes 2.5 seconds for it to do 10 damage. With a 42% chance to crit, it's unlikely to need that long.

Any weapon that does 10 or more damage has a 42% chance to instantly destroy an internal component, since any crit is enough to destroy the component.

All the weapons except the MG also do their listed damage against armour and internal structure, meaning a non-crit isn't a waste of time - it damages internal structure instead and can remove a whole bunch of internal components in one fell swoop by destroying the section outright.

All of this presupposes ideal circumstances with target and firer stationary, at short range, and that the weapons hit the same armour-stripped section and component with every projectile. In match play, this is unlikely to be the case.

So really, it's quite debatable whether the crit buff makes the MG worth taking, as just about any other weapon destroys internal components just as quickly - or even quicker. Meanwhile, the MG remains useless against armoured targets, which no other weapon is.

Edited by stjobe, 09 April 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#200 Esplodin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 494 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 April 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

You seem a little mistaken. Speed helps, but other than exploiting poor netcode, it is not everything. It just helps you survive.

I, on the other hand, thrive on slower builds.

HSR fixees this for beams. People still suck at aiming. HSR for ballistics suppposedly in this next patch. People will still suck at aiming. There is no exploit, and your slower builds means you drive a heavy or assault. Nailed it in one go.

Snip useless e-peen waiving

Your idea of speed is everything is based on this exploit.

Raven 3-L takes multiple Gauss Rifles to the face while stationary, receives no damage.

Strawman fallicy. I pilot Spider, but reading comprehension and rational thought are aparently not your strong suit.

This is what happens to fast mechs.

And this is what it'll be very soon.

At the time they were slow. But just you wait. We'll see 3-L's running into each other and I'll be more than happy to step on you as I walk by.

Assault troll. I Nailed it, as I said, first go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users