Team Elo?

6 replies to this topic

#1 GODzillaGSPB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

After getting my *** handed to me in one wipe after the other I've come to the conclusion that the game does not use any kind of ELO once you put a team together.

When we play each own our own we are successfull more often than when we play as a team. Loss after loss left my teammates frustrated, some (me included) will PUG more often from now on because everything else is so damn frustrating.

So...it's it true? Anything known? Elo + team = not working anymore?

BTW: Lights. Lights everywhere. At least three in every match. It adds to the frustration. A bit more and I will pause. Would be my first, there was never so much frustration before.

Is it so hard to ask for some simple balance features? Like limiting to 2 lights and 2 assaults per match? Could be applied to teams, too so that they simply cannot drop with 4 lights or 4 assaults.

#2 Zylo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

I don't see any problems with a group dropping as 4 lights or 4 assaults as long as weight class matching gives the both teams the same number of lights or assaults. This doesn't seem to work very often with current matchmaking.

#3 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

I am really looking forward to Elo tuning, as long as it isn't being done by the guy who thinks machine guns are useful.

#4 GODzillaGSPB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:00 AM

After a nights sleep I think this is just a natural development, the community reacting to how the game is currently balanced and then looking for the most efficient way to win. I base this on three observations:

- the decline of LRMs as a potential harm to swarming lights on open field
- the non-stop popularity of the Jagermech as a mech that is generally defenseless against lights
- the growing use of xl-engines as part of the Jagermech usage
- friends who where all-Assault before now switching to Lights, having much more success

So, do I blame the players? Certainly not. I'd like easier wins and more success, too. Unfortunately I'm trapped in my silly believe this game should at least resemble BattleTech and MechWarrior as I know it from the books. And I feel a bit let-down that the game is evolving farther and farther away from that.

But it seems I'm in the majority with that. Who am I trying to fight against the hive-mind of the majority of players?

I will give it time. I will be patient. But at some point in the future, if development goes on like this, I will give up on it and leave it to the "give me win" kids.

Edited by GODzillaGSPB, 09 April 2013 - 01:02 AM.

#5 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

Agree with GODzillaGSPB on both his posts above.

I find I getting way better matchmaking when I play alone. Or when I play with groups of 4 running gimped coordinated builds (but then it might be that gimped groups pawn).

Like 2 Cicadas, 2 ravens with 1 flamer each, etc etc. (Seriously 1 light with a flamer is stupid, 4 fast mechs running around you with flamers is super annoying and is a constant blind)

Or all assault with complimentary weapons.. (Like 6LL x 4 Stalkers all shooting same target in a peek a boo situation)

Playing 2 man teams or a well rounded team of 3 or 4 puts us in some really bad teams with new, bad or lone wolf "hang back at all cost" players.

Conclusion, there is something way way way wrong with ELO team matchmaking. Is that why they keep on having contests promoting individual play???

Edited by Gaden Phoenix, 09 April 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#6 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationIn the "cockpit".

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

As far as I can tell ELO doesn't take mech tonnage into account at all on solo, 4 man, or 8 man. If you see someone take anything other than an Atlas DDC they are either grinding or just playing around.

#7 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostGODzillaGSPB, on 08 April 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

After getting my *** handed to me in one wipe after the other I've come to the conclusion that the game does not use any kind of ELO once you put a team together.

When we play each own our own we are successfull more often than when we play as a team. Loss after loss left my teammates frustrated, some (me included) will PUG more often from now on because everything else is so damn frustrating.

I don't usually have a problem when playing a fourman.

It seems that at low low and average elo levels people tend to swarm all over the place. Now when playing solo you tend to pay more attention to what the team is doing. When in a four-man you group up and kinda ignore the other players. They might follow but not really get into the fight. On the other-hand, the four of you do attract the bulk of the enemy team by being grouped up. My own fourman games tend to be allot easier when we're following the pugs instead of trying to lead them.

Are you trying to coordinate the pugs on your team? Somewhat related to following the pugs instead of the other way around.

Are you coordinating mechs and play styles? A group with a scout, assault and sniper doesn't tend to work very well because they have trouble hitting the same targets. They're not usually in the right position to do so. But that is the thing you need to do when playing together. Playing a fourman becomes allot easier when everybody has a similar mech. A coordinated pack of mediums or heavies can be devastating.

Edited by Hauser, 09 April 2013 - 05:08 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users