#22 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostDCM Zeus, on 09 April 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

Just say NO!

Playing MWO on a console is like master-bating with sand paper. Why would you torture yourself like that?

I was thinking more along the lines of a cheese grater

#23 shihku7

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostNik Van Rhijn, on 09 April 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

More to the point Microsoft refused them permission for consoles. It's always been a PC only game since the "reboot", if you read the intro dev post about the game, wherever it is these days.

I know it's unreliable, but Wikipedia says that Microsoft released the Mechwarrior license to PGI, so it's a free beast now. Is that not true?

#24 Zeus X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 09 April 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a cheese grater

We could go even further and say belt grinder.

Consoles are for people who can't figure out how to type on a computer.

#25 DeathofSelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 655 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostDCM Zeus, on 09 April 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

acetylene torch

#26 shihku7

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostBurnsidhe, on 09 April 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

No. Consoles have severe problems when it comes to control schema. Mechwarrior Online does not deserve to be ##8*#$@^ over for the sake of console players.

Add to that the incredible prices that Sony charges developers to make games for the Playstation, and the prices they charge to allow the release of patches on game consoles, and developing for the PS4 becomes a very clear and obvious losing proposition for *any* MMO.

PGI would *lose* money developing for the PS4.

DC Universe Online and Dust 514 are both free to play and on the PS3. So there must be some advantage to putting an online game on the PSN. Dust 514 gets lots of updates too. It's kind of a crappy game IMO, but it has a remarkably high number of people playing it, I think. Just goes to show how even crappy, but free games on the PSN can become popular.

#27 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

View Postshihku7, on 09 April 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

I know it's unreliable, but Wikipedia says that Microsoft released the Mechwarrior license to PGI, so it's a free beast now. Is that not true?

No, they have permission to USE the IP. They don't OWN it. And if Microsux wants a console version of MWO, expect to see it on Xbox.

#28 shihku7

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostDCM Zeus, on 09 April 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

Do you guys care more about PC gaming as a hobby or Mechwarrior Online's success? I care more about MWO.

#29 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

View Postshihku7, on 09 April 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

I think PGI is struggling with income so that's why they are trying to come up with all sorts of crazy ways to make money. Plus with low income they can't develop the game as fast as they would like.

If they have a PS4 user base, I think it's more likely they will have more income. The game will improve for it.

After seeing pink mechs all over the place for $30 a pop I'm not so sure they really are that hard pressed for cash. My concern is that they're really struggling to keep the game in a decent running shape as it is on just PC, to put resources into another platform can only make it even harder for them to maintain the game on PC.

#30 Akdar

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts

There's no way. I'm sure if you ask them, they'll say not in a million years.

*Fast forward to 3rdPerson being implemented*
PGI "We have decided that due to popular request, we are going to port this to the PS4. DO NOT have a discussion on if this is a good idea. This IS going to happen. Be part of the team and tell us HOW we can implement this."

#31 Zeus X

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

View Postshihku7, on 09 April 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Do you guys care more about PC gaming as a hobby or Mechwarrior Online's success? I care more about MWO.

MWO is doing fine on the PC, putting it on a stupid box will not help PGI.

Consoles are for people who can't type on a keyboard and can't handle real gaming equipment, AKA Mouse and Keyboard.

Top it all off, all consoles currently are 7 years behind on tech, the new Xbox720 and PS4 on release will be already 2 to 3 years behind on tech, why they hell would I want to play on inferior hardware?

Edited by DCM Zeus, 09 April 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#32 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

I have 99 pieces of entertainment in my house

But a console ain't one of them.

#33 xDeityx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

It's almost as if I'm watching the second rebirth of MechAssault.

PGI where are our powerups for killing enemies? How about some ammo calldowns? What about third person view? Oh wait that one is really happening. =/

#34 shihku7

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

View Postarmyof1, on 09 April 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

After seeing pink mechs all over the place for $30 a pop I'm not so sure they really are that hard pressed for cash. My concern is that they're really struggling to keep the game in a decent running shape as it is on just PC, to put resources into another platform can only make it even harder for them to maintain the game on PC.

The PS4 is just a PC. I think it would be easier to develop MWO on the PS4 than for PC, because the PC gaming market is so complicated. You have NVIDIA vs ATI, Intel vs AMD, then thousands of different PC configurations. Different RAM counts, CPU speeds, etc.

With the PS4, PGI can just focus on that one configuration.

#35 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

I don't care either way. but, Microsoft might.

#36 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

PS(X) and XBOX are most assuredly NOT a PC, they are light years behind in tech.

#37 Zeus X

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

View Postshihku7, on 09 April 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

The PS4 is just a PC. I think it would be easier to develop MWO on the PS4 than for PC, because the PC gaming market is so complicated. You have NVIDIA vs ATI, Intel vs AMD, then thousands of different PC configurations. Different RAM counts, CPU speeds, etc.

With the PS4, PGI can just focus on that one configuration.

It won't ever happen!

Just say NO! to consoles.

#38 shihku7

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostDCM Zeus, on 09 April 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

MWO is doing fine on the PC, putting it on a stupid box will not help PGI.

Consoles are for people who can't type on a keyboard and can't handle real gaming equipment, AKA Mouse and Keyboard.

Top it all off, all consoles currently are 7 years behind on tech, the new Xbox720 and PS4 on release will be already 2 to 3 years behind on tech, why they hell would I want to play on inferior hardware?

The PS3 and 360, combined, have shipped 140 million consoles. That's a lot of hardware, ancient and inferior as it is.

When the PS4 comes out it will be behind PC gaming technology, of course. But think about how many people will actually be owning and using that PS4 technology versus the cutting-edge PC gaming technology you're talking about.

#39 DeathofSelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 655 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

View Postshihku7, on 09 April 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

If you cared about Mechwarrior and this game, there is no way you should want to see it on a console. Games made for consoles are dumbed way down.

Just look at what id did with RAGE. That game had so much potential, and yet sucked so hard

#40 l4Dl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Would love to see this on the PS4.

The dev team would actually need to "optimize" the game. The excuse of "upgrade your PC" just wouldn't work.

I'am all for it, be a laugh to see them try and get 60fps on anything but a $2000 PC.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users