44 replies to this topic

#21 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:37 AM

I would love to pilot a pirate mech. Maybe there could be some option to have your avatar beat the crap out of failing monitors and the like inside the cockpit. Maybe even spontaneous fires.

"Kiiyor, LRMs on Alpha"
"Can't, my dude's on fire agai - whoop, there we are, he got it out."

#22 Ewigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:38 AM

Posted Image

#23 Corwin Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChateau, Clan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

View PostDerSpecht, on 11 April 2013 - 01:21 AM, said:

It all depends on the point of view.

Obviously his point of view was of the Great Houses.

The devs have announced MC Huds. They will replace your barely functional current HUDs with new tech HUDS that never bug.

Players will be able to spend 30K GXP instead of MC for each mech they wish to upgrade so it won't be Pay to Win.

#24 DerSpecht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:29 AM

View PostCorwin Vickers, on 11 April 2013 - 03:39 AM, said:

Obviously his point of view was of the Great Houses.

Then he should reread the books from the very beginning :ph34r:

#25 Siliconwolf

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostDerSpecht, on 11 April 2013 - 01:21 AM, said:

The library found by the gray death was not the only one. On terra the order had already gathered knowledge and hat facilities to produce and maintain a huge lostech force.
New mech designs like the wolfhound and the zeus were introduced and technology was on its way before the clan invasion due to the davion-steiner alliance.
The clans had lostech and were able to reproduce it. So basically the never lost it but manufactured and improved allt hat stuff in their absence to the IS.

It all depends on the point of view.

Well yeah, Comstar and the Clans didn't lose anything and there was at least one full core discovered and distributed after the helm one. Among the Great Houses and especially the Periphery is where the most lostech was. I just didn't want to be posting up a novel. Just enough to get my thought across. :-P

#26 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostSiliconwolf, on 11 April 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

It's silly, not stupid. I'm pretty certain no one thought I was seriously 'defending bugs', except for you apparently. Go troll elsewhere please..

Really hate to break news to you like this, but "silly" and "stupid" are synonyms:

silly [sil-ee] adjective, sillier, silliest, noun, plural sillies.

adjective
1. weak-minded or lacking good sense; stupid or foolish: a silly writer.

#27 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

They are not bugs, they are feature. And you will like them. @_@

#28 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostRat of the Legion Vega, on 11 April 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

Some of you people need to research your own history, that is to say the history of western civilization, and the fact that many Greek/Roman technologies and advancements were forgotten for hundreds of years and many more great documents would have been lost if not for the efforts of the monks of the period (aka Comstar in the Battletech future). Would be even harder to preserve highly complex digital and manufacturing knowhow in a future plagued by constant electricity blackouts, worlds contaminated by nuclear fallout etc.

Contrary to the great myth of continuous upward human "progress" over time, civilization's development has been one of rocky starts, backslides, dips, valleys and generally great suffering all around, especially before we lucked out and discovered the great oil bonanza of the 20th century which we are now rapidly exhausting with no viable replacement in sight and a completely trashed natural environment to boot.

Mechwarrior's vision of a future dark age is extremely plausible.... in fact I suspect we'll be suffering a new dark age long before then, probably in some of our own lifetimes.

They didn't call it the Dark Ages because it was hard to see.

#29 Siliconwolf

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostIceSerpent, on 11 April 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Really hate to break news to you like this, but "silly" and "stupid" are synonyms:

silly [sil-ee] adjective, sillier, silliest, noun, plural sillies.

adjective
1. weak-minded or lacking good sense; stupid or foolish: a silly writer.

Yes, but in actual usage 'stupid' is more negative. Silly is more associated with childish behavior, while stupid is equated with a lack of intelligence. I would say that my post was somewhat childish, but I found it an amusing thought and wanted to share. I would also say that your posted reply is also childish. So we're both being silly.

Edited by Siliconwolf, 11 April 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#30 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

To the point of finding the LosTech and reverse engineering it, that was never the issue. Take today, we have just passed 1 billion cars (not counting trucks here) on the roads across the globe. Let's say some crazy thing happened planet wide to knock out 70% of that 1 Billion due to even 1 component going bad and needs to be replaced to fix.

Also lost was the knowledge(some propriety computer database failed) along with the ability to manufacture, large scale, those components.

So getting back the knowledge would be great but you still have no way to replace the required 700 million units and also have them installed globally, to get those cars back into full service.

Same for the IS and the Helm Core info. Great stuff. To bad all the factory planets aren't owned by use any more.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MaddMaxx, 11 April 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#31 Maliconus

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationNorthwestern U.S.A.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostHotaru Tomoe, on 11 April 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

... That's stupid OP. Reaching for ideas to defend bugs is bad and you should feel bad.

This thread make me "Feel Bad" for him....

#32 ThinkTank

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 396 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Postroguetrdr, on 10 April 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

Possibly the stupidest thing I've yet seen on here

Nope, sorry.

#33 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

View PostSiliconwolf, on 11 April 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Yes, but in actual usage 'stupid' is more negative. Silly is more associated with childish behavior, while stupid is equated with a lack of intelligence. I would say that my post was somewhat childish, but I found it an amusing thought and wanted to share. I would also say that your posted reply is also childish. So we're both being silly.

If you are trying to say that childish behavior is not equated with lack of intelligence, please elaborate on your reasoning. :)

#34 Twisted Power

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

I thought this was another ECM joke thread before I clicked the link.

#35 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostRedDragon, on 10 April 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

Although one shouldn't put too much "realistic" thought into it, I guess the idea of lostech isn't that far fetched.
If you put it in the right perspective, it makes a lot more sense. The era during which the technology got lost is the era of the first 3 Succession Wars (2786–3025). An era of IS-wide conflicts with only few years in between. During this wars, technology-centers and factories were main targets for all kind of weapons, even ABC-weapons. Imagine a world-wide war today during which someone blows up Lockheed Martin in the US with a nuclear weapon. Sure, there will still be people who know how to build F-35s etc., but because there is a global war raging, you don't put all of your resources into building a new plant. You will see to it that the still functional weapons are kept maintained and the cheapest planes and tanks mass-produced (we saw that in WW2: In a war of attrition, quality (Germany) must surrender to quantity (US, Russia) in the long term.
Add to this the fact that 1) The Succession Wars where conflicts over hundreds of planets – you don't simply rebuild a plant that was destroyed on a far-off planet that now is under enemy occupation or cut off from interstellar communication. And 2) there is the power of Comstar, which actively worked to prevent any technological rediscovery by the Successor States.
When you look at it, there are in fact precious few years between the single great wars, and for such a short time span, the rediscovery came quite quickly despite the circumstances (and even in this time there always were some armed conflicts in each greater House).
So I guess it's much more plausible (or at least can be) than people make it sound.

Not being a real scholar of BT lore, i have to ask. Why did Comstar actively try to stop the reclamation of old technology? It wasn't to keep things like nukes out of everyone's hands, because they had that. It wasn't so they could take over themselves- they had superior technology for a long time and did nothing with it. What really was the point in keeping XL engines and Endo-steel lostech?

#36 BLUPRNT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 616 posts
  • LocationLake Something or Other, WA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Nice OP. I like the positive spirit you put on what others have made negative. As a mechanic and a handyman of many traits I can't really think of one thing that man can create that doesn't go wonky once in a while.

Like another said, use the force and trust your feelings.

Although I believe a few of my team mates felt it more than I did.

Thankfuly its just a game and no one will be coming to your home to collect your house and first born to cover the funeral costs and plaque because you lost your mech in the match before it was over.

#37 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostDavers, on 11 April 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Not being a real scholar of BT lore, i have to ask. Why did Comstar actively try to stop the reclamation of old technology? It wasn't to keep things like nukes out of everyone's hands, because they had that. It wasn't so they could take over themselves- they had superior technology for a long time and did nothing with it. What really was the point in keeping XL engines and Endo-steel lostech?

They wanted to be the shining light to pull the galaxy from darkness.

#38 Ranek Blackstone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostS1lent0ne, on 10 April 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

I also have a hard time believing that given the ability to reverse engineer that there would ever be 'lostech'. The tech had to be invented from scratch in the first place so having a copy of the finished product, even if it was disabled or damaged, to use as a road map would allow for a quick redevelopment of said tech. Back when the lore was first written information existed in a much more tangible form so the concept was easy to stomach. Considering the wide dissemination of information (even with state level forces trying to stop it) and the vast array of storage media both physical and virtual that exists now, I don't think the idea of lostech makes much sense.

By the fall of the Star League, the concept of cloud storage for your important data seems to have been phased out.

#39 Siliconwolf

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostIceSerpent, on 11 April 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

If you are trying to say that childish behavior is not equated with lack of intelligence, please elaborate on your reasoning. :)

I will not be drawn into Forum Warrior over this, lol. This post wasn't about the nuances of the English language, so I'm just going to pull the 'Keep On Topic' card. :-P

#40 Siliconwolf

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostDavers, on 11 April 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Basically by controlling all the technology, they'd be able to control all of humanity. They had superior technology to be sure, but didn't want to play the role of conquerors. They wanted to set themselves up as 'saviors'.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users