116 replies to this topic

#81 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

So excited if anything I don't want to this game go the way of the doodoo bird. I've so been wanting something like this for a long time. can't wait to see the updates.

#82 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

View PostJoachim Viltry, on 07 November 2011 - 08:15 PM, said:

Heh, some of us Battletech players remember when the SRM was in the chest and the hip launcher was a 5-tube LRM20. Hell it still is in the plastic box set mini. but yeah, where the hell is the DISH?

Ya I remember that, just told people it fired four rounds so fast that it was 20, but yes we need the dish

#83 Blackstorm

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

View PostJoachim Viltry, on 07 November 2011 - 08:10 PM, said:

Dear lord, yaknow I understand the whole 'redesign' thing, But we have certainly reached a point graphically where we can actually depict the arms on the Timberwolf correctly. The mini went through a redesign already, and is a fine looking warmachine in it's current incarnation. So *hint* copy the existing ART!

I think it is going to be best to stick close to the source material for a change. We have plenty of miniatures to look at for honest inspiration. some things need to be altered, certainly.

But, it can go south quickly; I can just imagine all the armor plate x's all over designs that used to have nice smooth surfaces, *** forbid we should actually honor a couple decades of history rather than make it look dark and gritty for the easily excited little kiddies out there.

- I started sharpening MY pitchfork the second the word "reboot" got tottered out. among film geeks that word is essentially a curse, it has negative connotations (mostly of betrayal). So pardon me if I expect the absolute worst when it is put forth proudly as if it were something to be excited about. I can only hope the design aesthetic doesn't go anywhere near the abominable look of MW4, oversimplified designs with a few surface details to distract from how badly botched the models really were. and stays closer to the ideas of the actual miniatures. (* hint* the Dragon has a complex torso shape... it is not simply a long box with some roundish shoulder things.)

Jesus, dont have a heart attack, the art flying around so far has been of a very high quality in both in its remembrance of the past and modernizing of the material.

I've been playing BT/MW for 17 yrs now and from what I can see the guys in the driving seat of this incarnation know the game and the player base and won't do anything to alienate you and yours.

So sit tight, have a pancake and wait til you see some more designs before you wittle your pitchfork down to nothing.

Edited by Blackstorm, 08 November 2011 - 07:59 PM.

#84 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

View PostBlackstorm, on 08 November 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

So sit tight, have a pancake and wait til you see some more designs before you wittle your pitchfork down to nothing.

First, I prefer Belgian waffles...

But yes, do please excuse me for having little faith in Topps. After all I found out about THIS page from the redesign at the CBT main page; which coincidentally looks like it was designed a decade ago (oooh ahhh tiled background image you say?); compare that to the previous slick (easy to navigate) design and you start to see my problem. If they are slipshod in the tech dept, what else might they fail at? The only thing Topps has visibly done to assure me (now that they have the franchise), is assure us that they don't want a repeat of the awful 'clicky-tech' debacle.

It just bugs me that multiple designs from several manufacturers designed at different times would have any kind of unifying aesthetic, which is what every game ultimately tries to do- impose a unifying aesthetic. Designs never have any unique character, instead each one has been reinterpreted to mesh well with the other designs. It's just contrary to one of the more charming aspects of Battletech military hardware; differing designs have wildly differing looks.

As to the current art that's up, I'm not feeling it 100%. FlyingDebris does know his B-tech, he certainly has done some excellent illustrations, but that means we can compare his previous work to the current concepts. And frankly I like his prior illustrations of the Hunchback to the current concept. The new designs feature odd detail changes that make me think that this is going to be very much like previous games; where the designs don't really match things properly- despite no reason existing for them not to be somewhat correct to the prior look.

I'll be honest, If the mechs move well, and the weapons are reasonably close to the way they ought to be, then I won't be overly bothered. But I'm simply sick and tired of needless redesign BS- it really should be a no brainer - make mechs as they appear, focus efforts on gameplay- pretty effin' simple as a concept. if the gameplay is solid the kiddie gamers will come, no gritty re-imagining required.

Besides everyone knows that pitchforks should be left be once properly honed... It gives you a chance to start stockpiling torches, after all.

#85 lichbane

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

Leave the Jenner and Locust as is as well.

Also I really would like more information of what kind of campaign there will be. As you can see from the link below, I have ideas. Will it be something like that? I've like to see something worth fighting over rather than just individual battles like WoT.

#86 Xx nibblez xX

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:13 AM

Nova Cat all the way...didn't anyone play Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance? lol

Will there be lots of NPC's or any NPC's at all during regular game play?

#87 Cifu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:39 AM

View Postlichbane, on 08 November 2011 - 11:48 PM, said:

Leave the Jenner and Locust as is as well.

Locust is unseen mech, if the original Locust can be preserve, then yes, i agree... But the reseen Locust is ugly as hell...

#88 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:17 AM

Are there any Mechs that you are scared of rebooting?

The Stalker. FD has already stated he wants to redesign it.

I want it to remain the silly walking ***** that it is. I hope he doesn't turn it into some generic elongated-torso no-arms mech, or break up its shape into separate pieces that make it completely unrecognizable as a Stalker.

#89 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:21 AM

View PostJoachim Viltry, on 08 November 2011 - 11:36 PM, said:

some stuff was said, and it made me think- Amarus

First off did not want to paste another block of text...

With that said I do agree with the man. Though I am not about to go raging on the devs about it I am sitting with my tin foil hat on so to speak. I do not like the idea of changing the mechs, I do not like the idea of trying to make them different than what they were, I grew up with battletech, and I like it the way it was. Just because the IP was manhandled and made it impossible to make anything, now that you have it does not mean things need to change, it just means you need to work hard to put out a quality product that people want to play. Sometimes I wonder if some of these projects are not just plays at getting the IP to stick with them, and if they change enough they can claim it is new and own it, after all they did say they wanted to work with an IP they own, the only way I see them doing that is if they change enough of the art and universe to claim it is theirs as opposed to something else.

Just a thought, as it seems to be a common thread in battletech, IP madness everywhere!

Also please do not think I am ungrateful for the game, I would just like iconic things to remain such, iconic. Either way I am excited for the release.

#90 fanam

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:48 AM

View PostCifu, on 08 November 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

We are not running to early? In 3049 there is no Timber Wolf in the Inner Sphere. And until now, as i aware, the game are placed in the Inner Sphere...
So they won't need to put Timber Wolf in the game at least until 3050 (in our time: 2013).

I have just re-read the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, the novels detailing the start of the clan invasion, and the first clan Mech described was Vlad Wolf's Mad Cat (Timber Wolf). This was August of 3049. So we should see Mad Cats right away.

#91 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:08 AM

View Postfanam, on 09 November 2011 - 04:48 AM, said:

I have just re-read the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, the novels detailing the start of the clan invasion, and the first clan Mech described was Vlad Wolf's Mad Cat (Timber Wolf). This was August of 3049. So we should see Mad Cats right away.

If you are in the periphery then sure, but I doubt you want to be out in those lostech wastelands.

#92 Eidolon

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:47 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 07 November 2011 - 04:02 PM, said:

Are there any Mechs you can't wait to redesign? Why?
I really want to redesign the mechs with bizarre legs that seem to defy physics in some sense, like the Stalker or Black Python, in order to fix the problem.

Alexi! Please consider Matt Plog's redesign for inspiration. This is a great improvement.
Posted Image

Edited by Eidolon, 09 November 2011 - 06:54 AM.

#93 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:21 AM

View PostEidolon, on 09 November 2011 - 06:47 AM, said:

Alexi! Please consider Matt Plog's redesign for inspiration. This is a great improvement.
Posted Image

Strongly agreed here. The legs on the original are way too scrawny, this one is a much better jumping off point.

#94 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:22 AM

View PostEidolon, on 09 November 2011 - 06:47 AM, said:

Posted Image

Pretty cool but I always thought the mech was awkward regardless. I think this still looks awkward but if you like it more power to you.

#95 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

Plog is the MAN.

#96 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

Ok it's Wednesday... UPDATE NAO!!!!

Please? :)

I have to go to class in a few hours!

#97 snowridr

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

Nice to see clan mechs will be eventually added to the game. (Black Python mentioned.)

#98 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:42 PM

Well I see a dev interview but no blog must have got the Weds messed up. but I thou they said blog 1st weds of the month and interveiw 2nd weds. Oh well small thing not to worry about still happy to see this come to light finally.

#99 fanam

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:44 AM

View PostAmarus Cameron, on 09 November 2011 - 05:08 AM, said:

If you are in the periphery then sure, but I doubt you want to be out in those lostech wastelands.

They didn't stay there. :) Clan Wolf loves their Mad Cats and was used by several other clans.

#100 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:01 AM

View Postfanam, on 10 November 2011 - 01:44 AM, said:

They didn't stay there. :) Clan Wolf loves their Mad Cats and was used by several other clans.

They were used by other clans because we took them *insert evil laugh here*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users