On The Peak Of Mount Tryhard...

95 replies to this topic

#41 Kit10

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

What's amazing is when my HUD goes all acid triangles mid-duel and I'm screaming 'FUUUUUUUUU', but then I realize that I'm taking almost no damage.

Then I realize that it's likely my opponent's HUD has also gone all triangles. It is a feeling of perfect one-ness with the anonymous pilot on the other end of the machine. Our lives become joined by this shared experience and all our efforts, which before were dedicated to destroying one another, are now completely subverted by the zen of the triangles.

#42 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

View Postcdlord, on 12 April 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

I had the polygon HUD issue until I updated my graphics drivers. You're probably on top of it, but it made a world of difference for me so if you haven't, check it out. This was my poly issue:
Posted Image

That's exactly what I had. Did some funky things to the eyes, that's for sure! Updated drivers and never again.

-k

#43 Artifex 28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:07 AM

FTL drives engaged.
Warp 9!

Posted Image

#44 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

View PostArtifex 28, on 12 April 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

FTL drives engaged.
Warp 9!

Posted Image

Dont forget silent running, you are in a 3L after all.

#45 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

View PostChavette, on 12 April 2013 - 03:16 AM, said:

Wasn't funny until I saw the range of your weapons... :D

Ya, if your mech's top speed is less than 50 kph, you should probably have at least one weapon with a range of more than 270m.

#46 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

View PostRoland, on 12 April 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

Ya, if your mech's top speed is less than 50 kph, you should probably have at least one weapon with a range of more than 270m.

You're right, he should change one of the srm6s to an lrm5, invest in the longer ranged ac10, drop some ammo and with the extra weight get a er large laser on one hand.

#47 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

View PostArtgathan, on 12 April 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

Everyone knows you never go full zoom.

As for ridge humping / overwatch, that's kinda how Infantry fighting works in RL until you can establish position and maneuver in close to destroy the enemy.

This is giant robots. I know a rifle is better than a shotgun in almost any battle. It's common sense.

But I don't want to play ridgehumper online. Give me my SRMs back, so I can blow you apart if I make it across. That's fair, and makes both sides happy. Short-ranged weaponry must be really strong, because it's so risky to get into position.

#48 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 12 April 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

This is giant robots. I know a rifle is better than a shotgun in almost any battle. It's common sense.

But I don't want to play ridgehumper online. Give me my SRMs back, so I can blow you apart if I make it across. That's fair, and makes both sides happy. Short-ranged weaponry must be really strong, because it's so risky to get into position.

Fun stuff in Beta when weapon variety goes down the tubes. Matches are so BORING without variety.

#49 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

View PostRoland, on 12 April 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

You should focus on one task, and stick to it. The best starting point is knowing how the weapons work.

For instance, did you know that AC20 hits about as hard as a gauss rifle out to around 600 meters? The projectile can easily travel 1200 meters.

I also move at 62 kmph. It's heavily min-maxed, to the point I know where SRMs converge. If I were to put PPCs and other ranged stuff on the atlas, it's still inferior to the cata and stalker, because no jets, and the arms are slung low. You can't ridgehump in an atlas, as you must expose 50% of your mech to fire the hand beams, while the stalker and catapult can both pop up and fire from their ears.

It's okay that snipers ruin me. I'm completely okay with that, but if I make it to them, I want my guns to kill them quickly, like old SRMs, or a P90 in counter-strike.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 12 April 2013 - 06:22 AM.

#50 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 12 April 2013 - 03:45 AM, said:

Posted Image

it's like you're entering a stargate or somethin, whoaa

#51 Rippthrough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

Yes, I'm mainly a sniper or light pilot, and even I'll agree that plain old SRM's need a good 50% damage buff, streaks are fine atm though, so perhaps leave those and explain it away as the guidance system takes up weight. Would give a purpose to SRM2's over streaks too then.

#52 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostBoPop, on 12 April 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

it's like you're entering a stargate or somethin, whoaa

Posted Image

Such is life in the fractal sphere.

#53 Terror Teddy

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

View Postcdlord, on 12 April 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

I had the polygon HUD issue until I updated my graphics drivers. You're probably on top of it, but it made a world of difference for me so if you haven't, check it out. This was my poly issue:
Posted Image

What game are you playing???

Rainbowland?

#54 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

Posted Image

#55 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 12 April 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

You should focus on one task, and stick to it. The best starting point is knowing how the weapons work.

For instance, did you know that AC20 hits about as hard as a gauss rifle out to around 600 meters? The projectile can easily travel 1200 meters.

Hmm.. I think you're overestimating the damage of an AC20 here.
At the listed max range of the 20, you're doing 20 damage at 270 meters. At max range, which is 3x the listed optimal range for ballistics (810 here) you're doing zero damage. Then the damage drops off linearly between these two distances. At twice the listed range, you're only doing half damage. with the AC20, at 540m, you're only doing 10 damage. So at 600m, you're not doing Gauss damage, you're doing about 66% of a gauss rifle.

View PostVassago Rain, on 12 April 2013 - 06:22 AM, said:

It's okay that snipers ruin me. I'm completely okay with that, but if I make it to them, I want my guns to kill them quickly, like old SRMs, or a P90 in counter-strike.

I don't disagree with this notion. Certainly, I agree with your goal of choosing not to hump a ridge, as I tend to not really like that play style myself (although I do run sniping builds.. they just tend to be more mobile ones).

Choosing to infight requires that you be able to get into infighting range. Your Atlas is faster than most, which certainly helps, although on a map like Alpine it seems like you're often going to have a hard time finding an approach vector without the enemy seeing you, but given that you're not complaining about this, that's cool.

In terms of buffing SRM's up to where they were previously, I'm just not thinking that this is gonna happen.. They were pretty broken before. Their firepower to weight ratio absolutely trounced everything else in the game.

#56 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostRoland, on 12 April 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

Hmm.. I think you're overestimating the damage of an AC20 here.
At the listed max range of the 20, you're doing 20 damage at 270 meters. At max range, which is 3x the listed optimal range for ballistics (810 here) you're doing zero damage. Then the damage drops off linearly between these two distances. At twice the listed range, you're only doing half damage. with the AC20, at 540m, you're only doing 10 damage. So at 600m, you're not doing Gauss damage, you're doing about 66% of a gauss rifle.

I don't disagree with this notion. Certainly, I agree with your goal of choosing not to hump a ridge, as I tend to not really like that play style myself (although I do run sniping builds.. they just tend to be more mobile ones).

Choosing to infight requires that you be able to get into infighting range. Your Atlas is faster than most, which certainly helps, although on a map like Alpine it seems like you're often going to have a hard time finding an approach vector without the enemy seeing you, but given that you're not complaining about this, that's cool.

In terms of buffing SRM's up to where they were previously, I'm just not thinking that this is gonna happen.. They were pretty broken before. Their firepower to weight ratio absolutely trounced everything else in the game.

They were pretty okay before. No one complained on SRMs. It was the A1 that was broken, and for reasons that don't relate to SRM damage. With them reduced in power, I still pop people in two shots. One removes the armor, the other kills. It's not 40 damage more than they have life, but the result is the same.

Meanwhile, my atlas has lost the left hook. So the problem wasn't solved, but everything is now inferior to long-ranged fighting. We needed that left hook to avoid the humping, and make the field fair. It's really good to do 45 damage with 3 guns, but they have a heatspike, they have almost no range, and they don't have any kind of first strike ability.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 12 April 2013 - 07:19 AM.

#57 Mr 144

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostKaspirikay, on 12 April 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

Does it happen in windowed mode? Or only in full screen? I play in windowed only, and it never happened to me.

I switched to full windowed a few nights ago, and 75% of my bugs vanished....so now I'm only bugged 25% of the time :D

Mr 144

#58 merz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 12 April 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

Just look at that formation, and the mechs used. I got matched against PGI guys in 3Ds, running alongside more 3Ds and stalkers. Give me back my SRMS already.

goon tears, best tears.

Edited by merz, 12 April 2013 - 08:01 AM.

#59 p8ragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostChemie, on 12 April 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

When I go full zoom, I lose freind/foe triangles so consider yourself lucky

Never, EVER, go full zoom.

#60 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

To everyone having the rainbow polygon bugs, are you all running Nvidia cards? I have an ATI (Radeon Mobile HD 5850) and I have NEVER seen that glitch before.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users