44 replies to this topic

#1 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:24 AM

As a MW:O player I classify myself as a "tactical player"...

I'm not one to cry buff or nerf as I appreciate certain imbalances in warfare that require one to use strategy and tactics to overcome deficits and doing so, contributes largely to my enjoyment of this game.

EMS? - Direct fire weapons and focus fire... LRM spamming? - Use terrain and obstacles to avoid and close to defeat them... Splats? - Keep my distance and pick'm with ranged weapons... Poptards? - Use terrain and obstacles for cover and either counter-snipe or ambush... Boats / high alpha? - Keep moving and accost them when they over-heat...

Light Mechs? (Especially 2 or more working on concert)... I got nothing. I have literally no fear of anything Medium and above but those damn lights... I cringe when I run into them.

I cannot enumerate the number of times I find myself flailing about wildly trying to defend myself from a pair of lights as they spin me in circles and chew me to the bone... It's almost embarrassing. :D

So... You elite players (You guys know who you are) What are your secrets to handling getting gang-banged by ankle-biters?

#2 Critical Fumble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 810 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

Stick with your team, L2P noob :D

#3 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

Either carry a light-killing weapon:
LBX
SRM6
SSRM2's,
Most lasers

Or try to play to your strengths:
Drag them to a small area where they will get caught on something and be forced to stop. I like to go into tunnels or choke points where they have to fight in close proximity to me. Many times they get hung up on a wall and then it's alpha leg until its breaks, then alpha them till they die.

Also HSR will be implemented for ballistic (AC/PPC/SRMs) next week. That will help.

#4 Chazer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

First and foremost, don't panic. Every desperation shot you miss is a huge swing in the favor of the lights. You need to make sure you are lining up the best shot possible instead of taking as many shots as possible. If you hit a light mech square in the CT they start to think twice about sticking around. Its also usually good to make sure you are not zoning in on a single light mech. This will give the others in the pack a sense of security to take their time with shots and position well on your backside.

#5 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

Posted Image

We might need an updated one that says KEEP CALM AND FLUSH THE COOLANT.

#6 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

I back up against a building or wall of some type to limit the facings they can attack from. An assault caught in the open by lights is meat. Remember when advancing to always have a retreat or backup path in your mind.

#7 FrDrake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

Aim for the legs. Legging light mechs has gotten pretty trivial nowadays since it only takes 2 solid hits against them to take them off.

When a light mech finds you does the first pass and goes behind you:

Hit X
Hit S a little bit
turn the opposite direction from the direction they went behind you
shoot him the legs as he runs by (if he stopped thinking he was going to rear armor shoot you give him a full one to the face)

As chazer above said don't waste your shots, it takes times for them to take you apart, kill one and the other one will most likely take off. Even getting a leg to crit is enough to scare a bunch of them as they know they're one hit from dieing.

#8 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostCritical Fumble, on 12 April 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

Stick with your team, L2P noob :D

While nice in theory... I've found that if there are ANY other targets in the vicinity, my "team" typically has their blinders on and expecting them to help me only happens when they effectively have no recourse. :P

#9 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Pre-SRM-Nerf my Awesome was a light buster. 2LPL, 1ML, 4xSRM6+Arty.

Now the best loadout for light busting is 2xLBX + 4ML for me on my Jäger.

Best fight was destroying a 4-man team of commandos on frozen city. I love how they pop.

As others said, always keep calm and wait for the moment where you'll know that your shots will land spot on.
I go for legs with lasers and for Side torsos with everything else.

A light with a red leg is always going to back off.

Edited by TexAss, 12 April 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#10 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

don't put yourself in the situation for starters.

If it happens, 1st is tell teammates on TS, that I have a couple of lights and need backup.

If that can't happen, keep calm, line up the shots, and don't shoot till you know it will hit. They generally aren't going to insta kill you so just take your time and land good clean shots.

Most lights will leave once they take a little bit of damage. 1 good alpha from most mechs is enough to scare them off. Just hit it clean and hit it hard.

#11 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

99% of the time I'm in my -1X which contrary to social norms, I have kitted to be effective from all ranges (Gauss, ERLas, MPlas x 2)

When I get caught in the open by more than one light I spend 5 min swinging wildly left & right trying desperately to get a hit in (MPlas ... Occasionally I get lucky with the ERLas or Gauss) When I have cover I do try to back into something but more often than not I'm naked in the open...

I am pretty sure I do waste a lot of shots... Admittedly I do panic a bit. :D

#12 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostDaZur, on 12 April 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

As a MW:O player I classify myself as a "tactical player"...

I'm not one to cry buff or nerf as I appreciate certain imbalances in warfare that require one to use strategy and tactics to overcome deficits and doing so, contributes largely to my enjoyment of this game.

EMS? - Direct fire weapons and focus fire... LRM spamming? - Use terrain and obstacles to avoid and close to defeat them... Splats? - Keep my distance and pick'm with ranged weapons... Poptards? - Use terrain and obstacles for cover and either counter-snipe or ambush... Boats / high alpha? - Keep moving and accost them when they over-heat...

Light Mechs? (Especially 2 or more working on concert)... I got nothing. I have literally no fear of anything Medium and above but those damn lights... I cringe when I run into them.

I cannot enumerate the number of times I find myself flailing about wildly trying to defend myself from a pair of lights as they spin me in circles and chew me to the bone... It's almost embarrassing. :D

So... You elite players (You guys know who you are) What are your secrets to handling getting gang-banged by ankle-biters?

well regardless of the mechs tonnage, you are scared of a situation where your being attacked by 2 or more enemies.... how is that something you SHOULDNT be scared of?

but in the end it depends on your mech, if you can carry some anti light weapons as people have said, if you cant do that or dont want to stick with your team, put your back to a wall, in my light this annoys me because it removes my "return fire free zone" and if you dont have SSRM's then leg them and DONT tunnel vision on one hit whoever gets in your line of fire. You can try and trick one into being stupid by focusing on one for a second til the other stops moving to get easier shots, then unload on them but thast risky.

#13 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

View PostDaZur, on 12 April 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

99% of the time I'm in my -1X which contrary to social norms, I have kitted to be effective from all ranges (Gauss, ERLas, MPlas x 2)

When I get caught in the open by more than one light I spend 5 min swinging wildly left & right trying desperately to get a hit in (MPlas ... Occasionally I get lucky with the ERLas or Gauss) When I have cover I do try to back into something but more often than not I'm naked in the open...

I am pretty sure I do waste a lot of shots... Admittedly I do panic a bit. :D

Your loadout is conducive to being ***** by lights.

Gauss + ERPPC + 2MLs would be better and the same tonnage.

Or even Gauss + 5 MLs. The ERLL is a waste of tonnage and heat, and MPLs don't make much sense on a mech with energy hardpoints to burn.

Edited by 3rdworld, 12 April 2013 - 07:30 AM.

#14 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 12 April 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

Your loadout is conducive to being ***** by lights.

Gauss + ERPPC + 2MLs would be better and the same tonnage.

Or even Gauss + 5 MLs. The ERLL is a waste of tonnage and heat.

Interesting...

How does dropping the ERLas in favor of a ERPPC and the MPlas in favor of Mlas position me better for dueling lights?

I guess I should preface that I PUG exclusively... Which I know is part of my fear factor (limited teamwork logic application) :D

#15 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostDaZur, on 12 April 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

Interesting...

How does dropping the ERLas in favor of a ERPPC and the MPlas in favor of Mlas position me better for dueling lights?

ERPPC & gauss gives you a quick pinpoint 25 dmg alpha, and more range than that ERLL. That 25 dmg it only takes 2 shots to take a leg off. It is much harder to do that with lasers unless you can stack them en mass.

or you can stack a huge amount of MLas and cut their legs off pretty quick. the Gauss + 5Mls is 4 more damage alpha while saving you 4 tons, and barely any more heat. 20.5 -> 21.

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

I can see the laser point as mediums have more range but I am with you the LLaser has a faster recycle, and usuall can hit more often than a PPC.

:D
3rd most lights on't dual at range so the longer reach would be o no real assistance as they can close quite quickly.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 12 April 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#17 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

It's been said above, but if you have lasers, go for their legs. Lasers are now very effective against light mechs after state rewind was introduced. Many light drivers will now go look for something easier to attack if they risk getting their legs shot from under them. In my experience, 4ML or 2LL waved over a light mech's legs is enough to encourage them to go find another target. Most heavy/assault drivers will shoot centre-of-target when they get flustered, which is exactly what a light-mech driver wants because it spreads damage over LT/CT/RT.

If you have ballistics, cross your fingers and wait for ballistic state rewind to be implemented :D.

#18 FunkyFritter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

The most important thing is to work with your allies to cover your rears. A lone assault mech is a free kill, 2 assault mechs standing back-to-back is a killing field lights will steer clear of.

#19 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

If you're in an assault Mech you're not meant to have an easy time vs a light that can dart around behind you.

Try using some cover to conceal your back, and support and rely on your teammates, you can't go it alone.

#20 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 12 April 2013 - 07:37 AM, said:

I can see the laser point as mediums have more range but I am with you the LLaser has a faster recycle, and usuall can hit more often than a PPC.

:D
3rd most lights on't dual at range so the longer reach would be o no real assistance as they can close quite quickly.

Well he said he was looking for something to handle all ranges. The ERPPC is vastly superior at longer ranges than that ERLL.

Hitting lights with PPCs is pretty easy. at least for me, PPCs are really the only energy weapon I use anymore.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users