My Greatest Frustration...

44 replies to this topic

#21 M4NTiC0R3X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

Apparently you've never seen 8 atlai on the field at one time.

#22 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

From the perspective of a light pilot:

Take your time and aim well. Be aware that I'm going to ride my throttle and A/D keys to try to throw off your aim, especially when I'm on the business side of your weaponry. Be aware that I don't want to be on that side of you, so reverse and counter-turn - I'll likely try to get behind you and then it gets down to your turning rate vs. my speed and distance - and you're likely to come out on top of that equation unless you're seriously under-engined.

But don't be afraid to take snap shots either - the more damage I take, the less inclined I am to push the attack. As others have said, aim for my legs; if you get a good solid hit or two in, it's a fair bet I'll take off in search of easier prey.

I don't have much armour, and while I may have a good deal of firepower, chances are you'll have more of both. So I'm going to try and turn it into an unfair fight where I can hit you but you can't hit me; be that by being behind you or just by being fast and jinking around so your aim gets messed up. If you put up too much of a fight, I'll probably go off and find someone oblivious to fight instead.

#23 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 12 April 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

The Gauss + 5Mls is 4 more damage alpha while saving you 4 tons, and barely any more heat. 20.5 -> 21.

Actually that is my preferred (I'm a Brawler at heart) build, but as of late.. getting in close, particularly with all the Jags running around, has become hazardous to my health.

View PostThontor, on 12 April 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

That explains it. Lights are to Cataphracts as scissors is to paper, in my experience. I mostly blame the very limited arm range of motion. And lack of energy hardpoints... Of course with the 1X that's not the issue. Until HSR for travel time weapons is in (the 16th! Soon!) I recommend using lots of lasers, and less gauss and PPCs. Lasers tear lights up. Especially their legs.

Sadly, I'm very fond of my Phract and my other ride is a Founders Atlas which makes me even more inviting to light-mech "prison loving"...

#24 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

View Poststjobe, on 12 April 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

If you put up too much of a fight, I'll probably go off and find someone oblivious to fight instead.

This

Unless they have some prevailing reason to be bothering you, like you are out of position or you are the last one alive. 1 good shot is all you need.

take your time, line up the shot, hit it clean.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. (to quote Marky Mark).

Edited by 3rdworld, 12 April 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#25 NinetyProof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostDaZur, on 12 April 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

As a MW:O player I classify myself as a "tactical player"...
Light Mechs? (Especially 2 or more working on concert)... I got nothing. I have literally no fear of anything Medium and above but those damn lights... I cringe when I run into them.

Nothing ... for now.

Host State Rewind is the real issue with fast mechs. They fixed it for Energy weapons, and that helped a ton. But it's still not there for ballistics or missiles. Once both of those are in, and missiles are un-nerfed/fixed, fast lights will be easier to kill.

#26 Marcus Cvellus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

People deserve to be laughed in the face when they get owned by most under powered, least armored and least piloted class in the MWO if they start crying after they got their backside outnumbered.
:D

Like i already stated in other "lights killed me, they should be nerfed/we should be buffed/i need free kills" topic:
Lights are fighting uphill battle already, you should take your hat and bow to guys that, while piloting lights succeed to get to you, and even more for ones that succeeded in making your game harder because that is quite a feat these days when everything is stacked against them.

#27 Nathaniel Wolf

• Pip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

View Post3rdworld, on 12 April 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Hitting lights with PPCs is pretty easy. at least for me, PPCs are really the only energy weapon I use anymore.

Choose which weapon you're more familiar with. I'd prefer lasers for accuracy over PPCs. Still, PPCs hit harder, better range, and snuff out things like ECM.

Try to cover your rear. The bad thing to do when fighting against a light is becoming a turret while trying in vain to get it under your crosshairs.

#28 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Hahaha forget your team mates by the time ya type for help you're dead.
So save your own skin find a nice wall and cover your backside.
Not a low hill but a wall, of course there are the jumping beans.
But at least they can't back shoot ya.
Just don't get into a turning battle you will lose.
Or my personal favorite the flat eight.
Gauranteed to keep them in your los.
Ssshhh don't tell the littles buggers.
Sadly in the current state of the game ya can't depend on the other pugs to cover
your hinnies.
So cover yur own.

#29 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostThontor, on 12 April 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

That explains it. Lights are to Cataphracts as scissors is to paper, in my experience. I mostly blame the very limited arm range of motion. And lack of energy hardpoints... Of course with the 1X that's not the issue. Until HSR for travel time weapons is in (the 16th! Soon!) I recommend using lots of lasers, and less gauss and PPCs. Lasers tear lights up. Especially their legs.

Definitely this. Lasers are anathema to lights. Just stay calm and land your shots - you have much more armor than they do. If you're already crippled you might not stand a chance but *** for tat you can afford to take quite a few hits while they can't.

#30 Utilyan

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

I'm not one to cry buff or nerf as I appreciate certain imbalances in warfare that require one to use strategy and tactics to overcome deficits and doing so, contributes largely to my enjoyment of this game.

EMS? - Direct fire weapons and focus fire... LRM spamming? - Use terrain and obstacles to avoid and close to defeat them... Splats? - Keep my distance and pick'm with ranged weapons... Poptards? - Use terrain and obstacles for cover and either counter-snipe or ambush... Boats / high alpha? - Keep moving and accost them when they over-heat...

Light Mechs? (Especially 2 or more working on concert)... I got nothing. I have literally no fear of anything Medium and above but those damn lights... I cringe when I run into them.

I cannot enumerate the number of times I find myself flailing about wildly trying to defend myself from a pair of lights as they spin me in circles and chew me to the bone... It's almost embarrassing. ;)

So... You elite players (You guys know who you are) What are your secrets to handling getting gang-banged by ankle-biters?

Study Air Combat Manuevers (ACM). Thatch Weave would prob be good vs lights.

Sometimes mechwarrior is TANK tactics at long range, COD/BF3/CS at medium to contact, WWII AIR combat brawl.

A group attacked by lights tend to do a Wagon Train circle, or if you back up on a wall your doing Wagon Train tactics. Prob NOT the best. Your going to end up with shooting at his 9 or 3 o'clocks, The shot you want is his 12 or 6, you want him comming at you or running away.

So if you got a group, the Wagon Train circle is prob worst way to defend. The next worst thing is join the circle of death fight.

The best defense is in my opinion would be a Thatch Weave. You run towards your buddy he runs towards you, you shoot anything thats on him he shoots whats on you. You criss-cross then turn back on each other. Think ahead to when collisions come back make sure you run into the enemy not your buddy. ;)

Setting up a lance, I think Finger Four air combat formation might be a better setup then any tank or soldier setup. Mostly because our mechs do alot of E-fighting in sense they take time to turn, even stopping is not instant.

Even if your the slowest mech in the world moving at 32kph is better then not moving at all. Its best everyone on team keeps thier momentums and cordinate with each other. Even if your pugging a simple "HELP" might be enough to put folks on the same page. ;)

Edited by Utilyan, 12 April 2013 - 09:20 AM.

#31 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'm not one to cry buff or nerf as I appreciate certain imbalances in warfare that require one to use strategy and tactics to overcome deficits and doing so, contributes largely to my enjoyment of this game.

EMS? - Direct fire weapons and focus fire... LRM spamming? - Use terrain and obstacles to avoid and close to defeat them... Splats? - Keep my distance and pick'm with ranged weapons... Poptards? - Use terrain and obstacles for cover and either counter-snipe or ambush... Boats / high alpha? - Keep moving and accost them when they over-heat...

I cannot enumerate the number of times I find myself flailing about wildly trying to defend myself from a pair of lights as they spin me in circles and chew me to the bone... It's almost embarrassing. ;)

So... You elite players (You guys know who you are) What are your secrets to handling getting gang-banged by ankle-biters?

You are in the extreme minority in this game. The majority seem to be those who do as my sig says

#32 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

in my experience the best way to fight light mechs in an assault or slow heavy is back yourself into a wall or building so they cannot get behind you. this will also force them to make u-turns as they move in front of you meaning they will be stationary or almost stationary for a short time. take your time, stay calm, and blast them in the legs. use all your weapons to alpha the legs, do not chain fire or spread out your damage, you want to wait for one good money shot that will simply take them out.

if you're up against 3 v 1, you will probably still die. there is no shame in this, you got caught out of position, it happens, better luck next time, hopefully the 7 other people on your team tore up the remaining 5 people on their team while you were slowly dying.

#33 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostMarcus Cvellus, on 12 April 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

People deserve to be laughed in the face when they get owned by most under powered, least armored and least piloted class in the MWO if they start crying after they got their backside outnumbered.
;)

Like i already stated in other "lights killed me, they should be nerfed/we should be buffed/i need free kills" topic:
Lights are fighting uphill battle already, you should take your hat and bow to guys that, while piloting lights succeed to get to you, and even more for ones that succeeded in making your game harder because that is quite a feat these days when everything is stacked against them.

You mistake... Not QQ'ing or crying nerf at all... just fishing for tactical suggestions. ;)

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 12 April 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

You are in the extreme minority in this game. The majority seem to be those who do as my sig says

That's me... always cutting against the grain. ;)

View PostWolf Ender, on 12 April 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

if you're up against 3 v 1, you will probably still die. there is no shame in this, you got caught out of position, it happens, better luck next time, hopefully the 7 other people on your team tore up the remaining 5 people on their team while you were slowly dying.

Sadly, usually I have 7 dead spectators watching me get corn-holed by a Raven and a Commando... :ph34r:

#34 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

I hate lights more than anything ( only if it's anything other than a commando ). Any more than 1 and I am usually dead. I can scare them off sometimes with my Hunchback cause of it's speed and torso twist but not always.

I did realize that I should still fire off my AC/20 especially when they are running in a line not perpendicular. I nail their legs to no armor in one shot and then I focus fire on it with lasers. So while ballistic state rewind is not in yet, don't shy away from your ballistics on the legs. I was surprised how much I connect even now.

#35 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostWANTED, on 12 April 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

I did realize that I should still fire off my AC/20 especially when they are running in a line not perpendicular. I nail their legs to no armor in one shot and then I focus fire on it with lasers. So while ballistic state rewind is not in yet, don't shy away from your ballistics on the legs. I was surprised how much I connect even now.

You always want to take shots from their 12 or 6 (head-on or straight behind) or as close to it as you can get. If you try to take a 3 or 9 shot, you'll have to lead them by a very hard-to-determine distance, and you're much more likely to miss.

Edited by stjobe, 12 April 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#36 Xmith

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

What do you do with lights circling you with ecm? I like to use ERPPC not PPC because of the minimum range and a couple of streaks. 1 light is usally no problem. The experienced light pilot will take off when they get hit with an ERPPC and streaks. I can sometimes handle up to 2 lights.

#37 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

There is nothing in this game scarier than a pack of lights. Especially if there is ECM involved (and there always is). I will take on assaults and weapon boats all day long, but a pack of lights will make me question my existence.

#38 Denno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

If I'm in my RS I fear no single light. Period. 2 may make me work and sweat and it's still iffy, depending on skill. Multiple lights being fearsome is proper, though.

...buuuuut...a pack of 3-4 lights is the second most ugliest, feared thing in the game for me. A pack of ct-immortal Cents is the only thing worse. I figure that may eventually change when the devs encounter some and get tired of trying to shoot the stick uselessly and being forced to leg each one.

edit: but it's really all rock/paper/sciscors. You can fit to fight fast movers,but you'll likely suck against that uac40 Jaeger, or whatever. If it's the MOST annoying thing in the game to you then do what you have to do to make it palatable. Dual lbx 10 Jaeger maybe or an RS with 4 LL and Lbx. An Awesome with a bitc*load of medium lasers? Hell I ran around last week with a C1 jump Cat with 3 Lrg Pulse for lawls and did ok against lights.

Edited by Denno, 12 April 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#39 Marcus Cvellus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostDaZur, on 12 April 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

You mistake... Not QQ'ing or crying nerf at all... just fishing for tactical suggestions. :wub:

That's me... always cutting against the grain. :)

Sadly, usually I have 7 dead spectators watching me get corn-holed by a Raven and a Commando... :wacko:

Maybe not saying it, but you are making all the other guys QQ.

#40 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

Stay with your team... or my personal favourite: Send the pugs in first.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users