Should Free Look Also Extend Your Arms

5 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Free Look Also Extend Your Arms (9 member(s) have cast votes)

If You Have The Appropriate Actuators, Should "Free Look" Extend Your Arms?

1. Yes - the actuators are there so why not? (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. No - another function should be added to do this (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. No - it should be a feature of those mechs without lower arm actuators (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Abstain - I have no view on this subject (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Basically, we have actuators that currently do not have any functionality. Hand actuators do nothing (no melee or stuff to pick up), lower arm actuators allow your arms to move horizontally, upper arm actuators/shoulders move your arms up and down. So, should Free Look (lets you move your arms independently of your torso) also allow you to straighten your arms? Or should another function be added to the game to allow this?

#2 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

I think it would be good to be able to extend your arms, but in my opinion the best way of doing it would be a toggle (like with missile bay doors). Using the free look function would mess up my Centurion's shield-style, amongst other things, which would be unacceptabru.

#3 Zylo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Add another function with a raised/lowered display similar to the throttle to allow locking at any position within the movement range similar to the way the old throttle system works. The cost to running the arms in the raised position should be reduced movement ranges to the sides.

#4 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Yes, this is a good idea, since having lower arm actuators should never be a penalty to a mech, since it's already spending critical slots for them.

Perhaps add a toggle key that makes your arms swing up and extend, as the OP suggests.

When extended, the arms essentially lock to the torso, so you can't swing to the sides... That would add an additional pilot control that could be kind of cool. Basically, stick them out if you are sniping, and then lower them if you're brawling.

#5 TungstenWall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Maybe not free-look, but maybe a similar key that would let us. But id rather not have the arms stick up like super-battle-droids (well maybe the Awesome). Though it should still be noticeable.

#6 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

I'm thinking that instead of linking it to the "free look" button, it instead function like opening the missile pod doors on the catapult, and result in locking your arms to the torso, and extending them up so they fire from the shoulders.

Given that they already have a somewhat similar mechanism in place for the missile pods on a catapult, this may actually be feasible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users