Giving The Courtesy For The Kill...

57 replies to this topic

#21 Pastor Priest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

Case in point. I was running the trial CTF when I joined in December. A K2 legged me, and his buddies ran off chasing others, thinking I was a goner. I promptly cored the K2. I say take out the guns as fast as possible.

#22 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Even the training vids suggest you take em out asap. A 3/4 cored mech with weps is still just as dangerous as a fresh one.....
Even when disabled dmg wise, good pilots go on a cap spree that can lead to a win for their team.

The only time its not acceptable is when a pilot refuses to help out/engage enemy to preseve his own mech till all the hard work is done. All that does its puts the team down a fighter and at a disadvantage. Otherwise suck it up and accept it as part of team play, if you're truly put out by "your kill" getting stolen you're better off switching to a hardcore twich shooter instead of mwo

#23 Jonathan Paine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

Only time I won't kill a legged mech is when it has also lost all weapons AND there is another enemy closer by. Though I will not fire through friendlies to get a kill just to keep my stats padded.

#24 SnuggleBug

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Changing Diapers

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

I always thought of it as the opposite. I shoot light in the legs when in a light. Once I or someone else legs him I tend to roll off for the next target as the tough part of the job is done. It would take more time to finish them off if I did it. I always let the big boys finish them as they can usually take care of it with a single alpha. Plus if i stick around they could do some serious damage to me whilst they will barely scratch the paint of a fatlass.

Edit:Response to OP situation. This is light on light only. Any other class and its a dead man.

Edited by SnuggleBug, 13 April 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#25 Piddles

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

I get annoyed by the other end of this... when my entire team is chasing the weaponless hunchback trying to get the kill while the enemy team is just standing there pouring fire into them.

#26 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

this is the dumbest thing ive ever heard. every player in this game is holding for a kill shot you should to! and when a teammate is about to finish his kill, you have to shoot him in the back to turn him around and steal it... why would you play any different than anyone else? if anyone thinks there isn't intentional hold for kill shots your exactly the naïve dumbass that belongs here

Edited by DCLXVI, 13 April 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#27 SnuggleBug

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Changing Diapers

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

All I can picture in my head is the final kill scene of Jurassic Park 2. When the adult t-rex is nudging the baby t-rex to kill the CEO guy with a broken leg.

Can someone make a .gif of a stalker nudging a raven behind a legged commando?

Edited by SnuggleBug, 13 April 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#28 Agmar Strick

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Situationally, I'll leave a kill to someone else. But only if there's a tactically superior option. Never as a point of honour.

#29 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

I remember eve online lol, I figured out where a very high payout mission was, id get a 500isk shuttlecraft, slow as **** and no weapons, id go to this mission grounds and spread cargo containers that you can warp within 1, 5, 10, 15, 20 kms of all over the field allowing me to warp to any part of the field in a second. Small groups would show up helping each other out with the mission gathering their containers after they finished, but every time they got a kill id warp usually within a few kilometers of their container and steal their loot before they could get close! lol Then theyd give chase, I have heard the most bloodcurdling screams from this... when I had them half way across the field, since the shuttle can only fit so much, id warp back to their containers again and make sure I had the most expensive of the loot!!!! hahahahaha. 0 risk, a shuttle only cost like 5000isk, a clone ready at all times for approx. 1/100000000 the price of some of the loot I got away with lol. If you think anyone online is thinking any different than I do, you are a fool.

#30 Noobzorz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostDCLXVI, on 13 April 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

I remember eve online lol, I figured out where a very high payout mission was, id get a 500isk shuttlecraft, slow as **** and no weapons, id go to this mission grounds and spread cargo containers that you can warp within 1, 5, 10, 15, 20 kms of all over the field allowing me to warp to any part of the field in a second. Small groups would show up helping each other out with the mission gathering their containers after they finished, but every time they got a kill id warp usually within a few kilometers of their container and steal their loot before they could get close! lol Then theyd give chase, I have heard the most bloodcurdling screams from this... when I had them half way across the field, since the shuttle can only fit so much, id warp back to their containers again and make sure I had the most expensive of the loot!!!! hahahahaha. 0 risk, a shuttle only cost like 5000isk, a clone ready at all times for approx. 1/100000000 the price of some of the loot I got away with lol. If you think anyone online is thinking any different than I do, you are a fool.

I don't think the way you do, and if they cultivate the meta properly, very few people will. Look at LoL and DotA 2.

This attitude certainly exists (you are proof of this), but if you think there aren't lots of people who don't play competitive with the attitude that everyone pulls together, then you are sorely mistaken.

Edited by Noobzorz, 13 April 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#31 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

I wish assists were tracked. But I tend to get paid more for assists than getting KBs and a friend helping me shred a mech lessens the likelihood that my mech sustains more damage.

So let me see the assists I've done total plz, idc about who kills the things though it does affect my KDR when I'm getting poached by AC40 mechs and the like.

#32 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

View PostNoobzorz, on 13 April 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

I don't think the way you do, and if they cultivate the meta properly, very few people will. Look at LoL and DotA 2.

This attitude certainly exists (you are proof of this), but if you think there aren't lots of people who don't play competitive with the attitude that everyone pulls together, then you are sorely mistaken.

is that you mrpenguin? lolol

#33 Noob Weapons

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 433 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:46 AM

View PostSnuggleBug, on 13 April 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

All I can picture in my head is the final kill scene of Jurassic Park 2. When the adult t-rex is nudging the baby t-rex to kill the CEO guy with a broken leg.

Can someone make a .gif of a stalker nudging a raven behind a legged commando?

I will pay $10 for someone to make me a banner of this. lol.

#34 Jock Blaine

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:23 AM

Although I would go for an Atlas nudging a Commando. A Commando is what I would imagine a baby Atlas would look like.

#35 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:30 AM

View PostJock Blaine, on 14 April 2013 - 03:23 AM, said:

Although I would go for an Atlas nudging a Commando. A Commando is what I would imagine a baby Atlas would look like.

Atlas nudging a Commando towards a legged 3L... Perfect :P

#36 Shadowsword8

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:49 AM

View PostDCLXVI, on 13 April 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

... If you think anyone online is thinking any different than I do, you are a fool.

More like you're projecting your mentality on others to avoid feeling any guilt about it. Sort of like "I know it's bad, but everyone does it".

#37 PianoMan

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Easy on the throttles, all! ;)

I never once said "breakoff" and ensure I leave the legged 3L with a gauss rifle mounted on it against a teammate with a small laser and half his armor gone. Yes - if I'm in a heavy, I'd kill it. If the 3L has only TAG left, I'd leave it be, and let the one who worked for that kill get it.

The YLW pilot probably did the same. I think that Jenner I was tailing had a small laser left; I had nearly all my armor. I don't think I've ever left a heavy (or medium for that matter) legged for another to finish off. Far too many hardpoints that may be left to worry about.

Please don't take this too the extreme of me handing my teammates to the T-Rex. ;)

And really? Keep the personal attacks to a minimum ;); this is, after all, just a game.. and I love it!

Edited by PianoMan, 14 April 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#38 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 13 April 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

A wounded man holding a gun can still shoot you, and I'd prefer to not leave my solo friend to "finish-off" an armed and dangerous wounded gunman... that would increase your risk of Mission Failure...

Sorry if I offend you by killing that armed war machine that you were fighting, but you might recall that he had guns, and the best way to win is to eliminate your enemy's ability to fire guns at you. Killing them works great to that effect.

There's no such thing as a Kill-Steal; there are only Team Kills. When you destroy an enemy Mech, your Team scores a kill.

Agreed 100%... I can`t remember anybody in my batallion or company ever calling me a Frag-thief or kill-stealer when we were getting shot at and I happened to take down their Tango, nor would any of us have ever even considered not assisting a comrade in any situation that was potentially life threatening.

All the enemy needs to turn the tables is a single moment of surprise with something you don`t expect happening. Thinking you`ll probably win and being proved wrong as a result < knowing you`ve won. Always, in any conflict.

#39 Klaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

I think some people seriously care way too much about stats ever since you could see things on a mech by mech basis. KSing has been pretty annoying.

I think they should add an assist stats to that page.

Edited by Klaus, 15 April 2013 - 12:40 AM.

#40 Ricama

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

I personally would prefer not to die because a team mate thought he was being polite. Kill the thing I had turned deep red on my own and I'll admit I'll get a little annoyed, for about half a second then get over it. Kills are nice, winning is nicer. As long as you didn't walk through me to actively steal the kill I don't care who ends the enemy mech, the faster it dies the better.

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users