Territory: Border to Faction to Core

20 replies to this topic

#1 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

Any world can change from "Border to Faction to Core" according to Dev Blog 1...

http://mwomercs.com/...munity-warfare/

I'm a happy man.

800 day veteran on Star Trek Online and STO does not have territory control despite me liking territory control more than any other type of gaming. This game will suck me right in and get my money.

Remember that game called "Z" ?

Steel Soldiers series if I remember right. 9 boxes on the map, each to be fought over. I bet many of you played that for endless hours and understand what I mean when I say the concept aof territory control delivers moments of play that other games can't. That moment where there is a line on the battlefield, a stalemate and a long battle. Then the fun begins as we watch the line move, a side loses ground, a side captures a key position that sways the battle. I'm only talking player versus computer! Multiple player is a far bigger buzz especially in an MMO as the enemy may get re-inforcements, then suddenly the direction of a battle changes.

Players can't predict what will happen like they can in a single player territory control game, so as the dev say about this game, every day might be different.

Players have a sense of achievement on taking territory with friends don't they. There is a noticed achievement throughout the community, in MW:O recognition could be BIG. That is something I've only experienced in Battlestar Galactica Online and it is fun even though BGO is far more simple than MW:O will be.

It gets me excited because I personally can't see how this game could not be better than most others.

I know players will feel loyal to their side and that is great for the game because it encourages players to play longer, play together, play for common objectives, I could go on. I notice on Battlestar Galactica that a faction pulls together when they lose a lot of territory.

How big will that effect be in MW:O?! Massive I think.

Who else feel as strongly about territory control and the idea of the territory changing in nature as I do?

Is this the key elements you need to put money into a game?

If not what part of MW:O does it for you instead and do you feel that part will attract massive amounts of players?

#2 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostGHQCommander, on 04 June 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

Any world can change from "Border to Faction to Core" according to Dev Blog 1...

if the devs want it to, or a certain timeline event forces it...WE will influence the border and faction planets, not more, not less

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 04 June 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#3 ChaosInside

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

This (the dynamic territory) is definitely one of the biggest pulls for me. As a person leading a Merc Corp, I expect there to be some tough decision on which side to fight for in the beginning! It'll be interesting to see how those choices pay off down the line.

#4 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

yep same here...i´m contacting some of my RL-friends and MMO-Clanmates to build up my former Merccorp in MWO... curious to see how that works out :)

#5 Faenwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 671 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty much looking forward to that part, too.
Especially sinceI'll be an RFF Soldier through and through. Maybe we can give the Kuritans enough Hell to get some more territory for usw, maybe we will be able to stop the Clan Invasion. Who knows?

Will be fun, fighting for the glory of ones Faction! But beware, this will also breed a certain kind of hatred - although all is fair in Love And War its still a game, guys!

#6 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

I've been wondering if they will handle this like flipping a port in Pirates of the Burning Sea. With every battle building up or reducing points for one faction or another.

Eager to find out.

#7 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

View PostRangerRob, on 04 June 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

I've been wondering if they will handle this like flipping a port in Pirates of the Burning Sea. With every battle building up or reducing points for one faction or another.

Eager to find out.

Quick response to my thread on this aspect, compared to any post I made in 2 years on other forums, tells me this aspect is massive.

I myself see an MMO as a way to evolve canon, not just fill in blanks but add more. How else could the game survive? So I doubt the events we already know will be the only time they change. Changes will happen to keep balance I reckon.

Just look at the sheer number of planets and considering what is happening on them all every day. Much like in Star Trek Online for example, there are technically none written or none canon events that can be imagined throughout the galaxy. They could easily write in a sudden planetary event that takes everyone by surprise.

In short I think the devs will have a lot of fun :)

#8 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

View PostBuddahcjcc, on 04 June 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

Man if this gets put into the game Ill be so in even with all the pushing away from the TT rules theyre doing

No "If"

This IS in the game. Everything the devs blogged is in beta, that was something they stated one of the posts. Territory changes fast in these sort of games. All it takes is a big Mech Corps to decide to take a territory and launch a big offensive to get it then it is taking. Maybe after hours of fighting who knows.

As for territory changing its type, that is a whole different thing. There are 3 types of planets, one of which will hardly ever change on any planet but when it does it will be part of the canon events or suited to game events.

#9 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

The conquest of the IS is one of the major things that will keep player interest high even for people new to BT!

#10 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostCarl Wrede, on 07 June 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

The conquest of the IS is one of the major things that will keep player interest high even for people new to BT!

It's an element missing from STO and TOR, last I checked. Yet on both forums players demand it.

In this age of gaming, people expect their actions to ripple through a fantasy world and be felt by other gamers in some way even if small.

#11 Woodstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

I just hope the meta game is accessible to everyone ... not just mega corps

#12 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostWoodstock, on 11 June 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

I just hope the meta game is accessible to everyone ... not just mega corps

It is, as a House pilot you fight your factions battles and will directly influence the outcome of the wars. You will be able to see your faction grow or shrink depending on your and the other pilots actions.

#13 Phaedros

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Lone Star Republic

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

Even as a MechNewbie I personally am truly excited by this type of metagame, I absolutely loved playing Battlefield 1942 and Unreal Tournament 2004 back in the day because of the domination gameplay.

But I must ask, and I hope this isn't off topic, but will we have to pledge allegiance to a Faction? Or is there an option to be a Merc? If so, how do you think Mercs will influence 'Domination'?

#14 Lipot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

Us mercs' will influence 'Domination' on the contracts we take. Some true mercs' may go all out and take a planet for one faction and their next contract is to retake it for the faction that originally held the planet. Others would work on the concepts of long term contracts or grudges and will not take contracts from certain groups. Plus there is the odd chance that a planet would be turned over to a merc group but with conditions or some other factor. Without knowing the exact final game play though it will be hard to completely know how it is going to be addressed.

#15 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

I got a question; per batch is it going to be like WOT where 12 guys go against 12 guys and the ones that win, win

OR

12 guys vs 12 guys with the possibility of reinforcements (like a que line to get in)
Cause I gotta think the continual battle idea where you can get reinforcements would be more BT

#16 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

There is the dropship mode of battle were its 12 vs12 but each player has 3 extra mechs in reserve on the dropship that he can use when his first mech is destroyed.

#17 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Of course that is only dev blog 1... still might change for better or worse but we can only hope

#18 Xantars

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 477 posts
  • LocationSome were in house Stiner Space

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

STO is turning in to a big waist of time there has been no real new content in a while and thouse weekend wonder packs just dont cut it. they need a new factions you think aftert this long they have one. Well if MWO sticks to their time table then in 1 year a meir 365 days they will have a clan invasion. Least they have there ducks in line for expansions

#19 razorkill12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationJax, FL

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

yes, we all will see. The speculation just builds it up even more!!

#20 Sierra19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

The timeline concept is cool, but I don't know if I'll be playing 20 years from now to go lay some smackdown on some wobbies. The clan invasion should be interesting, I just hope people don't leave the IS in droves to play the clans. That was the biggest problem with the TT game, after 3050 everyone wanted to play clan mechs, as they were viewed, and actually were better than almost all of the IS stuff. Better tech, better heat management, better pilots. that last part will be the only way to achieve parity, as a lot of new players will go straight for clan stuff, as that's what most of them will be familiar with from all of the previous games.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users