108 replies to this topic

#41 Denno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 14 April 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Random player: "GL HF"
Roadbeer: "Don't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL dad"

The only thing better you could say might be: "Don't tell me what to do, you're not one of my REAL dads"

#42 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostDenno, on 14 April 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

The only thing better you could say might be: "Don't tell me what to do, you're not one of my REAL dads"

Ohhhhh, 1st world problem... I like it.

Posted Image

Edited by Roadbeer, 14 April 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#43 Denno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'd sig that if'n ah was brave enuff.

#44 raygun

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 31 posts
  • Locationsf, ca

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

i find target info and game related chat more courteous than niceties. although its better than what someone on my team said to me earlier for reasons that are lost to me atm.

#45 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

It's not right to assume people aren't participating in chat due to lack of courtesy. I'd love to type in chat more, but I use an analog throttle and that means screeching to a halt every time I type in chat, or use the battlegrid, or view the scoreboard for that matter. Because of this I have to be choosy about when I speak up, at least once the game begins. It also doesn't help that a tablesaw accident long ago left me without a left pinky so typing in real time kinda sucks since for me it's slower than normal and usually has stupid mistakes that need correcting making me seem like a drunk chimp on the other end at times so often don't even bother unless it's actual information needed for my team to win the match.

tl;dr: there are more reasons than 'lack of courtesy' to not to type in chat...

#46 Antagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

I am soooo close to quoting Gunny Hartman on his opinion of courtesy, but the language filter would make it for naught.

Suffice it to say, whenver I start a new round, I say 'gl hf' in chat.

Hell, a couple of weeks back someone replied along the lines of "I swear, MWO is the only game that still has some degree of sportsmanship left in it." Make of that what you will.

#47 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostAntagonist, on 14 April 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

I am soooo close to quoting Gunny Hartman on his opinion of courtesy, but the language filter would make it for naught.

Suffice it to say, whenver I start a new round, I say 'gl hf' in chat.

Hell, a couple of weeks back someone replied along the lines of "I swear, MWO is the only game that still has some degree of sportsmanship left in it." Make of that what you will.

Goes with GG at the end. It's sportsmanship... but that concept is often lost on the generation where everyone gets a trophy for participating.

#48 Ialti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

View Postc0mbatphil, on 14 April 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

Type nonsense. It usually gets people talking. I have my own battlecry that usually loosens things up a bit. Of course there's always Schwartzenegger and Full Metal Jacket quotes.

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

#49 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostEcho6, on 14 April 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

I often wish death upon my honorless dog enemies and tell them as much. I usually get a reply.

This quote is great because of your Kurita Icon, it just fits

#50 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

Sadly my unit prohibits me from saying "you'll take it in the *** and like it" at the begining of each match. ;)

#51 Denno

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostKensaisama, on 14 April 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

Sadly my unit prohibits me from saying "you'll take it in the *** and like it" at the begining of each match. ;)

Maybe it's just me but I tend to respond negatively to that kinda...tone. Practically speaking that means I will go out of my way to bend you over somehow in-game. Course, that may be your intention!

#52 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 14 April 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

Goes with GG at the end. It's sportsmanship... but that concept is often lost on the generation where everyone gets a trophy for participating.

Yes, better to be from a generation that says empty BS at the end of a match and thinks it's sportsmanship. If you do it after every game it's just automatic nonsense and if that's what you think of as sportsmanship, I'm with the trophy generation. At least most of them know the trophies are BS. Why everyone getting a trophy is somehow different from saying the same empty phrase after every game boggles my mind, but you can't argue with these folks. BTW it's even more sporting to add close after a stomp, because that's what sportsmanship is all about. ;)

#53 FrostCollar

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

I generally don't bother because "GLHF" and "GG" are said so often that they've become meaningless. If anyone does particularly well on either team I do comment on that. That's much more sincere.

#54 Hawkig

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

You guys must be missing the late night crowd. We discuss marriage, love, all kinds of good stuff. You just are not logged and playing at the right time.

#55 armyof1

• Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

We're playing a game here where we have bases and one of the main paths to victory is to take possession of your enemy's base. Why don't I see more "All your base are belong to us"?

And I reserve GG when it's actually been a good game, 8-0 or 8-1 3 minute rolls I just don't find worthy of GG. "This fail was brought to you by Elo" would be much more appropriate.

Edited by armyof1, 14 April 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#56 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

The absolute bare minimum you should do is to please, please say where and what killed you.

I can't count the number of times I've gone to assist someone (saying in chat - Assisting D5 - or similar). They have only one mech targeted. Before I get there, they die. No problems, I'll avenge them. Walk around corner and faceplant entire enemy team.

Seriously, you're dead now. Take the three seconds before you hit spectate or quit out to say "3x enemy in D5" at the very least. Or "Guass sniper on F6, careful leaving cover" or whatever it was that killed you.

Your team may win and all it cost you was a few words! I've seen entire teams disappear like lemmings into an ECM cloud and die individually. All it would have taken was the first one to say "ECM Atlas behind D6".

#57 AnubiteGroove

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

It's useful to say things that will occupy the mind of your enemy. I won't explain what to say, but experiment a little. :)

I liked posts on the first page that summed up my opinions on chat. 'Nuf said.

#58 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 14 April 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Random player: "GL HF"
Roadbeer: "Don't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL dad"

I'm not as creative. I usually just go "Bad luck, have boredom" or "No." :)

#59 Zylo

• 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostCabusha, on 14 April 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

I've been playing since the old closed beta days, and I'm still amazed at how quiet people are. I regularly type out a friendly "Good Hunting" or "Good Luck, Have Fun" to everyone, and seldom get a reply from the opposition or even my own team.

If it wasn't for socialization with my guild, I'd have dropped this game long ago. The community is just absurdly anti-social.

Sorry, I'm too busy planning the destruction of the enemy team to reply. Some of us do care about winning the highest number of matches possible. During that loading screen I'm looking at what is available on my team and talking with my group on TS to quickly develop a strat based on the mechs that dropped with the team.

It's very rare that I ever reply to chat, I just don't pay attention to it unless it's blue text. Even then if it's not important to tactics I don't generally reply. I'm not trying to be mean, it's just that I don't give a **** about talking during a match. It has no tactical value to me.

#60 IceCase88

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 689 posts
  • LocationDenzien of K-Town

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

I like this topic. As Agent of Change said (paraphrasing), "It makes me feel warm so that I want to crawl into it and take a nap." I would like to claim the topic for K-Town when it runs its course. I would also like to claim a good topic about color since we need to decorate it a bit.

Sportsmanship is seriously lacking and so are many of the players' social skills. It is refreshing to see wishes of good luck and to have fun. It should calm all the pasty white kids who are hopped up on energy drinks living in their parents' basement. Life must be frustrating for them. The good sentiment banter should bring a sense of Zen to the match as well as the proverbial GG rubbing vagisil on the hurt feelings.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users