Looking For A Brawler-Type Mech

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

#1 Menthus

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

So I've been playing with my Gausscat for quite some time now and while it's fun, it can also get a little boring. Right now, I'm looking for a mech that is more aimed towards brawling. The problem is that I have no idea what mech to pick. Any suggestions?

Edited by Menthus, 16 April 2013 - 02:19 AM.

#2 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:33 AM

After I de-brawlered my Atlas D-DC only pure brawler build I have is this Cataphract 1X.

It's fast, reliable and packs quite a punch.

(If you want more armor on arms/legs just remove one DHS)

Edited by ssm, 16 April 2013 - 02:36 AM.

#3 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:54 AM

View Postssm, on 16 April 2013 - 02:33 AM, said:

After I de-brawlered my Atlas D-DC

I did the same as it was awful but let's get back on topic...

Yet my most successful brawler build is the STK-5M with 5xSRM6/Art + 2 MPL and I have AMS on it too, I just don't have Smurfy's link at this time. I haven't tested all of the available mech but slowly I progress. To get Elite for my Stalker I plan on getting another one with 6xLL IIRC, I think it's the 3F, but then I will still need a 3rd one, I hate this requirement and would much prefer if they required 2 of the same class instead of 3.

I also have my HBK-4P with 3 ML and 6 SL (tried 9 ML but heat was a problem). This one is fast and agile but I still prefer my STK-5M because when you know how to aim and where to aim all the SRM with Artemis, you can have some real satisfaction.

#4 Royalewithcheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

One of the best brawler builds in the game ATM is your gausscat with gauss replaced by AC/20s, no arms, 6 tons of AC/20 ammo, and 33 points of armor in each leg :angry:

Other than that, brawler DDC (STD350, AC/20, 3xSRM6+A, 2xMLas) is still top of the food chain in close range, and jagerbomb (basically the above K2 build, but with an XL) is also lots of fun.

#5 Carcoona

• Pip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

Personally if Im gonna brawl, I use a Hunchback 4SP. with 5 medium lasers, 2 SRM6's with 5Tonnes of ammo. and Double heatsinks. Mine runs about 89kph with tweak. It can take some decent punishment for a medium mech, and is hard to kill, because it can out maneuver most mechs. I can literally aim backwards with the arm lasers, and have the head laser to keep going if I get both ST removed. Best for striking the back of atlai.

So maybe not a Brawler in the traditional sense, and 1 on 1 straight up with at atlas or stalker you will die. But can brawl anything lighter head to head, and can take on assaults, with abit of standard movement. Also cheap as chips.

The Hunch 4p is good, for a similar role, but i stick with the 9ML on mine. The small lasers, are less heat efficient, and shorter range, so you will actually generate more heat per point of damage in a fight. Just make sure you have double heatsinks, and all upgrades, and pick your fights with the 9ml.
I have 3 fire groups.
1) - 2 ML on arms,
2) - 7 Torso mounted ML including head.
3) - torso mounted lasers on chain fire.

Makes you very versitile, and with 2 Alphas, you can kill most med-heavy mechs, or atleast remove arms etc.

#6 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:58 AM

If you don't mind spending MC, a good brawler that also nets you extra CBills so you can more quickly earn other mechs is the Flame, rocking an AC20, 4 medium lasers and goes 80kph (88 after speed tweak)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2de68156bc40a96

#7 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

My personal opinion here:

The way I look at it, "Brawling" is a combat environment. It is when the sides have fully engaged, most units are inside 300 meters (roughly) and you lose a sense of distinct lines or formations.

You can build a lot of mechs to be successful in that environment; from the big assault that wades in throwing weight of fire to the little spider being a distracting annoyance. The easiest to pull off is the big assault simply because he doesn't really rely on anyone else to do his thing. He can be helped, for sure, but he can survive on his own if he has to.

If that is what you are after, go with an Atlas or Stalker. I don't think the Awesome is as bad as many, but he's not nearly as straight forward as the other two. It's REALLY hard to screw up a Stalker or Atlas. If you want to brawl, don't put on LRMs, avoid ERLarge Lasers (too much heat when you don't need the range) and PPCs (minimum range). Otherwise, load up with the weapons you like and shoot people. There are smart, tactical ways to brawl, but you have to learn them. Fair warning, DDC Atlas are typically primary targets in a fight.

The Cataphract is a good choice if you want something with a bit more speed and maneuverability. Go with the variant that focuses on the weapons you like, don't skimp on your armor, and keep your speed decent. No reason to go 55 kph in a Cataphract when you can do that in a Stalker.

#8 Warchanter

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

92.7kph 4SP w/4ML + 2 (Artemis) SRM6 is tough little guy, I can vouch... maybe not to the point of taking down assaults 1v1 but it can inflict some serious brawling distance headaches via multiple 38 pt alphas... one big bonus is that you're rarely a focused tgt also....

#9 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostKommisar, on 16 April 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

My personal opinion here:

The way I look at it, "Brawling" is a combat environment. It is when the sides have fully engaged, most units are inside 300 meters (roughly) and you lose a sense of distinct lines or formations.

You can build a lot of mechs to be successful in that environment; from the big assault that wades in throwing weight of fire to the little spider being a distracting annoyance. The easiest to pull off is the big assault simply because he doesn't really rely on anyone else to do his thing. He can be helped, for sure, but he can survive on his own if he has to.

If that is what you are after, go with an Atlas or Stalker. I don't think the Awesome is as bad as many, but he's not nearly as straight forward as the other two. It's REALLY hard to screw up a Stalker or Atlas. If you want to brawl, don't put on LRMs, avoid ERLarge Lasers (too much heat when you don't need the range) and PPCs (minimum range). Otherwise, load up with the weapons you like and shoot people. There are smart, tactical ways to brawl, but you have to learn them. Fair warning, DDC Atlas are typically primary targets in a fight.

The Cataphract is a good choice if you want something with a bit more speed and maneuverability. Go with the variant that focuses on the weapons you like, don't skimp on your armor, and keep your speed decent. No reason to go 55 kph in a Cataphract when you can do that in a Stalker.

my phract goes 59kph.... can't afford stalker, so i wouldnt say no reason

any way i highly recommend pusles for brawling, and srm 6s, ac/20 if you can fit it, etc.

#10 Kommisar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Well, okay, economic reasons. ;)

I suppose since most of my mechs are assaults, with my Cataphracts I like to pile on some speed. My Jager is the lightest mech I own. And I am not as squeamish about mounting XL engines as some are.

I am also a fan of the large pulse laser; but can't find any love for the medium pulse laser. Mostly a range thing for me.

#11 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostKommisar, on 16 April 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

Well, okay, economic reasons. ;)

I suppose since most of my mechs are assaults, with my Cataphracts I like to pile on some speed. My Jager is the lightest mech I own. And I am not as squeamish about mounting XL engines as some are.

I am also a fan of the large pulse laser; but can't find any love for the medium pulse laser. Mostly a range thing for me.

lol, also, look at the speed of the stock ctf-4x..... XD

#12 ohtochooseaname

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

I've had good luck with the JM6-A brawler builds. You can load up with XL295 engine, 2 UAC5's (for medium range if you want to take some potshots), 4 SSRM2's (or 2 SRM6's), 2 ML's and plenty of ammo. It has decent dps/burst and diversity.

#13 Fenris Krinkovich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationWestfall, OK

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

+1 for using a 4SP Hunchback up close. I run mine with 5xMLAS, 2xASRM4, STD 250, and all the armor and DHS you can eat; I have three-shotted Stalkers and Awesomes from behind, and once you get it elited the turn speed, twist, and turn radius is liberating compared to the big guys. In the early game, don't be afraid to occasionally reach out to half a kilometer with the MLAS; it's not an optimal use of heat, but you can at least contribute a little suppression. Simple, versatile, effective, and cheap.

#14 Menthus

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the ideas. One question though: people keep saying SRM + Artemis which I find confusing. I thought SRM's were unguided?

#15 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

my ilya w/ 3uac and 3ml's works pretty well...i have solod a few atlai w/ it...im sure you could rig one of the other phracts similarly...uac's also give you good range for the larger maps also...that dakka dakka on chain fire can really keep the enemy pilot rocking...makes it hard to aim at you

View PostMenthus, on 16 April 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Thanks for the ideas. One question though: people keep saying SRM + Artemis which I find confusing. I thought SRM's were unguided?

the artemis lets them converge closer...at certain ranges they will swarm tightly and u can really core out someone w/ em

#16 Wriath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Might I suggest the 733 Highlander, srm's, laser, dakka. Punch stuff, etc.

#17 ElLocoMarko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostMenthus, on 16 April 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Artemis makes the unguided missiles group more tightly. Like a shotgun. But it costs one extra ton and one extra critical slot per launcher. Most people think that it is worth it.

#18 Fenris Krinkovich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationWestfall, OK

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostElLocoMarko, on 16 April 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Artemis makes the unguided missiles group more tightly. Like a shotgun. But it costs one extra ton and one extra critical slot per launcher. Most people think that it is worth it.

Artemis very much raises the effectiveness of SRM's beyond ZOMG HUGZZZ range. When I switch to my non-Artemis Atlas from my ASRM4 Hunchie, firing off SRM6's feels a lot like firing off a confetti cannon.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users