24 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Tell us what you think of the new Champion Dragon!

Champion Mech: Dragon DRG-5N(C)
- Tonnage: 60.
- Engine: 300 XL.
- Top Speed: 81 kph.
- Max Engine Rating: 360.
- Torso Movement:
- 90 degrees to each side.
- 20 degrees up and down.
- Arm Movement:
- 40 degrees to each side.
- 20 degrees up and down.
- Armor: 376 (Ferro-Fibrous).
- Weapons & Equipment:
- Left Arm: Large Laser x2.
- Right Arm: Gauss Rifle.
- Internal Structure: Endo-Steel.
- Hardpoints:
- Left Arm: 2 Energy.
- Center Torso: 1 Missile.
- Right Torso: 1 AMS.
- Right Arm: 3 Ballistic.
- Heat Sinks: 12 Double.
- Jump Jets: n/a.
- ECM Capable?: No.
- Module Slots: 2.
- 10% XP Bonus.

#2 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Arm movement up-down 20 deg. Is this a typo since regular 5N has 30?

#3 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Guess this will just make me actually participate in load out competitions now.

#4 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Much to cheap.

It has a XL engine + 10% xp bonus but costs only 510 MC more than the standard 5N.

On standard mechs the XL engine variants cost atleast +1000 MC compared to non XL.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

View PostWieland, on 16 April 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

Much to cheap.
It has a XL engine + 10% xp bonus but costs only 510 MC more than the standard 5N.
On standard mechs the XL engine variants cost atleast +1000 MC compared to non XL.

Honestly that would scare people from buying it. Especially since it didn't get a unique camo/skin or unique geometry.

#6 Jackie Butters

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

the DRG-5N©[trial] mech was fun, and it showed that a dragon could be dangerous, but as a Champion mech, it's a little under powered sure it has an XL-300, which sure, makes it fast and light, but it also is a very poor -5N chassis design, only one ballistic used of 3, and no missiles, when i was running my -5n, it was with a standard engine, and twin ac2's + an ultra ac5, missiles, and medium lasers, was good,

My opinion is that if you're going to be making champion mechs, don't trust the community of forum warriors to make these mechs, as they will come up with, and vote for, these broken designs.

If you want to milk the system later, how will you make me want to buy another champion dragon? twin ballistic running ac2's...no no...how about a gauss rifle 2 large lasers, and a missile, yeah, the community will pay for that...

getting back on topic, if you're going to be selling mechs, design them yourselves, the hero mechs are all quite good, but the first champion mech, (again, all opinion), is terrible...and i for one, will not be buying one. Both the Fang, and Flame are better in every way, and the regular -5n has much more potential then the "champion" variant you've released.

Sorry guys, but I think this might have been a bad call...especially at 1/2 the cost of a hero...

Edited by Jackie Butters, 16 April 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#7 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostJackie Butters, on 16 April 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

the DRG-5N©[trial] mech was fun, and it showed that a dragon could be dangerous, but as a Champion mech, it's a little under powered sure it has an XL-300, which sure, makes it fast and light, but it also is a very poor -5N chassis design, only one ballistic used of 3, and no missiles, when i was running my -5n, it was with a standard engine, and twin ac2's + an ultra ac5, missiles, and medium lasers, was good,

My opinion is that if you're going to be making champion mechs, don't trust the community of forum warriors to make these mechs, as they will come up with, and vote for, these broken designs.

If you want to milk the system later, how will you make me want to buy another champion dragon? twin ballistic running ac2's...no no...how about a gauss rifle 2 large lasers, and a missile, yeah, the community will pay for that...

getting back on topic, if you're going to be selling mechs, design them yourselves, the hero mechs are all quite good, but the first champion mech, (again, all opinion), is terrible...and i for one, will not be buying one. Both the Fang, and Flame are better in every way, and the regular -5n has much more potential then the "champion" variant you've released.

Sorry guys, but I think this might have been a bad call...especially at 1/2 the cost of a hero...

Yeh, sticking with my Gauss, SRM 6, MedLas build. ;)

#8 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Still see no reason for this type of mech to exist within the economy... sure it's cheaper then a hero mech, but the tangible benefit of increased c-bill earnings offset the pricing. The 'champion' is still more expensive then the normal variant mc wise, it just comes with a more expensive initial load-out of upgrades... which doesn't offset the pretty poor 10% XP boost. I'll just continue to core the buggers using this mech as I have so far.

PS: If you going to make user builds these champions then there should be a reward for having the mech selected for trial/champion purposes... otherwise it's just skimming your 'un-wanted' core playerbase for ideas whilst not listening/taking up others...

#9 Tie Ma

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

it'd probably be a better idea to give the champion a 10-20 cbill boost. and raise the price. people have been wanting boosted standard mechs for along time.

the current package is not very appealing. and probably wont serve the purpose of having people buy stock mechs with MC instead of cbills.

View PostCYBRN4CR, on 16 April 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

Effectively a regular 5N with a 10% mech XP boost for only slightly more MC and an XL engine to boot?

Sure why not. I haven't bought a dragon yet anyway. Plus, I can still customize the loadout and paint it however I like so no biggie. It just means I'll level it slightly faster than before.

not if you already have it leveld. which is another problem with the champion line. theres no reason to buy one once u've masterd a unit. or even already own that unit in the first place.

Edited by Tie Ma, 16 April 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#10 Morang

• 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

In my opinion it's absolutely pointless release. Singling that Dragon out, providing separate tab in mech trees for it... It just looks silly. I'll never bite.

"Champion" mechanics should be implemented other way. Players should be able to assign ANY of their owned mech permanent XP bonus by paying certain amount of MCs. They also can do it right when purchasing a mech. And there should be a reward for purchasing "championed" mech with MCs: if you do this and pay extra MCs for permanent XP bonus simultaneously, you should pay less extra MCs than if you purchase mech with CBs or give XP bonus for already long owned mech. Just an alternative for premium account for mechs particular player loves, not for mechs selected by community. Less hype about "release of "new" Champion mech!1!!", but more convenience and incestive to buy.

I think that idea with refitting of trial mech was good. But I doubt you'll make much money by trying to monetize it in so unnatural way.

Edited by Morang, 17 April 2013 - 12:58 AM.

#11 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

underwhelming! a mere 10% xp boost for a "champion" mech?
at least 10% xp + 10% cbill boost...that would have made it a worthwhile buy

#12 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:42 AM

A new player looking to get into the game with a fully upgraded (practical) mech should do alright with this. The faster XP will also speed up the new player's grind to fill out efficiencies.

I do believe that some improvements can be made, such as the mech having a 30% EXP bonus until XP totaling the cost of all basic efficiencies is earned. After that it drops to 10% EXP and perhaps add 10% C-bills. It's like ultimate convenience. Mech bought, all pimped out, fast basic efficiency grind, and then a steady 10%/10% bonus afterwards.

Having a slight C-bill bonus on these might encourage people who favor these variants to purchase the Champion version too.

Edited by Elizander, 17 April 2013 - 02:49 AM.

#13 Mortenson

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:36 AM

I think it's good. It's a sensibly fitted mech, for only a little more than the base mech in MC. This is a good thing to point new players at - I think the game can use ready to go mechs. I regard the 10% xp bonus as a cherry on top, not the reason to buy this.

Personally I am unlikely to buy one, but I can see their place.

Edited by Mortenson, 17 April 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#14 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

Imho they should have added also a slight 5/10% cbill bonus along to the XP, something like 10+10 and I'm fine if it doesn't have any skin or texture that comes with it to keep the price low.

At least they moved from 5% XP to 10% XP, but it's not enough to convince me to waste MCs on it.

#15 Harman Smith

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Speaking of texture, it doesn't have functionality with the old PC gamer skin like the old DRGN variants.
I know it's been discontinued, but I'd like to know if it was intentional, because I could have gotten my grubby paws on a normal 5N and had it flashy snazzy, like.

#16 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

From the viewpoint of trying to make money, with the super expensive hero mechs, champions are a great idea.

But... from the player's viewpoint... this mech is garbage... It provides no benefit over the stock variant except for the XL and XP boost, which honestly is not all that appealing. At $13 its still too much.

#17 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

Better chance of me buying it, if it had a bonus to c bills instead of exp.

#18 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

I wonder if the XP boost comes with a GXP boost, because that's the only xp really worth the buy.

#19 Karyu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Seems like a cash grab to me...why not just make the Hero's with an XP and CBill boost? Oh...because this way you can hope to sell twice as many overpriced polygons.

#20 Xenok

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationUnited States, Mountian Time Zone

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:47 AM

I can see no reason to buy a mech for an XP boost. A CBill boost makes sense. You can do stuff with CBills but, if you play for any length of time you will end up with all kinds of experience sitting around with nothing to do with it as it is. If you guys want to do these mechs with XP boosts, you need to add about a dozen skills to each mech that are a) Specific to the Mech ;) make a huge difference in game play and c) take some major experience to buy d) are only avalable after getting your master slot. Even then I would sooner have the cbill bonus as it would simply give me things to work towards on my mechs instead of having experience sitting around.

The champion mech concept is a waste of intelectual property IMO.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users