Keep Dying In 3-5 Shots; What Am I Doing Wrong Here?

127 replies to this topic

#101 LockeJaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostLuther Varone, on 27 April 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Posted Image

can someone point out what I'm not doing, or doing wrong here? I've "unlocked" all of these using XP under my pilot tab but they are clearly not applied to my actual 'Mech in game (most notable, I figured, would be the increase in speed/acceleration, among a few others)

As long as that is the tab for your Cataphract, the upgrades have been applied. They're relatively minor tweaks, to represent your pilot getting more familiar with the chassis in question.

The real "upgrade" comes when you unlock all the elite tiers, because aside from the 4 skills, and their individual benefits, you also get a 2x bonus for all the tier 1 skills. That is when I find the bonuses are really noticeable.

#102 Luther Varone

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

crummy system indeed, yeah? I mean it's pretty freaking daunting to have to BUY three different variants of the same 'Mech, gradually unlock its own modules, in order to unlock other tiers. I'd rather just...not

#103 Rykiel

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Thought I'd throw this in there: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...890550a08e09037

That's my personal fun Cataphract build (basically a slightly enhanced version of the classic Marauder), but definitely NOT easy to use. Standard 280 engine, Endo and Ferro, Double Heat Sinks, and near max armor.

#104 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

View PostLuther Varone, on 27 April 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

crummy system indeed, yeah? I mean it's pretty freaking daunting to have to BUY three different variants of the same 'Mech, gradually unlock its own modules, in order to unlock other tiers. I'd rather just...not

the basics are pretty quick to unlock. trust me, after what you've invested in this mech, speed tweak and fast fire will be a boon. the mechs really start to feel good after they get that second tier, speed tweak, fastfire, pinpoint and even quick ignition, are the best upgrades in about that order. some might choose fastfire before speed tweak, but i doubt it.

speed tweak is probably the single best upgrade of ALL the unlocks, especially if you're already happy with how fast your mech moves, then speed tweak allows you to downgrade the engine a little, and still have that speed you like. this gives you back some tonnage to use for weapons, armor or ammo, or all of the above. keep in mind if you go down in engines though you loose a smidge heat efficiency, and also if you get fast fire remember that you'll overheat quicker hehe :P

#105 Luther Varone

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostRykiel, on 27 April 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

Thought I'd throw this in there: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...890550a08e09037

That's my personal fun Cataphract build (basically a slightly enhanced version of the classic Marauder), but definitely NOT easy to use. Standard 280 engine, Endo and Ferro, Double Heat Sinks, and near max armor.

two PPCs and an Autocannon, looks enticing. I might have to try that build out sometime. thanks!

View PostBoPop, on 27 April 2013 - 10:17 PM, said:

the basics are pretty quick to unlock. trust me, after what you've invested in this mech, speed tweak and fast fire will be a boon. the mechs really start to feel good after they get that second tier, speed tweak, fastfire, pinpoint and even quick ignition, are the best upgrades in about that order. some might choose fastfire before speed tweak, but i doubt it.

speed tweak is probably the single best upgrade of ALL the unlocks, especially if you're already happy with how fast your mech moves, then speed tweak allows you to downgrade the engine a little, and still have that speed you like. this gives you back some tonnage to use for weapons, armor or ammo, or all of the above. keep in mind if you go down in engines though you loose a smidge heat efficiency, and also if you get fast fire remember that you'll overheat quicker hehe :P

I definitely understand the significance of the tweaks/upgrades made available, but am I right or wrong in my interpretation that I have to BUY THREE of the variants and upgrade them INDIVIDUALLY as opposed to my main choice loadout?

I'm a bit confoosed here :o

#106 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

yea you have to buy two more variants. i find that if i'm working on one mech, by the time i've saved up enough cash to buy the 2nd mech i've earned enough xp to totally unlock the second tier once i've unlocked all the basics on 3 variants. when you start working on that second one, strip the first one, use it's goods, even strip it's armor if you want, to save cash. at most get double heatsinks on your second mech to make it a little easier, and by the time you've unlocked those basics you wont be too far cash wise frome buying the third. and do the same with that third if you want, strip the second of all it's goods, hand them down to the third and keep saving cash. then that glorious moment will arrive when you've gotten that last basic unlocked on your third variant, you go to the pilot lab and unlock ALL the upgrades on that first mech. :P not to mention that your basics double you'll be surprised how your mech "feels" much smoother and more fun to pilot.

you might be surprised by the other variants too, you might dig them. i found neat little niches for almost all the variants on all the mechs i've mastered. when i say master i mean, i got the module slot, fully mastered 3 ravens 2 spiders 3 centurions 2 jagers and 3 atlas 3 catapult. yep, i'm an ocd gaming nerd. :o

Edited by BoPop, 28 April 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#107 LockeJaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

If you want to unlock elite, and thereby get the 2x bonus to all basic skills once you complete the elite tier... then yeah, you have to buy 3 varients.

Here are mine:

CTF-1X

CTF-2X

CTF-4X

I built them with the following in mind: 1X is my Marauder. =D 2X is my brawler. 4x is my sniper. (AC10's go quite a ways before dropping off totally in damage)

Also, for total overkill:

Boomstick

Yes. 49 rounds of AC20 ammo. Max armor. 5 Medium Lasers. Pray you don't drop on alpine. =P

#108 Luther Varone

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostLockeJaw, on 27 April 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

Also, for total overkill:

Boomstick

Yes. 49 rounds of AC20 ammo. Max armor. 5 Medium Lasers. Pray you don't drop on alpine. =P

I could never last more than 5-10 shots when I had an AC/20. Very tempting though.

As far as the variants are concerned, the only difference between them is hardpoints, right? And when someone says "strip it of the armor, weapons, etc" is there an easy go-to button/option to do this, or are you just referring to manually removing said components from the previous Mech so you don't have to buy more for the next?

#109 LockeJaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

Manually removing. It may seem like a hassle, but until there is a Strip Weapons option, I'd rather keep it this way than going for a Naked Chassis button. Main reason: adding armor is a PITA.

As for only getting 5-10 shots off w/ the ac20, here are some tips:

1) Take the long range shots. The ac20 has a max range of 810m.

2 ) Practise leading targets. Lights love to do strafing runs. End their fun.

3 ) Keep firing. I keep my arm lasers on a seperate group from the torso mounted lasers, and the ac20 on a thumb switch. Hold down the button until what ever was in front of you... isn't.

4 ) You're a brawler. You're not THE brawler. The atlas has that job. Wait for your Assaults to engage, then play peekaboF*CKYOU with your 45 point alpha.

5 ) Do not lead the charge on Assault. Heavies are great for flanking on assault and conquest, but if you want to walk into the teeth of the enemy... buy an atlas.

6 ) Keep firing.

7-9 ) Continue firing.

10 ) be happy when you finally run out of ac20 ammo.

#110 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostBoPop, on 27 April 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

yea you have to buy two more variants. i find that if i'm working on one mech, by the time i've saved up enough cash to buy the 2nd mech i've earned enough xp to totally unlock the second tier once i've unlocked all the basics on 3 variants.

This is by design...there is an option to convert Mech XP to Game XP using (try to contain your shock) MC points.

So for a small (ahem) fee, you can bypass the GXP grind and just use your massive Mech XP to Elite immediately.

I don't really have a problem with this personally. The fee for conversion is very reasonable (I think it comes to $3 or $4 for 20,000 points). And if you do not want to pay the fee, you can get it anyway via grinding.

#111 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostLockeJaw, on 28 April 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

Practise leading targets. Lights love to do strafing runs. End their fun.

Heh, I remember one time on Forest Colony I had a Raven scout that thought he was going to circle strafe my dual AC/20 Jagermech. I one-shotted him and he melted. It is the most awesome kill I have had to date. It looked really cool.

Speed and ECM are no guarantee you cannot be hit.

5 ) Do not lead the charge on Assault. Heavies are great for flanking on assault and conquest, but if you want to walk into the teeth of the enemy... buy an atlas.

This.

I had a bad habit of doing this. I still fall into this habit even now sometimes and it gets me killed quick.

#112 Luther Varone

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:31 PM

Manually removing. It may seem like a hassle, but until there is a Strip Weapons option, I'd rather keep it this way than going for a Naked Chassis button. Main reason: adding armor is a PITA.

As for only getting 5-10 shots off w/ the ac20, here are some tips:

1) Take the long range shots. The ac20 has a max range of 810m.

2 ) Practise leading targets. Lights love to do strafing runs. End their fun.

3 ) Keep firing. I keep my arm lasers on a seperate group from the torso mounted lasers, and the ac20 on a thumb switch. Hold down the button until what ever was in front of you... isn't.

4 ) You're a brawler. You're not THE brawler. The atlas has that job. Wait for your Assaults to engage, then play peekaboF*CKYOU with your 45 point alpha.

6 ) Keep firing.

7-9 ) Continue firing.

10 ) be happy when you finally run out of ac20 ammo.

great advice, thank you!

when I get a little better at this game and perhaps purchase my second [or third] variant, I'll definitely give the AC/20 another shot, and take under consideration your tips

#113 NinetyProof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostLuther Varone, on 18 April 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

I'm definitely keeping the ER PPC,

Stop ... saying ... this.

Until you understand the game, stop being stubborn. Yes, ER PPC is better then PPC for new players cause new players can't deal with < 90m defense, but it's terrible on Heat. New players don't handle heat well ... better to run a more balanced Mech to learn, then when you *get better*, you can always put the ER PPC's back.

On page 2(?) there was a build with an AC20 + 5 Medium Lasers ... take that build, go pretty much max armor with a 300 engine.

Learn the Game first, before you get all stubborn. PPC's / ER PPC's are not newbie friendly weapons ... drop them for now, and you might have to drop ballistics too if your not good at leading aim for the ballistics, then being on target for the laser, then being off target for the ballistic, then back on target again.

Again ... learn the game first with newbie friendly, but effective, weapons. Not going to read anymore, cause it's not worth the teaching you the game when your being this stubborn about a basic aspect ... you were going to quit ... so it can't hurt to just do what we are telling you to.

Stick with the builds on this page, try the "laser" oriented builds first, then, after you master them, try the Ballistic builds, then after you master those, try the PPC builds. (talking about a variety of chassis and not just the 1x, as that is not even a chassis listed on that page, but you will get the picture with those builds).

http://mwomercs.com/...e-mech-designs/

#114 Troggy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

View PostNinetyProof, on 01 May 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

Until you understand the game, stop being stubborn. Yes, ER PPC is better then PPC for new players cause new players can't deal with < 90m defense, but it's terrible on Heat. New players don't handle heat well ... better to run a more balanced Mech to learn, then when you *get better*, you can always put the ER PPC's back.

On page 2(?) there was a build with an AC20 + 5 Medium Lasers ... take that build, go pretty much max armor with a 300 engine.

Learn the Game first, before you get all stubborn. PPC's / ER PPC's are not newbie friendly weapons ... drop them for now, and you might have to drop ballistics too if your not good at leading aim for the ballistics, then being on target for the laser, then being off target for the ballistic, then back on target again.

Again ... learn the game first with newbie friendly, but effective, weapons. Not going to read anymore, cause it's not worth the teaching you the game when your being this stubborn about a basic aspect ... you were going to quit ... so it can't hurt to just do what we are telling you to.

Stick with the builds on this page, try the "laser" oriented builds first, then, after you master them, try the Ballistic builds, then after you master those, try the PPC builds. (talking about a variety of chassis and not just the 1x, as that is not even a chassis listed on that page, but you will get the picture with those builds).

This ^

--
Troggy

#115 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostLuther Varone, on 19 April 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

just finished one of the few games where I'm still standing...I got 1 kill and 3 assists, most of my team remained. Despite my PPC being destroyed about 2min before the game ended, I still chipped in to the death of an Atlas. I know, I know, it was probably 80% my team's contribution, but I think the Endo-Steel structure already is showing some help in my endurance. eh? Or am I just high on myself? but yeah, something to back up those Medium Lasers (or more) would be nice...

Nonononono... remember, when you WIN, it is because you are awesome. When you LOSE, it's because your teammates sucked. Get with the program :huh:

#116 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostNinetyProof, on 01 May 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

imo you are ready to use er ppcs when its not the loss of minimum range that you want, but, well, i let you find out for yourself, if you truly have a use for them, you will sure enough know if they are 4 you

#117 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostDegeneratePervert, on 16 April 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

CTF-1X

Here you go man. It's the 1x Build I use all the time, it's very, very effective.

That's a solid close range build. I'd suggest this given your current build. It'll give you some range and then a big punch while maintaining armor at a minor cost of speed.

Just FYI the Cataphract is a brawling heavy built for close range engagements. Given it's size not packing armor on it is a HUGE mistake.

#118 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

I don't know if this was pointed out, but a faster engine does increase your torso twist speed as well. Not that it makes a world of difference unless it's a sizeable increase.

As for the hunchback recommendation, grinding out the efficiencies on those will be easier because the chassis aren't near as expensive. You can keep your cataphract, work on hunchies, then come back the the phract later if you want.

I tend to think of the medium laser as the "de facto" weapon to compare everything else to. It's good with any build on any mech, especially multiple of them.

Edit: Oh, and your question about pulse vs regular. I lean towards regular lasers most of the time. I just don't think pulse lasers are that much better for the added heat. But I think it's more a personal preference. I have had good success with large pulse lasers.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 01 May 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#119 NinetyProof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 01 May 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

imo you are ready to use er ppcs when its not the loss of minimum range that you want, but, well, i let you find out for yourself, if you truly have a use for them, you will sure enough know if they are 4 you
The point was: The OP needs to not use PPC at all based upon the statements / questions he is asking.

Yes, ER PPC's have a longer Range, but that is generally not why you recommend them to newbies ... you recommend them to newbies cause they are wanting to boat ONLY PPC's and then wonder why people face hug them and they continually die.

#120 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

View PostNinetyProof, on 01 May 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

The point was: The OP needs to not use PPC at all based upon the statements / questions he is asking.

Yes, ER PPC's have a longer Range, but that is generally not why you recommend them to newbies ... you recommend them to newbies cause they are wanting to boat ONLY PPC's and then wonder why people face hug them and they continually die.

hence me saying he will need more experience with ppcs and what they are best at to use and truly appreciate er ppcs, and therefore he shouldn't use them considering his intended purpose, if he felt a need for the longer range, which he didn't, then he should get ers

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users