Names For Mechs

30 replies to this topic

#1 IlmariArtificer

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

While I was looking at different mechs (and messing up) I wondered what names would be appropriate?
After some reading, I do realize not all mechs are necessarily 100% lore appropriate, but most people are going to get the mech they want before thinking of following the lore to the letter.

For Atlas mechs, Jötunn and the names of individual Jötunn should fit. Antero Vipunen from the Kalevala could work as might Iku-Turso.
With the Catapult, various cat related words come to mind.
For the Catapult-K2 names like Stjärna(/Stjaerna) and Ljus (Star and Light in Swedish) might fit.
(Incidentally, I tried naming mine Tähti [Star in Finnish], but the Ä symbol didn't work. Went with Star, only to realize in the morning that Valo [Light in Finnish] would have worked. Oh well, here's hoping re-naming will be allowed)
For Dragons there's Níðhöggr, Jörmungandr and Fáfnir.
For Ravens, Huginn and Muginn are natural fits.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Edited by IlmariArtificer, 18 April 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#2 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

you also have the 4 wolves, Fenrir Garm, Sköll, and Hati Hróðvitnisson, they could be good for a fast cataphract or awesome. Thor would make a good pop-tart Highlander name.
My ctf-1X is named vanguard but if I had more room it would be Vanguard of Ragnarok. Its what it says in red runes (kind of) on him in my sig although you cant really see it.
I used Ratatoskr and Veðrfölnir on my cicadas, the squirrel seems like it would run around all the time and i run Veðrfölnir as a sniper.
Another cool giant name is Móðguðr, guards the bridge to Hel.
I also just use whatever Anglicized name fits/sounds the best for all of them, and they have said name changes are coming

Edited by joedawg39s, 17 April 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#3 IlmariArtificer

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:18 AM

View Postjoedawg39s, on 17 April 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

(A)nd they have said name changes are coming

Cool, any mention when?

#4 ValdnadHartagga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationA contested planet

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

I name my 'Mechs in the flavor of a Drac-hating Republic citizen. The second part of the name usually has something to do with the 'Mech's loadout.

I have:
Drac Seeker (Cat C4: BAP, TAG, sensor/target modules, LRM15s, SSRM2s - it WILL find you!)
Drac Stinger (Cat A1: LRM5s and SSRM2s)
Drac Striker (Cat K2)
Drac Eater (DRG with Phranken camo spec - it's got teeth)
Drac Smasher (STK with PPCs)
Drac Vaper (i.e., "Vaporizer" - STK with MLs and SRM6s)

Funnily, I haven't come up with a good name for my FounderCat yet. And I'm saving up for a Highlander (maybe Drac Entomber - it'll bury ya!) and JagerMech (Drac Ventilator?).

As to renaming, I imagine it's not very high priority. Might not see until launch/CW.

Edited by ValdnadHartagga, 18 April 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#5 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostIlmariArtificer, on 18 April 2013 - 04:18 AM, said:

Cool, any mention when?

It will come with UI 2.0, so summer maybe,
http://mwomercs.com/...dated-april-17/ (<- really good thread)

#6 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

View Postjoedawg39s, on 17 April 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

...and they have said name changes are coming

Good, because I was naming my first mech and thought, "You mean I have to name it NOW? OK, I'll fill in the blank, and I can always change the name when I come up with something cool, right?"

So, I named it Spot. ...then realized I couldn't change it later. :D

#7 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Since I was going to buy a Catapult K2, I did a search for "Norse word for lightning".

On Yahoo Answers, they were also seeking the old Norse word for thunder, and had this answer:
"Þrymja is one word for thunder. It literally means rave, so it's describing the sound of thunder.
Þórr means thunder. It's also the old Norse spelling for Thor.
Þórdyn Thor + dyn which is yet another word with the same meaning as Þrymja. In this case Þór describes Thor, so it's something like Thor's rave -> Thunder.
Þrumði I think this version only appears in one source, but it has the same meaning as well.

As for a word meaning lightning, I'm not sure. The modern words in the Nordic languages are lyn, blixt and elding."

Edit: I did a few more searches, and when I searched "Icelandic for lightning" I found "Eldingar".
That's the name of my new CPLT-K2. :D

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 20 April 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#8 IlmariArtificer

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 19 April 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

*Snip*

Neat. That reminds me, Blixt and Salama (lightning in Swedish and Finnish) are good names for CPLT-K2's and other mechs that use a lot of Energy weapons. As would Åska and Ukkonen (Thunder in Sw. and Fin.)

Ukko would also be a fine name. I had another name here, but apparently PGI is considers it to be a swear word, which I guess it technically is.

Hakkapeliitta should fit light mechs that hit fast and hit hard.

Edited by IlmariArtificer, 20 April 2013 - 02:55 AM.

#9 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:31 AM

Let's see..

Theres my Atlas D-DC: Littleman
My Highlanders: Claymore, McCloud, and Goombastompa
Dragons: Cockblaster, Alexstrasza
Jager: Thorscock
Spider: Webamater

I think these are good names.

#10 IlmariArtificer

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

Well, I was thinking more about names that are lore/culture appropriate.

#11 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostIlmariArtificer, on 20 April 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:

Well, I was thinking more about names that are lore/culture appropriate.

I assure you these were all made while under considerable influence of alcohol, which is pretty close to canon if you ask me.

#12 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

With a few exceptions, I've kept to either the names of my ancestor's deities, or just Norse words that fit. By way of example, I've had a mech named Freyja, and if I ever buy a Raven I'll name it Hrafn.

View PostVhetra, on 24 April 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

I assure you these were all made while under considerable influence of alcohol, which is pretty close to canon if you ask me.

Er-a svá gótt
sem gótt kveða
öl alda sona,
því at færa veit,
er fleira drekkr
síns til geðs gumi.

Edited by Kargush, 24 April 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#13 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

The Devs have said that, eventually, they want your mech's name to be visible to others. I imagine once that happens, there will be entire FRR dropships full of Atlases named "Odin", packs of Ravens named "Huginn" and "Munin", and regiments of mechs bearing all sorts of Google-translated nordic words.

Not that that's a bad thing, I guess, just that it's going to be hard to find names in that area that dozens of other folks aren't already using. Personally, I try to take names from more subtle themes. With my name derived from Johann Maelzel, (who fooled the world with an "automatic" chess-playing machine) I use chess terminology for mine.

Edited by Malzel, 24 April 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#14 IlmariArtificer

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostMalzel, on 24 April 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

The Devs have said that, eventually, they want your mech's name to be visible to others. I imagine once that happens, there will be entire FRR dropships full of Atlases named "Odin", packs of Ravens named "Huginn" and "Munin", and regiments of mechs bearing all sorts of Google-translated nordic words.

Indeed. A part of me wonders if this thread is more of a detriment than a helping hand.
Then again, if someone wants to check their spelling or grammar, a thread like this might prove useful. Plus wikipedia links tend to lead to various obscure or unrelated subjects that can be used.

Not that that's a bad thing, I guess, just that it's going to be hard to find names in that area that dozens of other folks aren't already using. Personally, I try to take names from more subtle themes. With my name derived from Johann Maelzel, (who fooled the world with an "automatic" chess-playing machine) I use chess terminology for mine.

Interesting, I remember reading an article about the person about a year or so ago.

#15 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

In the interest of cat-related names (especially for Catapults), I found that the Norse name for the (large domestic) forest cat is "skogkatt". The Norse word for lynx is "lo"...Not a very exotic word, but the Eurasian Lynx (lynx lynx) is the biggest cat in that part of the world. (I know 3 of them personally, from when I lived in Florida.) Apparently their population is stable in Norway, and growing in Finland. The population is decreasing in Sweden, where people are allowed to hunt them. I consider this a fail.

EDIT: Today I found another norse word for lynx: Gaupa or "stare". I suppose lynxes are often seen staring into the distance.

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 15 May 2013 - 06:37 AM.

#16 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

If we can get my fellow Americans to learn foreign words besides "cerveza" and "me gusta", I think that's a win. :(

#17 bashpr0mpt

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostIlmariArtificer, on 17 April 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Oh well, here's hoping re-naming will be allowed)

You do realize that no one sees these names except you right? I'm sure you can live with the name. And I'm sure renaming will be made available if you ask, the devs will only add things they can see themselves charging a ridiculous amount of M$ points for.

Uh, I mean MC.

Sorry, I get the two confused considering both are digital currencies used by Micro$oft to try and detach the consumer from the actual reality of currency using a psychology trick to cause you to spend less responsibly as it isn't as 'real' to you as a consumer.

#18 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

The Devs have said that, eventually, they want your mech's name to be visible to others.

UI 2.0 will provide the ability to rename mechs, and from the mock-ups posted, it doesn't look like there will be any cost involved.

#19 KableGuy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 229 posts
  • LocationThe left armpit of the United states

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostIlmariArtificer, on 18 April 2013 - 04:18 AM, said:

Cool, any mention when?

UI 2.0, Time frame will be announced here

#20 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Heh, when renaming becomes available, I think I'll change my catapult to "Laalavat jouset" unless it's too long or something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users