43 replies to this topic

#21 Timuroslav

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 672 posts
  • Location米国のネバダ州のリノで住んでいます。

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Stock Awesome 9M Cycle the PPC's on their left torso or just Out snipe them. They end up Regretting Charging you, with only 2 Close Range Weapons.

and if you get in a pinch in Close quarters combat.

Just Run away.

The 9M is like a sprinter compared to the lumbering "Big Brother" Highlander

Edited by Timuroslav, 19 April 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#22 Tenpin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

A RVN-4x with dual PPC that sneaks or gets up behind him because everyone ignores you.

Wait for him to jump and get 3 alphas into his back before he even lands.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Spiders. They kill everything from Hunchbacks....
Posted Image

....to Highlanders....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Highlanders can't aim at anything as short as a Spider under 30 meters. Stand right next to him, he can't do anything.

"The Highlander appears to be virtually defenseless against an ECM spider." (Source).

#24 Fishbulb333

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

+1 for spiders... Been running my 5d almost exclusively this week, and in a straight 1 on 1 I can take down a highlander pretty much every time, only problem being the time it takes to do so, unless they're running low/stock rear armour - then it's just ridiculously easy...

#25 MuonNeutrino

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Best highlander counter I've found so far is to take my cheeseraven and go cap stuff. If they stay put and continue poptarting they lose either to cap or to resources, if some of their team splits off it becomes easier to defeat them in detail, and if the poptarts themselves try to respond they generally expose themselves due to their usually slow movement. Sure, not as satisfying as blowing them up yourself, but there *is* a certain poetry in using your enemy's weaknesses and predictability against them to win without firing a shot.

#26 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

View Postanfadern, on 19 April 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

Which mech is the best highlanderkiller?

Stalkers are the mech that gives me the most problems. I have only faced them with HM so far though.

View PostFishbulb333, on 19 April 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

+1 for spiders... Been running my 5d almost exclusively this week, and in a straight 1 on 1 I can take down a highlander pretty much every time, only problem being the time it takes to do so, unless they're running low/stock rear armour - then it's just ridiculously easy...

I eat Spiders for breakfast. They are not even a speed bump. 3 large lasers in my left arm tears through them like tissue paper.

View PostKoniving, on 19 April 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Highlanders can't aim at anything as short as a Spider under 30 meters. Stand right next to him, he can't do anything.

That would work really well if Highlanders did not have jump jets.

Posted Image

....to Highlanders....
Posted Image

Posted Image

"The Highlander appears to be virtually defenseless against an ECM spider." (Source).

Also...I have got to know how you are getting your video to look like that. That is an awesome effect.

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 19 April 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#27 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 19 April 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

Also...I have got to know how you are getting your video to look like that. That is an awesome effect.

Thank you. Honestly I have done nothing to these pictures. Totally untouched, unedited. Those explosions and sparks are from my streaks (I'm in a camera commando). Lordred's shots are edited, but those are my own. Check out Lordred's stuff here as well as more of my own on the "Perfect Screenshot" thread. Oh and if you haven't seen it yet, animated pictures here in the Something Wicked This Way Comes thread.

Btw. Highlanders can't aim down within 30 meters with anything but the arms, and the arms... can't see where they are pointing. JJ's are in side torsos, CT, and legs usually. Honestly most have weak legs. Go for them.

Edited by Koniving, 19 April 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#28 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 April 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Btw. Highlanders can't aim down within 30 meters with anything but the arms, and the arms... can't see where they are pointing. JJ's are in side torsos, CT, and legs usually. Honestly most have weak legs. Go for them.

Heavy Metal has all direct fire weapons in arms, not torso. And yes, I have used them against close range spiders before. Gauss is hard to tag them with, but washing them with 3 large lasers takes little effort and send them running (or in a crumpled smoking heap at my feet heh heh). I can use LL at point blank.

If you mean standing directly next to me...I have yet to see a Spider pilot that can stay there if I am moving. Especially if I am jumping. So the only way that would work is if the Highlander Pilot was immobilized (legged, or a green player).

#29 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 19 April 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

If you mean standing directly next to me...I have yet to see a Spider pilot that can stay there if I am moving. Especially if I am jumping. So the only way that would work is if the Highlander Pilot was immobilized (legged, or a green player).

I technically don't count the Heavy Metal as a Highlander. >.>; I know, sad, considering I am a Heavy Metal owner.
Also, brawler builds often sacrifice jumping for more ammo / heatsinks. Such as the 733C with the twin UAC/5. One now runs the top of the leaderboards, piloted by Lordred.

Edited by Koniving, 19 April 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#30 Tuku

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

As a highlander pilot who dose not poptart exclusively (I prefer to get in close but am not above jump sniping with my gauss at the start of a match before the brawl begins. ) I would say a good highlander pilot with support could hold his own agianst a light for at least long enough for a friendly light to come scrape the enemy light off.

Given my build (Gauss, 2 mlas, 4srm6) id say an atlas 1v1 with good aim could take me down quick....Atlas RS would be best in this application because the arms can track a constantly jumping highlander better and the ability to run 4ll in the arms dose not hurt either.

AC20 Jager works too ...also Leg a highlander and it takes longer to start moving when it lands on top of it being easier since it always takes leg dmg if they are jumpjetting.

#31 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 April 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

I technically don't count the Heavy Metal as a Highlander. >.>; I know, sad, considering I am a Heavy Metal owner.
Also, brawler builds often sacrifice jumping for more ammo / heatsinks. Such as the 733C with the twin UAC/5. One now runs the top of the leaderboards, piloted by Lordred.

Tonight will be my first experience with non-HM highlanders. We will see how it goes. I really want that AC/20 one.

To be honest, I have not even had problems with Spiders on my builds where I don't use JJ. Maybe it is because they are not very skilled...but I can evade them fairly easily. Backing up + turning puts them in my FoV, and I nail them with lasers.

Of all the light mechs, they are actually the easiest to kill IMO. Their armor seems really weak. But they are awesome for spotting and capping I imagine.

#32 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 19 April 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

Of all the light mechs, they are actually the easiest to kill IMO. Their armor seems really weak. But they are awesome for spotting and capping I imagine.

Wait til you play in a [cbill] Highlander. Compared to the Heavy Metal, there's a huge difference.

#33 McQuackers

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Anything with pinpoint damage. Just whack away at their RT to remove all their teeth.

With the exception of the Heavy Metal, Highlanders have nothing but missiles on their LT and LA.

All their heavy firepower is stored in RT and RA.

#34 Byk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Playing a Highlander I've noticed I've had particular trouble against light mechs, due to only having chest mounted lasers. But it's only a matter of time before I hit you with my AC/20 while you're circling me. So don't circle too long.

#35 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostKlaus, on 19 April 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

I would say a Stalker 3F with all L Lasers, maybe a few ER. That or 6 PPCs.

It has more fire power than a poptart highlander. It also can take more of a beating usually because of the way the body is designed, making damage spread to your side torso's easier. Just make sure you have coolant and good aim.

^This.

Currently a 6 LL 3F is THE solution against pretty much anything!

#36 anfadern

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 270 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Posted Image

....to Highlanders....
Posted Image

Posted Image

I haven't played any spiders so far. I have had this thing for the Ravens but I might reconsider using an ECM Spider instead.

Edited by anfadern, 19 April 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#37 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Just about any mech can kill a Highlander. You people do realize it's the archer, not the arrow, right?

#38 anfadern

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 270 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostMuonNeutrino, on 19 April 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Best highlander counter I've found so far is to take my cheeseraven and go cap stuff. If they stay put and continue poptarting they lose either to cap or to resources, if some of their team splits off it becomes easier to defeat them in detail, and if the poptarts themselves try to respond they generally expose themselves due to their usually slow movement. Sure, not as satisfying as blowing them up yourself, but there *is* a certain poetry in using your enemy's weaknesses and predictability against them to win without firing a shot.

I am well aware of this but I am one of those that aren't all that fond of the fast cap competition...
When they are all by themself they are easy targets for any fast mech.

I absolutelly agree that there is a:

"certain poetry in using your enemy's weaknesses and predictability against them to win"

#39 ivr56

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

I found my Dragon can easily solo Highlanders.

#40 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hexappc stalker that can Aim

Atlas within 270 meters

Multiple light mechs

View Postivr56, on 19 April 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

I found my Dragon can easily solo Highlanders.

you are fighting ****** highlanders, or are the best pilot in MWO

which is moar likely?

Edited by LordBraxton, 19 April 2013 - 04:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users