Is It Good At All?

61 replies to this topic

#21 Major Bill Curtis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Andurien

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

View PostTarball, on 19 April 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Here is my response to your silly questions. Go play a few rounds and answer your own questions. Duh.

I had thought of that, but given that I'd be a complete noob, I'd expect to be a very poor player for quite a while, so I'd likely have no idea about game balance, etc.

Thanks for your somewhat goofy and anti-social contribution nonetheless.

There have been many good points made here, particularly Ranek's and Biscuit's; Ranek almost had me convinced. It was an excellent effort, I'd say, and I appreciate that.

Likely I'll stop back in a few months from now and see how things are; (as I said, at this time, it's not for me).

Cheers.

#22 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostChris Morris, on 19 April 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Yeah, it is a lot of fun. Don't worry about what other players are doing and just try different builds and enjoy it. Perfect balance only occurs in games like checkers or chess, balance is always going to fluctuate with patches and the flavor of the week builds and mechs.

Excellent gameplay to be had here. There is plenty to do and mess around with here. You are going to lose, you are going to win some. Sometimes there will be nasty bugs too. But I make my own fun, and it is not that hard here.

This is a very unrealistic post

Build whatever you want!

Then have fun getting 2-shotted by people like me with min\maxed alpha builds!

Please, you are helping keep my highlanders kdr above 4.0!

#23 IdolElite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA, Terra

I thoroughly enjoy this game. Occasionally you'll have the rounds where you get killed by cheap tactics or they turn in to cap wars or you never accomplish missile lock because of ECM. However, those rounds are far less than the rounds where you get in your Mech that you built in the way that you want and you blow up other Mechs. It's just good Mech fun. And the folks that think it's ruined by the little stuff are just being too picky of a game that's not finished yet. The core experience is fun.

#24 Steel Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 665 posts
  • LocationKansas

View PostB1SCUIT, on 19 April 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

That's the problem.When people bought into founder's packs,we were promised a "thinking man's tactical shooter".not just another CoD in mechs.

I really don't understand what all the hate is about for ECM. The only thing it really affected were LRMs and streaks. If you base a mech totally on that your a fool. The only big mech trhat has ECM is the Atlas DDC. It is of questionable advantage to a DDC at best. All the rest of the mechs that have it are 40 tons or less that die quite easily now with state rewind. You can kill or leg these mechs with one shot many times. Small mechs are finding that brawling with larger mechs is an unhealthy proposition.

Like many I fail to see what all the fuss is about. Even if the mech has ECM you can still shoot them with energy and ballistic weapons as well as SRMs. If your boating weapons affected by ECM then you have no one to blame but youyrself. You choose what weapons to load - think ahead.

Edited by Steel Claws, 19 April 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#25 Ranek Blackstone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostSteel Claws, on 19 April 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

I really don't understand what all the hate is about for ECM. The only thing it really affected were LRMs and streaks. If you base a mech totally on that your a fool. The only big mech trhat has ECM is the Atlas DDC. It is of questionable advantage to a DDC at best. All the rest of the mechs that have it are 40 tons or less that die quite easily now with state rewind. You can kill or leg these mechs with one shot many times. Small mechs are finding that brawling with larger mechs is an unhealthy proposition.

Like many I fail to see what all the fuss is about. Even if the mech has ECM you can still shoot them with energy and ballistic weapons as well as SRMs. If your boating weapons affected by ECM then you have no one to blame but youyrself. You choose what weapons to load - think ahead.

Quoted for truth. My favorite mechs don't even HAVE missile hardpoints

#26 FamineXv

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

go back to table top than? I mean I understand the gripes, but you will never have a perfect transition, and quite frankly your playing a beta. Maybe the longest beta ever, but it's still a beta, nothing more, nothing less. You forget that the game will actually be "released" at some point in time, and well, the point of a beta is to test aspects of the game to make sure that the launch is great. So it's going to get stale, but they are working on it, bringing out new content and what not, and yea, table top is a lot more tactic than anything, but that's becuase it was designed for it. There is tactics in MWO, but you need to find a lance or group to roll with and come up with your own. Poptarts and snipers is what people enjoy playing becuase it get's results, but you can counter those simply enough by utilizing cover and using flanking tactics with your team. Give it sometime. Let them work on it. who knows, it may turn into a great game, or it may just die down. but all we have is time. and no other people currently developing a MW game at this point in time. Want strategy btech universe or go to your local hobby store and get involved.

#27 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostMajor Bill Curtis, on 19 April 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

Finally I have a computer that can handle MW:O, so I came looking to see what's up.

Here's what I find:

1) ECM is not only broken, but the devs are not listening to feedback about it in any real sense.

Yeah not with just ECM. Theyre not listening to the ppl on the forums much at all anymore. We're too small a % to care about

View PostRanek Blackstone, on 19 April 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Quoted for truth. My favorite mechs don't even HAVE missile hardpoints

Quoted for truth. When it doesnt affect you because you dont use LRMs, its balanced. Kind of why I think this problem exists at all. Do the devs even USE LRMs?

#28 Steel Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 665 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 19 April 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

Yeah not with just ECM. Theyre not listening to the ppl on the forums much at all anymore. We're too small a % to care about

Quoted for truth. When it doesnt affect you because you dont use LRMs, its balanced. Kind of why I think this problem exists at all. Do the devs even USE LRMs?

I use LRMs and it isn't that big of a deal for me. Thats what tag is for.

#29 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostSteel Claws, on 19 April 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

For those times when you spot the ECM mech coming straight at you across an open plain, and want to get a volley or two out before they make your missiles completely useless?

#30 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostSteel Claws, on 19 April 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

For your LRMs doing marshmellow like damage since the "temporary" missile fix that even in ask the devs they dont have an answer to when it will in fact be proved to actually BE temporary and not perminant? For that?

#31 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 19 April 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

For your LRMs doing marshmellow like damage since the "temporary" missile fix that even in ask the devs they dont have an answer to when it will in fact be proved to actually BE temporary and not perminant? For that?

I think they said sometime next month there will be a "more permanent" solution. If history is any indication it will be a token buff along the lines of what machineguns got... okay, maybe a bit better than that.

#32 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostSephlock, on 19 April 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

I think they said sometime next month there will be a "more permanent" solution. If history is any indication it will be a token buff along the lines of what machineguns got... okay, maybe a bit better than that.

the last thing I saw was the ask a devs thing and it says essentially they dont know

CCQ4: When will the temporary missile fix be adjusted?
A: We don’t have an ETA yet. Missiles are being actively tuned.

http://mwomercs.com/...evs-36-answers/

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 19 April 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#33 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostThontor, on 19 April 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

Many of the complainers on these forums play the game a lot... that tells you something.

Yeah cause the ones that dont just leave and dont tell anyone. Is that better?

#34 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

I agree with the people saying 'try it yourself.' It costs you nothing to hop into it for a weekend and decide. With the newbie matches pay you can even afford a real mech in relatively little time.

#35 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

It seems to have gone from bad to worse.

Since closed beta, the departure MWO has taken from MechaWarrior and Battletech is huge.

If I could get a full refund for my Founder's package and MC purchased, I'd uninstall the game and never look back.

#36 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Makes me smile. I just got a decent computer, its good enough to read the forums and decide I dont want to play. Heck man, you could have done that with your old computer. lol.

I think the game play itself is rather fun, but it needs a bit of a reason to be fighting all the time.

#37 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Its free to play, give it a try and if you dont like it dont spend any cash. Be thankful you can test it out first.

#38 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

We have to be realistic, modify the idea so that it more closely resembles something PGI would actually do.. maybe something that follows current trends...

I KNOW! Have all 3 variants of the new mech be hero mechs!

#39 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

View PostKaijin, on 19 April 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

It seems to have gone from bad to worse.

Since closed beta, the departure MWO has taken from MechaWarrior and Battletech is huge.

If I could get a full refund for my Founder's package and MC purchased, I'd uninstall the game and never look back.

I tried to but because the game went ob while I was trying (and while I was out of communication at a funeral out of state and internet area) I got refused

View PostViper69, on 19 April 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

Its free to play, give it a try and if you dont like it dont spend any cash. Be thankful you can test it out first.

lol; it may be a crap sandwich; but its a FREE crap sandwich

#40 TheForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

for me it isn't good because i'm a fan of the lore. for me it looks like MechWarrior, but it feels like GenericRobotWarrior.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users