Ask The Devs 36 - Answers!

283 replies to this topic

#141 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 21 April 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

I've heard about the 3 second Jenner. I would actually like to know what that build is and why was it a threat? Was it simply not counterable? Could you not leg this Jenner effectively? Was this "3 Second Jenner" a threat to the true 2.0 DHS system altogether?

Everybody wants to know what build the 3-second Jenner was - just like everyone now wants to know what build the 6 MG Spider is.

They were both smokescreens put up by the devs as excuses; the 3-second Jenner famously was the reason out-of-engine DHS couldn't be 2.0 - because then a Jenner could core an Atlas in 3 seconds. Now the 6 MG Spider is the reason MGs can't be buffed - because then a 6 MG Spider could do "devastating effects" to the back armour of an Atlas.

In other words, they're mythological; just bad excuses the devs have given us. And we like to rub their noses in it from time to time, just so they know we know they're making up bad excuses.

Edited by stjobe, 21 April 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#142 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

My more serious point is this:

If people keep saying that MGs are fine, what are the "alternatives" to making the Spider-5K viable in the current version of the game? As I said in the MG thread, I stopped trying to argue Cicada-3C as you can certainly work around that by using a different variant (Cicada-2B is OK) and you can use semblance of a different build on a Raven-4X (I did try 2 meds + 1 LBX10 with mixed success). I have a hard time trying to find one for the Spider-5K that is "usable" without making many different sacrifices.

I like options, but limiting them w/o providing an alternative is not a way to BALANCE the game. I bet most deaths are not MG related... in fact MG ammo is a bigger death trap than most other ammo in the game and people don't seem to notice that. For providing this "crit-dishing service", it can be difficult to consume the ammo at the same rate most other ammo is consumed... it's a sad "death trap".

But please... someone show us a good Spider-5K... because it must be pretty legendary right?

#143 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostTreckin, on 21 April 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

Well I reinstalled windows 3 weeks ago and didnt reinstall MWO.

I dont know how many more are like me, but based on the lack of responses, I am going to bet many many people have jumped from this burning wreck of a game.

If they werent so busy rationalizing ABSOLUTE STUPIDITY, they could crunch some telemetry on their userbase and see how badly they effed this up.
''

I too am about to uninstall this and never look back, I've done this once but thought I'd give them another chance....yeah it's even less playable now than it was several months ago. I have not seen any improvement of this game and frankly I think it looks like crap compared to just about anything else out their. More and more I am getting booted from matches and I have excellent internet speed my lag is typically lower than rest of the team. There are too many bugs and glitches and frankly game looks ugly, and the devs attitude and sense of disrespect and not given a rats *** really doesn't make me want to continue to play this or support it in any way anymore. We are never gonna get a great looking game it's just gonna be ok.

Mech assault looks much better than this game, and I remember having a lot of fun in the mp when it was running over a decade ago.

People need to make it known that they are doing a bad job by simply being silent and not handing them money anymore. Stop paying 30 bucks to play a mech in this game it's not necessary. They dont deserve our support and they dont deserve the chance to make a video game and to make money doing it.

#144 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostArcaist, on 21 April 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Well, simple solution: Quit playing it and leave.

Um dude I have done so, and will do so again but I actually like the mechwarrior series and these are the only guys doing it and they are doing a bad job. The lack of responses and the ones I'm seeing seem to agree with me, simply sahying quit playing and leave is a really stupid and immature way to respond, you are part of the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if you shoot your team mates just for fun.

With your attititude this game wouldn't last another month.

#145 Particle Man

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

"reporting bugs" and "getting immediate fixes to bugs, and immediate changes tohow the game works because some random internet person said so" are not the same thing at all.

report bug = tell them about it so they can add it to the list.

suggestion= tell them about it and they'll add it to the list and consider it. CONSIDER, not follow your every suggestion/demand.

and they dont really have to personally explain why to every single person on every single suggestion.

nub: "FIX ECM NAO!"

pgi: "we looked at it and dont think it needs much fixing"

nub: "FIX IT NAO BY COMPLETELY REDESIGNING HOW IT WORKS! OR ELSE!!!"

pgi: "we checked it out and it only needs tweaking, thanks for your suggestion!"

nub: "Teh devs dunt lissin to der custimerz and teh gaem is gunna fail!" *creates 16 threads in a row about this*

#146 Treckin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

^ you sound awful mad about the fact that the game sucks, seeing as you cant rationally be angry that we are posting our dislike of the state of progress and the continued arrogance of the developers despite their being EMPIRICALLY WRONG ABOUT MANY THINGS.

Basically, your post is complaining about complainers, its like two steps removed from any relevance at all. If anything, my posts stating dissatisfaction with the game are more pertinent then your posts ABOUT my posts.

#147 jay35

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 19 April 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Ask the Devs #36

Teralitha: You said that your against segmenting the player base further. What then, are you going to do to improve the current 2 modes we have to bring back players who have quit BECAUSE there is a lack of more game modes?
A: We’re reviewing the existing modes and will be balancing

It looks like this answer got cut off.
Also, i think he's asking more about whether we'll see some new and interesting game modes that aren't capture-based at their core like the two current ones are, not merely tweaking them.

Anyway, stoked to see Canyon map and the next two hero mechs! Glad the existing chassis will still see some love and life, even if it's mainly via hero mechs.

Edited by jay35, 21 April 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#148 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostParticle Man, on 21 April 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

"reporting bugs" and "getting immediate fixes to bugs, and immediate changes tohow the game works because some random internet person said so" are not the same thing at all.

report bug = tell them about it so they can add it to the list.

suggestion= tell them about it and they'll add it to the list and consider it. CONSIDER, not follow your every suggestion/demand.

and they dont really have to personally explain why to every single person on every single suggestion.

nub: "FIX ECM NAO!"

pgi: "we looked at it and dont think it needs much fixing"

nub: "FIX IT NAO BY COMPLETELY REDESIGNING HOW IT WORKS! OR ELSE!!!"

pgi: "we checked it out and it only needs tweaking, thanks for your suggestion!"

nub: "Teh devs dunt lissin to der custimerz and teh gaem is gunna fail!" *creates 16 threads in a row about this*

How about answerin what a pilot of a Spider-5K is supposed to do with gimped as crap Machine Guns?

Its a light mech with 4 ballistic slots and only 1 energy slot in the CT. You have no options in that mech other than 4 MG's + 1 energy unless you gimp somethin horribly to fit a heavy energy/heavy ballistic in the mech. If you go heavy energy, you've just made a crappier 5V. If you go heavy ballistics you'll be so slow that any moron with a PPC can kill you.

You can't get around it like you can with the 3C Cicada by just skippin the whole thing and pickin a nongarbage variant. You can't shove a couple decent energy weapons on it like you can with the 4X because it only has 1 nonballistic slot.

PGI has, quite literally, added a variant of a mech to this game that's only purpose is to grind out elite for a different variant. This variant (the 5K and to a lesser extent the 3C) has absolutely no redeemin value to it and PGI purposely designed it this way by makin MG's 100% useless in any remotely reasonable situation. There is nothin of value that this mech brings, at all, and the fact that PGI is happy with how MG's are means they're happy that they created a 100% useless variant whose only reason to exist is to force their xp system to work.

#149 DarkonFullPower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 191 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

I wonder if they are avoiding buffing MG's because they think this is where they will end up regardless once engine crits are introduced.

#150 Loler skates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

Signal27: With the upcoming implementation of community warfare, will the players ever get to have an impact on the way the lines on the map of the Inner Sphere are drawn as they fight for their respective factions? Or will the map always strictly adhere to the canonical 3050s Inner Sphere maps published, with only published historical events (such as the Clan invasion) ever changing the way the lines are drawn?

A: Players will not be able to affect the borders directly. However players will be able to control a variety of fronts.

So players will have no effect on the results of community warfare.

Pointless.

#151 Loler skates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

Snowseth: Are there any plans to introduce unspotted LRM targeting and firing? Where instead of locking on to a target, a point on the map is targeted and fired at, with the missiles taking a very steep arc (and reducing the ground range).

A: No plans to support this. The effect is essentially artillery, which is supported via consumables.

It's official pgi don't even ******* play this game.

A line of sight consumable which is direct fire is equivalent to wanting to be able to indirect artillery fire with lrms?

man are the pgi devs a bunch of hacks.

#152 Loler skates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostKrzysztof z Bagien, on 19 April 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

You did, Mr Ekman, you did.

okay thats just beyond amusing.

If you ever needed proof that ATD is a completely pointless waste of time.

Eckman gave you all the proof needed.

View Postshintakie, on 19 April 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Just turn it into a drinkin game.

Every time "No ETA" is said, take a drink.
Every time "No plans" is said, take a drink.
Every time they repeat the answer for a question they already answered in a earlier ATD, take a drink. If they answer the same question twice or more in the same ATD, take 2 drinks for every repeat.
Every time they blatantly make somethin up (6 MG spiders, 3 second Jenners, nobody sayin collisions would be back soon), take a drink.

I'm not sure you should be advocating people commit suicide. <_<

#153 Loler skates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostParnage, on 19 April 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

Machine guns need massive damage buffs like most people need a new hole in the head.

machine guns have trouble downing Elementals in battletech, god forbid it's a mech. Be glad they rip up internals. I'd of just left them as is and made fun of folks~

lolololol.

Machine gun does 2 + 2D6 damage to elementals.

If by having trouble you mean tear them to shreds with ease then i totally agree.

#154 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

View Postshintakie, on 19 April 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Well, awesome. Guess yall really are perfectly happy with the 4X, 5k, and 3C bein completely useless.

-1 for that.

Either that or they're secretly plannin to add noncanon light ballistics so that those 3 mechs can actually get a use out of their ballistics slots.

Hey, you've read what they might consider giving MGs - the ability to shoot down missiles.
Doesn't sound like something I need 4 ballistic slots for on a Spider that can probably outrun missiles, giving how slow they are.

#155 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:08 AM

View PostLoler skates, on 21 April 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

So players will have no effect on the results of community warfare.

Pointless.

I don't know, if, holding a front gives you extra turrets protecting your base, or free artillery strikes or and stuff like that, it might not matter that the borders don't move.

#156 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:40 AM

I think the test servers will be ones where you don't have your mechs, just stock mechs, no MCs, no Premium Time, no c-bills, no XP, no groups. no camo, no colos, nothing. Just pubs and stock mechs to TEST STUFF and report back.

I would welcome that. If they add a debug console then I will be very happy.

Edited by TexAss, 22 April 2013 - 02:44 AM.

#157 Loler skates

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 22 April 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

Hey, you've read what they might consider giving MGs - the ability to shoot down missiles.
Doesn't sound like something I need 4 ballistic slots for on a Spider that can probably outrun missiles, giving how slow they are.

it's also useless....

4 mgs = Not as effective as one AMS.... for 4x the tonnage.

Good show pgi.. Good show.

4 mgs wouldn't be capable of shooting down ONE lrm in the time frame they would be able to actually shoot the lrm from.

So yea wow....

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 22 April 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

I don't know, if, holding a front gives you extra turrets protecting your base, or free artillery strikes or and stuff like that, it might not matter that the borders don't move.

Yea but the whole point of coumminity warfare is ostensibly the effect that players can have on the world.

If the players can't change the world then it becomes pointless.
It's like calling something interactive only for it to not actually do anything.

#158 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:35 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 22 April 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

Common misconception, but missile speed is listed in meters per second and 'mech speed in kilometers per hour.
LRMs move at 100m/s, which equates to 360kph (incidentally, so do MG projectiles).

So LRMs actually move more than twice as fast as the fastest Spider, and hence the Spider cannot outrun them. At least not in a drag race; it can probably out-maneuver them, but that's not a speed issue but a maneuverability issue.

All that aside, giving MGs the ability to shoot down missiles would be kinda pointless - since LRMs have 1 HP, you'd need to shoot one for 2.5 seconds with a single MG, 1.2 seconds with two MGs, or 0.625 seconds with four MGs. Kinda hard when your weapon has an engagement range of 90m and the missile travels at 100m/s (i.e. your engagement window is less than one second).

Just giving them the ability to shoot down LRMs surely wouldn't make them any more viable than they are now.

Edited by stjobe, 22 April 2013 - 03:35 AM.

#159 WidowMaker91

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 114 posts
  • LocationDelran, New Jersey

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:56 AM

View PostKrzysztof z Bagien, on 19 April 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

Can't say I'm disappointed with answers, as I didn't have high expectations.

#160 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

We've been asking for a public test server, so it's great to know this is coming.

No idea why some people find this strange. Currently all our skills, MC, cbills, mechs etc are permanent. Nobody wants to test with these, as they are effectively real money.

A test server is required for proper, no consequences testing. There can be resets, and extreme values that won't interrupt normal play.

Other information is so-so, delays to be expected given the number of issues that have obviously set back development. On the whole though lots of great news.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users