283 replies to this topic

#101 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the time.

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 19 April 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

This is why I think in the end they should have let the players run their own CW's using tools provided by PGI.

Then you could have multiple CW's going. And the impact in one CW wouldn't mess up the other's.

Would allow for actual changes to happen.

The actual changes will be players on the loosing end jumping ship.

Edited by Thorn Hallis, 20 April 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#102 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Has anyone else noticed that "Ask the Devs #29" NEVER got answered?

#103 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 20 April 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the time.

The actual changes will be players on the loosing end jumping ship.

It's funny, doesn't sound like that happened in the prior player run CW's before this game.

I'd rather have to deal with that, then having a CW that is irrelevant, because all it really is, is another grind with no real reward.

Do I care whether I control a front and gain extra c-bills? Not really.

I want to take a planet and hold it.

Or drive back the clans. Or do SOMETHING meaningful.

#104 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 20 April 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

Has anyone else noticed that "Ask the Devs #29" NEVER got answered?

No, but I have been noticing that the "Ask the Devs - Answers" threads are getting less and less likes.

Interpret that as you will.

#105 Geminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 220 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 19 April 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

No, I don't listen to NGNG, I still hold hope that important things will be posted on the forums.

And it sure didn't sound like he was talking about the PTS being for after launch.

I wish I could hit like on that 1,000 times. Why do I have to hunt off site to find the important info? The community is HERE. The players are HERE.

#106 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostGeminus, on 20 April 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

I wish I could hit like on that 1,000 times. Why do I have to hunt off site to find the important info? The community is HERE. The players are HERE.

We are only "vocal minority" that noone gives a **** about.

#107 JP Alpha

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

PGI working on in-game voice comms would be a major mis-allocation of resources, given how easy it is to find a publicly accessible TS3 server on which to play. Eve Online has in-game voice, and NOBODY uses it. Why would you when you can so easily use out of game comms (whose superiority ought to be obvious to anyone capable of logical thought)?

#108 Slick Shadow

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Wow, as someone who is still currently downloading this obviously ALPHA game, the communities response is unbelieveably negative to your "updates".

Do you listen to your testers in any way what so ever?

Apparently not given the MG thread and this response...wake up devs, no WAKE F UP. You are looking at launch, these people are giving you the feedback to tweak it right to make the game a sucess...stop ignoring them.

I am so tempted to cancel the download after reading this thread it is not funny.

Signed - a severly sceptical new member

#109 Arcaist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 168 posts
  • LocationRegensburg, Germany

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

@SlickShadow: You´ll find whine like that in a lot of similar forums attached to other games. And THIS is, what scares away more players than the game itself.

So do yourself a favor: Finish the download, and make up your mind based on your own experience.

#110 Arcaist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 168 posts
  • LocationRegensburg, Germany

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

View Postshintakie, on 20 April 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

We're in a friggin BETA.

BETA!

They should be testin things. They should be breakin things and then fixin things. They should be adding to the game and if what they added doesn't work out, take them out. Its the exact reason you're allowed to call it a BETA in the first place. A BETA does not need a Public Test Server unless the point of that test server is to test incredibly radical ideas like third person view or a return of repair and rearm, but even then you're battlin against people not wantin to bother to load up a public test server for a game thats supposed to already be a public test for the release of the game.

Well, thinking of the behavior of a lot of people at the forums here, I also would implement another instance of testing server in order to minimize the created whine at the forums. We here at the forums are a minority, compared to the whole player base. So most of the people just play the game, and never ever have a look at the forum.
Just new players go there, and are driven off because of the massive whine of a few guys here, that actually arent able to state criticism in a kind of polite way, just show a "I WANT THAT FIXED, MY OPIONION IS THE ONE OF THE WHOLE CUMMUNITY, THIS GAME IS DEAD" whine whine whine way...I am so tired of this BS, The game is fun, thats all thats matters to me. Stuff like the MG´s might be troublesome, but the way people behave here, it makes one think that its a major disaster in their real live....

#111 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostArcaist, on 20 April 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

@SlickShadow: You´ll find whine like that in a lot of similar forums attached to other games. And THIS is, what scares away more players than the game itself.

So do yourself a favor: Finish the download, and make up your mind based on your own experience.

I think you'll find there are games out there (Warframe), where the dev's have cultivated trust and communicated with the community, such that they have the ability to make mistakes without seeing this sort of negativity.

Why don't we hold PGI to that standard?

#112 Warge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostJames Montana, on 19 April 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

Armor? Maybe
Aircraft? Possibly

Already answered: no armor, no aircraft.

#113 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

This is the problem with AtD...too many crazy off the wall questions and too many repetitive questions.

And then if the devs do choose to pick a real hot button question, they don't give us a true, detailed answer.

I wish that if the dev's thought MG's were fine, that they'd spend 10 minutes explaining why and showing the numbers.

#114 Particle Man

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostJames Montana, on 19 April 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

So... no answer to the appearance of infantry, armor, aircraft, convoys or an eject button, yet again. I guess I will give it another shot next week, but I believe the foundation of my expectation has already been answered: Check back after launch.

Ah, who am I kidding? I'll answer my own question:

Infantry? No
Armor? Maybe
Aircraft? Possibly
Convoys? Possibly, we're not ready to discuss that right now
Eject Function? No plans

considering that they've pretty much said at every opportunity that they want this to be a mech game and will more than likely not be adding most of those things, how much more confirmation do you need?

#115 Particle Man

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostSlick Shadow, on 20 April 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Wow, as someone who is still currently downloading this obviously ALPHA game, the communities response is unbelieveably negative to your "updates".

Do you listen to your testers in any way what so ever?

Apparently not given the MG thread and this response...wake up devs, no WAKE F UP. You are looking at launch, these people are giving you the feedback to tweak it right to make the game a sucess...stop ignoring them.

I am so tempted to cancel the download after reading this thread it is not funny.

Signed - a severly sceptical new member

dont bother with the forums if you're new. You'll get nothing out of them and will more than likely be driven away by the incessant crying by the VERY vocal minorty of the population that cries constantly about every possible thing and takes personal offense that their own specific gripe isnt directly and immediately implimented by the devs personally.

This is the land where everyone's own personal opinions are considered (by themselves) to be indesputable fact and if their opinion isnt followed and implimented immediately that means the game is going to fail and the devs ignore the customers.

Edited by Particle Man, 20 April 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#116 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

See, there are actually some questions that demand a decent dev response, like how external engines added to the engine are calculated. Things to learn something new about should be answered... but nary a word.

In answering "repeated questions" and "crappy duh questions" instead of "thoughtful questions that should deserve a response", we are learning nothing of worth which is the equivalent of Garth giving tips about how 2 ERPPCs generate more than than Cool Shot 6 + Cool Shot 9x9 and/or him "parroting" what PGI has said about comparing MGs to a medium laser.

Also, we are given "coolant information" from Bryan about his "19 SHS K2"... considering when the first MAJOR upgrade every basic player is told by their peers that the DHS upgrade is basically a required upgrade. Do you see where this train of thought is leading?

Sometimes, I would like a dev to be honest about "what they think is wrong with the game" and not "everything is just fine", because that is complete BS, and anyone who reads into it can spot in a mile away. As long as answers to legitimate questions are ignored with no thoughtful response, you simply give every troll a free pass to mocking their every move... because, THEY ARE RIGHT. That is not something the devs should ever be taken with a grain of salt. Your answers matters JUST AS MUCH as the feedback people are giving about the game. If you choose to ignore serious and legitimate thoughts about the state of your own game, you can program your game to the likes of a "newbie" modder that boosts all the "cool stuff he likes" and give the middle finger to anyone that doesn't agree with your position. That's just how these "worthless" Q&As are heading to.

#117 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

I assume that by 'release' they mean 'open beta'. Because it's kinda hard to call it a release when several major components are planned to be released after launch date. Especially considering that one of these components will effectively be a massive nerf to smaller mechs.

The current game is more or less an Alpha build, if that. I look forward to the beta. Or I would, if they stopped making the game worse with every patch. At the moment, I'm mostly just watching a train wreck in slow motion. I'm enthralled, and unable to change things; it's just a huge disaster and I can't look away.

#118 grayson marik

• Wrath
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 20 April 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

It's funny, doesn't sound like that happened in the prior player run CW's before this game.

I'd rather have to deal with that, then having a CW that is irrelevant, because all it really is, is another grind with no real reward.

Do I care whether I control a front and gain extra c-bills? Not really.

I want to take a planet and hold it.

Or drive back the clans. Or do SOMETHING meaningful.

Well, play Inner Sphere Wars or some other community driven project.
You sir, are the perfect example, why private matches have to be possible without any pregiven matchingrules rather sooner than later.

I am sure, CW will be an awesome system, everyone can find somethiing useful to do in. BUT: Battletech has grown so big and has such a long history, there are so many more flavors of possible "Community warfares" ranging from stock 3025 Succession War to a Battle of Tukkayid champaign ---> IGP/PGI's cannot make everyone happy with CW!

But while private matches would allow the community to contribute to the game and cater to those of us with a different flavor... they are simply shelved until anyone willing to provide some use to the community is gone and every newbie has been owned 10 times and left the game never knowing why he was owned so badly.

P.S. @Nicholas Carlyle: Inner Sphere Wars has exactly the level of detail you are asking for ;-)

Edited by grayson marik, 20 April 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#119 Terror Teddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,877 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

View Postshintakie, on 19 April 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Either that or they're secretly plannin to add noncanon light ballistics so that those 3 mechs can actually get a use out of their ballistics slots.

I'm actually starting to hope that they ignore the clan invasion and go straight for the word of blake and/or around 3068 so we get the Light AC/2 and other stuff.

Would still make the MG's useless though apart from being a poor mans alternative as a assist weapon or critical slot filler on larger mechs.

HEY, perhaps THAT is what they really mean? MG's are not Crit-SEEKERS but rather Crit-Space-FILLERS since they can protect internal gear by taking up some space.

Edited by Terror Teddy, 20 April 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#120 Treckin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

I like how this ATD only has 6 pages of responses. Its a ghost town. I keep checking back in hoping that the production house pulls the plug on the dev team, but no dice.

PGI has shown me the other side of the f2p coin - when a crummy studio owns IP you love, they get to directly suckle the teet of the players until there are none left. As opposed to dealing with pissed investors who want money or blood.

These clowns just have to stoke the flames in their forums to put coin in their pockets.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users