Great Job Pgi, You've Found My Addiction Button

102 replies to this topic

#61 Purplefluffybunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 20 April 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

In sociology, social capital is the expected collective or economic benefits derived from the preferential treatment and cooperation between individuals and groups.

Could you be a little more specific please?

LOL no I am not playing you.

Google is your friend, eh? You have found the answer yourself and I am not going to go into all the different flavours of Sociological and Socil-Psychological theories (of which I am an expert on) and what they say social capital is and can be, in this thread.

#62 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 20 April 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

Google is your friend, eh? You have found the answer yourself and I am not going to go into all the different flavours of Sociological and Socil-Psychological theories (of which I am an expert on) and what they say social capital is and can be, in this thread.

Blah blah blah blah, I'm an expert, blah blah blah blah and I don't have to substantiate my claims, blah blah blah blah.

Totally understood.

#63 Purplefluffybunny

• 1,653 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 20 April 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Blah blah blah blah, I'm an expert, blah blah blah blah and I don't have to substantiate my claims, blah blah blah blah.

Totally understood.

hehehe. Anyway, I agree with the OP about addiction to games, particularly those that bend towards an mmo and 'F2P' (g o d I hate that acronym!). I think I posted elsewhere on thees boards studies commissioned by big hitters on how to increase addictiveness. Yeah, sorry to go back to the academic points but here a lot of Psychological theory, Lacan and other post-Freudian theorists in particular, have been used in said reports and to devise ways to make games more addictive.

Edited by Purplefluffybunny, 20 April 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#64 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Anybody got some popcorn handy?

#65 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 20 April 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

hehehe. Anyway, I agree with the OP about addiction to games, particularly those that bend towards an mmo and 'F2P' (g o d I hate that acronym!). I think I posted elsewhere on thees boards studies commissioned by big hitters on how to increase addictiveness. Yeah, sorry to go back to the academic points but here a lot of Psychological theory, Lacan and other post-Freudian theorists in particular, have been used in said reports and to devise ways to make games more addictive.

Something we agree upon.

Computer Game Addition is currently being lobbied to be added to the list of recognized addictions because more and more people come home from work, tune out and log in. Companies are looking for ways to exploit this, I have no doubt about it. Whether it was video games or selling Widgets, someone is gonna find a better way to make a more addictive or marketable product and yes they will use social and psychological studies to do so.

Edited by Mason Grimm, 20 April 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#66 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

When I signed up I was promised one Mech of my choice (from the founders), A quantity of MC to use as I saw fit, and premium time to use when I was ready. I also got access to Closed Beta which I did not read about so I got a bonus to what I was expecting for my Money.

After reading the Article, I am still satisfied with what I got for my founders purchase. I was not promised a game I would love. I was not promised no 3rd person view, coolant flush, or a finished product for that matter. I took the risk going in! I would do it again if I wanted to.

#67 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostProtoformX, on 20 April 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

I feel like I'm going back to the crack dealer to refill my stash every couple weeks.

Please seek professional help before it's too late.

View PostJade Kitsune, on 20 April 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

I don't understand op, I mean... reading that literally hurt.

You, are fine with the game, despite the mini-map bug, despite loss of textures, FPS bugs, weapon balancing issues, you name it.

Don't get me wrong here OP, I've dropped well over 300+ on this title since "open beta" I bought founders, then additional MC after. I've been involved with this game since the second wave of closed beta invites when they opened to the public. But I've finally gotten to a point that I can't justify spending that much money on the product, I'm definately not getting the "Vision" that PGI pitched me, and I'm not at all happy with the devlopment cycle they've chosen that's allowing bugs to persist for 9+ months.

So tell me OP, what is it that they've "nailed" I'll agree that the combat feels relatively tight, and that it feels like the combat you read about in the Mechwarrior/battletech novels, it's what I picture when my mechs are slugging it out on tabletop, The visuals are good, and the gameplay if not for broken weaponry, is decent. But what keeps you coming back to this mech arena shooter at this point?

Having Fun > Game Problems

It really does not get any simpler than that.

Edited by Mystere, 20 April 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#68 AntharPrime

• 1,144 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

Although the game is developing well, PGI did deviate from what they promised with the F2P concept. They pointed to some Penny Arcade articles and stated that was exactly what they wanted to emulate. Also they stated that no piece of equipement in game would be barred from F2P gamers, that they would be only monetizing convenience like selling cb-bill and XP boosts and offering early access to new mech through MC purchases. They moved away from this when they offered the Hero Mechs, not because of the boosts, but because of the exclusive access to unique varients through cash only purchases. Under their original concept they would have offered the mechs initially with MC purchases then after a few weeks or a month open the mech to c-bill purchases.
So while technically I did get everything from my Founders package, they are deviating from the concept that was promised at the time they were selling the Founders packages.

#69 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

I agree with OP, despite all the bugs (annoying as they can be) I actually really enjoy this game and will continue to help support its development. The bugs will get fixed in time, no great game is without its fair share of cheeky annoyances, I must say the only thing I wasn't keen on was when PGI set back the development of their community warfare design pillar but I understand their reasons to do so. I love the art, the mechs, the maps (looking forward to canyon map) and the weapons and I'm just happy I've got a new mech game to continue feeding my battletech addiction.

#70 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 20 April 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

You, are fine with the game, despite the mini-map bug, despite loss of textures, FPS bugs, weapon balancing issues, you name it.

You know, believe it or not, not every gamer out there is a hyperdemanding connoisseur who demands 70 FPS and seamless immersion with every single match. There is a decent proportion of gamers who are perfectly fine as long as they can just get through every match. Some people would happily play with a wireframe, just for the thrill of competing.

My textures flicker all the time. I get stuck on bridges. My FPS swoops down to 10 when I get into a hug-fest. I get carved up by PPC/Gauss. My HUD dies. This is all on low-end settings across the board. And it just doesn't bug me. Don't know why. It just...doesn't. Maybe I'm a more laid-back person, but I don't need to see every twig on every tree, nor feel the need to have it destructable, for me to enjoy the game. I'm fine.

#71 Riogar Daylighter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 328 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick Canada

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 20 April 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

You know, believe it or not, not every gamer out there is a hyperdemanding connoisseur who demands 70 FPS and seamless immersion with every single match. There is a decent proportion of gamers who are perfectly fine as long as they can just get through every match. Some people would happily play with a wireframe, just for the thrill of competing.

My textures flicker all the time. I get stuck on bridges. My FPS swoops down to 10 when I get into a hug-fest. I get carved up by PPC/Gauss. My HUD dies. This is all on low-end settings across the board. And it just doesn't bug me. Don't know why. It just...doesn't. Maybe I'm a more laid-back person, but I don't need to see every twig on every tree, nor feel the need to have it destructable, for me to enjoy the game. I'm fine.

I like your attitude brother.

#72 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 April 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

Anybody got some popcorn handy?

Popcorn? I prefer a bottle of cava while eating my favorite slices of heaven (and which I know you already know about :rolleyes:).

#73 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

The issue I have is that they pitched and sold a concept that has been completely thrown out the window. I feel more deceived than cheated.

#74 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostLonestar1771, on 20 April 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

The issue I have is that they pitched and sold a concept that has been completely thrown out the window. I feel more deceived than cheated.

That's the thing though it was a 'Concept', things don't always go to plan and needs to be changed. There was no deception there and quite frankly PGI were fairly good at communicating the changes as they went. There are far worse things out there for sure than changes made to a concept design.

#75 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostBlackfang, on 20 April 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

That's the thing though it was a 'Concept', things don't always go to plan and needs to be changed. There was no deception there and quite frankly PGI were fairly good at communicating the changes as they went. There are far worse things out there for sure than changes made to a concept design.

My point is that I wanted to play THAT game, not this arena style crapfest.

#76 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostProtoformX, on 20 April 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:

You guys must be doing something right, PGI. Just since January I've already purchased enough MC to fund two years worth of an MMO subscription. I wouldn't have ever dreamed that I would be spending this kind of cash on a F2P game. You guys have found my weakness. I feel like I'm going back to the crack dealer to refill my stash every couple weeks.

That said, I'm HAPPY to give these guys my money. Beta whatever, bugs this; who cares? I play this game like 20 hours a week. That's a crapload of entertainment... For comparison I watch like 2 hours worth of TV in a week. I'll happily fund my right, and more players rights to keep playing this game.

Just put the MC in this bag so I can have my pink stompy robots... Now shut up and take my money!

You are going back to the crack dealer, except crack is cheaper. Might wanna reconsider what you're doing.

#77 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostPurplefluffybunny, on 20 April 2013 - 03:14 AM, said:

Which lines in particular Bishop? If we want to discuss we need to focus.

If you want I will kick it off.

"This is the primary reason why founder’s packs do so well. Kickstarter is a phenomenon now, and linking purchases to the Kickstarter reward structure inextricably conjures the feeling of crowdfunding. Even though you are essentially pre-purchasing a free-to-play game, it feels like you are contributing to continued development. And you are! Just not in the sense of kickstarting a project."

You see I think the author is bang on with this point. What do you think about the lines I cite?

EDIT: I cite that one as it is kinda the theme of that GDC panel discussion that was so socially awkward for Bryan and Russ.

EDIT2: Oh Bishop, PGI are the ones making the decisions. PGI are the IP rights holder and sub-let some rights to IGP to develop Mechwarrior tactics. In terms of the 'relationship of influence' between developer and publisher, in the case of PGI and IGP it is the other way around!

PGI owns the IP rights. IGP owns the purse strings. Which one wins?

#78 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostMystere, on 20 April 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

Popcorn? I prefer a bottle of cava while eating my favorite slices of heaven (and which I know you already know about :P).

Jamón ibérico de bellota AND Cava? Just where and when is this meal being partaken?!?!?!?!
And which breads and cheeses do i need to bring?

#79 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 April 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

Jamón ibérico de bellota AND Cava? Just where and when is this meal being partaken?!?!?!?!

Tonight, at a place where sex and debauchery are the desserts.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 April 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

And which breads and cheeses do i need to bring?

You're not invited.

:P

#80 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostLonestar1771, on 20 April 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

View PostLonestar1771, on 20 April 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

I think a lot of us WANTED something else. And still hope against hope CW will provide SOMETHING more. The issue many of us have is the implied assumption of purchasing a Founders Pack somehow obligated PGI to make that concept, or vision, or whatever. The Founders Pack came with no such guarantees. And since no one I see posting on here actually knows what is going on behind the scenes, and the ones that do, aren't really talking (which I do feel is a legit complaint), we really don't know how much of their "vision" actually WILL survive translation, how much of the added features they did do to publisher pressure, misconceived notions on widening the appeal (which usually ends up watering everything down just enough to be unacceptable to everyone) or what.

I'd like more, certainly, but what I have as of now, I still manage to have stupid amounts of fun playing, most often. Just funny that anyone dares to actually say that things aren't all bad, and immediately the Negativity Brigade has to come ramming white knighting and other such crap down our throats. Well, I guess I'd rather be a white knight whale (that's SIR Moby **** to you) than the miserable b*st*rds so many on here seem to be.

View PostMystere, on 20 April 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

Tonight, at a place where sex and debauchery are the desserts.

You're not invited.

:P

*lines up starlight scope right above the ear.......*

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 April 2013 - 01:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users