58 replies to this topic

#1 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

MechWarrior has long applied a ''gun jam'' game mechanic to UACs. It's an integral balancing consideration in the use of those weapons.

In the past 48 hours I've observed increasing numbers of players avoiding gun jams by using macros to chain fire UACs in quick succession.

5 UAC5s chainfired in this way deliver huge targeted damage per second. They can core a medium in seconds.

It would be great if we as MWO players would accept that exploits are bad and, dare I say it, that using a macro to avoid UAC jams is a dishonourable way to win a game. However, I'm not that naive. I know there are some people who take the selfish position that ''if the game lets me do it then then it must be ok''. Unfortunately, they drag everyone down to a lowest common denominator of gameplay. In fact, there are now threads in these forums where enthusiastic exploiters explain to others how to configure macros to avoid gun jams.

IMHO, PGI needs to detect and prevent macros being used to exploit UACs. This could be done by done relatively simply, by detecting the previous weapon fired and restoring the odds of a jam even if the previous weapon was fired from a different hardpoint.

Edited by Appogee, 23 April 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#2 TOGSolid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

WTB: Mech that fits 5 UAC/5s. Having UACs jam even if a different UAC was fired is just silly. The real fix is to eliminate the need for macros entirely and do what PGI said they were gonna do a long time ago. Holding down the mouse button slow fires the gun, intentional double clicking will rapid fire it.

That said, I thought this thread was gonna be about AC/2 macro users and was gonna lol a bit.

Edited by TOGSolid, 23 April 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#3 The Cheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

View PostTOGSolid, on 23 April 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

That said, I thought this thread was gonna be about AC/2 macro users and was gonna lol a bit.

Ditto. I'm kinda disappointed now.

#4 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

My experience as some who doesn't use a macro is:
default chain fire on 3x UAC5 will spit out a steady stream of lead without jamming ever.

group firing my 3x UAC5 at 1.1 second interval for maximum DPS without jamming is not difficult (although there was some trial an error involved).

getting rushed by big nasty mech, Drop the hammer and start backing up and turning. in my experience 8 times out of 10 I drop the mech in-front of me in seconds. 1 in 10 all my guns instantly jam, and I need that cover fast. 1 in 10 some of my guns jam, the enemy survives, I survive and he doesn't come around the corner a second time.

#5 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostThe Cheese, on 23 April 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

Ditto. I'm kinda disappointed now.

Yeah, I neglected the U in the AC in the title, and the forum doesn't enable titles to be edited.

View PostTOGSolid, on 23 April 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

WTB: Mech that fits 5 UAC/5s. Having UACs jam even if a different UAC was fired is just silly. The real fix is to eliminate the need for macros entirely and do what PGI said they were gonna do a long time ago. Holding down the mouse button slow fires the gun, intentional double clicking will rapid fire it.
I'd be fine with that solution, too. But it better be implemented soon because the swarm of macro exploiters is growing quickly.

Edited by Appogee, 23 April 2013 - 11:28 PM.

#6 TOGSolid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

Who knows, maybe now that they're clued into the UAC/5 Double Fire glitch they'll get that overall control fix in sooner.

#7 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't understand how the macro prevents jamming?

With the current mechanics if you fire once, it fires once, if you try to doubletap it then you have a chance to jam.

The macro is designed to fire the guns in a chain one after the other at their interval, which a player can also do with practice, or as a player above said, chaining 3 does it for you.

From my understanding this does NOT circumvent jamming, it simply doesn't use the double tap method.

Am I wrong?

#8 Lord de Seis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta, Canada

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

I have never seen its used to exploit Ultra Ac5's but if it is it is just like with the Ac2. It needs to be addressed it is an obvious abuse of the system, nt much different then using a aimbot in my mind.

#9 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

Saw it three times from three players only last night.

Then I saw the thread in the (former) General forum telling people how to do it.

Then I went to Smurfys and created a 5ML JagerMech.

Then I decided it was wrong and too easy and would break the game for everyone.

Then I decided to post this thread.

#10 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 23 April 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

My experience as some who doesn't use a macro is:
default chain fire on 3x UAC5 will spit out a steady stream of lead without jamming ever.

Mine does. Try it with a sub-30 ping and see if they jam or not with two guns.

#11 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

View PostAppogee, on 24 April 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

Saw it three times from three players only last night.

Then I saw the thread in the (former) General forum telling people how to do it.

Then I went to Smurfys and created a 5ML JagerMech.

Then I decided it was wrong and too easy and would break the game for everyone.

Then I decided to post this thread.

You can't fit more than 4 because of slots alone.

With 4 you could have 10 tons of ammo if you only had 1/2 armor and moved at 32kph, which is at max 1250 damge, if you hit with all shots or fireing for about 1 minute. This doesn't include any heat either. If you think thats wrong, your right, too easy, yeah go try it let us know how you make out, make a video, i could use a chuckle.

I don't really see how a macro is any different than chainfire. The frequency is so close to 1.1 seconds between shots if you hold the button down.

With 2 of course your going to jam. Chainfire cycles at about 1 second, Uac5 1.1 second. The chain recycleing faster than the weapon. With 3 there's a buffer of the middle uac, so its not noticeable, but would happen if you fired continously for a long period of time, like a minute or something.

#12 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostBobzilla, on 24 April 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

With 2 of course your going to jam. Chainfire cycles at about 1 second, Uac5 1.1 second. The chain recycleing faster than the weapon. With 3 there's a buffer of the middle uac, so its not noticeable, but would happen if you fired continously for a long period of time, like a minute or something.

Sometimes faster actually, that is when I built the macro, I kept getting two/three gun locks on chain fire. I can manually time it, but I have to be in the mech a lot, and that only happens when I'm on a money grind (like savign the 45mil for all of the highlanders).

The trip UACIly is a cash machine, but its only usefull for putting up big numbers really.

#13 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

Can anyone here complaining explain how it circumvents the UAC5 jamming as I asked above?

People keep saying this but I still dont see how it does that.

#14 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

View PostJammerben87, on 24 April 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

Can anyone here complaining explain how it circumvents the UAC5 jamming as I asked above?

People keep saying this but I still dont see how it does that.

The whole idea is to prevent them going double rate, they aren't firing any faster than the advertised ROF at single rate.

apparently that generates ********.

#15 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 24 April 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

The whole idea is to prevent them going double rate, they aren't firing any faster than the advertised ROF at single rate.

apparently that generates ********.

Thats what i thought, hence I don't understand all the crying, it really doesn't benefit anyone.

People are running it on the 6 AC2 for fun, nothing more as its not really very effective, especially with the current metagame.

#16 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostJammerben87, on 24 April 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

Thats what i thought, hence I don't understand all the crying, it really doesn't benefit anyone.

People are running it on the 6 AC2 for fun, nothing more as its not really very effective, especially with the current metagame.

Yeah that is actually players working around a bug because the servers can't authenticate fast enough to pull full firing rate unless you have a sub 25ms ping. So they are using macros to do individual shots and achieve the proper rate.

Remember ALL of this is server authenticated, you can't acutally exceed the advertised ROF.

#17 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Although with the UAC5 set up it does help those who have a habit of panic firing.

#18 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostJammerben87, on 24 April 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

Although with the UAC5 set up it does help those who have a habit of panic firing.

If the damn things didn't lock on the first attempt to go double rate all of the time it wouldn't be an issue.

#19 Leiska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 24 April 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Yeah that is actually players working around a bug because the servers can't authenticate fast enough to pull full firing rate unless you have a sub 25ms ping. So they are using macros to do individual shots and achieve the proper rate.

Remember ALL of this is server authenticated, you can't acutally exceed the advertised ROF.

I'm pretty sure a macro is compeltely powerless to do anything about the missing ROF. In fact, the macroed AC/2 probably fires even less frequently.

#20 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostLeiska, on 24 April 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure a macro is compeltely powerless to do anything about the missing ROF. In fact, the macroed AC/2 probably fires even less frequently.

If you do 6 shots on individual weapons you can bring them up, you only really suffer the initial lag due to ping then they go at advertised rate. When you stomp the button it literally can't chain the requests fast enough.

However, no one want to sit there and slam SIX different buttons every 0.5 seconds....or even try....so they macro it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users