Moba Style.

17 replies to this topic

#1 YouMadQuiaff

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

If anyone has ever played Dota, HoN, LoL or any other MOBA style game you know what I am talking about. A mech version of this would be very cool imo and would actually simulate what an actual mech battle would be like more so than a team deathmatch or domination game mode.

Also if anyone has played the starcraft 2 custom game 'starship' it is a moba where the grunts (fighter ships) spawn continuously and spread out across the map on their way to the enemy base. (rather than the standard three seperate lanes with intervalled waves)

So you could have tanks and lrm/srm carriers engaging across the entire map rather than fighting in lanes. As a reward for killing these grunts or other players you could get points to upgrade your base or grunts (i dunno about upgrading individual mechs as everone starts out with their own loadout anyways.)

you could have it be die and ur done or have it be a limited number of deaths or have it be unlimited deaths. each would be fun.

maybe add some towers (caliope turrets) and a sweet base/fort.

first team to destroy the opposing teams base wins.

#2 w0rm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

Posted Image

#3 Hobietime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Yeah, I would stay away from the term Moba. That makes me think of contrived magical tournaments instead of actual battles.

I think what you are trying to convey is a real battle scenario. I would check out War Thunder If I were you, I think that is what you are asking for and what I hope drop ship mode ends up being like (except you pilot mechs instead of planes).

#4 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

The idea is not necesarily bad, but the general concept of a moba (lanes, getting gear from doing stuff, etc.) doesn't exactly fit with mechwarrior.

Plus the amount of AI pgi would need to implement would be massive.

#5 Artgathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

This is an interesting idea; though MOBA might be the wrong term for it. I'd definitely like to see the inclusion of Armor and Infantry in the game along with Base Assets.

Scoring kills of armor / infantry / mechs could allow for the purchasing of different support options (Artillery / Air Strikes, Coolant Flush, whatever else is coming...) in lieu of "leveling up".

#6 Noobzorz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

They should be wholesale ripping off lots of ideas from MOBA games though. It is perplexing that they aren't, honestly.

#7 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

Who knows, they may make a mechwarrior MOBA someday (although it would probably be a different development team like Mechwarrior Tactics). Personally I don't like MOBAs but their massive success is making them the default genre for game developers. In a year or two I expect we will see as many MOBAs as we see 'gritty military FPSs'. If microsoft was still developing games based on the BT license I think this might actually happen.

#8 Frisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

Forget the magic and gear.

Think about it in terms of MW with NPC vehicles pushing bases... similar to how LoL, DOTA, HON play... only no stupid nerd crap and awesome nerd robots from the future instead. (not 3rd person top down)

#9 Keifomofutu

• 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

View PostFrisk, on 24 April 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

Forget the magic and gear.

Think about it in terms of MW with NPC vehicles pushing bases... similar to how LoL, DOTA, HON play... only no stupid nerd crap and awesome nerd robots from the future instead. (not 3rd person top down)

So dota with awesome nerd crap instead?

#10 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

This request is beyond the competency of these developers. Start been realistic. Preferably by praising their handling of the general discussion forum and machine guns - stalwart in the face of overwhelming community ignorance.

#11 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

I like the idea, played across a proper war front instead of lanes, each team with a similar army, you have to make the choice between destroying opponent vehicles (AI) to allow your own forces to push forward and taking out the enemy mechs (players) who are trying to do the same to you.

Would play out a lot more like I imagine mech battles to be. Wouldn't require any sophisticated AI, just vehicles move forward on pre-set tracks until they encounter an enemy on their radar/gun range at which point they shoot at it.

#12 YouMadQuiaff

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

ya I mean it can't be that hard to program npc's to head towards the enemy base on a random path and engage anything it sees right?

also I agree that you can't 'buy' upgrades for your mech in the middle of a game rather points would go towards upgrading ur base, npc units, or call-ins (artillery, radar, etc.)

an uber basic form of this game mode, i think, would draw in a lot of new players. that's what pgi/igp/current players wants right?

also i'm wondering if having only 1 life is better than having unlimited lives. thought? there could be a respawn timer that increases with each death?

#13 Hobo Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 597 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

View PostYouMadQuiaff, on 25 April 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

also i'm wondering if having only 1 life is better than having unlimited lives. thought? there could be a respawn timer that increases with each death?

I have a few thoughts on this:

First, dropship mode, so you have limited extra lives.

Or, have some sort of shared resource gained by killing enemy units and mechs, capturing or destroying points of interest around the map (maybe a radio tower that gives Targeting within a certain radius). When you are destroyed, you can buy back into the match using this shared resource. If two or more people die at once, but you only have resources to bring back one immediately, the team gets to vote for who comes back. Also it the cost to buy back in is based on tonnage, so an Atlas is more expensive than a Centurion. You have access to four mechs you can switch between at the buyback screen.

Edited by Hobo Dan, 25 April 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#14 Hobietime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Have you guys looked at War Thunder?

The historical battles follow pretty much the same formula as you guys are saying.

Hopefully this is what MW:O ends up with.

Edited by Hobietime, 25 April 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#15 Keifomofutu

• 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostHobietime, on 25 April 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

Have you guys looked at War Thunder?

The historical battles follow pretty much the same formula as you guys are saying.

Hopefully this is what MW:O ends up with.

In theory they do but in practice historical battles end up being just another team deathmatch. Once all enemy planes are gone you win. And the ground units rarely kill opposing ground units. They mostly just sit around ineffectually shooting until a plane swoops by and collects the xp.

#16 8RoundsRapid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 301 posts
  • Locationupriver

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostJammerben87, on 25 April 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

I like the idea, played across a proper war front instead of lanes, each team with a similar army, you have to make the choice between destroying opponent vehicles (AI) to allow your own forces to push forward and taking out the enemy mechs (players) who are trying to do the same to you.

Would play out a lot more like I imagine mech battles to be. Wouldn't require any sophisticated AI, just vehicles move forward on pre-set tracks until they encounter an enemy on their radar/gun range at which point they shoot at it.

This is almost exactly how War Thunder does their games. It is quite excellent and adds alot of depth to each and every match. I think, like most here, the idea of a moba style MW game is pretty bad, this particular idea of having 2 opposing traditional armies that move across a large map toward each other and/or a/some cap points is an excellent idea.

I think it might be beyond the capabilities of PGI to implement though.

Edited by 8RoundsRapid, 25 April 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#17 KingNobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

I would certainly like to see a game mode like this. It would be difficult to implement, but it would add a dimension of flavor that the current gameplay lacks. It would also provide roles for underpowered chassis such as the Spider 5V and 5K, and a reason to carry smaller weapons.

The best part though, is that we could see all the awesome models of crazy BT tanks, VTOL, vehicles and BA. There were some wacky ones *cough* Kanga Tank *cough*

#18 Frisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

BUMPED because this idea developed solves these boring ******* grind fests right now.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users