Thanks, Pgi! And A Note To Everyone Harpooning Pgi For The Slightest Little Thing.

41 replies to this topic

#1 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

I'd personally just like to thank PGI for continuing work on the game despite the verbal abuse they take from the community. Sure, there are bugs here and there, balance issues, (and the rubberbanding that had me wanting to scream!) but its a beta. Perhaps everyone isn't familiar with the terminology, but here's a handy snippet from Merriam Webster defining the word "beta":

1: the 2d letter of the Greek alphabet — see alphabet table
2: beta particle
3: a measure of the risk potential of a stock or an investment portfolio expressed as a ratio of the stock's or portfolio's volatility to the volatility of the market as a whole
4: a nearly complete prototype of a product (as software)<released in beta> <the beta version>

For MWO purposes, please note the fourth (4th) definition listed above. It's nearly complete, as in, not complete. As in, a work in progress. To abuse the publishers of a game you've possibly been waiting YEARS an ineffective strategy. The message you intend to send is "I don't like X and Y! Nerf it!" but it comes across as "Dear PGI, all the time and effort you've put into this product are WASTED and there is absolutely no reason for you to continue developing this game!" I, for one, wish the community would grow up - it's a *game*, and its a game that most of you are playing for free with no intention of spending money on it. This was a risky business endeavor for PGI, and while we may not all agree with every decision they make I challenge you to remember Homer's car from the Simpsons. (http://simpsons.wiki.../wiki/The_Homer) Adding every feature and catering to every whim resulted in a pile of unusable garbage. Is that what you really want for MW:O? How many "perfect" games are there out there? Perhaps write what you want to articulate down into notepad or something before posting. Read it once or twice, revise it, be professional. It might just be that I've got a long history in IT and software development, but I've seen "community input" totally trash a multitude of projects. The most successful projects are where you identify the target customer, identify their current and future needs, and meet them as best you can. You can never satisfy everyone, and it's disheartening to take a beating for every.little.thing that people in the community dislike about it. Since some of the complaints are so specific, it's obvious that there's a lot that people LIKE about the game, but as is typical people only talk about the negatives. Take a deep breath. Go get a snack. Take a little break from the game. Remember that it is, in fact, just a game. Realize that there are decisions that are going to be made that you're not going to agree with and deal with it; that's part of being an adult. Again, thanks PGI for all the effort; I know that despite the community claims that you guys aren't doing anything, there are teams working 60-80 hour weeks to meet deadlines. Please don't let the clamoring of a few people on the forums dishearten you completely; MW:O has brought me back to gaming after a many year split, simply because even the BETA was good enough to draw me in. If it wasn't so good, the little things wouldn't bother everyone so much; take that nugget and hold onto it. I know your pain! I don't work for PGI, I don't stand to personally benefit from posting this, and I'll likely be blasted for posting it... but insults on an online forum are as offensive to me as a fart in a tornado. I've got bigger things to worry about. Take your energy, community, and turn it into constructive criticism and suggestions instead of complaints. If I could send PGI a couple pizzas and some beers I totally would. - Fierostetz

Edited by Fierostetz, 24 April 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#2 JokerVictor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 515 posts
  • LocationA happy place far from this bitter wasteland

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostDCLXVI, on 24 April 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

tell me, was it disheartening to write that whole long speech to find out only 9 people will ever see it due to all of pgi's best efforts in fixing the forums?

It's been 3 hours... and he's gotten 25 views. Mission Accomplished.

Edited by JokerVictor, 24 April 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#3 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

Not in the least - I didn't write it for you. I have to deal with tons of users complaining constantly simply because that's what users do. I don't want the constant complaining to make people at PGI feel like they've wasted their time; they clearly haven't. Everyone loves the game enough to complain when something's not right, so that in and of itself is a clear indicator that they're doing at least something right. People get more upset when something's almost right than when it's totally wrong. I just see a lot of misguided passion thrown around in the forums with very little actual thought behind it, and from PGI's perspective, that's got to be a tad depressing. I'd rather they be proud of the product they're putting out so they put out 100% than complain so much they thing "why bother".

Edited by Fierostetz, 24 April 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#4 Ihasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 843 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Constantly flubbed communications and patches that introduce more bugs or poor design decisions than they fix are not slightest little things.

#5 Glory in the Highest

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

#6 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Great job PGI!

#7 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Based on the quality of this post, I don't have high hopes for OTD as a replacement for GD.

#8 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Sorry, but I believe this belongs in the General discussion section... OH WAIT.

#9 LockeJaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

Wall of text. Did not read. Consider formatting and try again.

#10 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

I probably would have bothered to read this in GD but I'm busy hunting down a thread that's worth reading and full of action

#11 JokerVictor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 515 posts
  • LocationA happy place far from this bitter wasteland

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

View PostTeam Leader, on 24 April 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

I probably would have bothered to read this in GD but I'm busy hunting down a thread that's worth reading and full of action

Those don't exist anymore.

Also: Threads been up for 10 hours. 125 views. Mission f*cking accomplished.

Edited by JokerVictor, 24 April 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#12 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:49 AM

A more shilly shill of a thread I've not seen shilled before.

Destroying a centralized area for player communications, to disseminate and gain an understanding of the state of the game and community = little thing...

Then I can only assume that to the OP that replacing mechs with My Little Ponies = a moderate annoyance.

#13 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostJokerVictor, on 24 April 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

Those don't exist anymore.

Also: Threads been up for 10 hours. 125 views. Mission f*cking accomplished.

Thought you were leaving?

View PostZaptruder, on 25 April 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

A more shilly shill of a thread I've not seen shilled before.

Destroying a centralized area for player communications, to disseminate and gain an understanding of the state of the game and community = little thing...

OMGZ, they took away GD!! Wherever will I be able to make non-specific QQ rants about how PGI ate my baby?

Edited by Roadbeer, 25 April 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#14 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 25 April 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

Thought you were leaving?

OMGZ, they took away GD!! Wherever will I be able to make non-specific QQ rants about how PGI ate my baby?

now where are you going to go to get your mass fill of every single day QQ over qq over and over again. you need a place to get all your qqing out at once. there are qqing doctors you know mang XD

#15 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostDCLXVI, on 25 April 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

now where are you going to go to get your mass fill of every single day QQ over qq over and over again. you need a place to get all your qqing out at once. there are qqing doctors you know mang XD

Meh, I'm on a mission to civilize, and I actually enjoy the forums as they are now. People are surprisingly topical, and those that aren't are being sent to K Town, where we don't stay on topic anyway.

I'd much rather have a productive forum with a low post count than the naked fire-drill that GD was.

#16 Voridan Atreides

• 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

View PostIhasa, on 24 April 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

Constantly flubbed communications and patches that introduce more bugs or poor design decisions than they fix are not slightest little things.

So...why are you here then?

Edited by Voridan Atreides, 25 April 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#17 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 25 April 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

Meh, I'm on a mission to civilize, and I actually enjoy the forums as they are now. People are surprisingly topical, and those that aren't are being sent to K Town, where we don't stay on topic anyway.

I'd much rather have a productive forum with a low post count than the naked fire-drill that GD was.

you are the reigning king of QQ. don't ever kid yourself man you whine more than my 8 year old nephew. no for real dude. its so annoying but I guess I should expect that coming to a game forum

View PostRoadbeer, on 25 April 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

NO! not this at all you are the biggest whining sh&^t on tthis forum period

you need a bloddy tooth rearrangement this is all I get to see now for $120 founder package is roadbeer attention crying QQ

#18 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostDCLXVI, on 25 April 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

you are the reigning king of QQ. don't ever kid yourself man you whine more than my 8 year old nephew. no for real dude. its so annoying but I guess I should expect that coming to a game forum

NO! not this at all you are the biggest whining sh&^t on tthis forum period

I think you confuse whining with mocking, but that's OK, language is hard.

View PostDCLXVI, on 25 April 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

you need a bloddy tooth rearrangement this is all I get to see now for $120 founder package is roadbeer attention crying QQ

LULZ...

#19 DCLXVI

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

120 dollars to see a manchild spewing little lippy girl comments. nice job filtering the forums pgi. your mascot represents your com-pany perfectly

#20 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostDCLXVI, on 25 April 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

120 dollars to see a manchild spewing little lippy girl comments. nice job filtering the forums pgi. your mascot represents your com-pany perfectly

Posted Image

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users