Highlander 733C Advice

28 replies to this topic

#1 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

I've finally finished Mastering my Treb 3C and have moved up in the world, purchasing a Highlander 733C yesterday.

At the moment I am running it fairly stock, aside from replacing the engine with the 300XL (it's too slow otherwise) from the Treb and pulling out the LRM20 in favour of two addition SRM6s and some SHS. I plan on the standard Endo, DHS, Artemis upgrades but I was wondering what other people were using? Is ferro worth it? I haven't used it on any other Mech's yet.

The AC/20 seems to be pretty fearsome, netting me a few kills so far, so I'll probably keep that. I was thinking about changing to a Gauss Rifle eventually just to see how it goes. The three SRM6's are brutal but without Artemis they're not really doing as much damage as they could be.

Thoughts from Highlander pilots?

#2 Ser Barristan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWesteros

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

I personally would keep the AC20, I think the 732 with its extra energy hard point and having 2 of the missile hardpoints in the other arm does Guass better. Since I run the 733C as a brawler I also lean towards an 325 STD for more speed and endurance..

Edited by Ser Barristan, 26 April 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#3 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

View PostPater Mors, on 26 April 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

I've finally finished Mastering my Treb 3C and have moved up in the world, purchasing a Highlander 733C yesterday.

At the moment I am running it fairly stock, aside from replacing the engine with the 300XL (it's too slow otherwise) from the Treb and pulling out the LRM20 in favour of two addition SRM6s and some SHS. I plan on the standard Endo, DHS, Artemis upgrades but I was wondering what other people were using? Is ferro worth it? I haven't used it on any other Mech's yet.

The AC/20 seems to be pretty fearsome, netting me a few kills so far, so I'll probably keep that. I was thinking about changing to a Gauss Rifle eventually just to see how it goes. The three SRM6's are brutal but without Artemis they're not really doing as much damage as they could be.

I don't know if it is because I am spoiled with the Dual AC/20 Jager or what, but I was not as impressed with the AC/20 Highlander as I thought I would be. A Gauss has about the same punch IMO, but significantly better range and better ammo/ton. Also, each AC/20 ammo can explode, but only the Gauss itself can explode. So I can store Gauss ammo inside the body without worry.

I do like the idea of an Arm mounted AC/20 on an Assault though. I might revisit it again later. But my immediate impression was "meh". My Gauss Highlander builds have performed better for me.

I passed on the missiles completely. I have played around with missiles, but I just don't like how they feel. They are too chaotic. I like direct-fire better because I can pinpoint the damage in a specific area.

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 26 April 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#4 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

ac20
2 x lrm 15 artemis.
2 x med laser.
xl300.

#5 DrAwkward

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

Greetings,

Fellow HGN-733C pilot here. I kept mine very stock, adding only a 300XL, DHS, and Artemis. That served me well all the way to Mastery. When I play with a person that brings ECM, I'll usually swap the ASRM-6 for 2 SSRM-2s to help with countering lights. This variant is especially brutal amongst Highlanders and lots of fun if you play to its strengths.

For the ideas you mentioned, those all sound pretty good, but I have some caveats. First, I would caution that Endo Steel probably won't fit too comfortably with that XL engine. For most in the Assault class, it feels like you often can only afford the crits for XLs or Endo, not both. In most Assaults, I discourage XLs because of the fragility they introduce to your 'Mech, but here it's a great fit. The speed gained from the larger engine will help considerably in getting that AC20 into range and boosting your twisting speeds to make up for the reduced arm-arc of the 733C. On the note of twisting, the Jump Jets can also play a big role in turning while moving close to max speed. As for switching the AC20 for a Gauss Rifle, I personally tend not to like that trade for the 733C, especially with the XL engine. A Gauss can be a great sniping weapon, and that can be attractive since you drop the LRM20, but you increase your vulnerability to internal damage and bring more risk to destroying your own XL since the explosion chance of a Gauss is so high.

I hope that helps,
Cheers!

#6 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

Cheers guys, that helps me get a clearer picture of how I want to run this bad boy. I didn't know the caveat on endo for Assaults but I will keep that in mind. I like the idea of upgrading to a 325XL or so for that extra speed and plus I want to put my 300 back in my Treb at some point as it's only running a 250STD at the moment which impacts on it's performance somewhat.

Any words on Ferro? Seems pretty useless in MWO at the moment, at least on most of the chassis that I've run.

#7 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostPater Mors, on 26 April 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

Cheers guys, that helps me get a clearer picture of how I want to run this bad boy. I didn't know the caveat on endo for Assaults but I will keep that in mind. I like the idea of upgrading to a 325XL or so for that extra speed and plus I want to put my 300 back in my Treb at some point as it's only running a 250STD at the moment which impacts on it's performance somewhat.

Any words on Ferro? Seems pretty useless in MWO at the moment, at least on most of the chassis that I've run.

XL engines are a bad idea on almost any build IMO...they basically triple your chances of dying. Unless you are designing a long range mech that will not be in the thick of the fight, I don't really see a use for them. On Brawlers they are suicidal.

I have used ferro before on some builds, but only as a last resort when I have a bunch of crits left over. Whether by accident or design, the weight ferro saves is almost nothing. On my Highlander it gives me a little over a ton in weight savings.

#8 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

I started with an AC20 build along these lines:

1 AC20 2 ML 3 SRM4
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7ecb39bfc573d89

I've recently modified it switching out the AC20 for 2 UAC5 for a longer range punch and a shift towards DPS from burst
2 UAC5 2 ML 3 SRM4
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7c2270fdc6a7263

Both are viable and have been working well for me as brawlers.

#9 Devin Takkar

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Try 2xUAC5. Very satisfying and helps with all the long range fights atm.

#10 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 26 April 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

XL engines are a bad idea on almost any build IMO...they basically triple your chances of dying. Unless you are designing a long range mech that will not be in the thick of the fight, I don't really see a use for them. On Brawlers they are suicidal.

I've had the opposite experience to be honest. On my Treb without the 300 I find myself too slow to actually perform the role that I designed it for (close range skirmishing in and out of the frontlines) and find myself getting tagged way too much. With the 300 it's a ton easier to get in, deliver a strike and then get back behind my assaults before suffering too much.

You're right about it being suicidal to straight brawl though. If I get caught alone by anything heavier than a Catapult with a halfway competent pilot I am usually toast. I may try out the 733C with a 300STD and see how we go.

Edited by Pater Mors, 26 April 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#11 Ser Barristan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWesteros

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

This is my build:

HGN-733C

I've been able to comfortably load out my 732, 733C and 733P with either STD 300s or a 325. Unless you're looking to really load up on PPCs or other heavy weapons I haven't seen the need to mount a XL on them.

#12 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostSer Barristan, on 26 April 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

This is my build:

HGN-733C

I've been able to comfortably load out my 732, 733C and 733P with either STD 300s or a 325. Unless you're looking to really load up on PPCs or other heavy weapons I haven't seen the need to mount a XL on them.

I ran mine like this, but without Artemis and with all three missile racks packing 6s. Also had 15 DHS - worked pretty well. The lack of any ranged weapon drove me nuts though. Changed the engine to an XL325 and upgraded the lasers to LLs - and from there it's been outstanding. The mech can walk its way into a fight and levels stuff once it gets there. Great mech either way though.

#13 Pater Mors

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

Okay, spent a bit of time playing around in smurfy and this is the build I came up with based on suggestions above: HGN-733C

Thoughts?

#14 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

View PostPater Mors, on 26 April 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

Okay, spent a bit of time playing around in smurfy and this is the build I came up with based on suggestions above: HGN-733C

Thoughts?

It looks good! I would swap the ERLL for just normal LL - save yourself a lot of heat for almost the same performance. I'm not sure that Artemis is required - you may consider dropping it and gaining another 2 DHS or a JJ depending on if you want to control heat more or gain some mobility.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

View PostPater Mors, on 26 April 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

I keep the AC/20 on my primary Brawler build. But I back it up with 2 ER PPC, which allow me a great deal of ranged firepower, but also give me the punch of a second AC/20, albeit a much hotter one. The hard part, for me was finding the right missile arrangement, which I still am more "settling for" than prefer, so it has a 3 pack of SSRM.

Conversely, in another build, I go with the 3 SRM6, no arty (I usually use them when I can see the white of their eye, or in desperation, lol) and build the primary aresenal around a single ERPPC and 2 UAC5. Both work pretty well, as long as I don't get stupid. (A big if)

I actually prefer the 733P though.

#16 LtZerge

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Since we're sharing builds...

HGN-733C

This is basically the same as my old Atlas DDC setup but with jump jets. The UAC5s are your primary for ranged damage, but work well in a brawl as well. Keep the armor at max everywhere but that left arm, it's mainly for blocking as it contains only a single SRM. Leg armor is important on your highlander if you're hopping a lot because shots at your torso will tend to smash your shins. Ammo is just right if you're landing shots well. Only time I've run out is at the very end of a match where it's just, say, me vs a single remaining light.

I would avoid trying to make an XL sniper out of the 733C, as it's more fit to be a jumping atlas D brawler than a super cat3D. Save that for the other variants.

#17 jozkhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 384 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

I think as a reaction against pop tarts I stripped the jump jets out of mine and put in the highest XL engine and turned mine into a brawler, I'm enjoying it as it seems to have some real staying power.

#18 Nexus Omega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Guess I will give you my build too,

I am running:
325XL
2xPPC
2xAC5 5 tons of ammo
3xJJ
Fill with DHS

Used to run twin UAC's but always ran out of ammo, (and it runs hotter) its amazing how useful it can be to downgrade to the AC5, sometimes.

I don't use it as the standard pop tart, but I find the Jump jets extremely useful for getting shots into the enemy.while advancing or moving though cover, the extra speed of the 325 is great.
I never felt the AC20 was very useful on the highlander, unlike the Atlas.

#19 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

I'm going with:
XL 325
AC/20
2x PPC
3x SSRM
4x JJ
Endo/DHS

#20 Conraire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTexas/Georgia

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

On my Long Range build, I run:
XL 325
2x UAC5
2x LL
3x SSRM2
3x JJ
Endo/DHS

And I say long range, only because it gives me the ability to engage at that range. But, the XL hasn't stopped me from running in and brawling if I need to, to save buddies.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users