Who Else Liked The Game More Before Dhs Were Introduced?

41 replies to this topic

#1 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

I sure did!

There is too much damage flying about now that PGI have fixed their netcode.

Coolshot hasn't helped any either. But I guess $$$ are more important than game balance so we are stuck with it...

The clans are just going to be a complete disaster for this game - I'd love to know how a HBK IIC is ever going to be balanced :rolleyes:

Here's hoping for a 3025 league or something similar so we can avoid the ridiculousness when it comes.

#2 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Your memory tricked you, the game was not much different back then. At the time Dragon bowling and fast laserboat Hunchbacks were the FOTM.

#3 Hellcat420

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

mechlab is the problem, not double heatsinks.

#4 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

I still think they should roll back to 3025. No DHS, no ES, no FF, no ER weapons, no UAC, just good ol' tier 1 tech.

And no cheesy Clans. We have enough fighting between the Inner Sphere houses to last us 25 years, and the mercenary market is *good*.

#5 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

I dont see double heat sinks being a problem at all. I do see lowering the heat of large energy weapons as a big contributor to making high damage alpha snipers a viable play style.

Bump the PPC up to 9, the ER to 13, LL to 8, and the ERLL to 10. In addition a mech should take damage when their heat level reaches a certain threshold, regardless if the mech shut down automatically or the shut down was over ridden. I think 115-120% heat level is a good place. Also heat induced ammo explosions at those levels.

#6 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Dragon bowling was rare, at least until OB started. I've took a break after that.
There were about 50 Gausscats for every Dragon exploiter, who used Dragon only for collisions. Most Dragon pilots fought while trying to avoid collisions just like anyone else, because the mech could hit the dirt almost as often as the other one.

SHS were tough, tbh. You can pick any stock mech to have a taste. Ours were a bit more optimized, but for example a Hunchback or Centurion could shoot only several AC20 shots before heat became a problem. LRM Catapults were overheating as well. On my Centurion I had to make a choice between shooting single LL or two MLas.

Swaybacks, Gausscats and assaults boating either LRMs or MLas/MPlas with as much SHS as possible (15+ outside engine) were the most frequent sight.

The game was broken, horribly. Just imagine being able to fire an ER PPC once every ten seconds and nothing else. Twice if in an assault fully loaded with heatsinks.

#7 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostBloody Moon, on 10 June 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

Your memory tricked you, the game was not much different back then. At the time Dragon bowling and fast laserboat Hunchbacks were the FOTM.

those were good times. forest colony all day long. zombie hunch backs:P now the game sucks

#8 Inappropriate1191

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

I'm noticing a lot of [Redacted] who wish to impose a handicap upon perfectly valid tech because they can't adapt, and, rather than just taking their lumps and moving on, instead wish to force others to play to their rules, their style.

Edited by Niko Snow, 11 June 2013 - 11:12 AM.
Inappropriate Language

#9 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostKitane, on 10 June 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

SHS were tough, tbh. You can pick any stock mech to have a taste. Ours were a bit more optimized, but for example a Hunchback or Centurion could shoot only several AC20 shots before heat became a problem. LRM Catapults were overheating as well. On my Centurion I had to make a choice between shooting single LL or two MLas.

Good thing SHS could cool 2 ML or a single LL in a turn. But, not in MWO, no sir! Strap on some DHS and get some Heatcap-R-US!

#10 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

View Postkeith, on 10 June 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

those were good times. forest colony all day long. zombie hunch backs:P now the game sucks

The game was certainly more broken back then....but yes certainly more fun

#11 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

Rofl and the howling that came when PGI stuck to their guns and kept dhs 1.4 instead of actually double.

Back when people were still playing 9SL Swaybacks. I told them that if dhs weee actually 2.0 imagine that config but with ML instead. The potential for energy boating would be enormous and make heat irrelevent in a game where it's all about heat management. Now we got ppl actually calling for more heat.

Just goes to show, and I've been saying it all along, PGI are the only ones that have all the data and can base long term decisions off the metrics. Not some narrow, biased view of some forum poster.

#12 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

well i knew less about hte game back then so i can't say much.

they need to buff the single heat sinks tho! make trial mechs viable

#13 BookWyrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Loved the game then, as I do now. I just hope for, and expect, far better. I've been waiting a long time for the next decent Battletech universe game and I hope this is it. I plunked down a number of dollars to prove it. Do right by us PGI, that's it.

Edited by BookWyrm, 10 June 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#14 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

SHS = Gauss and Small Laser overlords.

#15 Pinselborste

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

the problem is that pgi tried to use TT weapon stats, while the Heat, movement and shooting mechanics are totally different than they are in mwo.

the idea is nearly as bad as trying to play icehokey with an baseballbat, hokey is supposed to be played with a hokeystick and not a baseballbat.

Edited by Pinselborste, 10 June 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#16 Zarkus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

To be fair, while the Mechwarrior story itself didn't suffer from the Clan invasion, tabletop was wrecked by it. For those that remember BattleForce rules, a lance (not star) of Clan mediums had the same firepower (with superior range) as an Inner Sphere Assault lance, with the mobility of an Inner Sphere light/recon lance.

To those of us playing tabletop at the time, initially it was candyland, finding new ways to blow things up more efficiently than previously possible. Later, it was simply uninteresting to me - damage had drastically outstripped defenses (mobility and armor combined). 3025-3026, far as I'm concerned, was the peak of the BattleTech ruleset.

#17 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

HSR more than makes up for anything that I've loved and lost. The lag truly was that bad.

#18 Taemien

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostZarkus, on 10 June 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

To be fair, while the Mechwarrior story itself didn't suffer from the Clan invasion, tabletop was wrecked by it. For those that remember BattleForce rules, a lance (not star) of Clan mediums had the same firepower (with superior range) as an Inner Sphere Assault lance, with the mobility of an Inner Sphere light/recon lance.

To those of us playing tabletop at the time, initially it was candyland, finding new ways to blow things up more efficiently than previously possible. Later, it was simply uninteresting to me - damage had drastically outstripped defenses (mobility and armor combined). 3025-3026, far as I'm concerned, was the peak of the BattleTech ruleset.

What does clan have to do with current balances?

If MWLL can have 4 LBX20 Fafnirs and 4 cERPPC Novacats Balanced against Bushwhackers and Awesomes (yeah I would wreck a Novacat in an Awesome). Then I'm sure MWO would be fine.

Also back in CB, many of my configs still worked. Its just I have higher DPS due to having DHS. It wouldn't change what I bring to the table, just what I can do with it. Oh.. and that would only be on Caustic and Tourmaline. I'd be fine on the other matches.

3025 era tech wouldn't change anything to be honest. Someone will find a boat that works, everyone will flock to it, and then you all will complain.

If you don't want high alpha boats then get rid of the Mechlab. Stock only is the only way. I'll support that. But the amount of whine and groaning will cause an act of congress.

Edited by Taemien, 10 June 2013 - 06:07 PM.

#19 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostTaemien, on 10 June 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

What does clan have to do with current balances?

If MWLL can have 4 LBX20 Fafnirs and 4 cERPPC Novacats Balanced against Bushwhackers and Awesomes (yeah I would wreck a Novacat in an Awesome). Then I'm sure MWO would be fine.

Not to go too far into this off-topic sub-discussion, but MWO =/= MWLL. MWO is being made by PGI. These are the people that believe in 3-second Jenners and devastating 6-MG Spiders. Current IS weapons are having a hard time getting balanced alone; we shouldn't get our hopes up for whatever implementation of the Clans PGI has planned (gonna be either underpowered or overpowered).

Edited by FupDup, 10 June 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#20 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

I don't know what difference SHS made.

The game for me in stanges went: Slasback, World of Jenner Online, Gausscat, Streakcat, World of Raven Online, Splatcat, LL Boat, PPC boat, Poptarts ahoy, and so on so forth.

The game was never 'better'. Some of us just have rose tinted neurohelmet HUDs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users