Annoucing the Razer Artemis!

345 replies to this topic

#121 Mikro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

Hey I got that concept already just hook us up with joystick support and I think most of us are ready to go

#122 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

I bought Logitech 5 speaker surround system and I haven't had any issues they work great. I did have a Sataki joystick with a detachable game controler and I didn't like it very much and never used the game pad since I am a old school mouse and keyboard first person player.

Never owned a Razor product. Mouse is a ONN, and my keyboard is a old Gateway 2000.

a the good old days of 486 Gateway 2000, Xwing, TIE fighter, and Doom.

I'm not saying the Artemis joystick will be a bad idea. I also have never bought a Razer product. Also When the new Doom came out they released 6 of these customized first person game controlers.

I'm not trying to burst bubbles.

They just don't have the market right now 2012. I think Xbox 360 tried a custom joystick thing with one Armored Core game in 2009, and both the game and joystick flopped big time. Its a huge gamble releasing it now. I would wait until you get the reviews in from sites like Gamespot, IGN, Gamestop.

Thanks

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 05 June 2012 - 05:06 PM.

#123 Belisarius1

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

I'm surprised at how negative people are on this. I won't be buying it because I'm happy with kb/m, but I thought a lot of the joystick jocks would be quite keen. Fair enough.

I will say I like Hawken's double-stick more, and I'm also concerned about the screen pushing the price point excessively high without really helping all that much.

Even if I won't buy it, I'm very glad it's there. I've had no problems with Razer peripherals and I'd consider it an announcement worth the hype.

#124 ThunderHorse

• PipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 83 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Sorry, don't see the point of this. I'd rather go with the Logitech G940. Let's compare why:
CAUTION: Words ahead. Skip to "In closing" if words frighten you :/

1) Force feedback. Take it or leave it, I don't care too much unless it is implemented very well. Both sticks have them. Tie.

2) Throttle. What is that little thing on the left side? My son's sit-n-scoot (or whatever that thing is called) has the same looking throttle, albeit in crappy purple :P

3) Buttons/functionality. The G940 has 8 of them right below the throttle and a gaggle of them, including 4 way hats, etc., ALL over the throttle. The Artemis has a fair number, for which you have to remove your hand from the throttle to use, and a screen, which may be helpful to commanders, raises the price (below), limits compatibility with other games, and forces us to remove our eyes from the screen, not to mention seems redundant with the on-screen HUD elements.
EDIT: from product description, "Two 8-way hat switches, Four programmable buttons on grip, Two rotary analog controls, Eight programmable base buttons with independent interactive LED backlighting and user changeable legends"

4) Price: I'm not looking for cheap. I want my product to last. But let's think realistically for a moment. I'm throwing down $260-300 on the Logitech and getting what I consider to be acceptable quality. I haven't heard of these things breaking with reasonable use. While I'd like a metal product, I'm pretty sure we don't want to pay significantly over $300 for a HOTAS system. Which brings me to...

5) Value. The Razor product is for 1 game only. The Logitech system can be used in flight sims and mechwarrior games past, present, and future. (Note that the system registers the G940 as 3 joysticks and you have to program a workaround to get certain games to view 1 "virtual joystick." Don't remember how as I don't have the stick. I'm sure Google is your friend...). If the Artemis is released matching this concept's specs, I think I'd rather spend the extra money that the Artemis would cost versus the G940 to help purchase a multi-monitor setup instead. Every little bit helps.

In Closing, I love the idea of the Artemis. I want it to happen, and I want to be proved wrong on ALL points above. Please make me regret buying a G940 or whatever I end up buying. But realistically will we be able to use it for anything else? Is it a good value at all? These are hard questions to answer. Besides, when we have official confirmation of features & supported hardware, I believe the G940 will be a better value available immediately after the game's launch.

Edited by ThunderHorse, 05 June 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#125 Gendou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

Wait, wait, wait... what?

There's a controller for Hawken now too?
Posted Image

#126 ThunderHorse

• PipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 83 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostGendou, on 05 June 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

Wait, wait, wait... what?

There's a controller for Hawken now too?
Posted Image

Beautiful at first, but it looks gimmicky. And quick to break. Please prove me wrong, phantom stick designer.

#127 Saxophonist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

Really? This seems rather lame. And it has Force Feedback. In my stick experience, FF IS ALWAYS A BAD THING. It is unreliable, and just makes the game seem cheap. And besides, you are piloting a robotic machine. It's fly-by-wire, for lack of a better term. There is no force. You just push the stick, and it goes there. Plus, it includes a **Partial** keyboard, so I doubt you can assign keys (at least not to a great extent). And this was WAY too much hype for this one thing. Also, I would have preferred Logitech or Saitek to make this, not Razer.
They should stick to mice.

#128 coRpSE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationBack of your Mind!!!

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

I will more and likely will not be buying this for I have had a string with bad luck with Razor products. I had 3 different mice die with in a few months of owning them. I also had a head set through them that had issues with the wire with in about 6 months of owning it. I been since then running a Logitech Keyboard and mouse with no issues, and a Plantronics headset with no issue. Luckily for one of the mice, I got for free from a friend so it was not my money that went down the tubes.

#129 M G

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

Looks pretty slick. Count me in.

#130 A 143

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 25 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

so wait all that suspence for a controller.... seriously? i mean it looks cool and all (from what ive seen in the concept drawing) but this has litle to nothing to do with the actual game other than the fact it was made for it...... also from what ive seen and heard razor is not well known for the quality and life span of there products.

Edited by A 143, 05 June 2012 - 05:58 PM.

#131 Valdrune

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

My Naga has lasted for years of WoW raiding and beyond with no problems. My Steel series headset on the other hand, lost sound to one ear then the other in less than 6 months and both products were pampered so I suppose your mileage may vary regardless of manufacturer.

#132 Original ArchAngel

• PipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 73 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

This a concept thing or a possible thing?.. :P

#133 Fearful

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationXanadu

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Daddy likes.

#134 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

A lot of good points raised thus far.

I do hope it is modular. Some people will want to side-mount the stick and keypad.

I also hope the GUI software will be able to utilize some or all of the components in other games. I can think of a number of uses for that center display.

I have my doubts the center display would be touch-sensitive. That would drive up the cost to the point where it would be cheaper to by a Thrustmaster or high-end Saitek stick instead ... which would ensure this device flops if that happens.

To Saxophonist. I'm not a big fan of force feedback either. And you are correct that any such machine would be 'fly by wire'. However, to play devils advocate, you are not flying. The relative motion of the machine ... not to mention impacts from weapons hits, are going to bounce you and your controller around inside the cockpit regardless.

#135 Hayashi Killian

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

It just needs the multi-functional throttle and it mirrors the HOTAS setup of the F16 perfectly. Seriously, they just outright copied the F16 stick. The only thing on there I don't see is the NWS/A-R DISC/MSL STEP/A-G TOGGLE toggle. The rest of it -- MFD display, countermeasures management, hat switch -- is all there.

#136 Halfinax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

Jeez, I'm surprised all the hate that this announcement is getting. If I didn't already own a good HOTAS I'd be interested especially since it has the tactical display, but then I'm a sim nut, and have oogled many fine tactical displays. Sure with Razor it's going to be a bit pricey, but I've not been let down by any of their products before.

Why the assumption it will only work with MW:O? It's a joystick and keypad. A lot of games support both.

I think the biggest news this implies is that we will have joystick support, so that is fantastic news.

Edited by Halfinax, 05 June 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#137 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

this is unfortunate. razer is one of my boycott companies because a product i bought from them inexplicably died after the release of the newer model- which by the way suffered from extreme precision issues on anything but a razer control. on top of that I couldn't even get in contact with support to return or replace so as far as i'm concerned razer is dead to me

#138 lilsmoove27

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Has anybody been Approved to play yet and i'm just the last one? or is the game released later and i'm a melon?

#139 Spiralcrisis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 207 posts
  • LocationI'm not sure I want to know.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

I just had an idea for the screen, although this assumes a touchscreen. When I'm not playing MWO have it display and work as a QWERTY keyboard. I wouldn't need my keyboard and my desk would just be my Artemis, monitor, and mouse.

#140 Kooroush Azartash

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Not sure if you saw this page, but this shows some pictures of the controller:

http://www.razerzone.com/artemis

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users