Lights Are Destroying This Game.

232 replies to this topic

#1 151st Light Horse Regiment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

It's the primary reason i want to punch my screen nearly every time i play.

I hate lights. ECM, excessive speed, and in the right setup, a good array of weapons.

Remember that youtube video of dozens of tiny bees swarming all over those huge *** killer hornet wasps? That's basically what this game is every single time.

A classic example was just now on frozen city. Playing a jager and some commando scrub just ran round the back of me at 135kph and popped my back armour. He can run quicker than i can turn, and because of the buildings i got stuck. Dead in 20 seconds.

Matchmaking, screw you. Give me the option of playing against only heavies or assaults please.

inb4 lrn2play, lightsrox, ujustsuxlolz

Edited by 151st Light Horse Regiment, 28 April 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#2 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 28 April 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

Lights used to be a nightmare but not anymore

if you have still issues with lights than you have to improve.

He can run quicker than i can turn

i)deceleration helps with torso twisting

ii)turn max left, press c and swing right fast - or the other way around

iii)press your back to a wall

iv)jump jets are awesome for twisting

v)stick to your team /run back to your team

vI) shoot their legs, except for commandos -you can straight shoot their centre torso (arguably Jenners also, but i still go for their legs^^ )

vii) don´t get nervous, aim calmly

Edited by Solomon Ward, 28 April 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#3 skullman86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Jager doesn't have any horizontal movement in the arms, so yes, you are at a disadvantage when someone is behind you. Most heavies cant circle strafe lighter mechs to save their life, so you have to get creative and Solomon pretty much hit the nail on the head with his suggestions. You cant just run in a straight line, you need to treat every 1v1 like it's a dogfight.

Also, how much rear armor are you running on your jager and are you twisting to spread the damage?

Edited by skullman86, 28 April 2013 - 07:26 AM.

#4 Duncan Aravain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBehind you with a sharp tool...er,mech

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

I can see you complaining about having to face a wolf pack of lights; everyone fears that event. However, complaining about one light mech being too tough to handle....really?

#5 Zylo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

Never had issues with lights playing my Jagermech, in fact I love meeting them as they are often a 1-shot kill (2 if I go for the legs). Meeting a group of more than 2 can be an issue, but a single light shouldn't be a problem.

Don't try to circle with a light. If your engine is too small you may have trouble. In that case you need to look at your mech design or playstyle as the source of the issues dealing with light mechs.

#6 Iphariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 242 posts
  • LocationHannover

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

View PostSolomon Ward, on 28 April 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

vii) don´t get nervous, aim calmly

that is the most important you have to do, when fighting lights.

#7 Molvanian

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

"You have to improve" Yeah... ********. Lights can circle a heavy, maybe even a medium, faster then it can turn at ANY speed. Even reversing and pivoting isn't enough.

This isn't about skill, it's about dominant strategy, look the term up. Yes, an ***** playing a light will lose. A halfway decent player in a light will kill anyone in a heavy, regardless of their skill.

I have played this franchise since MW 2. MW 2 consequently was a better made game then this unbalanced load. Not worth the zero dollars I paid for it.

Oh, and before someone says it? 340 rated engine, maxed out twisting pilot bonuses. Still not enough.

#8 Liberator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

It's the primary reason i want to punch my screen nearly every time i play.

I hate lights. ECM, excessive speed, and in the right setup, a good array of weapons.

Remember that youtube video of dozens of tiny bees swarming all over those huge *** killer hornet wasps? That's basically what this game is every single time.

A classic example was just now on frozen city. Playing a jager and some commando scrub just ran round the back of me at 135kph and popped my back armour. He can run quicker than i can turn, and because of the buildings i got stuck. Dead in 20 seconds.

Matchmaking, screw you. Give me the option of playing against only heavies or assaults please.

my 300 engine cata can deal with lights just fine using large lasers, same with my much slower atlas. If you cannot keep up with their speed, then turn the other way, or as others said stick with your mates, a light can only reliably dodge a single enemy.

How is your fps and ping?

#9 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

Assault>Heavy>Medium>Light>Assault.

Working as intended.

#10 Molvanian

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

That sort of "rock paper scissors" auto win thing isn't how it's supposed to work. It's balanced in a technical way, but not in any way that resembles fun.

Also, I realized something. The only really big guns, save the ACs, are mostly specialized for long range combat. With the rotary ACs and all the ultras besides the 5 not included, there are no large brawling weapons. Meaning most lights HAVE THE SAME WEAPON LOAD OUT AS MOST NON-SNIPER HEAVIES.

Add in that lasers require you to hold on the target for less time then a light needs to be in front of you when circling at 180 kph, and suddenly you have issues. You NEED ER PPCs and AC 20s to beat a light. That's... not the build I want, not balanced, and really not logical.

The vastly reduced turning speed relative to the earlier MW games is... confusing.

Oh, also? Light > Assault & Heavy, and possibly medium. Never tried a brawler medium.

#11 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

Grow a spine.People disagree ocassionally.

No need for alternate accounts.

#12 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

The issue isn't in the mech or the pilot, it's the team.

Where was your teams light / medium to chase off the light and get it into a range where the heavies could burn it down?

#13 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

Let's see. Most times I'm up against a Jagermech in my Jenner I know that all it takes is 1 mistake and I'm dead or minus a leg, and then dead shortly thereafter.

Remember the idea is that all mechs should be viable. The Jager with it's lack of arm actuators should be particularly weak to light mechs.

Or in other words, things re as they should be, quit complaining just because something is more effective vs you than you are vs it. Welcome to build diversity, that commando has things that splat it before it can do anything, it's allowed to be good sometimes.

And yeah, your team's lights should be dealing with it, of course the MM doesn't always give your team lights.
This is what happens when one team gets 3 lights and the other team gets none (and a 75ton +1man advantage).

Edited by One Medic Army, 28 April 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#14 Molvanian

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

All mechs should be viable. Assaults aren't. Staying together on a lot of maps is a recipe for disaster. And expecting one team to have VASTLY MORE COORDINATION Then the other is ludacrice. The counter to a single light is to have four men choose complementing mechs and work as a cohesive unit. That... doesn't sound wrong to you? Really?

PS- Favorite mech on this was the Raven. I've done this strategy. I tried to move away from it, and I had a lot of fun... till I ran back into it.

But hey, the community is small enough that I run into the same players nearly every game, and keeping up an attitude like that will insure it stays like that.

#15 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostMolvanian, on 28 April 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

But hey, the community is small enough that I run into the same players nearly every game, and keeping up an attitude like that will insure it stays like that.

I've often found that if you wait 30 seconds, you'll get a completely different cycle of players. If you have the same 16 hitting the same button at the same time, it's like a sync drop, just not coordinated.

#16 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

You mean this one, 30,000 bees vs 30 hornets?

BTW, the hornets completely SLAUGHTER the bees, just like an assault that can aim does to a commando :D

Edited by Zerberus, 28 April 2013 - 08:27 AM.

#17 151st Light Horse Regiment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

People are suggesting that teamwork is key?

I think less than 5% of my games with these pug noobs have resulted in a decent amount of teamwork.

#18 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

I think "people" are suggesting that the commando's allowed to be good when it sneaks up behind someone and has a clear shot on their back, seeing as most mechs can kill or cripple a commando in a single alpha.

You wouldn't be complaining if you got cored through the front by another heavy mech. Why is it suddenly OP for a light to use it's superior agility to make up for it's crappy armor/weapons load?

Edited by One Medic Army, 28 April 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#19 Psikez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 28 April 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

People are suggesting that teamwork is key?

I think less than 5% of my games with these pug noobs have resulted in a decent amount of teamwork.

Now you're cherry picking despite the flood of people attempting to help you.

You're complaining about a commando (one), the second most laughable of opponents.

Find a team speak if you can't get pugs to work together. I don't find it to be all that hard to type out a few words at the start of a match and form a basic plan and mindset.

#20 pencilboom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 268 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

well..I joined the boaters..and lights usually not a problem for me..2 ppc 2 er ppc, 3 ssrm2..I got swarmed by 3 lights at one match. I popped one of them when they were trying to close the distance on me. hit the side torso and he got one shotted. the two others were a jenner and a streakmando. they were circling me around, I just kept walking backward until my back is against a wall. with careful aim, I legged the jenner in 1 shot. then finished him off with another alpha. the streakmando was more intelligent, moving with unpredictable pattern. I chained fire my ppc's, disrupted his ECM continuously and splat him to death with my 3 ssrm2s.. :D

now..the point is..the one ruining the game is actually the large energy weapon boaters..
"SWARM THE BOATS WITH LIGHTS" people say..but truth is I rarely have any problem with light mechs in my PPC boat especially after the ballistic HSR went live..and I can shred people from a distance as well..without any real consequences

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users