Mechwarrior games are not a representation of the table top...

475 replies to this topic

#141 fearfactory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

View Postgregsolidus, on 08 November 2011 - 06:24 PM, said:

The only problem with that is no one really cares what the fluff says.They would much rather have the system fixed than abandoned.

Even if that is the case... I actually think the best way to fix the MechLab is to simply drop it. Doesn't matter how much time you take to fix the system because someone will break it.

#142 fearfactory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

View Postgregsolidus, on 08 November 2011 - 06:28 PM, said:

Would you mind if you aimed dead center but your laser veered to the bottom right?I understand what your getting at with a cone of fire but the thought of a round not going where I put it seems like a slightly heavy handed solution.

At long range while you're moving, sure. The cone would be larger. Long range and not moving it would be much smaller. This guy made the cone of fire on his own: http://www.virtualcommander.com/

EDIT: Like I said, maneuvering would actually become much more important.

Edited by fearfactory, 08 November 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#143 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

I'm little disappointed that this is a subject developers wont chime in on.

#144 Amechwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 729 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

View Postgregsolidus, on 08 November 2011 - 06:33 PM, said:

I'm little disappointed that this is a subject developers wont chime in on.

They probably have already addressed this in the basic game mechanics, we only have to wait and see what they have came up with.

#145 Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 498 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

Excellent summary of the MW games fearfactory.

And a simple solution for boating is , not to allow it :)
It turns out to be the better BT MW game, and much more fun.

The mechlab shouldn't be tinkering for exploits but enhancing a mech.

Edited by Odin, 08 November 2011 - 06:38 PM.

#146 fearfactory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

View PostAmechwarrior, on 08 November 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

They probably have already addressed this in the basic game mechanics, we only have to wait and see what they have came up with.

They're probably laughing at all of us. :)

#147 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

What ever happened to Mchawkeye in all of this?

#148 Sartris

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

View Postfearfactory, on 08 November 2011 - 06:38 PM, said:

They're probably pleased that people care this much about their game

#149 Amechwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 729 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

View Postfearfactory, on 08 November 2011 - 06:38 PM, said:

This is why I said earlier that I would have been happy to drop the subject of targeting.

#150 godzofwar

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Locationdeep in the dark reaches of unknown space

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

well i have read all 7 pages the 1 thing that hasent been said is the near 300 years of loor tech for the universe. there are diferent designs wepon & targeting systems. tech from starleague to dark age is vastley different. so it is the timeline in wich you play in is the setup for the mech that may be avaliable.

now mind you i have every piece of liturature writen & played every game made, yes even for the sega gensis, so there is alot of media for the makers of this game to research. so i beg your pardon to let them do what they do & speculate no more.

on the flip side boaters are out there & should be remanded to how the people do setups then be thrown together by what the servers detect in the loadouts. that way a balanced player can play with other like players.

#151 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

Maybe we could just segregate boaters from the rest of the community?

#152 Jack Deth

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

I think we can all agree that boating and rampant legging detract from the game. The cone of fire idea is probably closest to what TT guys are going to want. For a better 'sim' feel, I think the solution would be to increase the realism of the physics ... like make the mechs move at a realistic speed, and if you're running your cockpit and targeting reticle is going to be bouncing around like Michael J. Fox is your gunner.

I think probably something that combines the best of both worlds will probably make the game the "most fun" though. A "happy medium", if you will.

#153 fearfactory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

View PostSartris, on 08 November 2011 - 06:48 PM, said:

They're probably pleased that people care this much about their game

That's one thing the MechWarrior community can agree on: We love the franchise no matter what.

View Postgregsolidus, on 08 November 2011 - 06:51 PM, said:

Maybe we could just segregate boaters from the rest of the community?

Not even necessary... as much as I hate it, boating is a legitimate strategy (look at the Catapult, Whitworth, Awesome, etc).

EDIT: It's why I feel customization is unnecessary. There is a canon variant out there that exists that will suit your needs. This and a cone of fire would stop the massive unbalance boating has done for this franchise.

Edited by fearfactory, 08 November 2011 - 06:57 PM.

#154 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:04 PM

What if the canon variant doesn't exist on the mech I want to use or has weapons (machine guns,flamers) that I find unnecessary?

#155 godzofwar

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

when the discusion was directed on pilot ability i noticed that upgrades on your pilot was not defined. even in the books a pilot got better with each battle. so level of pilots may also be concitered with mach-ups so you wont have a level 20 vs a 5.

also in the later books mechs wern't used as often because of the disarment treaty signed after the jihad event.
something else to think about.
you also have to think about physics when moving firing & also geting hit wich makes it almost imposable to aim at anything even with a highend targeting system

#156 Sartris

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

View Postgregsolidus, on 08 November 2011 - 07:04 PM, said:

What if the canon variant doesn't exist on the mech I want to use or has weapons (machine guns,flamers) that I find unnecessary?

This is why I think there needs to be at least a little customization.

#157 fearfactory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

View Postgregsolidus, on 08 November 2011 - 07:04 PM, said:

Make due like the rest of us or pick something else and stop complaining. Kind of like those who can't stand the SRM's on the Jenner... why not use the other variant to keep things simple instead of customizing it? I mean, the SRM-2 isn't my primary choice of weapon, but it hasn't stopped me from using the Assassin. Shoot, why waste your time with a Centurion when you hate Autocannons and lack of Jump Jets when you can simply take a dang Vindicator?

#158 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

I know they can find a way.Its not impossible.

#159 godzofwar

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

when the weapon is able to be changed on the mech then it should be a like weapon like a small laser or machine gun or something for small load pices. do you think ya can yank a flamer & drop in a gaus, i dont think it would be feasible

#160 fearfactory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

View Postgodzofwar, on 08 November 2011 - 07:15 PM, said:

when the weapon is able to be changed on the mech then it should be a like weapon like a small laser or machine gun or something for small load pices. do you think ya can yank a flamer & drop in a gaus, i dont think it would be feasible

The TT handles this in Strategic Operations with different classes of refits. The higher the refit class, stacked with equipment (or lack of it) to perform the task, the higher the risk of some kind of failure/faulty installation. IMO, it seems that "we don't care about fluff" is the only justification for having customization in MechWarrior despite the fact that it is what has horribly unbalanced the game (making it easier to take advantage of things like legging opponents with laser spam).

Edited by fearfactory, 08 November 2011 - 07:21 PM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users