Crash To Desktop After 5 Sec.

29 replies to this topic

#21 DreyfussFrost

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

When exactly was the bug you're talking about introduced? OP may be crashing 1 in 10 games, but I have been lucky to play maybe 1 in 30 rounds to completion since around the time of the Jagermech patch, BEFORE the Heavy Metal patch when everyone else started having problems. Also, I only get this crash when using the internet at one physical location, but not another. Unfortunately, the one is where I live. I haven't been able to test the new patch yet, but I'll repost here when I do.

#22 JackPoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

View PostKarl Berg, on 03 May 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

The hotfix is up now, so this specific crash to desktop should be fixed. As always, it's a big help to us if you file a report and submit a crash dump when you do encounter a crash.

Thanks!

Well it didn't work, still CTD and locking up.. same as before, also hud issues IFF still messed up..

#23 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostTheBaron, on 03 May 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

When exactly was the bug you're talking about introduced?

This specific issue should have been introduced on April 16th.

View PostJackpoint, on 03 May 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

Well it didn't work, still CTD and locking up.. same as before, also hud issues IFF still messed up..

HUD issues are separate; although it's very unfortunate to hear you're actually locking up and crashing as well. I suggest getting in contact with the support team so they can get us any crash dumps your game has saved out.

#24 DreyfussFrost

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostKarl Berg, on 03 May 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

This specific issue should have been introduced on April 16th.

Well then it's not the issue I've been having, because mine started in March. Just came home for lunch to try the new patch, was about to say how stoked I was that I could finally play again! 2 rounds finished without issue! 6 minutes into the third, AS I AM TYPING "I can't tell you how happy I am just to be able to play again" into chat, crash to mechlab...

Wow... I think a hammer to the nuts would hurt less than that crash did. Thankfully I hear there's supposed to be another netcode fix on Tuesday. Can you go into any detail about that? My issue has been related to malformed packets.

#25 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostTheBaron, on 03 May 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

crash to mechlab...
Thankfully I hear there's supposed to be another netcode fix on Tuesday. Can you go into any detail about that?

It's very important to note that this is not a crash, which would involve the entire game up and actually crashing on you. The issue you're reporting is a disconnect from the dedicated server you were playing on, so you won't have any crash dump for us, although it's very interesting that you're experiencing this.

The Tuesday thing, would you mind linking to that? ;) I must admit that I haven't seen this particular news item. I might be able to go into detail, depending on what this netcode fix is supposed to be.

#26 NinetyProof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostKarl Berg, on 03 May 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

The Tuesday thing, would you mind linking to that? ;) I must admit that I haven't seen this particular news item. I might be able to go into detail, depending on what this netcode fix is supposed to be.

This happened to me maybe 2 nights ago, and on the same night happened to somebody else in my unit. We were doing 8v8 sync drops so I heard about it on TS.

Symptoms are: In game, open chat, type for a moment, DC. I can't recall if my DC was during typing or upon hitting enter. I think it was upon hitting enter, but can't recall.

#27 DreyfussFrost

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostKarl Berg, on 03 May 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

It's very important to note that this is not a crash, which would involve the entire game up and actually crashing on you. The issue you're reporting is a disconnect from the dedicated server you were playing on, so you won't have any crash dump for us, although it's very interesting that you're experiencing this.

Well I was aware it's because of a disconnect, but "Crash to desktop after 5 seconds" sums it up pretty well, and I'm looking for anything that could be related. It's also odd that I managed to play 2 games in a row after this patch, since I've seriously become accustomed to any finished games being a rarity. I've been in contact with Reppu about it for the last month, and he told me this today:

Next week's patch (May 7th) includes some adjustments to the netcode which should help this situation a bit. I'd like to hear how the patch affects you please, I'll hold this ticket in pending status until then.

Cheers!
Regards,
Reppu
Senior GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

Not sure if that's supposed to be public knowledge, but I figure if I hear about it over the public support line then it's not a secret or anything.

I'm glad you say it's interesting by the way, I've been hoping there's something to be fixed on your end, since my ISP isn't being very responsive and I don't get this problem in any other game.

View PostNinetyProof, on 03 May 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

This happened to me maybe 2 nights ago, and on the same night happened to somebody else in my unit. We were doing 8v8 sync drops so I heard about it on TS.

Symptoms are: In game, open chat, type for a moment, DC. I can't recall if my DC was during typing or upon hitting enter. I think it was upon hitting enter, but can't recall.

The issue I described has nothing to do with chatting, it was just a coincidence that I was typing when I disconnected. 90% of games disconnect before I even get a chance to type anything.

Edited by TheBaron, 03 May 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#28 Eldarstorm

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostKarl Berg, on 29 April 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

Hey everyone. Just a quick heads up that a major cause of crash to desktop issues was identified from the crash dumps last friday, and a fix has been given to QA for emergency testing and launch. Not sure of when exactly this will end up getting patched out, but this issue is severe enough that will be rushed through with a very high priority.

Detailed reason for the crash if you're curious:

We recently introduced code making use of the MASKMOVDQU SSE instruction to write out only the first 4-bytes of a result from a 16-byte SSE register coming out of a hand-optimized function. Turns out that this instruction pulls in a full 128 bits of data from main memory, does the masked update on CPU, and then writes the full 128 bits back out to main memory regardless of which bytes were actually changed.

I've not made use of this particular instruction before, and the documentation didn't hint that this might be an issue, even though now it seems pretty obvious in hindsight ;). So if we were unlucky enough that the memory address we were writing back to was aligned right next to another page marked as unwritable, the kernel would generate an access violation.

As a professional Software engineer with close to 10 years experience, if your doing hand-optimized stuff then I'm not surprised you are introducing bugs.

Please stop, I'm sure there are safer ways to optimize the code.

Edited by Eldarstorm, 04 May 2013 - 12:55 AM.

#29 Kataris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostEldarstorm, on 04 May 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

As a professional Software engineer with close to 10 years experience, if your doing hand-optimized stuff then I'm not surprised you are introducing bugs.

Please stop, I'm sure there are safer ways to optimize the code.

I concur, hand-optimizing sounds ******** crazy. Did development not just announce a month ago that they just started working with a new test system? Speaking of testing, decided to play some tonight with the new hotfix. On the 3rd match, the client froze with sound a mouse pointer still working, 5 seconds later it crashed to desktop. Where shall I send this crash log?

Edited by Kataris, 05 May 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#30 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostKataris, on 05 May 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

I concur, hand-optimizing sounds ******** crazy. Did development not just announce a month ago that they just started working with a new test system? Speaking of testing, decided to play some tonight with the new hotfix. On the 3rd match, the client froze with sound a mouse pointer still working, 5 seconds later it crashed to desktop. Where shall I send this crash log?

Please send the crashdumps to the support team at IGP. They will take care of getting it entered into our bug tracker so that we can pull it down and debug what happened.

http://mwomercs.com/support

View PostTheBaron, on 03 May 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Not sure if that's supposed to be public knowledge, but I figure if I hear about it over the public support line then it's not a secret or anything.

Followed up on this, and there is some mid-game disconnect fixes related to deprecated CryLobby code. I had thought this launched with last patch, but it didn't quite make the testing cut-off in time, so it's coming out tomorrow instead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users