(De-)Activation Of Ams

24 replies to this topic

Poll: (De-)Activation Of Ams (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the idea of OP?

1. YES (51 votes [91.07%])

Percentage of vote: 91.07%

2. NO (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'd rather it obeyed Line of Sight, instead of me needing to directly control it. Why does it need to shoot through solid rock & sky scrapers like magic anyway? It shouldn't waste ammo on missiles (totally) obstructed by (full) cover in the first place.

(EDIT)

Edited by Grey Ghost, 01 May 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#22 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

I just found out recently that AMS does actually adhere to LOS (well, not perfect LOS, since it looks through structures). If you have your back turned to the missiles that are hitting you, AMS is simply not operational.

#23 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

Yes please. If youre behind cover you dont need to be wasting AMS ammo and giving away your position to the enemy. AMS needs an on/off switch.

We also need searchlights on our mechs which we can toggle on/off in night maps.

Lastly we need a toggle on/off for arm lock, the q button, and TAG.

Edited by Khobai, 17 August 2013 - 04:30 AM.

#24 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

This would be usefull on rare occasions, but I like it for the flexibility it offers.

Not to resurrect an old topic, but it would also be even more usefull to allow more than one AMS mount per mech. With current 12v12 matchups, its not hard to run into teams (especially premades) featuring 3 or 4 missile heave mechs. I had one last night where I chewed through 1 ton of AMS ammo in less than 1 minute after the fighting started - and I wasn't the target. There were launches coming in on a single mech of 60 - 80 missiles at a time. great coordination of fire, and I applaude them, but it makes LRMs re-dominate the game. I don't think LRMs need to be adjusted, but the countermeasure (AMS) is no longer effective enough.

1 v 1, AMS can offer a significant counter to a (single) LRM10. The ability to load up to 2 LTRM 20s on a single mech overran AMS (as it should for the game) but still allowed AMS to have an important role at lessening damage.

Pitting AMS against potentially 120 LRMs (12 players mounting an average of one LRM10 per mech) and there is no noticeable decrease in damage. Cosidering you can face launches anywhere from 40 to 120+ LRMs at a time in 12 v 12 play, allowing the choice to stack two AMS units on a mech seems balanced.

It would be a simple adjustment in the coding to allow AMS to go into either a dedicated AMS slot OR any ballistic slot.

Edited by Quaamik, 25 August 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#25 Bendak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 29 April 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Great idea, thanks!

Yup. ^ That.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users